AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2008-01-29, 17:54   Link #1
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

Ipod touch dilemma

I've scowered the net high and low but I cant find a working solution for this.

I was given this a few days back by my cousin but ive been unable to get it working since I got it and since I dont have a receipt I cant return it.

It wont turn on unless I plug it into my computer and even then it only opens in recovery mode, In which it has stayed in since I cannot seem to restore it back to factory setting as I encounter the dreaded 1603 / 1604 / 50 errors.

Ive tried everything that faq's tell me too, Ranging from uninstalling and reinstalling, changing PC's, using different USB ports, to restarting the apple mobile device service.

I'm running itunes 7.6 and just to add I havnt actualy ever signed up to itunes, tho do I need to for the itouch to work ?

I'm lost on what to do and have ended up with a rather fashionable brick.

Any ideas =< ?

ps. In Northern Ireland the nearest thing to an Apple store is a green grocer...

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-30, 02:05   Link #2
Myname

Ask your "cousin" to buy you a new iPhone.
Myname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-30, 02:22   Link #3
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I don't have any experience with the Touch, and I'm not familiar with those errors. If I have more time I may look into them for you to see if there's a fix, but otherwise it sounds like you may have a faulty unit. If that's the case, you're going to need to do a return/exchange.

You're going to need to get the receipt, or at least some information off of it. It'd be easier if you could get to an Apple store to do it, but I believe they may allow you to send it to them. So you may need to pay for shipping, but the price of shipping compared to the price of the iPod Touch is pretty small (and if it's still under warranty, that'd be a huge waste). When you get a chance, call up the nearest Apple store and explain your situation. Tell them what you've tried, and that the nearest Apple store is too far away - ask them if it'd be possible to send it in for repairs or replacement. At that point they may ask for the serial number and possibly some receipt information - if you don't have the receipt information, ask them exactly what information you'd need from the receipt, and then get it from your cousin (if the receipt has been thrown out, you can explain that to the Apple rep as well and see if there's anything they can do, but you may be out of luck).

When you have the information, call back - you're probably going to need to go through the process of explaining everything again. Hopefully they will have an option for sending it back, and that can sort it out for you.
Old 2008-01-30, 02:36   Link #4
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

You could try ringing Apple's tech support line. As the iPod Touch is so new, it's guaranteed to be still under warranty. And they don't need the receipt to be able to send it in for servicing.

Afaik when I worked there (4 years ago now), the only reason for asking a receipt if the serial number indicated the device was older than 1 year and probably out of warranty, while the customer claimed he bought it later (this can happen when such devices sit on the shelf of a retailer for a while).

Also see:
http://www.apple.com/support/ipodtouch/

And if that doesn't work, you can try:
https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-30, 02:42   Link #5
ReizoSan
Make Your Move

i think there is a program called ibrickr it could get it starting again or check around the itunes program as there should be a place to say restore ipod when you click your ipod touch in that program (where it says the information or how much space you have free on your ipod touch).
Old 2008-01-30, 19:43   Link #6
Nutcracker262000
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Nutcracker262000
You can try downgrading your itouch software and see if you can reinstall using itunes.

I found a video on how to downgrade, hope that will help
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YakjwxB3nQU
Old 2008-02-07, 11:52   Link #7
Drake
dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ
*Graphic Designer

Thanks for the replies but the main problem is that I cant restore it or downgrade it =I

When i do attempt a restore the screen on the itouch flicks while for a second then goes black and after a few minutes I get the 1603 error in itunes.

It wont even turn on unless its connected to my computer.

I've tried following everything on apples support pages and reinstalling itunes and installed ibrickr but with no results...

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-07, 14:13   Link #8
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Maybe it's a faulty battery. Have you tried contacting Apple yet?