AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Nanoha

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-01-10, 02:06   Link #5281
SpaceBrotha
Wild card
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Finland
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Spoiler for rant:
there's a few errors in your statements:
1. satashi posts fics and chapters like a lunatic, ofc there's enormous amounts of comments and discussion about her work, you might say that most of the posters here ARE her fans

2. other fics do NOT get ignored by default, for example, check the comments for eagles post on the previous page (and i recommend you read the lemon too )

3. it's not exactly mandatory for us to read every single fanfiction that get's posted here, if you think that some fic didn't get the appreciation it deserved then by all means, tell us about that fic and why it was so awesome and there will be discussion about it as well.

just my 5 cents, it's commendable that you try to get attention for others, but please get ALL your facts straight first.

ps. sorry Skyfall, we ended up discussing this matter anyway...
__________________
"Life is the only game in which the object of the game is to learn the rules." Unknown
"The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it." Norman Schwarzkopf
"Whoever stands by a just cause cannot possibly be called a terrorist." Yassar Arafat
Sayings and quotes hold wisdom in them. Either the wisdom is found in the correctness of the quote, or in the lesson learned from the error.
Hard part is figuring out who's making the errors...
SpaceBrotha is offline  
Old 2008-01-10, 02:21   Link #5282
Fuyu no Sora
Mistress of Impatience
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: In a place of extremes. From below freezing to above boiling.
Adding to what ghazghkull has already mentioned, it's not only a matter of preferrence on the genre but a matter of characters as well. Some people that post here come from the OC thread. My point with this? Not everyone knows the characters existing there and, to be frank, I can completely understand why is it that many people here wouldn't go explore the thread and suffer from the hellish backlog that used to exist there if they actually got interested, since I myself have experienced it. Mixing canon characters with original characters, for people not knowing their background, abilities and other details that make them who they are, can make a very good piece of work utterly impossible to understand because of the lack of knowledge in the subject.

And just to be repetitive: It's true that many works here are very good and do not get commented upon. However if people just posted to say "It's good, I like it" it wouldn't be of any profit to the writer and could even be considered spamming.

I end my post with a note of apology to Skyfall, because he wished for this to not be a topic of discussion but we still talked about it.

PS: Now that I remember: Other authors do get commented upon. USB500, for example, got some interesting comments on his works. One of the people commenting was myself and since I felt like I could give some actual constructive criticism, I reviewed some of his chapters. Not all of them because if that was the case, I would've just said "Love the chapter, when's the next update?"
__________________
"You wanted to say that, but you didn't have enough common sense."

Last edited by Fuyu no Sora; 2008-01-10 at 02:49.
Fuyu no Sora is offline  
Old 2008-01-10, 03:02   Link #5283
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Doing Anzu's paperwork.
Age: 28
*nods* Thanks for the replies.

Now that there have been some rather well-thought out replies, I'd like to say that the whole point of the post I made was to shake up the Fanfic Thread residents, to take a look at what the whole point of the thread is.

Space Brotha, by your own statements you acknowledge that most of the action here is Satashi fandom - thus, what's wrong about renaming this thread to focus on Satashi?

My whole objective here is really to shake up the Fanfic Thread and get everyone to give an equal chance to all works. And yes, I admit that OC Thread works can be quite hard to transfer here - which is why I'm not releasing Day of the Cradle in the Fanfic thread. :P It's a fanfic that follows the perspective of Genya and other army members during the cradle event (such as Vice), not the Aces.

I have no ill intentions, and merely wished to point this out so that we all can improve ourselves. Affirmative action has made it everywhere, even to the Navy SEALs - let's bring it to Fanfic Thread! XD

But because Satashi is such a presence, that's why I feel in the interests of efficiency, that if Satashi's the only one gettin' the action, we might as well rename this thread. Just some thoughts.
__________________
~Speaking my mind, even when it costs me~
One must forgive one's enemies, but not before they are hanged.Heinrich Heine.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline  
Old 2008-01-10, 03:32   Link #5284
Kagerou
"Begin, the operation!"
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to Kagerou
Inherent Skill: Silver-Tongued Mediator

Spoiler for The Rant:


Goose hits on a few good points; points of which are both valid, and not so much (suddenly, I feel like I've had this conversation before).

I'm not against Satashi...er, -nyan. Not by any means. He's a pretty good author, one of the best the Nanoverse has, and his output is something I could never hope to match. He's proficient and he knows how to take a rather boring plot hook - honestly, after the 9000+ NanoFate stories, something else would be nice - into at least something worth reading. That's more than what a lot of people can say.

That said, Satashi-nyan has become such a prolific and well-known writer that most people have a hard time getting in on the action, so to speak. New kids to writing are generally ignored and require a lot of time and effort to get themselves known. However, most people are easily discouraged (thank you modern society *gunshot* ), and upon getting little-to-no response, tend to give up? They see Satashi-nyan and think they can't reach his level. That's stupid, and everyone knows it; it takes a bit of effort to make your voice heard.

Let me make a third point: To me, at least, Satashi-nyan seems to be popular nearly enough to the point of idol-worship. This makes people almost blind to each other when someone comes up with something new and exciting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghazghkull View Post
Spoiler for Ghaz's response:


I will agree with you to an extent. People for the most part do not even so much as drop a clue that they've read your story. This makes it frustrating for those who seek reviews and comments. Let's use this for example:

Code:
The Angelic Days of Haruhi Suzumiya	20234	4	26	3566
In that order: Title, words, chapters, reviews, hits.

Using this chart, you can see that the story has been looked at 3,566 times, and people have been kind enough to leave reviews 26 times (I know for a fact that 26 people did not drop a line). So we can assume and generally agree that people don't always comment on what they've read.

That's where I stop agreeing with you.

You've probably noticed that after they drop a line, you never hear from these people again. They don't update or do anything new. I conjecture that, they got no hits or responses, and thus became discouraged and quit. *shrug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBrotha View Post
Spoiler for Response number two:


1. I disagree. Though I like Satashi-nyan's work, I'm not necessarily a "fan" rather than a fellow author that occasionally finds the writing amusing and whatnot. I'm not a hardcore fan of Satashi-nyan, and I don't expect Satashi-nyan to be a big fan of mine. I know people here enjoy the work immensely, just like I enjoy other peoples' works, and are fans of those people.

2. Unfortunately, this is the only example you can give for about a dozen pages. What you neglect to mention is that, when people get on the FF thread here, usually they're looking for whatever Satashi-nyan wrote, not anything else. As for me, I drop in and read something (though like ghaz I'm guilty of not responding), whatever's first, that catches my interest.

You say it's because of Satashi-nyan's writing speed that the reviews come pouring in. I disagree. Here's an example:

1. Satashi has written 69 stories, approximately 22 of which are Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha stories, of various length and chapter size. The most reviews received was 6th Division, Rebirth at 111 reviews, and the least reviewed was On the Town with a staggering 2.

2. Random1377 has written at least 83 stories, 64 of which are Neon Genesis Evangelion stories, again of various length and chapter size. The most reviews received was for Folded Wings with 422 reviews, and the least was Godsend with 4.

What am I getting at and why did I compare the two?
Popularity and status. If you notice, both authors had a point where they were not popular or desired (hence the low-review count), and then, when they became popular, reviews exploded... at the behest of everyone else. I can name a couple of older fanfics that don't get the attention they deserve simply because they are adjacent to one fanfic author or the other. That said, that's no reason for them to stop writing as quickly. It's simply fact that people will always focus on the "popular ones". Otherwise, we wouldn't have celebrity worship.

As for comparing the two, it's easy. In Random-sama's prime he was churning out fanfics like crazy (64 fanfics, not counting lemons, between '01 and '05), and Satashi-nyan is doing similarly (24 stories in a year), though story length tends to be smaller (Random's longest Evafic was 77000 words, Satashi's longest Nanofic was 72000).

Both authors write for the crowd sometimes, catering to the needs of their audience. It's not a bad thing, just something people like me don't do *shrug*.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuyu no Sora View Post
Adding to what ghazghkull has already mentioned, it's not only a matter of preferrence on the genre but a matter of characters as well. Some people that post here come from the OC thread. My point with this? Not everyone knows the characters existing there and, to be frank, I can completely understand why is it that many people here wouldn't go explore the thread and suffer from the hellish backlog that used to exist there if they actually got interested, since I myself have experienced it. Mixing canon characters with original characters, for people not knowing their background, abilities and other details that make them who they are, can make a very good piece of work utterly impossible to understand because of the lack of knowledge in the subject.

And just to be repetitive: It's true that many works here are very good and do not get commented upon. However if people just posted to say "It's good, I like it" it wouldn't be of any profit to the writer and could even be considered spamming.

I end my post with a note of apology to Skyfall, because he wished for this to not be a topic of discussion but we still talked about it.

PS: Now that I remember: Other authors do get commented upon. USB500, for example, got some interesting comments on his works. One of the people commenting was myself and since I felt like I could give some actual constructive criticism, I reviewed some of his chapters. Not all of them because if that was the case, I would've just said "Love the chapter, when's the next update?"
The OC thread is a whole other ballpark from the fanfic thread. Though we have our elites (Aurion, Kha, Nightengale to name a few), there's an informal system that tends to happen, in that a relatively new face will introduce themselves and eventually show what they have. The haxxbusters (TK, Liingo sometimes, a few others sparingly IIRC) show up, bust up some chops and put things in line. Following that, The new kid, having been broken down and built back up (unless they were already that good to begin with) will revamp what they had and throw their new version out for its first true shakedown run. People comment on it, depending; like in the fanfic thread, some don't, but when you're doing a ten-page backlog breaker it's hard not to miss something.

As for USB/Hikki/Lone Wolf, he had a fanbase before he even show'd up, so whatever .

Well, that's my two cents, thanks for your time. I hope this blows things over nicely.
__________________
Kagerou - Generic Universal Rage Producing System
Kagerou is offline  
Old 2008-01-10, 04:30   Link #5285
SpaceBrotha
Wild card
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Finland
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Space Brotha, by your own statements you acknowledge that most of the action here is Satashi fandom - thus, what's wrong about renaming this thread to focus on Satashi?
Because we might scare her off with a stunt like that
no, really, it's a fanfic thread, and even though satashi is currently writing stuff constantly, it doesn't mean that she's hijacked the entire thread or something...
well permanently anyway

@kagerou: good points... now, what about the no. 3 excuse in my post?
__________________
"Life is the only game in which the object of the game is to learn the rules." Unknown
"The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it." Norman Schwarzkopf
"Whoever stands by a just cause cannot possibly be called a terrorist." Yassar Arafat
Sayings and quotes hold wisdom in them. Either the wisdom is found in the correctness of the quote, or in the lesson learned from the error.
Hard part is figuring out who's making the errors...
SpaceBrotha is offline  
Old 2008-01-10, 04:33   Link #5286
Kagerou
"Begin, the operation!"
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to Kagerou
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBrotha View Post
@kagerou: good points... now, what about the no. 3 excuse in my post?
I'm a mediator, not an advertiser. IMO it's up to the reader to discern what to read. I was just saying that there are cases where true epics get lost in the paperwork
__________________
Kagerou - Generic Universal Rage Producing System
Kagerou is offline  
Old 2008-01-10, 05:56   Link #5287
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
You're missing my point, Skyfall. If I were to take your argument and run with it, then what you're saying is that you also have no position to come into OC and tell TK what to say (look, bear with me for a bit, okay?)
To be blunt: actually i am in the position to decide upon such things.

Generally i understand where you are coming from, but that doesn't mean i have to agree with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose
This is not an attack on Satashi (I've got better things to do with my time). My whole point is that if someone else other than Satashi writes something and posts it in here, it won't get commented on. Your statement appears strangely absurd: are you saying that it's alright for just Satashi's work to be commented on and the works of other writers ignored? Taking what you appear to be saying and applying it to another situation, it would appear that since Lord of the Rings was such a ground breaking series with a great deal of material written, people should pay more attention to it instead of other fantasy writings. Or, another example, because there are so many dumb war movies produced, so something like Black Hawk Down ought to be ignored?
Again: it is up to the people what they want to read and what they comment upon. To think they are actually required to comment upon everything that appears is nonsense. It is up to them what works they decide to read, not you or i.

Personally i write something once in a blue moon, yet i always have people commenting on it, so i can say by personal experience that what you are trying to present here is simply wrong. Also consider that there might be reasons why people don't comment on something. Personally i am not reading any yuri piece, be it written by Satashi or not. I will simply ignore such a fic and move on. Point being ? There might be various reasons why people don't read something, contents of the fic not excluded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose
I'm sorry, Skyfall, you're missing the point. The point is not how much comments are given to Satashi's work. The point is that for any author who's username is not Satashi, if they post in here, they get ignored. Thus, since this thread has such a heavy focus to Satashi, it should thus be renamed in the spirit of accuraccy. That's how I'd do it on the other forums where I'm a moderator.
No, you are missing the point. Other works are not getting ignored. I write a story once a month and get 6 people commenting on it. Satashi writes a story every day and gets 8 people commenting on it. Since he writes each day it is perfectly natural for him to receive an overwhelming amount of comments compared to me. I fail to see the fault in this. If a person wants a thread of his own he can go over to the Fan Creations subforum and create one there. This thread is for general Nanoha fanfic discussion, regardless of what gets posted here and by whom. The thread stays as it is; this isn't a subject for discussion in this particular case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose
Or to put it another way... you're saying that JK Rowling should get more discussion and fame for Harry Potter, even if Mark Bowden's Black Hawk Down is a better book. Bowden should be ignored because he is not Rowling.
What is a better book is a subjective view the readers themselves will decide. I am not saying people should focus on something more than another by default, but in the end it is up to them to decide whom they read or not. Not like it is relevant anyway, because other fanfics don't get ignored and you simply seem confused by the amount of discussion regarding Satashi's works, ignoring the fact his works are the majority of material posted here.

And frankly i tend to ignore some OC crack piece that gets posted here every now and then as well - the setting and characters are more often than not familiar, meaning i would have to go to the OC thread and dig through god knows how many posts to get a glimpse of the situation. Not going to happen, and that shouldn't come as surprise either.

Quote:
This is how it appears to me. This is how I call it. No more, no less. It has nothing to do with Satashi, but with the subculture of the Fanfic thread.
Yes, you have stated your views and how you feel about the subject. I have stated my disagreement; there really is nothing more to debate about on the subject, so could we please get back on track ?
__________________
Skyfall is offline  
Old 2008-01-10, 07:19   Link #5288
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
No, you are missing the point. Other works are not getting ignored. I write a story once a month and get 6 people commenting on it. Satashi writes a story every day and gets 8 people commenting on it. Since he writes each day it is perfectly natural for him to receive an overwhelming amount of comments compared to me. I fail to see the fault in this. If a person wants a thread of his own he can go over to the Fan Creations subforum and create one there. This thread is for general Nanoha fanfic discussion, regardless of what gets posted here and by whom. The thread stays as it is; this isn't a subject for discussion in this particular case.
This part stood out to me, mainly because it is grossly incorrect. I myself have written two chapters of a story here. Total reactions? Three, last I counted. Not even a few pages back there are fics that did not get any reactions whatsoever. A lot of the more recent recruits in the OC-thread came there because they were completely ignored in the fanfiction thread. With all this evidence, how can you still hold your claim that other stories are not getting ignored?

Let's have a little recount of fics posted recently by other people:

Eagle's Lemon, albeit deleted, got about five comments. Do note that this was after Wild Goose's post.

Krisslanza's Arc-en-Ciel teaser. comments: 1

Krisslanza's School Lyrical comments: 1

Eagle's resplendance of Ebony/Ignis Fatuus combo comments: 0

Yoshilord's Kranagon comments: 0

USB500's Beauty and the Red Haired Beast comments: 0

Now, I understand Satashi's work is the most discussed. I prefectly understand that, with his insane writing speed, there is an overwhelming response to Satashi fics. However, there are other people posting other fics that do not get commented on, while Satashi's do (It should also be noted Satashi himself does reply to most of these fics) I don't know how you can still hold your claim that other stories do not get ignored while these five fics clearly got ignored, at times completely.
__________________
Keroko is offline  
Old 2008-01-10, 07:32   Link #5289
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 28
USB500's earlier fics were getting some comments, so that aside ...
Yes, there also might be works that get ignored. So what of it ? I will sound harsh here, but: am i supposed to care about it ? I am not here to ensure some sort of equality in what people want to read and comment upon, such a thought is simply ridiculous. This is the fanfiction thread where people can post their works. Whether those get commented upon is not my problem, nor is it Satashi's, nor is it anyone's else, nor is it my or anyone's place to go around poking people "in the right direction". What is it you want to achieve by this rant ? Acknowledgment of the fact some fics might get ignored? Ok, i acknowledge that. And now what ? Is there actually a point to this, or is this some jealousy inspired rant ? I am not about to change the thread title (which was the offered solution to a "problem" i don't acknowledge as anything meaningful, and i don't want to stress how inappropriate such an action would be) because someone felt like whining that his fics didn't get the attention they are supposedly entitled to.
__________________
Skyfall is offline  
Old 2008-01-10, 07:44   Link #5290
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 26
No it isn't, please don't take this personal. It was not aimed at you, nor Satashi, but at the fanfiction thread in general. All that was meant to be achieved was that people would realize that there is more to fanfiction then just Satashi, and that other fanfics deserved to be looked at just as much. Concidering the comments on Eagle's lemon, that purpose has hopefully been achieved. The point of my post was to simply correct an incorrect statement, nothing more.

The OC-thread, which Wild Goose hails from, is a close-nit community with people commenting on each and every post, arguing about settings, using eachother's ideas, laugh at the bits of crack floating around and creating one big living world with everyone's elements. The general attitude of the fanfiction thread, which seemed to center around Satashi, has always baffled us.

That being said, I do think Wild Goose's post could have been done a lot more diplomatically.
__________________

Last edited by Keroko; 2008-01-10 at 08:15.
Keroko is offline  
Old 2008-01-10, 08:34   Link #5291
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Doing Anzu's paperwork.
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
USB500's earlier fics were getting some comments, so that aside ...
Yes, there also might be works that get ignored. So what of it ? I will sound harsh here, but: am i supposed to care about it ? I am not here to ensure some sort of equality in what people want to read and comment upon, such a thought is simply ridiculous. This is the fanfiction thread where people can post their works. Whether those get commented upon is not my problem, nor is it Satashi's, nor is it anyone's else, nor is it my or anyone's place to go around poking people "in the right direction". What is it you want to achieve by this rant ? Acknowledgment of the fact some fics might get ignored? Ok, i acknowledge that. And now what ? Is there actually a point to this, or is this some jealousy inspired rant ? I am not about to change the thread title (which was the offered solution to a "problem" i don't acknowledge as anything meaningful, and i don't want to stress how inappropriate such an action would be) because someone felt like whining that his fics didn't get the attention they are supposedly entitled to.
First off, I admit that my first post, some 26-odd hours ago, could have been done better. I was aiming to shock the Fanfic thread awake, to raise this issue. It was a tongue-in-cheek post.

As Keroko has said, I could have done that a lot better.

As for jealousy, no, I'm not jealous. I'm perfectly happy in the OC Thread, and have no desire, nor do I see any reason, to compete with Satashi: hell, we don't even write the same stuff! (Satashi writes yuri and fluff, I lean towards military thriller writing, with some comedy.) But the point that myself, Kagerou and Keroko are trying to make is that Satashi is such a presence here that other fanfics tend to be ignored in favor of Satashi.

My intentions are simply this: trying to make Fanfic Thread more inviting for new authors. Without new blood, the Thread stagnates. Take Darkscribes. I By and by, their Evangelion fanfiction activity was reliant on Random1377. When Random finally moved on from Eva, they collapsed as an Eva community. I don't want to see that happening here.

I could be wrong on my assessment of DS's fall, but I did observe and follow them from 2001 to 2007 and was a forumite there up to December 2007. Though it could also be argued that their fall was a hostility to new people and new, untested authors seeking to become better - something that ties in to the current situation. While the Fanfic thread is not overtly hostile to new authors, neither is it particularly welcoming with how the focus seems to be on Satashi. A newcomer to the OC thread will be welcomed, encouraged to produce, recieve haxbusting (and crack busting - yes, there are those of us who try to reduce the crack...and those of us who just laugh at it) and then, as Kagerou and Keroko said, will enter the big community. In short, a newcomer to the OC thread will feel more welcomed, and will stay and contribute.

I'm not ranting (well, I'm hoping this doesn't come across as a rant). My objective has been accomplished: all my intentions were to draw attention to this issue, for people to realise that there is more to fanfiction that Satashi. My suggestion to rename the thread was a tongue-in-cheek suggestion, intending to shake up the Fanfic Thread.

I was not whining that my fics did not get any attention. I have no complaints on the attention my fics have received. I post them in OC and get responses, and I attempt to do the same for other authors in the OC thread. We try to critique and improve each others works. I don't need recognition, I have that already (at last count, I had 3 articles that were published in the local newspapers, with another 6 in various school yearbooks over a period from 1998 to 2005, plus a college paper, a legal opinion written in 2005 for a law firm I interned in, and several summarised articles done for a political think tank where I interned in 2007). I've gotten paid for my work.

The fanfic thread doesn't have the OC Thread's system of response in place. All it has is just what appears to be a strong focus on Satashi. This would appear in violation of the spirit of what Xris posted in the first post of this thread, which I read to understand that this is a place for discussion of fanfiction et al, not just Satashi's fanfiction.

A last final thought: I don't expect Skyfall to tell Fanfic thread denizens what to do. Nor do I expect any sort of equality. The whole aim of my posts, aimed at the Fanfiction Thread in general (where I was attempting to adress this issue rationally) was to raise the awareness of the fact that there are other writers out there, other fanfics that are not Satashi, and that other fanfics share the same intrisic worth and deserved to be looked at. Hopefully, this purpose has been achieved.

As I have said all that I wish to say, I agree to let the matter rest.
__________________
~Speaking my mind, even when it costs me~
One must forgive one's enemies, but not before they are hanged.Heinrich Heine.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline  
Old 2008-01-10, 08:36   Link #5292
Satashi
Vividly Vivio
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Over there
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to Satashi Send a message via Skype™ to Satashi
This whole thing is making me vastly uncomfortable here. I rarely every read fanfics at all, as I've stated many times, but there have been times where I go back a few pages to find someone's fanfic link and repost it saying "I may check this out later" or something just for the purpose of giving them a bump.

One thing I want to state, I am not a god or goddess. I don't try to push people down and if a "worship Satashi" thread did come about I would probable never post here again. I do not want to "overshadow" anyone at all. I try to inspire people and help other authors. This thing of people getting ignored because of me, to be blunt, makes me not even want to write anymore.

I'm sorry if your fanfics didn't get comments. I know the feeling, look at my pretty Cure fanfics and my Yuunoha ones. reviews: 2,3,3,4,5,7 People commenting on them reflects their interest. Frankly, some people here don't give a damn about my stories. It sucks to not be noticed, but I don't blame the kick ass authors for it, nor do I blame the 'gods' of that genre. I just think my stories wern't good enough to be commented on. That's my fault. post more often, reply to other people, keep trying to improve so people WILL notice. It's a personal thing for me to keep writing to improve. I don't want attention, I want to get better. Please don't misunderstand or twist those words.

If anyone here feels that they don't want to post here because I overshadow them, please just send me a PM. I will work with you to advertise your fanfic. I can't say "I like it, read it!" to everyone, nor can I make people comment on them. But I will do anything I can to make people aware that it's there. Like skyfall said, no one can make people comment on things.

Also, I want to say that I don't consider people here 'fans' but actually 'friends'. I want to help my friends, so if I am offending anyone just say so. I want to try and work it out with you.

However, this is the fanfiction thread and this matter itself will probably discourage ANY new person from posting here. Let's please drop it here and take it to PMs.
Satashi is offline  
Old 2008-01-10, 08:43   Link #5293
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 26
We know its neither your fault, nor intent, Satashi. Like I said, we are just severely puzzled as to why the difference between OC and fanfic is so large.

Anyway, the OC-thread denizens have already decided that Wild Goose's post would be our 'finale' after which we would let the matter rest.
__________________
Keroko is offline  
Old 2008-01-10, 08:45   Link #5294
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Doing Anzu's paperwork.
Age: 28
Um. Satashi-nyan, please check above. I have no worries or intentions of competing with you. I've found my niche and I'm happy with it. I'm not attacking you, or Skyfall, I'm simply trying to point out to the Fanfic thread that there are other writers and fics out there and it's not fair to those authors to be ignored.

You get props for your desire to help turn this situation around. For that, I thank you, for having an open mind.

Now, let's let the matter rest. (I have to work on a pile of homework anyway -_-)
__________________
~Speaking my mind, even when it costs me~
One must forgive one's enemies, but not before they are hanged.Heinrich Heine.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline  
Old 2008-01-10, 09:27   Link #5295
Eagle8819
...
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: On a dot.
Wow. Gone for one day, and a whole new issue comes up.

But first, my apologies to Skyfall and the thread -- I hadn't realized the link from my previous post was that...vivid, to warrant a deletion.

In any case, as far as thoughts and all goes, I am in agreement with Kagerou and Keroko, for the most part. To Wild Goose's post, as well. I have been a member of Darkscribes for a brief period -- though it was some years ago, and have heard about this to some extent. Have to admit, I didn't think I'd hear the full story here.

But as a writer, I'd like to point out just another perspective before this topic is closed. I mean no offense to anyone by saying this, least of all Satashi, but this opinion of Wild Goose reflects most of what I have thought. Or rather, what I have assessed from the times I have visited here. Except I've never bothered to say it, because it is a rather touchy topic.

However, yes, I will admit that is the reason for my infrequent visits, but I will stress that it is not because I want attention, rather, if there's nothing anyone has to ask of me, I do not see a reason to stay. Quite frankly, I didn't think it was worth the time. I have always been more of a lurker than an active participant, after all.

While I do know I have a few audiences in this thread, I chose not to post - or rather, I chose not to try and make myself known, aside from some random fic and comment posting. I'm lazy, and I won't say otherwise. So, to some extent, I have only myself to blame for not putting in an effort on getting people to know me.

Just thought I'd say that there are writers like that, too. In other words, both sides needs to put in effort to actually gain recognition. Needs two to tango, after all.

(Yes, this is a poor attempt to encourage new writers who, by now, are probably intimidated. Sort of.)

Back on track, though.... *turns on fan to blow away the tension in the air*...glad to hear some of you enjoyed that certain fic.
Eagle8819 is offline  
Old 2008-01-10, 09:44   Link #5296
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Saitama, Japan
Age: 27
Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
The topic has been sidetracked far too much recently, which is obviously not what the thread was created for.
The "message" was clear enough I believe. As result, this thread will be locked and a new one, Nanoha FanFiction Discussion has been created, which will (i hope) calm the atmosphere here.

Please be aware it is still the Nanoha Fanfic Discussion thread, where you post your fictions and comments on other, nothing more, nothing less.
Please do not use such thread to begin any riot or such movement (Even though the intentions might have been not of that kind, the result is getting such snowball effect that this lock was required. Any "Fanfic VS OC" movement will be NOT tolerated!).

The rules will be ENFORCED. Any attempt to flesh out this matter (or any off topic issue of the kind) on the new thread might result to infraction or a ban.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2008-01-10 at 12:12.
Klashikari is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:10.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.