AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-01-11, 00:16   Link #61
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Zeon
Age: 23
PSP Hands down
__________________
King Lycan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-11, 13:47   Link #62
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Belgium
Age: 28
Quote:
Here here! ^_^
It's "Hear, hear!", dammit.
Quote:
Not even. I just don't like Mario or Pokemon anymore, they don't appeal to me
There are many, many more games on the Nintendo DS than Mario and Pokemon.
Quote:
not everyone wants to play games in 2007-2008 that look like they came straight from a N64.
There are many 2D games on the DS.
Quote:
I didn't pay 125 bucks to use a stick and blow. (into that mic) I payed to game
Playing a game does not necessarily require a D-pad or analog stick and buttons. Are you going to tell me playing an FPS with mouse and keyboard isn't gaming because it's not a gamepad equivalent? What about RTS games with just a mouse? Please. A stick/pen with a touchscreen is an input device like any other.
Quote:
The suspend feature makes it simple to play a turn here and there when you have time. I've kept certain games suspended over the course of a week.
Newsflash: the DS also has that feature.
__________________
SeaMonkey - surfing the net has never been so suite
Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-11, 14:51   Link #63
Ligen
KoNata-ism
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: sg
it really depends on the gamer sense of taste of the game he/she wants to play since both handheld have it's strength in it's type of game. Eg. RTS on DS or Racing on PSP
Ligen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-11, 15:02   Link #64
.S2K
S2K is here.
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New York
Age: 21
Send a message via MSN to .S2K
Ha. Too bad all I do is play PC games. F.E.A.R., Halo, Bioshock, Crysis, all on the keyboard and mouse. And if I don't like crappy 3D looking games, why would I stand for 2D =/ and RTS? No play in my house. And many other games...oh yeah, like the downgraded looking versions of the PSP ones. Animal Crossing? Digimon? I don't think so.
__________________
http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/4033/premiumkq4.jpg
.S2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-11, 19:04   Link #65
Mistacloudstrife
"I'll cut them off..."
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Washington
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
There are many, many more games on the Nintendo DS than Mario and Pokemon.
He was stating an opinion. Just like all the people saying that the PSP is made for FPS and Action games. There are alot more games on the PSP than FPS and Action games. Just because the DS doesn't have as many FPS games as the PSP doesn't make the PSP an FPS system.

Quote:
There are many 2D games on the DS.
I think he was attacking the DS' graphic capabilities. He says he doesn't want to play a handheld game in this new generation of potentially high quality games(in both fun factor and graphics) that has graphics that look like they were from over a decade ago. Basically he doesn't want to go back to play games that look like they were for systems of generations long passed.

Quote:
Playing a game does not necessarily require a D-pad or analog stick and buttons. Are you going to tell me playing an FPS with mouse and keyboard isn't gaming because it's not a gamepad equivalent? What about RTS games with just a mouse? Please. A stick/pen with a touchscreen is an input device like any other.
Again, this is an opinion. HE doesn't want to play a game with a stylus as the medium for playing nor does he want to blow into a microphone to increase your balloons

Quote:
Newsflash: the DS also has that feature.
He never said that the DS didn't have this feature, did he?


It's one thing to defend an argument, it's another to attack someone's personal opinion. The latter making you sound like a fanboy. ^^
__________________
Mistacloudstrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-11, 20:22   Link #66
.S2K
S2K is here.
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New York
Age: 21
Send a message via MSN to .S2K
THANK YOU! Jesus, that is all I was saying, but no people have to cry and complain about it...jeez.
__________________
http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/4033/premiumkq4.jpg
.S2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-12, 01:00   Link #67
Nite
-------
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Canada
Age: 28
I have both and play both about the same amount. I have a much larger NDS library than I do PSP, but my PSP games last me pretty long. If I didn't already play SNES and GBA games to death already, I'd prolly play my PSP more due to emulation. The PSP is an amazing piece of hardware.
Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-12, 02:36   Link #68
Angelic Cross
Soul-eating Librarian
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Within the stacks. . .waiting to devour you. . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by .S2K
THANK YOU! Jesus, that is all I was saying, but no people have to cry and complain about it...jeez.
There are ways of stating your opinion without sounding like a fanboy or using trollish comments. You certainly didn't show any respect for others' gaming preferences when you called them "childish and crappy." Any hostility you faced you brought down on your own head.
Angelic Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-12, 02:49   Link #69
alpha3six
913-D
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: New Jersey USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
Newsflash: the DS also has that feature.
I pointed out in previous posts that I own a DS and use it regularly. I was just saying how in-depth games work well on handhelds because of that feature.
alpha3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-12, 03:02   Link #70
Jays
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hockey Nation
Having a modded PSP myself, I find that it is an amazing portable system. It does what it sets out to do, being multimedia friendly, and a gaming device. However, having experienced the difference between a regular PSP and an modded one, I can say that there is a vast difference with just how much you can get out of your PSP.

Let's face it, the PSP doesn't have a good gaming library when stacked up against the DS - who in my opinion isn't all that good either in terms of games - and a lot of it's hidden functions, that really do make stand out, are for the most part inaccessible without custom firmware on it.

With that being said, I love my PSP, even though I use it for many other reasons - works great with my PS3 too - I think if you can get it, and then mod it, then you've got yourself a good travel mate. If you don't like modding, and just want to buy games, then I think your going to be running out of them quickly, since the PSP doesn't have many good games.
Jays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-12, 10:33   Link #71
.S2K
S2K is here.
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New York
Age: 21
Send a message via MSN to .S2K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelic Cross View Post
There are ways of stating your opinion without sounding like a fanboy or using trollish comments. You certainly didn't show any respect for others' gaming preferences when you called them "childish and crappy." Any hostility you faced you brought down on your own head.
I'm not gonna soften my opinion for anyone unless there was a gun in my face and right now, I don't see the entrance of a chamber anywhere. Any "hostility" I faced, I considered "Crying and complaing". If I think the games are childish and crappy, then thats what I think. I don't need "Hostile" comments trying to make me feel bad enough about what I said to try and change or modify it. It's my opinion, case closed.

And if I were a fanboy i'd say something like "Z0MGZ0MGZ0MG DS SUXXXX!!1!1!!1 PSP 4 EVAHHHH!!1111!11BBQBBQBBQ+shift1". I simply stated in the first place that a PSP appeals more to me in the first place. And put emphasis on why it does. So anymore comments? Cause anything you say or think about me, i'm keeping the opinion.
__________________
http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/4033/premiumkq4.jpg
.S2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-12, 23:07   Link #72
Lock_n_shock
n00b
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: to close to the equator
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzumakichia View Post
The PSP slim is great, compared to the old one.
the old ones are great for modify. Seeing now that the prices have dropped if it doesnt wokr afterwards its easy to get stores to give you a new one
Lock_n_shock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-12, 23:17   Link #73
Lock_n_shock
n00b
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: to close to the equator
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays View Post
Having a modded PSP myself, I find that it is an amazing portable system. It does what it sets out to do, being multimedia friendly, and a gaming device. However, having experienced the difference between a regular PSP and an modded one, I can say that there is a vast difference with just how much you can get out of your PSP.

Let's face it, the PSP doesn't have a good gaming library when stacked up against the DS - who in my opinion isn't all that good either in terms of games - and a lot of it's hidden functions, that really do make stand out, are for the most part inaccessible without custom firmware on it.

With that being said, I love my PSP, even though I use it for many other reasons - works great with my PS3 too - I think if you can get it, and then mod it, then you've got yourself a good travel mate. If you don't like modding, and just want to buy games, then I think your going to be running out of them quickly, since the PSP doesn't have many good games.
Have a modded one is better in my opinon because then you could just download that games of of other system for it....or the games that are available for it. Its cheaper.
Lock_n_shock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-13, 10:14   Link #74
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Belgium
Age: 28
Quote:
Again, this is an opinion. HE doesn't want to play a game with a stylus as the medium for playing nor does he want to blow into a microphone to increase your balloons
That's not the way he worded it. He said he wanted to play a game instead of using a stylus and microphone, implying that using those is not playing a game.
Quote:
He never said that the DS didn't have this feature, did he?
This is a DS versus PSP thread. He was talking as if the PSP was better than the DS because of that feature.
Quote:
And if I don't like crappy 3D looking games, why would I stand for 2D =/
2D games don't have to look like those in the Super NES era, you know.
Quote:
Have a modded one is better in my opinon because then you could just download that games of of other system for it....or the games that are available for it. Its cheaper.
And also illegal.
__________________
SeaMonkey - surfing the net has never been so suite
Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-13, 10:50   Link #75
Medalist
Infie
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Texas
PSP is more "hackable" than a DS, I can exploit the PSP more than the DS.

PSP > DS (though I own both x.x)
Medalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-13, 14:05   Link #76
Jays
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hockey Nation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medalist View Post
PSP is more "hackable" than a DS, I can exploit the PSP more than the DS.

PSP > DS (though I own both x.x)
Exactly, if you have the ability to - unless you've got a problem with using custom firmware on it - then you should by all means do it.

Yeah I do download games, but at the same time, if I like a game and I want to add it to my collection, I'll go out to buy it. Heck, there are some imports that I can't get my hands, and with the PSP, I can just download it.

Being law abiding is a keystone of life, but something this minor, isn't going to kill anyone.
Jays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-13, 14:09   Link #77
lilguy
Certified Thread Killer
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Technically, the DS is more hackable in a sense that Nintendo doesn't brick your DS unlike the PSP.

Besides, if we talk about volume, the DS has to hack what the PSP already does though (i.e. Media).
__________________
Signature removed by a Moderator because it was too big
lilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-13, 15:01   Link #78
Jays
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hockey Nation
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilguy View Post
Technically, the DS is more hackable in a sense that Nintendo doesn't brick your DS unlike the PSP.

Besides, if we talk about volume, the DS has to hack what the PSP already does though (i.e. Media).
It's a risk you take, and doesn't mean that anything is more hackable, just because there is less of chance of it bricking. The method has nothing to do with the outcome in this case.

Just the sheer ability to underclock or overclock your PSP depending on the application you are using, is an amazing feature, which truly shows just how much custom firmware gives you leeway to do what you, something I doubt a modded DS can do.
Jays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-13, 17:10   Link #79
Mistacloudstrife
"I'll cut them off..."
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Washington
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
That's not the way he worded it. He said he wanted to play a game instead of using a stylus and microphone, implying that using those is not playing a game.
This is what he said...

"I didn't pay 125 bucks to use a stick and blow. (into that mic) I payed to game"

If you were to take it literally, then yes, he's stating that he doesn't think that the use of the stylus and mic aren't for gaming. But if you were to stand back at look at the post for what it actually meant(at least it seemed obvious to me) he basically said that he isn't going to spend money on cheap gimmicks that try to enhance the experience of gaming.

And just to clear things up, I actually do believe that they are cheap gimmicks. The use of the stylus is somewhat interesting to me, but to actually put a spotlight on it and say "this is what makes the ultimate handheld gaming system" is completely laughable to me. When getting games for the DS(back when I actually had one) I would look for games that didn't have the touch screen feature or games that made it optional. And that actually greatly reduced the amount of games I wanted to get.

Quote:
This is a DS versus PSP thread. He was talking as if the PSP was better than the DS because of that feature.
*sigh*

Read again please...

"Use FF Tactics as an example. If I want to play it on PS, I'd have to devote an hour or 2 just to the game. On PSP, I can play whenever I want and suspend anywhere I want. This is a tremendously useful feature which makes me favor PSP over PS2 for certain games including Disgaea.

He was comparing the PSP to the PS2 and PSone. Since Final Fantasy Tactics was on the PSone, he favors the PSP version more because he can just suspend the game anytime he wants, whereas the PSone doesn't have that feature. Not to mention the more obvious portability.

Quote:
2D games don't have to look like those in the Super NES era, you know.
I'll partly agree with you on this one. I'm actually looking forward to N+ on the PSP.(And there'll be a DS version as well)

Quote:
And also illegal.
And activating homebrew is basically illegal as well, same goes with the DS. Well, homebrew itself isn't illegal but having to alter the way the DS or PSP act by basically changing the hardware and/or software copyrighted by Sony/Nintendo IS illegal.

Not that you said that it wasn't illegal, but you personally quoted someone supporting the PSP when this guy said the same thing about the DS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilguy
-Easy downloadable homebrews/pirated games onto R4 card
__________________
Mistacloudstrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-14, 11:23   Link #80
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Belgium
Age: 28
Quote:
Being law abiding is a keystone of life, but something this minor, isn't going to kill anyone.
That's a weak argument. Would you mind if I stole $40 from your wallet? I think you would. This is in essence the same thing. A store loses a sale. And don't you go "I wouldn't have bought it anyway" on me, because you obviously wanted it enough to download it, and it doesn't negate the act.
Quote:
Not that you said that it wasn't illegal, but you personally quoted someone supporting the PSP when this guy said the same thing about the DS.
I don't condone it on the DS either.

However, putting homebrew on a flash cart is in itself not illegal, and doesn't require any hacking, as far as I know.
__________________
SeaMonkey - surfing the net has never been so suite
Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:58.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.