AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Spice and Wolf

View Poll Results: Spice and Wolf - Episode 9 Rating
Perfect 10 20 28.57%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 22 31.43%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 15 21.43%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 14.29%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 4.29%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-03-01, 17:35   Link #61
Thentus
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Might as well waste five seconds of your life; Pennsylvania
Age: 20
Send a message via MSN to Thentus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
ep. 4 has still been the high point for me (Horo pouring her heart out to Lawrence about literally hundreds of years of loneliness).
I personally think episode 6 was the high point, since after that I really felt like I had a much better grip on what was going on, knowing the characters, basic stuff like that. I think it's really made me feel more captivated by everything going on, such a simple show can be extremely entertaining.

But seriously, am I the only one who thinks "What!? Episode is over already?"

I don't know, it just seems to go by so fast.
Thentus is offline  
Old 2008-03-01, 17:48   Link #62
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Freedom Guard Ship Amaterasu
Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Very nice episode Horo and Lawences interactions continue to be the highlights for me. Especially Horo's teasing. Horo totally caught Lawrences scheme to get her say "i just want it to be the 2 of us" it was priceless. But Lawrence bounced back with his usually banter calling Horo cute is alway an in with her. Not much development with sheep herder but im sure we will get more next week. Seems this episode was more of a set up for coming events. Horos tail continues to fascinate me for some reason lol just watching her brushing it is calming .
__________________
Sinestra is offline  
Old 2008-03-02, 00:23   Link #63
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Canada
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
True enough that calling Horo cute can usually solve a situation. For some reason really did enjoy when Horo called him a fool. He really was more interested in her reaction to having a girl travel with them than the implications of someone finding out about who Horo is. Though he did call her cute before then.

I'm with you Sinestra that there is just something about that tail .
__________________
FlareKnight is online now  
Old 2008-03-02, 03:54   Link #64
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
I'm more inclined to think that the tail is a hindrance to any serious romantic involvement. It basically reminds Lawrence and the audience that what he is dealing with is not quite human. He, unfortunately, had a similar comment in this episode. That pat on the head is further signs of it imo. You don't pat a cute 15yo female on the head or any female past 10 yo imo. However, you do pat a dog on the head.
__________________
orion is offline  
Old 2008-03-02, 06:39   Link #65
Chrono Helix
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Was the reason Lawrence asked Horo to stay outside that building is to prevent her from hearing his embarrassing secrets?
Chrono Helix is offline  
Old 2008-03-02, 06:44   Link #66
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Patting people on the head, regardless of age, doesn't shock me. Not when they're being childish.
Anh_Minh is offline  
Old 2008-03-02, 06:49   Link #67
cowteats
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrono Helix View Post
Was the reason Lawrence asked Horo to stay outside that building is to prevent her from hearing his embarrassing secrets?
Spoiler for novel:
cowteats is offline  
Old 2008-03-02, 11:19   Link #68
MyGoddess
Tessa-sama
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Estonia
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to MyGoddess
I kinda felt sorry for Nora when everyone started to avoid her.
At least this episode had funny moments also so I'm not that sad.

Last episode was definitely better so I'll give it a 7.
MyGoddess is offline  
Old 2008-03-02, 12:54   Link #69
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
I'm more inclined to think that the tail is a hindrance to any serious romantic involvement. It basically reminds Lawrence and the audience that what he is dealing with is not quite human. He, unfortunately, had a similar comment in this episode. That pat on the head is further signs of it imo. You don't pat a cute 15yo female on the head or any female past 10 yo imo. However, you do pat a dog on the head.
Um, cultural difference... Patting someone on the head is a Japanese sign of affection at the least and I've seen it frequently on US West Coast in asian communities (Chinese/Korean). Hell, I skritch *my* wife (sansei) on the head and she's somewhat older than 15...
If you'll notice, Horo has skritched Lawrence on the head as well. Signs of affection vary from place to place in the world.....

Also, I've never seen alien features slow anyone down in a science fiction story if they cared about the person. Why should it be different here when part of the story is how Lawrence is coming to accept Horo as a *person* rather than a "monster" or "freak"? (or a human with different racial features...... eh?)
__________________

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-03-02 at 13:21.
Vexx is offline  
Old 2008-03-02, 12:58   Link #70
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Yeah. The tail just makes her cuter.
Anh_Minh is offline  
Old 2008-03-02, 15:19   Link #71
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Canada
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Would agree that keeping Horo outside to help protect his embarrassing secrets would be futile. I'm sure Lawrence knows that and probably why he tried to hush it up pretty quickly.

Also felt the patting on the head was fine for the situation. Be it as the way Lawrence shows he cares or treating her like a kid. Since it did come after the promise of sweet bread.
__________________
FlareKnight is online now  
Old 2008-03-02, 22:54   Link #72
ItsTrue
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
To be honest though, I think that Lawrence is being cautious around Horo... He seemingly is quite conflicted as to whether or not he should really go for Horo... I mean, rationally, he should know that once he does escort her to the North, they are gonna part...

Thus why I think that he always tease Holo in a childish way.
ItsTrue is offline  
Old 2008-03-02, 23:01   Link #73
Thentus
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Might as well waste five seconds of your life; Pennsylvania
Age: 20
Send a message via MSN to Thentus
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTrue View Post
To be honest though, I think that Lawrence is being cautious around Horo... He seemingly is quite conflicted as to whether or not he should really go for Horo... I mean, rationally, he should know that once he does escort her to the North, they are gonna part...

Thus why I think that he always tease Holo in a childish way.
What do you think it is? Holo or Horo, you kind of used both .

I am pretty sure he is entranced by the uniqueness of Horo as there is definitely nobody like her and he does also realize that she is a very valuable traveling partner. Look how much extra money she has made for him, after all .

They might not necessarily part when Horo reaches the North.
Thentus is offline  
Old 2008-03-02, 23:24   Link #74
Masanori Ota
It's Horo, not Han Solo.
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Use Horo. Resist the crazy people that use Holo. Sounds too much like "Halo" or "Han Solo".
__________________
Masanori Ota is offline  
Old 2008-03-03, 02:55   Link #75
USB500
*facepalm.jpg*
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Gensokyo
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to USB500 Send a message via Yahoo to USB500 Send a message via Skype™ to USB500
I found this episode a bit slow on the storywise progress, but Horo's antics made up for the setbacks. And is it just me or did Horo really want Lawrence for herself (although I was sure he didn't perceive Nora as more than a partner)?

And as always, Horo is quite a drinker. o__O
__________________
USB500 is offline  
Old 2008-03-03, 09:25   Link #76
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Canada
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
If there is anything we've learned so far is that Horo can really drink a lot of alcohol. Of course she is usually pretty comical afterwards so maybe a reason it happens so often .
__________________
FlareKnight is online now  
Old 2008-03-03, 16:12   Link #77
Nailen
In Search of Adventure
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Greece
Age: 24
Perfection

Ok. I think this episode was very good, though indeed it wasn't as revealing as the previous ones concerning Horo. However it did intrigue me as to what's going on with Nora and why everyone remains away from her. As for Lawrence he is quite smart. After what happened in episode 4 his relationship with Horo has already moved to another level,more personal. However it is obvious that he wants things to evolve more so he is playing with Nora in order to see if Horo becomes jealous which she does. However he is careful enough not to overpush things. After all it's impossible not to fall for Horo.







P.s.
Sorry, for using this picture till now like a signature though it was't.I didn't know how that you could use a picture as a standard signature ,till now. I am truly sorry.
Nailen is offline  
Old 2008-03-03, 17:48   Link #78
Uncessored
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
I was a huge fan of this episode, wonder what that last scene was about though. By the way, anyone else feel the ending song is catchy in its own unique way? I remember first starting the series and just immediately skipping it and just watching the preview. Now I just kinda let it run and mindlessly stare at a wall for a few seconds.
Uncessored is offline  
Old 2008-03-03, 19:13   Link #79
Thentus
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Might as well waste five seconds of your life; Pennsylvania
Age: 20
Send a message via MSN to Thentus
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
If there is anything we've learned so far is that Horo can really drink a lot of alcohol. Of course she is usually pretty comical afterwards so maybe a reason it happens so often .
I am sure sometime during her lifetime she has developed a high tolerance. Heck, she had so long to do it, it must be way up there .

As for the ending, I flat out hate it. I mean it's a mockery of the english language, which I have no problem with, but because of that it's annoying =/.
Thentus is offline  
Old 2008-03-03, 19:21   Link #80
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
Now, now, I'm sure its never stopped many native english posters here from karaoke'ing Japanese songs badly...

I think its kind of cute listening to a piping little japanese-accented voice singing in english (teeth... rotting... too much... cuteness...).

Horo's a hedonist (like most canines) -- live for the moment, drink, eat, be merry - because it may be a long time til the next meal.
__________________
Vexx is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:06.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.