AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Old 2008-01-03, 06:59   Link #21
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwong View Post
Well, I don't know, but the computer guys at work have told me that a PATA drive will not max the USB transfer speeds because the disks aren't fast enough. But I'm looking at wiki, and seems like they're wrong.
It really depends what type of controller is used and how the basic chip program has be optimised. But normally any ATA133 will outrun a USB2.0 HDD, if you are copying from 2 seperate ide channels, if drives are not sharing the same cable.
Correct me if i'm wrong but unless you go for a high rpm, the speed between pata and sata isn't much of different, because you're always limit to ther slowest component. Nevertheless the sata data and power cables, because of the length and width, are mostly the reason why people choose sata drives over pata.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-03, 15:30   Link #22
jpwong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migufuchi Fusutsu View Post
A little off topic, how about sata Dvd writers will it have the same speed as the sata hard drive??

Also a question about light scribe...I know it can make a label for a cd but how is that? do i need to change the ink or something?
I think the only reason to switch to SATA based burners is that the cables are smaller and can be longer than the giant PATA cables. It's useful if you have a very large case.

And from what I've heard, lightscribe just involves turning the disk over and putting it back in the tray. You don't need ink or anything. You just have to make sure you have a CD that can do lightscribe (and a LS burner).
Old 2008-01-03, 20:35   Link #23
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwong View Post
And from what I've heard, lightscribe just involves turning the disk over and putting it back in the tray. You don't need ink or anything. You just have to make sure you have a CD that can do lightscribe (and a LS burner).
Should've bolded that last part, I missed it in your post when I first read it and it's the most important part: in addition to the burner, you need lightscribe CD-Rs. These are special CD-Rs that have a foil on top that can then be etched by the laser. I don't know how much more expensive these discs are over regular CD/DVD-Rs because they're pretty rare compared with the regular stuff. A lot of people see "lightscribe" and think they can use it with regular CD-Rs - it'd be really neat if it were possible, but you'll need special media for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migufuchi Fusutsu
A little off topic, how about sata Dvd writers will it have the same speed as the sata hard drive??
As of now CD/DVD burners are limited by how fast they can write. Whether you have it on SATA or PATA it won't make a difference in the drive's operational speed. As jpwong mentioned, SATA drives are preferable to PATA because the SATA cables are easier to work with overall. Also, serial ATA (SATA) is phasing out parallel ATA (PATA), and many newer motherboards have more serial ports than parallel ports. If a person is buying a new drive today, it'd be a better investment to have it on SATA than PATA - I believe all motherboards have PATA slots currently, but in the near future it's likely that PATA will be dropped altogether.
Old 2008-01-04, 05:15   Link #24
jpwong

I guess I should have emphasised the part about needing special CD-Rs a bit more, this is actually the first time I've seen anyone want to bother with lightscribe. One of my friends told me that it takes a fair bit of time to make the LS side of the CD when they tried it out.

As for how much they cost, I think I've seen them for around 1.5x to 2.0x the cost of a normal brand name CD-R in my area, though you may be able to find better deals online or in your own area. But yeah, as Ledgem mentioned, there's almost no demand for these things, so most stores don't stock them.

In the case of Motherboards, as far as I'm aware, they are continuing to include 1 PATA controller on them, but in all fairness I think it's more because a lot of brick and mortar stores are still selling mostly PATA controller CD/DVD drives. I've yet to see where I live, any SATA controller Burners, so I imagine they'll begin a total phase out once the SATA burners start to become more widely available.

I don't know what it's like for the pre-built computers from any of the companies, though I imagine it's the same sort of thing happenning at the moment, though some companies may have phased out PATA already if the computer ships with a SATA CD/DVD burner.
Old 2008-01-04, 08:55   Link #25
toru310

I see I guess I should just go with a dvd burner with no light scribe then..its much cheaper
toru310 is offline   Reply With Quote