AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Old 2008-02-17, 10:41   Link #1
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

FireFox 3 Beta 3

I Just started testing it out last night
ANyone else doing the same thing
Old 2008-02-17, 11:29   Link #2
Twilightz
Blah blah blah blah

Nope. What's it like? I'd love to test it.. Maybe I will. =D
Twilightz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-17, 11:56   Link #3
Nicest of the Damned
hikikomori

I just grabbed it right now since you mentioned it. I've used it for a whole five minutes now, but here are my initial impressions; (Keep in mind, I'm running this completely stock on a Linux box, so your mileage may vary)

1. No Home button!? They moved it to the Bookmarks toolbar it seems, and as far as I see, you can't move it back. This is...very strange. Hopefully it's just a bug limited to me and not an actual "feature." I don't like the Bookmark toolbar, and I don't like this behavior.

2. Insane Address Bar! I have to admit, I've never been a fan of auto-completing dropdown boxes, but this new behavior seems pretty invasive. Basically, you type a letter and your entire history pops up in the drop-down in no apparent order. Here is a messed up example of this; say I have AnimeSuki in my history, so I just type an 'a' in the location bar...but I also have a page titled "Welcome to Firefox 3 Beta 3" in my history. For some reason, it chooses "Welcome to Firefox 3 Beta 3" to display first, even though the 'a' is buried within the title. It'd be much more logical that I'd want to autocomplete AnimeSuki.

3. "This might void your warranty!" This is a cute touch; when you go to about:config the first time there's a little warning just reminding you that you can mess things up here. As usual, it's worded with the Mozilla crew's typical charm.

4. Another cool thing I noticed is that things like "Would you like to remember this password?" aren't pop-up messages anymore, but slick messages under the toolbar similar to Internet Explorer's messaging system.

5. Also, I do like the default theme.

Aside from the 'home' button issue (which really is an issue to me, I use my home button a lot! I feel so lost without it ), I'm sure I'll be able to fix the crazy new location bar behavior; I haven't found it yet with a quick glance at the preferences and about:config, but one of Firefox's greatest strengths has always been its flexibility.

I'll be on board when Firefox 3 comes out stable, but at the moment there's nothing compelling enough about it to abandon my comfy, broken in version 2.

Last edited by Nicest of the Damned; 2008-02-17 at 13:20. Reason: spelling, grammar, a missed word.. all that fun stuff.
Nicest of the Damned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-17, 11:57   Link #4
Lanner Falcon
Lord of the Crimson Realm

I have a mac, so yes.

I need some secondary browser, because the rendering engine for safari doesn't support everything.
And firefox on mac is really ugly; except in the beta.
Lanner Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-17, 13:12   Link #5
King Lycan
*IT Support

Im using The beta on fedora core 7

Last edited by King Lycan; 2008-02-17 at 14:27.
King Lycan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-17, 18:22   Link #6
King Lycan
*IT Support

One more thing it takes for ever to the beta to start up
and images load slower hope they fix this :P
Old 2008-02-17, 21:36   Link #7
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Yes, I agree that the lack of a Home button is a very distressing sight. x_x;;

It'd be a great address bar if the history didn't include every nook and cranny of websites you've been through. For example, it knows every single search of danbooru I've made...why can't it only remember "danbooru.donmai.us" instead? I feel like they should implement a limit (or better yet, a user-implemented limit) as to how "deep" into the address tree to store. I really don't need to see all of my Google searches when recalling search form input achieves the same thing.

For tl;dr folks: The address bar's bloated.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote