AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Playback Help

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2004-03-21, 09:29   Link #1
dizzyd3280
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Singapore
Some help with Codecs

Hi!

I got prob wif my codecs (I've already tried the guided media configuration). The problem is not that I couldn't watch my animes, but I couldn't watch them at their best quality. Recently, I just formatted and reinstall Windows XP SP1 to my PC thus all the old codecs were gone. So i tried to use the media guide. Of course the animes work, it's just that i have some colour distortion when playing them in wmp classic or WMP9.0, and the resolution of the anime itself is smaller. This did not happen before I format my PC. I've tried to install most of my old codecs, but that doesn't help either. I know it's not a big deal, but if someone have a solution, it'd be great to hear it. Thanks!
dizzyd3280 is offline  
Old 2004-03-21, 10:10   Link #2
xris
Just call me Ojisan
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: U.K. Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyd3280
Hi!

I got prob wif my codecs (I've already tried the guided media configuration). The problem is not that I couldn't watch my animes, but I couldn't watch them at their best quality. Recently, I just formatted and reinstall Windows XP SP1 to my PC thus all the old codecs were gone. So i tried to use the media guide. Of course the animes work, it's just that i have some colour distortion when playing them in wmp classic or WMP9.0, and the resolution of the anime itself is smaller. This did not happen before I format my PC. I've tried to install most of my old codecs, but that doesn't help either. I know it's not a big deal, but if someone have a solution, it'd be great to hear it. Thanks!
You don't mention which codecs you do have installed.

Try uninstalling all the codecs (because some interfere with others) and install just ffdshow for a start. Just download and install ffdshow-20030523.exe and see if that helps when you have just that one codec installed. Also, try using Media Player Classic (not sure if you meant that when you said 'wmp classic' because WMP and MPC are different beasties).

BTW, what anime did you try? Are you sure the download had completed on them because you can get that sort of distortion with incomplete files. Unlikely but still possible.

Since it used to work, chances are you currently have a set of codecs different from before and the way they interact is causing the problem.
xris is offline  
Old 2004-03-21, 12:24   Link #3
dizzyd3280
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Singapore
Hi, Thx for the reply! Well, I've tried what you suggested, but the same prob. Anyway, I'll try to list the codecs I had last time (before I format);
divx5.11, xvid, ac3filters, OggDS0995 and the older FFDShow (2002something). They worked perfectly fine last time. Note that for the divx codecs I was upgrading them for divx 5.0 i think (i'm not sure since it's so long time ago). The media player classic I'm talking about is the one which they recommend in the media guide page.

As for the animes, I think I've gotten the complete file, since I tried my old animes (which I burn to CD), and the result still the same

Anyway, there are 2 things that different from now and before format, the XP i'm using was not SP1, and I used different version of PowerDVD. Dunno whether that has any effect or not?
dizzyd3280 is offline  
Old 2004-03-21, 15:50   Link #4
flammie
White Dragon
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
How is the resolution 'smaller'? Like a 640 by 480 video file is playing at 320 by 240?

Try updating your video card drivers.
flammie is offline  
Old 2004-03-21, 21:28   Link #5
dizzyd3280
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by flammie
How is the resolution 'smaller'? Like a 640 by 480 video file is playing at 320 by 240?

Try updating your video card drivers.
Err, I'm running on P4 2.4 and GeForce4MX and updated my driver regularly. What I mean by lower resolution is that, before the format took place the anime which is 640 by 480 is playing larger than that (before i even hit the full-screen). Right now it's playing at it's original size which 640 by 480.
dizzyd3280 is offline  
Old 2004-03-21, 21:41   Link #6
flammie
White Dragon
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyd3280
Err, I'm running on P4 2.4 and GeForce4MX and updated my driver regularly. What I mean by lower resolution is that, before the format took place the anime which is 640 by 480 is playing larger than that (before i even hit the full-screen). Right now it's playing at it's original size which 640 by 480.
So your only real problem is color distortion? Could you give an example of what you mean?
flammie is offline  
Old 2004-03-21, 23:37   Link #7
dizzyd3280
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by flammie
So your only real problem is color distortion? Could you give an example of what you mean?
Hmmm, it's like you see some colour deterated. In the FF7 - Advent Childern preview. Before the format took place, I can view a very nice movie, but now ... well i can still view it smoothly, but some colour will detorate, like when the focus on cloud's face in the church, the background colour of the church will become 'blur'? hmmm, kinda hard to explain it in english (sorry, my english sux).
dizzyd3280 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:19.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.