AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-03-05, 23:38   Link #421
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: A town that has been showered by snow...
Age: 29
renrutal makes the circumstances sound much more tame than the source material...
RMX suddenly makes me think of one lowly digger, Simon that makes Kamina's advances possible. And... I will be very sad if Kyon or Kyonko has to say "Suzumiya is not here anymore! I am... ------{///> (blah)"

Darn. The part that I really enjoyed with Suzumiya Haruhi series is how that Kyon really has such a unique mind. Kyonspeak is chalk full of references that I happily swallow down and the character practically sings with his grumbles to me anyway. Now how to get Kyon-ko do that...
__________________

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori


panzerfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-05, 23:41   Link #422
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Korea
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan View Post
Darn. The part that I really enjoyed with Suzumiya Haruhi series is how that Kyon really has such a unique mind. Kyonspeak is chalk full of references that I happily swallow down and the character practically sings with his grumbles to me anyway. Now how to get Kyon-ko do that...
Kyon is no more unique than another cynical person (although I admit he's a bit extreme).

It's just that getting to see the inside of such a person is an unique experience, for most people.
__________________
Kang Seung Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-05, 23:44   Link #423
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: A town that has been showered by snow...
Age: 29
I have not heard of a high school cynic that can talk about turtle ships and argue with no end over whether to acknowledge it as a myth, take it as reality, accept the story prima facie, or to consider it as 'fact' according to history while not really emotionally embroiled with the topic. It is not his rantings that I am amused with, but how he is able to incite these things to back his melancholic mumblings~ it is really amusing to see a cynical youth able to make such connection and inferences, for I mostly see mere cynics back in high school that cannot back their arguments, or mindless drones that merely recite these facts yet never able to apply them to their own scenarios in life.

Somehow, on second thought, I think this might be rather... limited view to look at the material. Alot of people can't stand Koizumi's ontological technobabbles, and finds Nagato's cryptic error logs hard to comprehend... and they find the fun in the weird antics of SOS and the hardships of Asahina. I guess I might be in a small subset that loves it the moment that Kyon pokes really dry fun at Genro and the last of the Tokugawa XD
__________________

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori


panzerfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-05, 23:51   Link #424
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan View Post
I have not heard of a high school cynic that can talk about turtle ships and argue with no end over whether to acknowledge it as a myth, take it as reality, accept the story prima facie, or to consider it as 'fact' according to history while not really emotionally embroiled with the topic. It is not his rantings that I am amused with, but how he is able to incite these things to back his melancholic mumblings~ it is really amusing to see a cynical youth able to make such connection and inferences, for I mostly see mere cynics back in high school that cannot back their arguments, or mindless drones that merely recite these facts yet never able to apply them to their own scenarios in life.
I have a theory that one of the reasons Kyon peppers his narration with references like that is because he's writing the story from about 20-30 years in the future.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-05, 23:54   Link #425
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Socal
Age: 24
Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via Skype™ to DJ_RockmanX
Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan View Post
renrutal makes the circumstances sound much more tame than the source material...
RMX suddenly makes me think of one lowly digger, Simon that makes Kamina's advances possible. And... I will be very sad if Kyon or Kyonko has to say "Suzumiya is not here anymore! I am... ------{///> (blah)"

Darn. The part that I really enjoyed with Suzumiya Haruhi series is how that Kyon really has such a unique mind. Kyonspeak is chalk full of references that I happily swallow down and the character practically sings with his grumbles to me anyway. Now how to get Kyon-ko do that...
No one's going to be able to surpass the mass of GAR in this series that is Haruki. I think we can be assured of that (at least until we finally address the alternate SOS crew).

As for Kyon. No one's going to be able to replace that crazy son-of-a-biatch. For a "normal human', he's one of the most unique individuals I've ever come across in a work of fiction, although admittedly I haven't experienced all that much yet.

What makes this interesting is trying to translate Kyon's unique characteristics and experiences into the whole new character that is Kyon-chan. They're not going to line up exactly, and I wouldn't expect them to. There's nobody to replace an indiviudal point for point in every trait and memory that has been built up into the person that they formed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
I have a theory that one of the reasons Kyon peppers his narration with references like that is because he's writing the story from about 20-30 years in the future.
The present tense kind of throws that off though.
__________________

DJ_RockmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-05, 23:56   Link #426
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: A town that has been showered by snow...
Age: 29
The tense in the Haruhi storyline... that is possible actually, although the actual tense used in the Japanese version and the Chinese translation is a mix of mostly present tense with some past recollections, whereas in Baka-Tsuki's translation past tense is used due to ease of following. When I was translating, this was a headache for the proofreaders. There is a unified format API that could be read on Baka-Tsuki regarding formatting on this actually.

And yes, I personally got suspicious when Kyon gets talking about things such "Marianas Turkey Shoot", for that's not even what a typical Japanese high school student is supposed to learn in the textbooks!
__________________

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori


panzerfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-06, 00:01   Link #427
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan View Post
The tense in the Haruhi storyline... that is possible actually, although the actual tense used in the Japanese version and the Chinese translation is a mix of mostly present tense with some past recollections, whereas in Baka-Tsuki's translation past tense is used due to ease of following. When I was translating, this was a headache for the proofreaders.
Ah, you're one of the translators. I didn't know that.

Yeah, present tense means nothing. He makes reference to the "readers" several times.

Besides, have any of you read any of Frank McCourt's books? He writes about himself and his own history, but writes as though it's happening at that moment.

Also, he doesn't use quotation marks. Ever.

By the way, I found this list of "inter-character names" on Baka-Tsuki.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-06, 00:07   Link #428
tshouryuu
Residential Nutcase
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Outer Cadia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
To be saved by the handsome prince of yore?

Don't ask me. Ask my twisted sense of inspiration. I was editing the text to make it more feminine, saw the line about "saving the captured princess" and it hit me.

If Kyon watched shonen anime, I'm guessing Kyon-ko watched (bad) shojo.
Here is a question, are you making Kyon-chan a tsundere? If so that line just doesn't quite seemed to compute. Also bad shoujo is more likely, imho, to turn her into a yaoi fangirl (I don't have much experience with shoujo so its purely guesswork on my part).
__________________
tshouryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-06, 00:08   Link #429
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Korea
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan View Post
And yes, I personally got suspicious when Kyon gets talking about things such "Marianas Turkey Shoot", for that's not even what a typical Japanese high school student is supposed to learn in the textbooks!
And you're saying that Japanese students only knows what they learn in school?


In my opinion, you're either underestimating the Japanese students, or overestimating the maturity of Kyon.
__________________
Kang Seung Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-06, 00:10   Link #430
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: A town that has been showered by snow...
Age: 29
Kang Seung Jae: I pessimistically would say that this isn't the kind of image nor the information that the Japanese educators want to feed to their own youth. Therefore, it is not uncommon for the youth to remain completely oblivious to such things. Heck, the fall of the last empress of South Korea I doubt would be something they would talk about, whereas the naval victory over Tsushima Strait, 1905 would be trumpeted in the Japanese textbooks.

As such, given how the Japanese educational system kills self-learning with their regime, for people to know more than what they are spoon fed is surprising.

Kaisos Erranon: That sound interesting.

(and I will apologize for going off on a huge tangent right now and think more about Kyon-ko, as I realize that my words are going adrift on a 'nice boat' cruise )
__________________

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori


panzerfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-06, 00:11   Link #431
beanbrew
Seitenkan's Warmonger
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: In your cat.
Age: 22
Send a message via AIM to beanbrew
Totally random, but maybe this thread should be "The Genderbending of Haruki Suzumiya".
________
RXV450

Last edited by beanbrew; 2011-01-24 at 19:58.
beanbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-06, 00:12   Link #432
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshouryuu View Post
Here is a question, are you making Kyon-chan a tsundere? If so that line just doesn't quite seemed to compute.
Not really. Not a typical tsundere, no. Typical tsunderes only really work when they don't narrate the story.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-06, 00:13   Link #433
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Socal
Age: 24
Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via Skype™ to DJ_RockmanX
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanbrew View Post
Totally random, but maybe this thread should be "The Genderbending of Haruki Suzumiya".
Well the idea is that Haruhi's crew is the one being genderbent. The other title implies the reverse.
__________________

DJ_RockmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-06, 00:15   Link #434
renrutal
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan View Post
renrutal makes the circumstances sound much more tame than the source material...
I'd say the source material is much more tame than this


Now what was again the point of the Dai-Gurr... erm Dai-SOS Brigade, would they still be into paranormal events? I still don't know Haruki's objectives.... to overload the world with manliness?

What would Haruki write in the ground 3 years ago? Challenge the whole universe by writing "ORE WO DARE DA TO OMOTTEYAGARU" in alien speak?

Another trait of Haruki: regarding himself as "Ore-sama".
renrutal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-06, 00:18   Link #435
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Korea
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan View Post
Kang Seung Jae: I pessimistically would say that this isn't the kind of image nor the information that the Japanese educators want to feed to their own youth. Therefore, it is not uncommon for the youth to remain completely oblivious to such things. Heck, the fall of the last empress of South Korea I doubt would be something they would talk about, whereas the naval victory over Tsushima Strait, 1905 would be trumpeted in the Japanese textbooks.

As such, given how the Japanese educational system kills self-learning with their regime, for people to know more than what they are spoon fed is surprising.
And I pessimistically say that you don't have much knowledge on what Japanese students know
__________________
Kang Seung Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-06, 00:20   Link #436
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by renrutal View Post
I'd say the source material is much more tame than this


Now what was again the point of the Dai-Gurr... erm Dai-SOS Brigade, would they still be into paranormal events? I still don't know Haruki's objectives.... to overload the world with manliness?

What would Haruki write in the ground 3 years ago? Challenge the whole universe by writing "ORE WO DARE DA TO OMOTTEYAGARU" in alien speak?

Another trait of Haruki: regarding himself as "Ore-sama".
We can't use "Ore-sama" in English.

And for the love of God, he's not exactly Kamina. He's too pretty for that.

Though the "Save the world by Overloading it with Suzumiya Haruki's manliness Brigade" sounds not half bad.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-06, 00:23   Link #437
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: A town that has been showered by snow...
Age: 29
Sorry about that. Going back to topic... at least that kiss with Haruki wasn't the kiss of death as it were with Yoko and Kamina.
__________________

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori


panzerfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-06, 00:24   Link #438
renrutal
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Ore-sama -> I, the <insert a superlative adjective here> Haruki Suzumiya
renrutal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-06, 00:27   Link #439
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Socal
Age: 24
Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via Skype™ to DJ_RockmanX
@panzerfan and Kang Seung Jae: Enough.

@rentutal: Keep thinking of the ways in which Haruki can spread hot bloodedness to the far reaches of the universe.

@Everyone else: Find ways for Kyon-chan to make him fail miserably.
__________________

DJ_RockmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-06, 00:29   Link #440
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Korea
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_RockmanX View Post
@panzerfan and Kang Seung Jae: Enough.
All right, mate.


Meanwhile, on Kyon-chan: Can I have a short summary on her mental processing style?
__________________
Kang Seung Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
genderbender, seitenkan

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:06.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.