AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fansub Groups

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-02-17, 02:30   Link #261
Dark Shikari
x264 Developer
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
If this is about AVI vs MKV:

Do you know how hard it is to make mkv files into DVD movies (DVD player compatible), at least in Vista?

Do you know there are still a lot of anime that will never get licensed?
1. DirectShowSource("filename",convertfps=true)
2. DVD authoring program

Not that hard.
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-17, 04:34   Link #262
Daiz
Pioneer in Fansub 2.0
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
Do you know how hard it is to make mkv files into DVD movies (DVD player compatible), at least in Vista?
Incredibly easy? I've done this a few times with softsubbed MKV releases. I can even tell you the program I've used:
http://www.vso-software.fr/products/convert_x_to_dvd/

But anyway, it's not the fansubber's problem if you can't figure out how to convert their releases to DVDs, so your argument isn't worth anything in this subject.
__________________
"A good user is remembered from his posts, not from his 160px tall animated 'pink flying unicorns' signature picture."
---
The Guide for best H.264 playback
Daiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-17, 07:19   Link #263
ReAn
Shinsen-Subs Staff
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Age: 28
Send a message via ICQ to ReAn Send a message via AIM to ReAn Send a message via MSN to ReAn
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfs View Post
Sorry, me quoting you there made it seem like I said you were the one saying that. It was meant for everyone else who's using the "Real Alternative is illegal" etc. arguments, like ReAn.
I do not recall bringing up that the "Real Alternative is illegal" I was simply debating that it was stupid, since it's propritary and supported by a very narrow slice of the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
If this is about AVI vs MKV:

Do you know how hard it is to make mkv files into DVD movies (DVD player compatible), at least in Vista?

Do you know there are still a lot of anime that will never get licensed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Shikari View Post
1. DirectShowSource("filename",convertfps=true)
2. DVD authoring program

Not that hard.
Alternatively:

VDubMod -> Open MKV -> Reincode to AVI/xvid -> Shabam~

Additionally, if soft-subbed, install VobSub (which you likely do to DISPLAY the subtitles, part of CCCP) which includes the TextSub Filter, which is usable both in the filters option in VDub & as an extension for AviSynth, this will allow you to hardsub the subtitles (you can even re-adjust the size/font to your liking) and then they will show up nicely on your TV.

@guest:

Also, if you're complaining about how much TIME it takes YOU.... Fansubbing is no joke, it takes us a while to do all this too... You dont see results without putting in the effort.
__________________

Currently Involved in: Various Projects with Shinsen-Subs (AFX)
http://www.reanmachine.com/ - My own little world of nonsense
ReAn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-17, 07:39   Link #264
martino
makes no files now
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReAn View Post
VDubMod -> Open MKV -> Reincode to AVI/xvid -> Shabam~
That will only work if the video was encoded in VfW mode, which barely anyone does nowadays if using MKV as their final distribution format... Plus encoding in VDubMod *ugh*.

Just go with Dark Shikari's way... it's not rocket science.

EDIT: Actually, sorry. I think it's my bad here. You definitely need a VfW decoder for the video format, don't know where I go from the fact that it had to be encoded in VfW mode. Either way, given the fact that most MKVs are H.264, that and VfW don't really go together from what I know... :/
Read below...
__________________
"Light and shadow don't battle each other, because they're two sides of the same coin"

Last edited by martino; 2008-02-17 at 08:12. Reason: update
martino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-17, 07:47   Link #265
ReAn
Shinsen-Subs Staff
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Age: 28
Send a message via ICQ to ReAn Send a message via AIM to ReAn Send a message via MSN to ReAn
Quote:
Originally Posted by martino View Post
That will only work if the video was encoded in VfW mode, which barely anyone does nowadays if using MKV as their final distribution format... Plus encoding in VDubMod *ugh*.

Just go with Dark Shikari's way... it's not rocket science.
I suppose I wasn't really suggesting the VDub way over the Synth way, but more trying to point out (at least in some cases) there's another alternative.

That means there (at least WAS) 2 ways to get around it. More emphasis on the fact that it's doable, less than using that particular method.

My other note still stands, you can use the AviSynth Extension to hardsub the .ass once you rip it from the MKV steams so that the final version you convert to DVD has subtitles.

Or if you have a nice DVD Authoring Software Package, I guess you could go the whole nine yards and render a seperate subtitle track so you can still turn them off with your player.

The point is, even the tools for managing the subtitles (when softsubbed) are availiable and easy en ough to use.
__________________

Currently Involved in: Various Projects with Shinsen-Subs (AFX)
http://www.reanmachine.com/ - My own little world of nonsense
ReAn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-17, 07:56   Link #266
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ISDB-T
Age: 27
Wait, what? I was under the distinct impression that the only video CodecID supported by VirtualDubMod was V_MS/VFW/FOURCC, i.e. stuff encoded in VfW mode as martino says. Last time I checked trying to load native H.264 video (or native ASP for that matter) in it just made it break spectacularly. It also doesn't support VFR, nor (IIRC) ASS softsubs.

Edit:

(yes, I have a VfW H.264 decoder enabled)

Conclusion: don't even try using Vdubmod for anything like this, it most assuredly won't work.
Actually suggesting using VirtualDubMod for ANYTHING except possibly OGM muxing/demuxing is a monstrously bad idea. The world would be better off forgetting it ever existed.
__________________
| ffmpegsource
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-17, 08:01   Link #267
martino
makes no files now
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Yes, you are right. It does break spectacularly indeed, with native ASP anyway. Didn't check with H.264, but I suppose them same thing would happen. I just wasn't sure there for a moment...
__________________
"Light and shadow don't battle each other, because they're two sides of the same coin"
martino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-17, 08:14   Link #268
ReAn
Shinsen-Subs Staff
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Age: 28
Send a message via ICQ to ReAn Send a message via AIM to ReAn Send a message via MSN to ReAn
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
blah blah blah, vdubmod is horsecrap blah
Quote:
Originally Posted by martino View Post
Yes, you are right. It does break spectacularly indeed, with native ASP anyway. Didn't check with H.264, but I suppose them same thing would happen. I just wasn't sure there for a moment...
Once again, missing the point of my post, wasn't really suggesting, was pointing out that there's more than one alternative (or at least way back when VfW was something used, although bad)

This seems to be more of a personal attack now than a suggestion, since you've both continue to point it out.
__________________

Currently Involved in: Various Projects with Shinsen-Subs (AFX)
http://www.reanmachine.com/ - My own little world of nonsense
ReAn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-17, 08:26   Link #269
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ISDB-T
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReAn View Post
Once again, missing the point of my post, wasn't really suggesting, was pointing out that there's more than one alternative (or at least way back when VfW was something used, although bad).
And my point was that your suggested alternative isn't an alternative simply because it doesn't work. Sure, there are other alternatives, but vdubmod isn't one of them.

Anyway. There are approximately 2-3 or so fansub releases that use VfW mode stuff in MKV; I was responsible for one of them (Oyasumi's Welcome to the NHK which was VfW XviD in MKV (it wasn't my decision)). For completeness's sake I'll have to note that there's a bunch of older DVDrips which use VfW DivX or XviD though, but since a lot of those are VFR they won't work anyway.
Ironically, since mkvextract is nice enough to create AVI's directly from V_MS/VFW/FOURCC streams, a much better way to handle those releases would be mkvextract and (if hardsubbed) AVIMuxGUI, or (if softsubbed) mkvextract and the original VirtualDub. If they're VFR though the simplest way is still Avisynth and directshowsource.

Playing the personal attack card while backpedaling because you're unable to admit that you were wrong isn't a very smart idea by the way. gg though, thank you for playing.
__________________
| ffmpegsource
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-17, 08:48   Link #270
Daiz
Pioneer in Fansub 2.0
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
I don't think it's a good idea to hardsub something if you are going to make a DVD out of it due to overscan problems. ConvertXtoDVD (which I linked earlier) allows the user to use .srt subs, which will be converted to VobSubs. The program doesn't support .ass though, so to get softsubs out of MKV you usually have to take MKVextract, extract the .ass and use something like AegiSub or SubRip to convert the .ass files to .srt for the program. After that, it's very easy to make a working DVD.

Anyway, I think we have went a bit offtopic with all the technobabble that probably won't be of any help to guest, so let's continue with the actual subject instead of discussing how to convert MKV files to AVIs for DVD burning.
__________________
"A good user is remembered from his posts, not from his 160px tall animated 'pink flying unicorns' signature picture."
---
The Guide for best H.264 playback
Daiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-17, 12:18   Link #271
edogawaconan
LOL?
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Indonesia
Send a message via MSN to edogawaconan Send a message via Yahoo to edogawaconan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daiz View Post
I don't think it's a good idea to hardsub something if you are going to make a DVD out of it due to overscan problems. ConvertXtoDVD (which I linked earlier) allows the user to use .srt subs, which will be converted to VobSubs. The program doesn't support .ass though, so to get softsubs out of MKV you usually have to take MKVextract, extract the .ass and use something like AegiSub or SubRip to convert the .ass files to .srt for the program. After that, it's very easy to make a working DVD.

Anyway, I think we have went a bit offtopic with all the technobabble that probably won't be of any help to guest, so let's continue with the actual subject instead of discussing how to convert MKV files to AVIs for DVD burning.
Nice point on overscan.
one less reason to hardsub: most likely it'll have overscan problem that can't be fixed

edit: now I remember it can be fixed by adding black border. reencoding still needed though
__________________
edogawaconan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.