AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Old 2008-02-28, 05:08   Link #1
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Night Wizard - The Game

Okay, I got the game in today and have gotten up to the end-part of chapter three. (I'm stuck on this one fight whre my most powerful attacks and magic all hit for 0 damage >.> )

The basic flow is pretty much just a dating-sim type of game. You have your characters on the screen, dialogue box on the bottom, the occasional selection point comes up where you pick an option from a list, and every now and then the scene is supplemented with CG shots. I don't think this is a dating-sim type ending thing though, because it actually does take place alongside the TV series, just shortly after episode 2.

The battles work with the good ol' HP and MP, as well as PP and AP. Hp and MP are, of course, Hit and Magic Points with the usual meaning. AP is used to limit the number of actions each character can make per Player Phase. Different actions cost different levels of AP. AP regenerates with each turn passing. A full turn is both and enemy and player phase. PP is used during the enemy phase to temporarily strengthen either the character's defensive or evasion level in preparation for an enemy attack. PP doesn't regenerate each turn. Each character has basic attacks and skill abilities, as well as support abilities to increase a number of stats for a single attack. Each character can call on their own and other character's support abilities to work in tandem with their own attacks or skills, however doing so still costs the other character(s)' AP. In effect you can pile on up to 4 or even 6 different support abilities onto a single character's attack, but that would limit the actions of the other characters.

The only complaints I have are in regards to the battle system and the flow of the story. Sometimes the scenes can feel over-extended and too long. The battles suffer from a combination of over-drawn out battles, and they aren't even animated really. It's like watching still shots of character flying around the screen so it's hard to get into the action, and you can throw powered-up attacks at a single target for 3+ minutes and not kill it.

That said, the art in general is great and comes straight from the TV series. All the same VAs are here as well. (of course)

Apparently, the game does have multiple endings, but rather than them being decided by which female character you impress, it is decided by a thing called "Hiiragi Rank". So far I've gotten an S rank for chapter 1 and C rank for chapter 2. I don't know for sure what influences your ranking, but I'm assuming it's decided by how much you stick to being in-character for Hiiragi. I would also assume you get a better ending the better accumulative ranking you get, and vice versa.

And finally, one fanboy complaint:

NNNNNGGGGGGRRRRRAAAAAGGGGGGNNNNNNNNHHHHHHHAAAAAHHH HHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There must be 2 dozen different pokes and hints at romantic relationships in this game in just the first two chapters alone!!! Why do they still tease us with this????!!!!!! And Chihaya clearly has a crush on Hiiragi. It's undeniable. And yet, in the anime Ellis and Hiiragi clearly had a thing going on, yet the staff didn't pair them up. So, yeah.
Old 2008-02-28, 13:34   Link #2
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Just by how you described it I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess this game is a Marvelous Entertainment one.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-28, 18:06   Link #3
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Just by how you described it I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess this game is a Marvelous Entertainment one.
Actually, no. According to the main site, it's from FarEast Amusement Research Co. and Enterbrain Inc.

And I forgot about the GM Mode. During the game A "GM" pops up in an alternate dialogue and makes commentation and explanations on a current aspect/subject, as well as giving hints on battles. (I still haven't figured out how to get by that battle I'm stuck on btw ) You have the option of turning this mode on or off, but it's not just a bland narration thing. They stick in some nice humor and entertainment values in it, too.
Old 2008-03-01, 07:38   Link #4
Kresnik
Anti-Hero

Hiiragi Rank? That sounds very cheesy..
Kresnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-03, 03:36   Link #5
Dorfl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
You have your characters on the screen, dialogue box on the bottom, the occasional selection point comes up where you pick an option from a list, and every now and then the scene is supplemented with CG shots.

[...]

The only complaints I have are in regards to the battle system and the flow of the story. Sometimes the scenes can feel over-extended and too long.
Sounds like you have a visual novel on your hands, not a dating sim.