AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2008-02-07, 08:44   Link #1
EoT
~~

Vista authorization problem

When I try to delete or rename files (randomly) it says I don't have permission but I clearly do as I am the administrator. Any solutions?
EoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-07, 14:12   Link #2
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Wow, I've never heard of this issue on a Windows system before!

I have a copy of Vista on a virtual machine at home - later tonight I'll take a look and see how it handles file permissions. On Linux/Mac OS X (UNIX-type systems) there is an account that takes priority over administrator accounts known as "root" - taking control of the root account generally allows you to move, rename, or delete files, regardless of their permissions. That's the easy way to solve problems with Unix-based systems, but I don't know if Windows Vista incorporated a root-like account into the system.

Another possible fix is to examine the file properties and see who permissions are assigned to. I don't know if Windows Vista lets you do this (again, I'll check it out tonight) but the permissions may have improperly been assigned to another administrator account, to the root account, or as system files. If you're allowed to toggle permissions, simply set those files to allow full permissions to your account.

Out of curiosity, does this happen with all files, or only with fansubs? If so, how are you downloading them?
Old 2008-02-07, 15:30   Link #3
Kazuma77
Kakashi Fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liliana View Post
When I try to delete or rename files (randomly) it says I don't have permission but I clearly do as I am the administrator. Any solutions?
i think it depends on what kind of files you want to rename or delete...i wouldn't play with system files if i were you
~Ladies, if a guy ever tells you, he wants to cover you from head to toe in honey, and lick it all off inch by inch, that's the man who hasn't done it before. You start at her toes, and before you get to anything interesting, she is asleep and you are in diabetic coma ~
Kazuma77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-07, 19:15   Link #4
EoT
~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Wow, I've never heard of this issue on a Windows system before!

I have a copy of Vista on a virtual machine at home - later tonight I'll take a look and see how it handles file permissions. On Linux/Mac OS X (UNIX-type systems) there is an account that takes priority over administrator accounts known as "root" - taking control of the root account generally allows you to move, rename, or delete files, regardless of their permissions. That's the easy way to solve problems with Unix-based systems, but I don't know if Windows Vista incorporated a root-like account into the system.

Another possible fix is to examine the file properties and see who permissions are assigned to. I don't know if Windows Vista lets you do this (again, I'll check it out tonight) but the permissions may have improperly been assigned to another administrator account, to the root account, or as system files. If you're allowed to toggle permissions, simply set those files to allow full permissions to your account.

Out of curiosity, does this happen with all files, or only with fansubs? If so, how are you downloading them?
It basically randomly happens with any file. When I say I want to for example delete a folder with a alot of files inside (over 5gb) it will say you do not have permission to do that so I spam try again and it still doesn't work but this doesn't happen all the time. Other instances include me renaming a folder (on the desktop which I originally created or downloaded)

I am the only user account on the computer and I checked the permissions and I had all the administrative rights.
Old 2008-02-07, 19:21   Link #5
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I ran a Google search on the issue for you, and found a possible fix. If you did an upgrade from Windows XP to Windows Vista this may match your problem. You can find the full thread here, but I'll quote the important part detailing the fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMann
OK lets see...
Well first off that previous windows installation u had secretly put a little note on those files saying who put the file there and who it belongs too...locking out other users from other installations.
Steps
1. Go to "Computer"--->Tools(at the top)-->Folder options-->View Tab--> In the scroll box there...scroll all the way down to Use simple filesharing(make sure its unchecked)uncheck it if it is.
2. Now (in Explorer) Right click the folder containing all of what you want to access. Click on security. At this point it may take some playing around. Click on the User group called Users(should be toward the bottom) and give themm all rights(could alsoTry adding the User called Everyone and giving themm all rights). Furthermore go to the advanced button and click on the user (USers or Everyone) and check both boxes at the bottom. This process is kind of finky. If it doesnt work on the folder try a single file and do the same steps...(Inheriting permisions doesnt always work for all files within the folder). Leave another message if this doesnt work.
I haven't looked over other pages yet but if that doesn't fix it, there are more Google results to go through. (And as I mentioned before, I'll look over Vista myself to see if it's obvious to me.)
Old 2008-02-07, 20:15   Link #6
EoT
~~

Can't seem to see the options 'Tools' anywhere in the computer category. It's the area where C drive and such is located right?
Old 2008-02-07, 22:35   Link #7
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I loaded Vista up and took a look around. I can't find the tools area myself, actually. I'm not really sure what they were talking about.

I did find the permissions area. Just to be sure, it should be something like this:

You basically right-click the folder or file, do Properties, go to the Security tab, and for Permissions click on the Edit button. Everything except for the very last option ("Special permissions") should have a check-mark under "allow." Ensure that the proper groups and usernames are listed as well.

If those all look fine, then unfortunately it must be something else. Did you do a clean install of Vista/have a machine that came with Vista, or did you upgrade a Windows XP install? Is there anything that links the incidents together - do they all contain files downloaded or created with a certain program? If you haven't been keeping track of those details previously, please start doing so now.
Old 2008-02-07, 23:37   Link #8
EoT
~~

The PC came with Vista and all my permissions are correct.

Thanks alot for your help, I appreciate it. This is a huge nuisance
Old 2008-02-15, 13:10   Link #9
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I wonder if it thinks the files are "locked" for use by some application.

Often I'll have File Explorer up in one window with a file selected but not opened. I'll be trying to delete it in another window and it'll tell me I don't have permission.

Usually it happens to be an audio/video file that the file explorer is trying to "play" in its little subwindow (which means the OS is "helping" me again.. gahhh).

That's my only guess -- I do a fair amount of file management and trip on that issue a lot. Caveat: that's a behavior of win2000 and XP and I have to assume it carried forward with Vista.
Old 2008-02-15, 14:49   Link #10
Ryougi Shiki
私, オレ, lines of origin

The thing about Vista is that you have to hold down Alt in a window for Tools to appear. It's a stupid little thing that I had to learn as well.
Old 2008-02-15, 22:51   Link #11
Epyon9283
Geek

Send a message via ICQ to Epyon9283 Send a message via AIM to Epyon9283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post

Often I'll have File Explorer up in one window with a file selected but not opened. I'll be trying to delete it in another window and it'll tell me I don't have permission.

Usually it happens to be an audio/video file that the file explorer is trying to "play" in its little subwindow (which means the OS is "helping" me again.. gahhh).

That's my only guess -- I do a fair amount of file management and trip on that issue a lot. Caveat: that's a behavior of win2000 and XP and I have to assume it carried forward with Vista.
I don't know if it still works in Vista but you can use http://www.dr-hoiby.com/WhoLockMe/ to see which process is locking a file. Its quite useful.
Epyon9283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-15, 23:06   Link #12
guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Highly possible. Whenever you encounter this problem--can't delete, rename, whatever, a file-- and when all fail, just restart the computer then you are free to do anything to that file. I just can't find what other program is using it when I have this problem. Maybe, it is because the computer is too busy or that particular program is draining the CPU.