AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Shana

Notices

View Poll Results: Shakugan no Shana II - Episode 18 Rating
Perfect 10 11 14.29%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 25 32.47%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 19 24.68%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 12.99%
6 out of 10 : Average 12 15.58%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-02-21, 17:36   Link #141
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimkill7 View Post
Am I the only one who was annoyed by this episode? Yuji FINALLY drops his dumb harem guy persona and actually works towards something, and every single character in the show is all over his balls for it. I can't really fault Yuji for the things he said in this episode as they were absolutely correct. Sometimes the cold hard truth is best. If he goes back to standing around like a moron and screaming his lungs out whenever a Tomogara shows up, I can only blame the other characters for halting his growth. And yes, his speech to Yoshida was golden and it should have happened 3 episodes back before my patience got on a bus and left town.
While the logical part of me agrees with what he said, I also agree with Shana: it's not what he really feels, it's just an excuse.

I also understand Kazumi and Shana's anger: Yuuji wasn't answering to Kazumi's confession, but to the situation. It's like saying "You're so far under my radar, your confession of love doesn't warrant a proper answer from me."
Anh_Minh is offline  
Old 2008-02-21, 20:40   Link #142
Rhyel
Senior Member
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Solar System
Age: 38
This episode up my curiosity about Yuji mother, she is more than appear...

Her got sick in this episode, and I think that it is a only one that perceive the new enemy.

The Father of Yuji avoid the Shana attack remember?

Mistery...
__________________
Good Day to you.
Thanks KiNA for this lovely signature.
Rhyel is offline  
Old 2008-02-21, 20:54   Link #143
Owaranai Destiny
Nick of Time~
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Guze no Sekai
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to Owaranai Destiny Send a message via MSN to Owaranai Destiny
Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
We all know Yuji is going to leave to protect everyone and everything thats in the city, he's just disassociating himself to make the transition easier.
Which isn't true, in his case. I don't know if Chigusa's suddenly sickness applies as a plot device for him to start having doubts about leaving the city, but it's there. He's disassociating himself to the extent of being too abrupt. He's making things easier for himself. What he doesn't know is that he's doing it in such a way that hurts others close to him.

Quote:
And you know Yuji took the bento's because he didn't want to hurt her feelings, he resolved himself in this episode to finally stop leading Kazumi along, he knows he doesn't care for her in that fashion, otherwise he would've returned her feelings a long time ago. How he went about it was wrong though. He should've told her straight out that he doesn't love her, it would've made things a little easier.
It's as though the recent events gave him an opportunity to reject her, but he botched it. His first instinct was to the responsibility about the city, and coupled with the fact that he simply rejected her bento when accepting it the day before made it too abrupt. Who wouldn't be angry, even if for a little bit?
__________________
Owaranai Destiny is offline  
Old 2008-02-21, 21:19   Link #144
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: middle of nowhere, Virginia
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
lol..uh... Hecates hat is considered a good sense of fashion? lol

Don't diss The Hat.
__________________
KaneDragon is offline  
Old 2008-02-21, 21:51   Link #145
serenade_beta
マジ天使
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneDragon View Post
Don't diss The Hat.
I'd like a set of her outfit.
__________________

-Tried to start a blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline  
Old 2008-02-21, 22:10   Link #146
DeotoxSlayer
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyel View Post
This episode up my curiosity about Yuji mother, she is more than appear...

Her got sick in this episode, and I think that it is a only one that perceive the new enemy.

The Father of Yuji avoid the Shana attack remember?

Mistery...
I don't Yuji's mom, and dad are anything more than normal humans, and Chigusa's "Sickness" is because Yuji's dad was very "restless" during his stay since he hasn't seen Chigusa in a while, If you get what I mean
__________________
DeotoxSlayer is offline  
Old 2008-02-21, 23:58   Link #147
Guido
Halloween
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Monterrey, Mxico
Age: 34
It would be a cruel thing to me rating this episode with an '8', because the drama was befitting with Shana, Yuuji, and Kazumi's state of their hearts and wasn't campy.

Therefore, I giving it a '9'.

Yes, since the aftermath of the Seishuu Festival, the cast are growing-up to reflect and reevaluate their roles in respect to the ground that all of them are standing on now.
Spoiler:
Guido is offline  
Old 2008-02-22, 01:03   Link #148
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle
Age: 32
Send a message via AIM to HayashiTakara
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneDragon View Post

Don't diss The Hat.
I gotta admit, that pic is Epic Win
HayashiTakara is online now  
Old 2008-02-22, 01:25   Link #149
Silverwyrm
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Folsom, CA, USA
Age: 28
Shana's short response to her thoughts on yuji's feelings were spot on I believe "his answer was right, but also wrong" yuji has understood what it means for him to stay, and that he needs to go (right), but he is trying to claim he has "stopped caring" about the rest since he cant do anything to help them after he's gone(wrong). Just because hes leaving doesn't mean he should stop caring simply because he can't do anything about it anymore.
Silverwyrm is offline  
Old 2008-02-22, 05:40   Link #150
teelotes
ktr
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverwyrm View Post
Shana's short response to her thoughts on yuji's feelings were spot on I believe "his answer was right, but also wrong" yuji has understood what it means for him to stay, and that he needs to go (right), but he is trying to claim he has "stopped caring" about the rest since he cant do anything to help them after he's gone(wrong). Just because hes leaving doesn't mean he should stop caring simply because he can't do anything about it anymore.
Somehow this reminds me of Shana in the 1st season, where she just wants to fight cos she doesn't need to think when she's fighting. It felt that Yuji being so resolute about his own thinking is his way of convincing himself that he has found a solution to the situation, when in fact he is only escaping from it. But I guess it's only normal to swing both extremes (from being afraid to make a decision, to blindly following a wrong one) before one can finally be mature and truly understand the situation.
teelotes is offline  
Old 2008-02-23, 20:35   Link #151
Aquifina
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverwyrm View Post
Shana's short response to her thoughts on yuji's feelings were spot on I believe "his answer was right, but also wrong" yuji has understood what it means for him to stay, and that he needs to go (right), but he is trying to claim he has "stopped caring" about the rest since he cant do anything to help them after he's gone(wrong). Just because hes leaving doesn't mean he should stop caring simply because he can't do anything about it anymore.
I also think this is the best way to approach Yuji's recent spate of problems. Shana's right that Yuji shouldn't try to discard all his human associations, even if his fate is now, perhaps irrevocably, separated from the city. But it should be pointed out that Yuji's desire to leave is also a product of his basic desire to protect those important to him; his comments to Shana *were* off about his mom, but there's nothing Yuji does that indicates any callousness on his part. He takes care of her, takes a day off from school, and even tries to cook.

I also think his attempt at dealing with Kazumi was fine, although her reaction was certainly understandable.

All that being said, I don't think anyone *really* understands Yuji's predicament. It's been mentioned earlier in this thread that he should take more advice from folks like Margery, but Margery's as much in the dark as anyone else as to what's going on with Yuji. And I think all Shana really wants is Yuji (i.e. the human personality of Yuji she met back in season 1) to be in love with her. But Yuji himself now realizes that he's more than just a version of the Sakai Yuji that happens to have the Reiji maigo inside of him. In a lot of ways, the end of the episode only supports Yuji's position--what happens?--he gets attacked *again*, right after Shana and Yoshida criticize his desire to leave the city. I think Shana's under the delusion she can always protect him, and he can always just be the same Sakai Yuji who brought coffee up to her on his rooftop, but that's no longer in the cards.

Furthermore, it's clear that Yuji feels somewhat depressed and isolated; and why shouldn't he be? He's carrying around inside of him some bizarre device that includes a silver monster *and* another person, which happens to be the epicenter of all sorts of misfortunes and disasters. Yuji is now a marked man, pursued by both enemies without, and haunted by the strange things within himself. I think he deserves a lot of credit for trying to find a way to sort it all out, even if his attitude is a bit off right now. And I think Shana and Yoshida should actually think about showing a bit more support for him and his situation; both of them seem to be under the bizarre impression he should just amble along the status quo, where they get to see him at school, and hang out at things like the school festival.

All that being said, Yuji's problem of identity will need to be settled in a way that is more satisfactory to his original self, but also compatible with the realities of his situation.
Aquifina is offline  
Old 2008-02-23, 23:35   Link #152
teelotes
ktr
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquifina View Post
All that being said, I don't think anyone *really* understands Yuji's predicament. It's been mentioned earlier in this thread that he should take more advice from folks like Margery, but Margery's as much in the dark as anyone else as to what's going on with Yuji. And I think all Shana really wants is Yuji (i.e. the human personality of Yuji she met back in season 1) to be in love with her. But Yuji himself now realizes that he's more than just a version of the Sakai Yuji that happens to have the Reiji maigo inside of him. In a lot of ways, the end of the episode only supports Yuji's position--what happens?--he gets attacked *again*, right after Shana and Yoshida criticize his desire to leave the city. I think Shana's under the delusion she can always protect him, and he can always just be the same Sakai Yuji who brought coffee up to her on his rooftop, but that's no longer in the cards.
I can understand why Shana would want Yuji to remain human. He was the one who showed her the world beyond the war between the Crimson World & here. It was the human side of her that she has never got in touch with since she was trained from young by Alastor. Of course, then again, she wouldn't have met just any ordinary human, so perhaps this is the fate of her human side of life & love, if she was ever to have any? Though it would be foolhardy to reject change & keep things the way they are, that's human nature.

On the other hand, Yuji's not all correct too, in believing that there is a final solution out there that would solve his problems. Would leaving the city really solve everything? To me, that is just a haphazard response to his current situation, or worse, an escapist approach. However, I do agree with him being stronger & having the will to fight. What matters most would be having the correct attitude, so if he wants an answer to his problems, he'll have to truly understand the reason why he wants to fight.
teelotes is offline  
Old 2008-02-24, 02:35   Link #153
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Leaving the city will solve one immediate problem: his fights keep endangering those closest to him.

It will also, probably, diminish the frequency of the attacks, since the attackers will have to spend some time looking for him, instead of having his damn home address.
Anh_Minh is offline  
Old 2008-02-24, 16:46   Link #154
teelotes
ktr
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Leaving the city will solve one immediate problem: his fights keep endangering those closest to him.

It will also, probably, diminish the frequency of the attacks, since the attackers will have to spend some time looking for him, instead of having his damn home address.
I guess the translocation of the Reiji Maigo to Yuji is a result of the state of the city, and not vice versa. They did predict (in Season 1 I think) that the city has an affinity to attract trouble, and even if Yuji left the city, any catastrophe couldn't have been prevented and circumstances would probably just draw him back.

He might be at a better position to protect those he loved if he stayed in the city and fight for them. Besides, I believe he also needs to draw the courage and strength to fight by being around his family and friends.

Having said that, I wouldn't mind if he leaves the city for a few days, temporarily. It may sound like a typical plot device, but being separated from the loved ones temporarily will make him treasure them more, and probably understand the situation better from a different perspective.
teelotes is offline  
Old 2008-02-24, 16:52   Link #155
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
What were the troubles that weren't tied to Reiji Maigo?

The twins, who wanted Shana's sword, and Friagne, IIRC. I don't think the city necessarily has anything special... except that it has Reiji Maigo and all those Flame Hazes in it, now.
Anh_Minh is offline  
Old 2008-02-24, 17:56   Link #156
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Location
Age: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by teelotes View Post
I guess the translocation of the Reiji Maigo to Yuji is a result of the state of the city, and not vice versa. They did predict (in Season 1 I think) that the city has an affinity to attract trouble, and even if Yuji left the city, any catastrophe couldn't have been prevented and circumstances would probably just draw him back.
No, I think they say that in Season 2, a few episodes ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
What were the troubles that weren't tied to Reiji Maigo?

The twins, who wanted Shana's sword, and Friagne, IIRC. I don't think the city necessarily has anything special... except that it has Reiji Maigo and all those Flame Hazes in it, now.
Actualy, Friagne's isn't. His devour of city plan is completely unrelated to the Reiji Maigo. He only know about the Reiji Maigo while he's at it. About the twins, since you did say they were there for Shana's sword, so it probably isn't related to Reiji Maigo, either, albeit Shana's stay is because of the Reiji Maigo.
__________________

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
teachopvutru is offline  
Old 2008-02-24, 19:04   Link #157
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: middle of nowhere, Virginia
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiachopvutru View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
What were the troubles that weren't tied to Reiji Maigo?

The twins, who wanted Shana's sword, and Friagne, IIRC. I don't think the city necessarily has anything special... except that it has Reiji Maigo and all those Flame Hazes in it, now.
Actualy, Friagne's isn't. His devour of city plan is completely unrelated to the Reiji Maigo. He only know about the Reiji Maigo while he's at it. About the twins, since you did say they were there for Shana's sword, so it probably isn't related to Reiji Maigo, either, albeit Shana's stay is because of the Reiji Maigo.
...Um... Anh_Minh is saying that those two weren't related to the Raging Mango.

And you can add to that list that random guy Shana used to test Konoe.
__________________
KaneDragon is offline  
Old 2008-02-24, 19:15   Link #158
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Location
Age: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneDragon View Post
...Um... Anh_Minh is saying that those two weren't related to the Raging Mango.
Haha... Didn't read that carefully. XD

Anyway, my mistake.

But I think Yuji won't be able to leave the city even if he wants to... He should be there to attract misfortune to the city.
__________________

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
teachopvutru is offline  
Old 2008-02-26, 09:37   Link #159
minhtam1638
Missing In Action
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bridgeport, CT
Age: 25
Send a message via AIM to minhtam1638 Send a message via Skype™ to minhtam1638
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiachopvutru View Post
Haha... Didn't read that carefully. XD

Anyway, my mistake.

But I think Yuji won't be able to leave the city even if he wants to... He should be there to attract misfortune to the city.
I don't think he can, either. But I also think that Misaki city should stay out of the way, which is impossible at this point because Misaki generally became somewhat of a pool of existence. There's so much conflict in that city that even if Yuji leaves, the aftertaste of Reiji Maigo will still remain, and tomagara and all will still feast on existence.

And goddammit, what is up with these shake-your-booty-left-and-right-hands-like-bunny-ears avatars? I see Shana, Yuki, Kirino, Miyako... I see those things everywhere! Might as well make a Nagi AMV with Shana and Louise singing "WWW.BLONDEGIRL".

EDIT: Why didn't I just say hip-dancing?

Last edited by minhtam1638; 2008-02-26 at 10:48.
minhtam1638 is offline  
Old 2008-02-26, 12:04   Link #160
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: middle of nowhere, Virginia
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by minhtam2448 View Post
And goddammit, what is up with these shake-your-booty-left-and-right-hands-like-bunny-ears avatars? I see Shana, Yuki, Kirino, Miyako... I see those things everywhere! Might as well make a Nagi AMV with Shana and Louise singing "WWW.BLONDEGIRL".

EDIT: Why didn't I just say hip-dancing?
Go here. The meme probably won't last much longer, so if you want to join, you'd better hurry!
__________________
KaneDragon is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:00.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.