AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Spice and Wolf

Notices

View Poll Results: Spice and Wolf - Episode 3 Rating
Perfect 10 33 30.28%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 46 42.20%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 18 16.51%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 7.34%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 2.75%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.92%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-01-27, 18:32   Link #81
kari-no-sugata
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Pretty funny how good Horo is at pulling off that act. Have to be pretty careful . Impressive though that she can put up that blush whenever she wants.

Though not certain those were his exact thoughts since he pulled in pretty close with the expression "back off, or die."Even if one knows she is acting she is just so good you'll react regardless.
Right at the start of the little scene, Lawrence turns and looks at Horo suspiciously and you can hear him saying "huh!?" when Horo reacts timidly to Weiss. It seems fairly clear to me that he realised it was all an act from the start - didn't stop him from getting annoyed / jealous though
kari-no-sugata is offline  
Old 2008-01-27, 21:53   Link #82
LKK
Moderator
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Virginia, USA
Age: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I'm not sure it's that smart to con someone you want to trade with again, especially when he was already offering a good price, though.
I agree. While Horo was right about the merchant learning from his mistake, he's also learned not to do business with Lawrence again. Furthermore, he's likely to spread the word to any business associate he's friendly with about "Lawrence's" deceptive business practices. It's possible that Lawrence could be blackballed from all the village merchants for years to come. Horo's small monetary gain could cost Lawrence far more in the long run.
__________________

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
My manga list | My anime DVD list
LKK is offline  
Old 2008-01-27, 22:35   Link #83
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Leeds, UK
Age: 31
Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO Send a message via Skype™ to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
I agree. While Horo was right about the merchant learning from his mistake, he's also learned not to do business with Lawrence again. Furthermore, he's likely to spread the word to any business associate he's friendly with about "Lawrence's" deceptive business practices. It's possible that Lawrence could be blackballed from all the village merchants for years to come. Horo's small monetary gain could cost Lawrence far more in the long run.
perhaps, but perhaps not.

it depends if the merchant can sell it off on the exact same premise, he can sell it off on a higher profit, because those fur do have an element of truth to their quality, which he must have some knowledge of it,so it is a good assumption he'll be selling it off to like minded people.

One does not sell high quality fur to clients who appreciate high quality fur without having knowledge of what is considered high quality.

if he didn't have any idea about the quality, then it will be his loss for not knowing more about his business, and hence your situation "might" occur, but it's not like Lawrence sold him at the time that was perceived to be high quality fur, then a day later it was falling to pieces and rotting away, in no way was he "cheated" and suffer a big loss. but if he makes an incident over such a small matter, then is that case he is a disposable trader, and it won't matter what he says, because other merchants will know of his reputation as one who trade without being prepared, one to make a scene over the smallest things and more then likely be scorn for, and not at the seller.

After all they are all rivals in a sort, sure it will make them more weary of Lawrence, but his fur isn't by all means below "acceptable" quality or the merchant would not even deal with him, so whatever perceived "negativity" Lawrence gain would be insignificant and do very very little damage.

besides the demand of fur is a constant and anyone with the goods with acceptable quality fur at the right time will always get a good profit from it. both seller and buyer. so Lawrence has nothing to fear from this.

really, its not really an issue.
__________________
Onizuka-GTO is offline  
Old 2008-01-27, 22:38   Link #84
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Its a bit more complicated... if the merchant rats out that Lawrence conned him, he'll lose face in the community as someone easily conned. However, if he learns from it and uses it to his advantage - he's all the better -- and if he keeps up a relationship with Lawrence he's liable to learn even more tricks.

This line of thinking is demonstrated repeatedly in Pirates of the Caribbean. "Its just good business" to keep people with strong attributes at least sort of "on your side" even if you've tried to kill, maim, or con each other in the past.

We won't kill each other today because there's a profit to be made. Corporations, syndicates, hoods, adventurers.... all tend to follow that sort of code.

Even if you've conned me before, we might do business anyway -- I'll just be more wary and informed.

edit: Onizuka outtyped me and said it more completely <applause>
Vexx is offline  
Old 2008-01-27, 22:58   Link #85
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Canada
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Honestly had been trying to put what I thought into words. But glad Onizuka-GTO and Vexx managed to get the thoughts out there.

Hard to say how things would turn out. I'm sure the guy wants to keep his own reputation intact. So if he goes making a big fuss on this it may make him look foolish and an embarrassment to the company he represents. So he'll probably learn to be more cautious in the future and he did learn a trick that could be adapted for himself down the road. Everyone wants to keep themselves on top so hurting Lawrence won't help him.

Sure Horo could be more careful, but don't think this will be a big deal going forward.

Maybe wasn't necessary to add since it was already covered, but oh well.
__________________
FlareKnight is offline  
Old 2008-01-27, 23:58   Link #86
Burner of Anime
Illegal Additives
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I'm not sure it's that smart to con someone you want to trade with again, especially when he was already offering a good price, though.

Also, what do you think the scheme is, about that devaluating currency?
My thought?

Spoiler:
Burner of Anime is offline  
Old 2008-01-28, 00:27   Link #87
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Spoiler:


I agree that the consequences of Horo's trick won't be that bad, but still. I think it does mean a loss of trust, and that that merchant will be less inclined to help Lawrence, to throw good business his way, in the future.
Anh_Minh is offline  
Old 2008-01-28, 05:27   Link #88
TinyRedLeaf
. . .
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh
Also, what do you think the scheme is, about that devaluating currency?
Spoiler for educated guesses:
TinyRedLeaf is offline  
Old 2008-01-28, 09:13   Link #89
Kisuke06
I see...
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 24
I just watched the 3 episodes in a row. It's quite a good show. At first I thought it was going to be just another generic romance show with a catgirl, but despite having some romance on the story, the show is not really about that.

Too bad it's only going to have 12 episodes.

For this episode I give 8/10.
__________________
"I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies."
Kisuke06 is offline  
Old 2008-01-28, 10:25   Link #90
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Freedom Guard Ship Amaterasu
Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Spoiler:


I agree that the consequences of Horo's trick won't be that bad, but still. I think it does mean a loss of trust, and that that merchant will be less inclined to help Lawrence, to throw good business his way, in the future.
That is true hurting his relations now with the merchant for a quick gain, will hurt him in the long run. Assuming the merchant figures out the trick he has the potential to copy and turn a higher profit for himself. But he will be less inclined to buy from Lawrence again.
__________________
Sinestra is offline  
Old 2008-01-28, 12:31   Link #91
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Spoiler for educated guesses:
Spoiler for uh?:
Anh_Minh is offline  
Old 2008-01-28, 16:40   Link #92
kimchipride
Geass User
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: California
Age: 22
Ok, I seriously don't know what's with the popularity with Spicy Wolf. I hate the anime because it's so boring. I don't understand what's good or fun about the idea of a merchant trading stuff with a fox aka god. Can anyone tell me what's so special about it?

Besides the voices which are spectacular, it's really not that great
__________________
kimchipride is offline  
Old 2008-01-28, 17:05   Link #93
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Spoiler for uh?:
I doubt lawerence is the only merchant being targeted. My guess is that there are a lot of agents out there targeing a lot of the small and medium size merchants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchipride View Post
Ok, I seriously don't know what's with the popularity with Spicy Wolf. I hate the anime because it's so boring. I don't understand what's good or fun about the idea of a merchant trading stuff with a fox aka god. Can anyone tell me what's so special about it?

Besides the voices which are spectacular, it's really not that great
Reason Why Spciy Wolf is popular:

1. Horo
2. Horo
3. Horo

and some of us also like the wierd politico and economic crap.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline  
Old 2008-01-28, 17:08   Link #94
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Yes, but as I said, if you target too many, it's going to show. Also, the more agents you employ, the more costly it is. So, why?
Anh_Minh is offline  
Old 2008-01-28, 17:55   Link #95
Serenity85
Horo-ism
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
I doubt lawerence is the only merchant being targeted. My guess is that there are a lot of agents out there targeing a lot of the small and medium size merchants.



Reason Why Spciy Wolf is popular:

1. Horo
2. Horo
3. Horo

and some of us also like the wierd politico and economic crap.
lol you missed one very important reason^^ I think its more like:

1. Horo
2. Horo
3. Horo's Tail (and side note the little gem of a mis type "Tail feel good")

There thats about right, oh and the economics side and watching Lawrence get schooled by Horo is also good ^_^
__________________
Much Thanks to Mr. Hat's for the siggy^^
Serenity85 is offline  
Old 2008-01-28, 18:09   Link #96
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchipride View Post
Ok, I seriously don't know what's with the popularity with Spicy Wolf. I hate the anime because it's so boring. I don't understand what's good or fun about the idea of a merchant trading stuff with a fox aka god. Can anyone tell me what's so special about it?

Besides the voices which are spectacular, it's really not that great
Economics doesn't bore some people? Its not like "all the other shows"? So far its avoided the "lazy easy drama of action or angst"?

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-01-29 at 04:56.
Vexx is offline  
Old 2008-01-28, 18:10   Link #97
Mr Hat and Clogs
Troublemaker Fanclub
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Age: 31
I'm still half asleep but anyway and I'll be forgetting something about the episode. How would counterfeit coins fit into that mix. take from a small group of merchants, stockpile what you get from them, and return their 'profit' in counterfeit coins. If caught it would be traced to the merchants, who are fairly public, but the middlemen like Zeiren could easily disappear, and even if they were caught and fingered out a backer, if he is a Lord or a high ranking Clergy, chances are he could get away with it. The Nobility could get away with near anything if they had the money and power back in the day, and a commoner decrying a noble would be almost laughed at, likewise with the church.
__________________
Mr Hat and Clogs is offline  
Old 2008-01-28, 19:07   Link #98
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Near Cincinnati, OH, but actually in Kentucky
Age: 26
I'm wondering how much Thorenni coins will be worth if the plethora of coinage being exchanged begins to consolidate...
__________________
FatPianoBoy is offline  
Old 2008-01-28, 19:35   Link #99
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Leeds, UK
Age: 31
Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO Send a message via Skype™ to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchipride View Post
Ok, I seriously don't know what's with the popularity with Spicy Wolf. I hate the anime because it's so boring. I don't understand what's good or fun about the idea of a merchant trading stuff with a fox aka god. Can anyone tell me what's so special about it?

Besides the voices which are spectacular, it's really not that great
basically its to do with three things,

1. Inumimi
2. Tail
3. Quality Voice Actress

everyone loves a good inumimi.

:3

*waits eagerly for the third volume of Inumimi*

__________________
Onizuka-GTO is offline  
Old 2008-01-28, 19:55   Link #100
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NYC, NY
Age: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchipride View Post
Ok, I seriously don't know what's with the popularity with Spicy Wolf. I hate the anime because it's so boring. I don't understand what's good or fun about the idea of a merchant trading stuff with a fox aka god. Can anyone tell me what's so special about it?

Besides the voices which are spectacular, it's really not that great
I love good old fasion merchant drama

Also if they adapt the Novels good, It get's really really interesting
__________________
Sterling01 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:02.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.