AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Playback Help

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2004-03-18, 01:38   Link #1
Snowdevil
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Yumeria Ep 3 Seichi & AF-F

Yumeria - Episode 3. By Seichi & AF-F is totally messed up for me. Only that episode too. So the encoding should be the same right with eps1&2? So I dun need to reinstall codecs if the other eps work. Anyway, it works PERFECTLY, then it totally crashes ANY player I try to use with it, including VirtualDub. Any ideas?

(btw, Anime-Junkies also did this episode, but I don't think there are any seeds on, and I'm stuck at 85.5%)

Last edited by Snowdevil; 2004-03-18 at 01:49.
Snowdevil is offline  
Old 2004-03-18, 04:18   Link #2
xris
Just call me Ojisan
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: U.K. Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdevil
Yumeria - Episode 3. By Seichi & AF-F is totally messed up for me. Only that episode too. So the encoding should be the same right with eps1&2? So I dun need to reinstall codecs if the other eps work. Anyway, it works PERFECTLY, then it totally crashes ANY player I try to use with it, including VirtualDub. Any ideas?
Codecs, always the codecs.

This ep works fine for me, no problems. Your problem sound like the other 1,628,933 complaints others have made when their codecs are not up to date. Just because eps 1 and 2 work for you doesn't mean the problem isn't your codecs (this is because the fansub groups regularly change the way they encode the episodes). I suggest you install just fddshow, uninstall all the other codecs you have and just try ffdshow-20030523.exe.

See the stickies in this forum for more help (such as where to find ffdshow).
xris is offline  
Old 2004-03-19, 22:35   Link #3
Ledgem
Love Yourself
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Northeast USA
Age: 28
It may be more than just updating codecs here, actually. I remember when Seichi put out Tenbatsu Angel Rabbie I received macro blocks and discolorations across the board. It was encoded using XviD RC1 or RC2 (RC3, what Yumeria is coded in, wasn't out at the time). So I updated my XviD, and it still didn't work.

The reason was because I had DivX 5.1.1 installed. DivX is extremely aggressive, and as I hear it, the option to NOT have it attempt to play all formats it supports (or thinks it can support) is broken. I left on the little "DivX" logo thing that shows up and then fades away when the DivX codec is being used, and sure enough, it appeared on that episode. DivX can play older encodes of XviD properly, but it cannot play newer XviD encodes.

What's the fix? I was recommended to use FFDShow, but I didn't like it and so I probably didn't configure it properly because even though I told it to force XviD for XviD, I was still getting problems as if DivX were being used (only FFDShow removed the little DivX logo from being displayed on everything I viewed so I couldn't tell what was being used). I uninstalled DivX, and it worked perfectly.

So if you're using DivX 5.1.1, I recommend uninstalling it and making sure that you have XviD RC3. It isn't enough to just update your XviD if DivX is attempting to play it. I'd say you should be fine with just the XviD RC3 codec and no DivX installed, but if you like to have both (like me) then installing DivX 5.0.5 is safe. It'll still play the older XviD encodes, but it seems to keep clear of the newer XviD encodes (read: the ones it can't play back properly). The other alternative is to use some sort of program, such as FFDShow, that can force codecs. Just make sure you set it up properly, I guess.

BUT before you do all that, check the CRC on the episode and make sure it isn't corrupt. The CRC (Cyclical Redundancy Check) value is that set of eight numbers and letters that you find most often in brackets at the end of the filename. Many people use IRC scripts for hash calculations, but I use a program called hashcalc (slavasoft makes a bunch of other software that can be used to calculate hashes; the standard that fansubbers tag their episodes with is a CRC32 hash). If you run the episode through a hash calculator and the values match up, then it's a codec issue. If the values don't match, it's likely that your episode is either incomplete or corrupted in some way. Just a note for if you're new to calculating hashes, depending on the speed of your system and the size of the file, it may take anywhere from two to twenty seconds, during which the program will act like it's locked up. Just be patient.

Hope it helps.
__________________
Ledgem is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:44.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.