AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-01-07, 18:17   Link #1
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

90s

Firstly: http://myanimelist.net/animelist/2007DigitalBoy

Okay, so I'm looking for awesome 90s shows to watch. As you can see on the list, I'm already watching wuite a few, and the ones I haven't started yet include Irresponsible Captain Tylor, Bubblegum Crisis, Golden Boy, Hurricane Polymar, Tekkaman Blade, and I might try Devi hunter Yohko.

So, are there any totally awsome 90s shows that I am leaving out? I'd like to take care of the whole decade all at once, so gimme anything necessary!
Old 2008-01-07, 18:31   Link #2
Southern Cross
Crux

I wouldn't quite say 90s, (actually released in JP on 1988) but judging from your list I think you'd really come to like Grave of the Fireflies. It's an anime movie about two children struggling to get by with the progression of World War II tearing their lives apart. I'd say more but I really loved it for its pace, and I think you'd appreciate it much better just seeing it all through. Once again, not exactly 90s, but you could say it technically is in the US standpoint (released in the US at around '94. )
Old 2008-01-07, 18:40   Link #3
jedinat
フリーター

AA! Megami-sama!
Card Captor Sakura
Devilman Lady
Hyper Future Vision: Gunnm
Night Walker
Video Girl AI
You`re Under Arrest

I wouldn't say any of those are absolutely must-watch, but they're worth taking a look.
Old 2008-01-07, 18:48   Link #4
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus ex Digital Boy View Post
Firstly: http://myanimelist.net/animelist/2007DigitalBoy

Okay, so I'm looking for awesome 90s shows to watch. As you can see on the list, I'm already watching wuite a few, and the ones I haven't started yet include Irresponsible Captain Tylor, Bubblegum Crisis, Golden Boy, Hurricane Polymar, Tekkaman Blade, and I might try Devi hunter Yohko.

So, are there any totally awsome 90s shows that I am leaving out? I'd like to take care of the whole decade all at once, so gimme anything necessary!
I would recommend that you rip your eyes out before watching Devil Hunter Yohko, because it will save you a lot of unnecessary pain.

Good 90s anime? Gasaraki, for politically-charged mecha, Key the Metal Idol for supernatural mystery, Violinist of Hameln for a dark fantasy (mind the shonky animation, though). For late 90s, Now and Then, Here and There is a timeless masterpiece.

Then there are the classics like Escaflowne, Cowboy Bebop and Trigun, but I see you've seen them anyway.

Edit: Porco Rosso is, for mine, Miyazaki's second best film, behind Castle of the Sky, so I highly recommend that as well.
Old 2008-01-07, 19:03   Link #5
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Yeah you know talking about 90's I just have to mention GaoGaiGar, the defining super robot show of the decade. Also can't forget Martian Successor Nadesico .
I would also suggest Slam Dunk, yeah it's a basketball anime and here's the thing, I don't like basketball and I love this anime. Also it seems that you watched Macross, but if you haven't seen Macross Plus I highly recommended it.
Old 2008-01-08, 06:26   Link #6
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

Isn't GaoGaiGar from the 80s? Anyway, Soorow, I'm already watching Key and Violinist, as stated on MAL, lol, abd yes I know Yohko is horrible, but it oughtta be fun to watch anyway XD.

jedi, thanks for reminding m I need to watch Cardcaptors Sakura. I doubt I'll ever watch Ah my goddess just because I have some natural resistance to it (probaby from reading a volume of the shitty manga) I'll take a look at the other stuff, too.
Old 2008-01-08, 08:20   Link #7
D a m i e n
permanentely bored

Send a message via ICQ to D a m i e n
berserk?
i cant remember when Akira was first released cause it s one of the biggest classic.
giant robot (7OVA) were from th 90s iirc.
i m sure you could dig up some gundam series from the 90s too (wing and victory maybe)
sucks but i cant really remember much
kimengumi was awsome too but i think it s more end of the 80s.

edit : evangelion need to be mentioned too, love it hate it but it has become a must now so... there i mentioned it
Old 2008-01-08, 12:20   Link #8
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Yes you really should watch Cardcaptor Sakura, a true classic and must watch. You should watch Grave of the Fireflies also, even though it's not in the 90s. I would recommend Kite, but I'm not sure how your thoughts are about that kind of anime.
Old 2008-01-08, 15:29   Link #9
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

lol, ince more, read my MAL, I've seen Kite and it's not bad, and I've actually seen half of Grave of the Fireflies never got around to the rest but it plays on the funimation network all the time and I think I have it on my TiVO. I do plan to wath Giant Robo as well, thanks for reminding me ^_^

so far Battle Angel Alita is te coolest looking one (tahnks jedi) so I will prolly check that out.
Old 2008-01-08, 15:59   Link #10
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus ex Digital Boy View Post
Isn't GaoGaiGar from the 80s?
Nope, GaoGaiGar came out during late 90's. Also Battle Angel Alita, I remember that show vaguely, but the show scared the crap out of me, of course I was around 8 or so lot of thing scared the crap out of me back then.
Old 2008-01-08, 20:52   Link #11
digitalmaster287

I can't believe no one mentioned Yu yu Hakusho. Its seriously THE best shounen show of the 90s. I can't think of anything better tbh.
Old 2008-01-08, 21:43   Link #12
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalmaster287 View Post
I can't believe no one mentioned Yu yu Hakusho. Its seriously THE best shounen show of the 90s. I can't think of anything better tbh.
I'm not a fan of shounen shows though, lol. Though I was way into YYh when it was on CN, lol.

I also remembered that I should add GTO to my list :O
Old 2008-01-09, 05:29   Link #13
D a m i e n
permanentely bored

Send a message via ICQ to D a m i e n
GTO anime was horrible imo, one of the biggest disappointemnt