AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2008-01-24, 19:39   Link #1
guess

A new way to convert whatever to DVD in Vista

I have seen more and more people asking about how to convert MKV/MP4/AVI to DVD using the guide in the sticky of animesuki. As a Vista user, I can say that it doesn't work with Vista because Virtualdub doesn't work with it.

I think it is about time for Vista users to think of a way to convert whatever format to DVD not involving Virtualdub. I tried ConvertXtoDVD and the only thing it doesn't work is MKV. It seems as it can't handle softsub so the subtitles just disappear after you convert it to Vob format, which is the format this software converts it to.

Please give any suggestion, comment, or questions you have about whatever software or script which you have tried and work with Vista. I am sure that as more and more people are using Vista now, this problem will pop up a lot more frequently.
Old 2008-01-24, 20:30   Link #2
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I can't offer any specific help for Vista users other than emulation. If you're using Vista and haven't been scared off by a massive performance hit, chances are you're running a pretty powerful computer. That means you can probably virtualize other operating systems quite easily.

So here: Get VMWare server. It's free, all you need to do is register to get your free registration code. VMWare is a pretty big company, so I don't believe they're out to sell your information, either (you can use fake stuff if you really want, you just need a code). Once you have VMWare Server, install Windows XP (or Linux, if a DVD guide has been made for it) to a virtual machine. You may lose about 10 GB (or more, if you specified) of your HD space to the virtual machine, but now you can pop into Windows XP or your guest OS of choice (excluding Mac OS X) whenever you want, do your stuff there, and then close out of it.

Not a very nice and simple solution, but I'd recommend it to anyone who doesn't want to pioneer a new method and wants to get this stuff done now.
Old 2008-01-24, 20:49   Link #3
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

VirtualBox is another nice virtualization solution for Windows, Linux and, recently, OS X. The basic software is released under the General Public License; can't get much more open than that. There's a proprietary version that supports a few things most people don't need.
Old 2008-01-24, 22:48   Link #4
Aird

You mean this: Convert AVI/MKV/MP4 to DVD? It doesn't use Virtualdub at all. I don't have vista but I'm assuming it works under vista because there is instructions for that os.
Aird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-24, 23:01   Link #5
guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aird View Post
You mean this: Convert AVI/MKV/MP4 to DVD? It doesn't use Virtualdub at all. I don't have vista but I'm assuming it works under vista because there is instructions for that os.
All right, my mistake. But I did try Virtualdub, Virtualdubmod, and this script in that sticky and none of them work with Vista.

Is there anyone who is running on Vista AND successfully made Virtualdub, Virtualdubmod, or this script work with it? Because it sounds like none of you guys runs on Vista and just assumes that it would work with Vista.
Old 2008-01-24, 23:38   Link #6
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

These are my two sggestions

1. Have you tried running it in compatibility mode? If you haven't try that before using emulation. icon -> right click -> properties ->compatibility -> select the earliest version of windows that program works with.

It occassionally works with older games I play like Deus Ex, MDK and XCom.

I use Home premium as a HTPC connected to a tv so I don;t bother with converting to dvd. There;s a long weekend here in Astralia so if that doesn't work I'll play around with it as well. When I get home I'll try a few things as well

I did use convertxtodvd and still have it. It does work with mkv and it does work with softsubs (.srt files not sure about .ass)

2. What about using alltoavi to convert to the mkv to avi. THe AVI can then be burnt using windows DVD maker. Not the best way you obviously lose some quality but it shouldn't be too bad

I'll try these in a couple of hours after I get home
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=26308
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-24, 23:41   Link #7
garra113
CaramellDansen!!!

Not bad? Me and probably him probably still prefers mkv over to avi. I even requested a guide on how to set it up on vista but no dice at the end =\. Btw, I am currently experimenting on how to use queue for encoding or anything to burn to the dvd and WONT be cut off but don't expect much results from me >_>
garra113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-25, 00:10   Link #8
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

The thing is the process of getting the mkv to DVD. What it was previously becomes irrelevant once it becomes a vob file. All those other issues like overscan become an issue for the burning software
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=26308
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote