AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-02-26, 20:08   Link #1
X10A_Freedom

Earthquake in Central London!

Just before 1am GMT today (27th Feb, 08), I was doing my internet when my place started shaking. I could not believe it, and the water in my jug was also shaking. It lasted a few seconds. I've experienced earthquakes many times in Japan and the Philippines so I know exactly what it feels like. I'm still in a bit of a shock for it to occur in London.

I doubt there is mining or major digging right under my place and the SSL tunnels are a good distance away and it's definately not trains - I know because my lecture theatre is right above the District!

I know the UK is not on a major fault lines but there are many "inactive" faults which decide to wake up every now and then.
X10A_Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-26, 20:53   Link #2
ApostleOfGod
^.^

I never had the luxury of experiencing a minor earthquake, having everything shake.

Lucky...

One is to live life as if nothing is a miracle.

The other way is to live life as though everything is a miracle.
ApostleOfGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-26, 20:54   Link #3
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

iWow i'm happy that ur OK and thats pretty random earthquake in london
Old 2008-02-27, 00:46   Link #4
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApostleOfGod View Post
I never had the luxury of experiencing a minor earthquake, having everything shake.

Lucky...
If you have witnessed the destruction such as the one in Kobe and surrounding Kansai prefectures back in the the Great Hanshin Earthquake of 1995, you would never think having earthquakes are lucky.
Minor quakes may not be very destructive, but you never know when it's a sign of a much larger one.

Buildings were toppled over, subways collapsed, thousands of people dead, and many more without homes.
I worked part-time contract at a workers delegation company back then, which was interestingly enough ran by a Yakuza operation at the top. They are criminals, but Japan's largest yakuza group Yamaguchi-gumi donated massive amounts of workers and food to help the victims of that quake, being Kobe citizens themselves. You never know where you will get help from in a time of great chaos...

Of course, if you meant to say you're lucky to never experience it, then you're absolutely right.

Last edited by aohige; 2008-02-27 at 01:27.
aohige is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-27, 01:04   Link #5
TinyRedLeaf
. . .

I have a couple of friends from university who allegedly slept through the Turkey earthquake in 1999. They were in Istanbul. Apparently there was a lot of heavy shaking, but nothing serious happened to them (luckily).

Quote:
Originally Posted by X10A_Freedom
Just before 1am GMT today (27th Feb, 08), I was doing my internet when my place started shaking. I could not believe it, and the water in my jug was also shaking. It lasted a few seconds.
I find that it highly unlikely that you've experienced an "earthquake", since the UK is nowhere near a seismic zone.

EDIT: I eat my own words.

Earthquake hits much of England

Quote:
BBC News (27 Feb 08) - The biggest earthquake in the UK for nearly 25 years has shaken homes across large parts of England.

People in Newcastle, Yorkshire, London, Manchester, the Midlands and Norfolk felt the tremor just before 0100 GMT. The British Geological Survey (BGS) said the earthquake was of the magnitude of 5.3 and the epicentre was near Market Rasen in Lincolnshire.
The end is nigh. Time to say your prayers before the apocalypse arrives. Earthquakes in England, my my. What's next?
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-27, 01:18   Link #6
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
What was it measured at? I'm sorta wondering that at the moment.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-27, 01:33   Link #7
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Yeah, they can be quite surprising.
Of course, I live in California, where we have the 800-mile (almost 1300 km) San Andreas fault and several other significant ones, so we feel a shake quite often (though higher magnitude ones are rare, of course.)
Having a mildly large earthquake in London may bring snow to southern California, though.
Old 2008-02-27, 01:35   Link #8
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai View Post
What was it measured at? I'm sorta wondering that at the moment.
5.3 according to BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtipbrit92 View Post
Yeah, they can be quite surprising.
Of course, I live in California, where we have the 800-mile (almost 1300 km) San Andreas fault and several other significant ones, so we feel a shake quite often (though higher magnitude ones are rare, of course.)
Having a mildly large earthquake in London may bring snow to southern California, though.
The ones in California are so small though, aside from 1989, that was pretty bad. I've only felt 2 in the last 10 years, and worst that did was rattle the dishes.
Old 2008-02-27, 01:48   Link #9
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripperazn View Post
The ones in California are so small though, aside from 1989, that was pretty bad. I've only felt 2 in the last 10 years, and worst that did was rattle the dishes.
There's actually a lot you hear about on the news that you really never notice. Apparently, there were two or three earthquakes large enough to have a mention in newspapers just last year, but I don't recall actually feeling any of them.
I do remember one time a couple years back when a mild one hit while I was drinking juice, though it was still quite small, I had spilt my juice out of surprise, dropped my glass, and stepped in the shards.
Vengeance shall be mine.
Old 2008-02-27, 02:23   Link #10
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Hah, once again I am glad I live in Michigan. I have never once experienced an earthquake, and I hope I never have to. If anything, we just have to watch out for the occasional tornado, lol.
Old 2008-02-27, 04:21   Link #11
cnnydz
Feed me

Quote:
Originally Posted by X10A_Freedom View Post
Just before 1am GMT today (27th Feb, 08), I was doing my internet when my place started shaking. I could not believe it, and the water in my jug was also shaking. It lasted a few seconds. I've experienced earthquakes many times in Japan and the Philippines so I know exactly what it feels like. I'm still in a bit of a shock for it to occur in London.
i felt it too and i thought it was my imagination lol.
cnnydz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-27, 04:24   Link #12
Marina
~La-la Land~
*Graphic Designer

Well, we get minor little earthquakes all the time up here in Alaska. No surprise if you take a look at where we are and what we border. I hope to never experience a major earthquake.

My Anime List

ISML
Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-27, 07:29   Link #13
Amray

I'm about a 2 hours drive away from central, I didn't feel anything. But their again I was probably sleeping and I have slept through a car explosion real close to my house once, their were fire engines and everything and I never woke up once. XD
Amray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-27, 09:47   Link #14
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

It seems this one is twice as huge than the one south of Manchester in 2002. Of course, this is still nothing compared to the smallest tremors you folks in California and Japan have all the time.

I can still remember that day in Manchester, I was having a lecture between 11-12 when the whole lecture hall shook. At first I thought it was some terrorist bomb (the city was hit by a huge IRA bomb in 1996), it wasn't till later I heard that was actually an earthquake. For the next few days, one can still feel minor tremors.

It was fun while it lasted.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-27, 11:00   Link #15
MihawkXGP
Master of The Sword

I was asleep so i didn't feel anything. That kind of sucks really, because i normally am awake aaround 12-1 am. Even if it was a bigger one, i probably would not have noticed. I can sleep through just about anything.
MihawkXGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-27, 13:27   Link #16
Miko Miko
Imouto-Chan♥
*Graphic Designer

i live near SHEFFIELD! thats miles away from london and a lot of people here felt it.

Miko Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-27, 13:34   Link #17
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Me < sleeping like a baby, didn't feel anything

My sister < saw the table and floor moving, thought it was a ghost, ran to my mum crying

The funny thing is that none of my parents felt anything...our floors must be on some kind a roller O.o

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-27, 13:35   Link #18
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post

I find that it highly unlikely that you've experienced an "earthquake", since the UK is nowhere near a seismic zone.

EDIT: I eat my own words.

Earthquake hits much of England

i was thinking the same when i saw the title...
i was like @_@ wth that isnt even possible...
i guess it is.. the impossible has happened.. again!
though im glad it wasnt a huge quake

EDIT: lol @ that capturing moment...
"It's like the cloverfield monster all over again"
that cracked me up XD
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-27, 13:37   Link #19
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
i was thinking the same when i saw the title...
i was like @_@ wth that isnt even possible...
i guess it is.. the impossible has happened.. again!
though im glad it wasnt a huge quake
Well it isn't the first time as Kinny said...now I remember that one clearly...

It felt like I fell out of bed that night

But UK really isn't prone to natural disasters like that, which is something I am greatful for

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote