AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-02-03, 10:08   Link #41
Js2756
Thread Killer
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
What misspelling ? There are no misspellings there, and the "problem" of romanization is ours, not their. How a title might sound in English if someone were to romanize it is not exactly the prime concern of a Japanese writer, wouldn't you agree ? Just because it doesn't sound like you would want it to in your language, doesn't mean it is misspelled. It even has both titles as "official" ones as both are "correct" (Notice that if you Replace the "r"s in Erementar Gerad you end up with Elemental Gelad), so i don't see what is there to complain about, and since it refers directly to something within the context of the show, it is not something devoid of meaning either.
I would think that if I was to use another freaking language in my writing, that I would at least take the time to make sure I spelled words properly. All that it shows is laziness on the part of the writer, his editors and his publishers. It's the same to say that if I was to use French in part of my writing that it should not matter if I use feminine or masculine tenses because it's my writing. I'm sorry, but languages don't work that way. All any of those people had to do was pick up ANY dictionary (hell, look it up online) and see that "erementar" is not a real word.

Please find me any English dictionary that has the word "erementar" in it and I'll rescind my argument, because I can find plenty that have the word "elemental". This isn't the case of them inventing words (which they also like to do, and which I have a bit more tolerance for). This is them not having an understanding of a language and not taking any time to use it properly.

I am not an advocate of changing a language (no matter how bad it is, and English is certainly a bad one structurally) simply because people who wish to use it can't be bothered to learn all the nuances of the language, while most native speakers don't have issues. The English language is such that you cannot just substitute Rs for Ls and vice versa and still get the same word. If the Japanese people want to play the substitution game, use their own language, and don't go mucking around with other ones.

The problem with romanization is theirs, not ours. They have yet to realize that R and L are two distinct sounds and letters and are not at all interchangeable.
__________________
My anime review blog:
www.livejournal.com/~js2756
Js2756 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 12:20   Link #42
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Js2756 View Post
[snip]
Thats all good and fine, but consider this - the purpose of romanizing is to "translate" japanese (or any other language not using Latin alphabet) writing to their equivalents in Latin Alphabet, not specifically english language. Therefore it isn't "incorrect" just because it didn't look perfect when using English as a milestone.
__________________
Skyfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 12:23   Link #43
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
Fate/Stay Night is the only one that comes to mind.
Personally tho' I like them when their all weird and stupid sounding.

Some answers to series mentioned previously...
Bleach as in "to bleach" and way of saying "to purify" reflective of the series style in the characters. Can't really put my finger on it ATM.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, the Gurren Lagann is a name in the series of names. It's smart and gives you a big hind on what the series is about.
__________________

Last edited by felix; 2008-02-03 at 12:35. Reason: Changed post... Sky beat me to the chase.
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 12:57   Link #44
Js2756
Thread Killer
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Thats all good and fine, but consider this - the purpose of romanizing is to "translate" japanese (or any other language not using Latin alphabet) writing to their equivalents in Latin Alphabet, not specifically english language. Therefore it isn't "incorrect" just because it didn't look perfect when using English as a milestone.
Yes, JAPANESE to a latin alphabet, not English. Elemental is not a Japanese word, it is English, and Erementar is still a misspelling of that word.
__________________
My anime review blog:
www.livejournal.com/~js2756
Js2756 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 13:15   Link #45
Echoes
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: In line to confess his sins.
Age: 26
Quote:
And Samurai Champloo, what in the world is champloo?
I remember reading about that on wikipedia when I first watched the series.

Quote:
The word, champloo, comes from the Okinawan word "chanpurū" (as in gōyā chanpurū, the Okinawan stir-fry dish containing bitter melon).[2] Chanpurū, alone, simply means "to mix" or "to hash." Therefore, the title, Samurai Champloo, may be translated to "Samurai Remix" or "Samurai Mashup."[3]
If this is indeed valid information, the title fits pretty well with the show.
__________________
Echoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 13:59   Link #46
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Js2756 View Post
Yes, JAPANESE to a latin alphabet, not English. Elemental is not a Japanese word, it is English, and Erementar is still a misspelling of that word.
Erementar is a Japanese word. Elemental is just the stupid translation. Who came first, the Japanese title or the translation.
It is STANDARD! it is used EVERYWHERE! who the f*** told you it's THE F***ING LATIN alphabet?!
The letter L does not exist! That specific sound is unpronounceable...

If I told you to write German words so English speakers could read them, what would you do?
You would start converting German-specific-letters to their closest equivalent, same for Latin, French etc etc

It's wrong~ you say? Well it's a Japanese title isn't it.
Why are you not writing it in Kanji and using this meant to be comfortable to you language.
Now who's disrespecting the title? now who is writing titles people can't even memorize or recognize?
__________________
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 14:24   Link #47
UzumakiW
J-rocker
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Diego
Age: 23
Send a message via AIM to UzumakiW Send a message via Yahoo to UzumakiW
Bleach- Still insure about it.
XXXholic- If my mom would look at my manga/anime collection, she'd think I had porn.
Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo- Not much about this is any good.
__________________
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o190/Love_it_to_Death/J-Rock/Kana/Kana82.gif
UzumakiW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 14:34   Link #48
Phantasmagoria
†Mizore Shirayuki†
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Dream
Su momomomomomo? I don't know how many "mo" there are suppose to be

Suzuka - This name gives you a super huge spoiler, making the ending predictable. *sigh*

Someone has mentioned Princess Tutu, and i have to say it again; awful.

Strawberry Panic! - I LOVE THIS SERIES, ALOT. BUT, WHY SUCH A TITLE? /endcaps

D-gray.man - AFAIK, it has nothing to do with the content, jeez.

Bleach - No idea why it's called like that.

Pumpkin Scissors - Oh, what!?!
Phantasmagoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 14:43   Link #49
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Okay again, Bleach has to do with the Bleaching or cleansing of souls. It's what is known as a metaphor. It's not meant to refer to the household cleaning product, but the actual verb:

Quote:
bleach (blch)

v. bleached, bleach·ing, bleach·es
v.tr.
1. To remove the color from, as by means of chemical agents or sunlight.
2. To make white or colorless.
v.intr.
To become white or colorless.
Taken from Thefreedictionary.com
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 14:48   Link #50
bayoab
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by UzumakiW View Post
XXXholic- If my mom would look at my manga/anime collection, she'd think I had porn.
While I agree on how it looks, it is supposed to be written with lowercase x's and extremely diminutive to the HoLiC. i.e. xxxHoLiC
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 16:01   Link #51
serenade_beta
マジ天使
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
Pumpkin Scissors - Oh, what!?!
It makes sense, considering that that is the name of the main group of people. Plus, it was explained why Alice named it that.
__________________

-Tried to start a blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 16:03   Link #52
Saber Cherry
Marionette
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
While I agree on how it looks, it is supposed to be written with lowercase x's and extremely diminutive to the HoLiC. i.e. xxxHoLiC
No matter how you write it, if you say "I'm looking for xxxholic", it sounds like you want to buy porn about a sex addict. Even if you whisper the exes.
Saber Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 16:05   Link #53
felix
sleepyhead
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: event horizon
Agreed.

Anyone know the meaning behind the xxx?
__________________
felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 16:51   Link #54
bayoab
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
Agreed.

Anyone know the meaning behind the xxx?
xxx is meant to be a variable since the series is about addictions. It isn't meant to be said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber Cherry View Post
No matter how you write it, if you say "I'm looking for xxxholic", it sounds like you want to buy porn about a sex addict. Even if you whisper the exes.
Its official said name is "holic" as in (alco)holic. You aren't supposed to say the x's (which is why they are diminutive).
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 17:32   Link #55
UzumakiW
J-rocker
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Diego
Age: 23
Send a message via AIM to UzumakiW Send a message via Yahoo to UzumakiW
True, in yet that still doesn't change that the titles on the mangas and anime for mine say "xxxHolic," and I'm sure my parents would think it's porn >.<. Though, it's not, and it's an awsome series
__________________
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o190/Love_it_to_Death/J-Rock/Kana/Kana82.gif
UzumakiW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 17:34   Link #56
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 25
Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Spoiler for Suzuka:


Not really. Just like Naruto, the title is the name of one of the protagonists. In fact, it's you who just spoiled it for others.

Last edited by KholdStare; 2008-02-03 at 18:22. Reason: Spoiler tags
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 18:17   Link #57
Nenkitsune
Ive been MikuCaramellized
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Nenkitsune Send a message via Yahoo to Nenkitsune
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucigaromeo View Post
I see, looks like they pick a word from dictionary disregarding it is commonly used or not.

Like Murder Princess I mentioned before, Scrapped Princess, Exiled or Banished Princess are more appropriate. Sounds like they they would name Recycled Princess as the sequel

And Samurai Champloo, what in the world is champloo?
Scrapped Princess makes sense though. When you scrap something you throw it out, you toss it aside, you get rid of it. And she was scrapped, quite litterally actually

Spoiler for scrapped:
__________________

もいちど。。。
Nenkitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 19:23   Link #58
Vagrant0
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Okay again, Bleach has to do with the Bleaching or cleansing of souls. It's what is known as a metaphor. It's not meant to refer to the household cleaning product, but the actual verb:



Taken from Thefreedictionary.com
I would agree with the meaning of Bleach. If you look at it the series was really planned differently at first, some of this is even reflected in the anime, there are two versions of the kingfisher fight. It seemed like they were initially planning to focus more on the living world side of things, but then decided to go another way.

As for my contributions...

Planetes - Not only Engrish, but doesn't really reflect much about the series.

Green Green - Ok, technically bad title, bad anime, but yeah...

Azumanga Daioh - Just don't why they called it this.

Lucky Star - Same deal... Don't get it. Sounds like some kiddy anime.

Initial D - Ok, if D is supposed to be Drive, why initial?

Meh
Vagrant0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 19:29   Link #59
serenade_beta
マジ天使
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant0 View Post
Azumanga Daioh - Just don't why they called it this.
Manga-ka: Kiyohiko Azuma
Type: manga
Magazine: Dengeki Daioh

=

Azumanga Daioh
__________________

-Tried to start a blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 19:31   Link #60
Nenkitsune
Ive been MikuCaramellized
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Nenkitsune Send a message via Yahoo to Nenkitsune
from wiki:
The series title has no particular significance to the story. "Azumanga" is a portmanteau of "Azuma" (the author's name) and "manga", while "Daioh" comes from the magazine in which it was originally published, Dengeki Daioh.[2] In the anime, "Daioh" is mentioned during the next episode previews, in context meaning "great king".

so that part makes sense to me.
Grrrr serenade beat me because my net lagged.
__________________

もいちど。。。
Nenkitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.