AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-03-20, 17:28   Link #1
The Xenos

Question Good Shojo Series for an Anime Club

Just was wondering if our club should show more shojo series. Then I couldn't quite think of any recent ones to show.

So what are some good shojo shows on unliscenced fansub or to buy on US DVD?

In the past we have shown a few eps of (uncut) Sailor Moon which I actually found good. Also we showed like some middle eps of of Fushigi Yui and Ayasha No Ceres which were just ok and rather dry.

We did show all of Fruits Basket and that was amazing and everyone loved it. We also showed Escaflowne which is kinda both Shojo and Shonen.

I was thinking of checking out X myself. I wasn't sure if I should see (and then show) the movie or the series first, so I wonder if someone could suggest which one I should see first.

-Xenos
Old 2004-03-20, 17:36   Link #2
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Xenos
Just was wondering if our club should show more shojo series. Then I couldn't quite think of any recent ones to show.

So what are some good shojo shows on unliscenced fansub or to buy on US DVD?

In the past we have shown a few eps of (uncut) Sailor Moon which I actually found good. Also we showed like some middle eps of of Fushigi Yui and Ayasha No Ceres which were just ok and rather dry.

We did show all of Fruits Basket and that was amazing and everyone loved it. We also showed Escaflowne which is kinda both Shojo and Shonen.

I was thinking of checking out X myself. I wasn't sure if I should see (and then show) the movie or the series first, so I wonder if someone could suggest which one I should see first.

-Xenos
X tv is good, but the movie sucks. If you must show it, do so after x tv so no one thinks that is really what X is like. As for other shojo series, try kare kano. It's pretty good, at least at first when they still had a budget that was more than the pocket change the producer had at the moment.
Old 2004-03-21, 02:21   Link #3
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
For unlicenced fansubs, Full Moon wo Sagashite is great. (I'm beginning to sound like a broken record here.)

Or perhaps Ultra Maniac for something lighter and more fun.

As for really intense shoujo, try Maria-sama ga Miteru. Kind of like shoujo romance (well, shoujo-ai) concentrated. It's pretty slow, though.

I'm not sure if Puchi Puri Yuushi is considered shoujo as such. Mahou shoujo, certainly, but, well...
Old 2004-03-21, 13:55   Link #4
Hellychan
~chibi tenshi~

You should try Kita-He ~ Diamond Dust Drops ~ (available on fansub)

And yeah X TV is good, I haven't seen the movie yet, but judging from the other's comments, it's not really worth it ^^;
Old 2004-03-21, 14:36   Link #5
Lambda

Utena has gone down wonderfully at my local club.
Old 2004-03-22, 00:48   Link #6
The Xenos

Benn meaning to try Utena or at least check it out myself. Though no one here has a legit copy.

A friend with Kare Kano suggested it. Other club officers are unsure of showing it.

Haven't seen the ep of Kita-He ~ Diamond Dust Drops I got.

Maria-sama ga Miteru may be a bit too slow and shojo-ai.

Which reminds me of the time our former president surprised us when she showed us Fake. I belive that was the first time we'd see shonen-ai.

Speaking of which, I just remembered a shoen-ai series that I actually thought looked interesting. There was a vampire series called Descendents of Darkness I saw on a DVD of previews. Looked kinda cool. Anyone seen that?

Let's see what else was suggested.. Puchi Puri Yuushi. We actually showed an ep of that but it didn't go over too well.

I may have to check out X at least myself. Sounds like the series is better to watch first. Thanks.
Old 2004-03-22, 01:09   Link #7
lordwu

Rose of Versaille maybe? I don't think digisub of it was completed but you can probably try to show the first few episodes.

Full Moon wo Sagashite is very good, I would second that suggestion. The show that succeeded FMwS's time slot is Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch, which I didn't really like at first but it really grew on me the second time when I tried to go for a few more episodes.

Last edited by lordwu; 2004-03-22 at 04:04.
Old 2004-03-22, 01:58   Link #8
deedlit
the High Elf

Legend of Basara is good, not sure whether licensed or not, just know it's old fansub series.
Old 2004-03-22, 05:00   Link #9
wao
OK.

I'll just say what I think is good:

Rose of Versailles - So what if it was made in 1979? It's AWESOME. Especially the 2nd half. Apparently this anime also inspired the creator of Utena...

Princess Tutu - I'm the one sounding like a broken record here :P But yes, I know it seems very kiddish and overly-girly when you hear about it, I mean what the hell it's mahou shoujo and it's cute and it's got a pendant and ducks and dancing and even the TITLE seems cheesy. I hated it until episode 8 and then I looked at it more objectively and suddenly realised how many good points it has. Very very nice if you have a brain and use it.

Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou - Even though I've only read the manga and the love story didn't interest me that much, you have to read/watch it. it's also quite funny and entertaining ^_^

Yami no Matsuei - I suppose this one's Descendant of Darkness. I dunno if this is really shoujo but it sure has bishounen It did show on TV but I never watched it because the fu><ored up broadcaster went and split up the arcs nad only showed like some of them. b00.

and the lead characters in Ayashi no Ceres and Fushigi Yuugi can go piss up a rope. I can't stand (or sit) having Fushigi Yuugi play on the bus TV at the timeslot where I happen to be going home. Urgh. The OP absolutely pisses me off, so do all the guys, and so do some of the voices, but most especially almost everything about Miaka. Oh god. And even if I don't watch it I end up hearing it and... geh.
Old 2004-03-23, 00:55   Link #10
Valkiri

I would suggest Kodomo no Omocha , 102 eps
first half comedy , second half of it is Romance

overview
Kurata Sana is a frenetic eleven-year-old child actress with an extremely overprotective agent, a mother who is an eccentric award-winning author, and a burning desire to do well in school. However, as much as she wants to be a good student, the antics of the boys in her class make learning impossible, according to Sana anyway. And in her eyes, Hayama Akito is the worst offender of them all. A junior-high war of the sexes ensues, and Sana eventually realizes through the chaos that Hayama may not be the "devil boy" she's made him up to be.
Old 2004-03-23, 02:42   Link #11
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Kodomo no Omocha is a good pick. The first 20 or so episodes comprise several story arcs and then the show becomes much more episodic. Although only 32 out of 102 consecutive episodes are available on BT, it would be OK to stop showing the series anywhere after #20.

The anime adaptation is well-written and blends drama and comedy nicely. I think this show is good for an anime club because it refers to Japanese culture and rewards watching in Japanese with subtitles.

The only problem with the series is that they brought in this white bat who wasn't in the manga. He is always correcting people's language and commenting about them and so on. The other characters just ignore him. I wonder what they were thinking when they invented him...
Old 2004-03-23, 07:06   Link #12
The Xenos

Hmm.. Kodomo no Omocha is great, but the MIT anime club already showed it a bit ago and (most importanly) way too long for our club. That's antoher thing I should have said, I was thnking more 26 ep series. Right now we're trying the (more shonen) series Hunter X Hunter and it's rather a bit long. Heck even I skipped it today since I missed it the last like 4 meetings and haven't caught up. I forgot X was a longer series too. Though we did just hit the 50 mark on Hunter. Well, we'll see what everyone thinks when we get talking about what series to show next quarters.

-Xenos
Old 2004-03-23, 16:25   Link #13
Hellychan
~chibi tenshi~

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Xenos
Speaking of which, I just remembered a shoen-ai series that I actually thought looked interesting. There was a vampire series called Descendents of Darkness I saw on a DVD of previews. Looked kinda cool. Anyone seen that?

Yeah Yami no Matsuei (or Descendants of Darkness) is great, even if it's a shounen ai series, there wasn't too much of it ( don't misunderstand me I actually like shonen ai series ) This series is 13 eps long and is divided into four chapters. I particularly like it
Old 2004-03-23, 16:58   Link #14
JOJOS'STAR
Ero~Kairin! ^-^ Yeay!
*Graphic Designer

Wow those are all very good suggestion I would have posted myself.

I'd say start Naruto although its a Shonen.

But I absolutly suggest you show

1- Kare Kano/Kareshi No Kanajo/Kareshi Kanajo No Jijou
2- Tenshi Na Konomaiki
3- Cowboy Bebop
4- Full Metal Panic Only 12 episodes though
5- Jungle Wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu
Old 2004-03-23, 19:36   Link #15
jennwenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellychan
Yeah Yami no Matsuei (or Descendants of Darkness) is great, even if it's a shounen ai series, there wasn't too much of it ( don't misunderstand me I actually like shonen ai series ) This series is 13 eps long and is divided into four chapters. I particularly like it
Wasn't too much shonen ai? There was male bondage and gropage! But yeah, don't let that discourage you. Yami no Matsuei does have a great horror, detective-ish feel to it. Good story, and short.
Closed Thread