AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2008-03-06, 11:37   Link #541
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens

Aggh, this is going to be difficult. Fortunately, most of the harder parts come in Chapter Two...

I'd like a consensus on the Computer Club before I start writing this.
Old 2008-03-06, 11:42   Link #542
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

I'm currently writing a 'tryout' on the Computer Club to see what people think of leaving the club male, with Kyonko being the victim this time. Maybe that will some people decide whether or not they like it.

Of course, not having read the novels this will be based on the anime dialouge and events.
Old 2008-03-06, 11:50   Link #543
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintor View Post
Right, pulling an editjob on Kaisos' stuff.

Spoiler for Length:

Honestly Kaisos there isn't really that much to edit. Just some rearrangement of phrases and spacing, italics for emphasis maybe. If you don't like anything feel free to sandblast me.
Somewhat ironically, you changed some of the stuff I changed to make it sound a bit softer...
Old 2008-03-06, 12:07   Link #544
Tangowr

Spoiler for too many image:

Already posted on page 14

Kyon-ko

Kyon-ko is carrying...

Student Council President: It is our decision to disband this club
Haruki: Ha, what ever you decide we'll fight till the end!!
KyonKyon: Haruki, CALM DOWN!!

The disappearance of Suzumiya Haruki

KyonKyon: This Yuki is interesting...
*The middle two panel are Yuki's imagination*

KyonKyon and Asakura

KyonKyon and Emiri

KyonKyon and Itsuki

Last edited by Tangowr; 2008-03-21 at 20:12.
Tangowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-06, 12:08   Link #545
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Good god, I can't believe I spent half an hour to skim 20+ pages all posted in the space of 24 hours.

Who knows, at this rate, we might have to open a separate image thread for Kyonko and all the SOS Brigade genderbenders.

It was fun while it lasted.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-06, 12:10   Link #546
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via Skype™ to DJ_RockmanX
@Tangowr: You rock. Especially the pics of Yuuki. My god I might go gay for him.

DJ_RockmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-06, 12:17   Link #547
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

I hope I am not too late to contribute my thoughts about the Computer Club.

First of all, some thoughts on the general scope of the project.

It is not critical for us to stick to the canon material faultlessly, and indeed, this project would not work at all if we have to. By the very nature of changing their gender, we have already changed the base material. We are not making a documentary here. We are making a parody.

That said, the one thing we have to maintain, is the sense of identity that this is SHnY. The so-called spirit of the series. Just like what KyoAni have done, it is okay to tweak the source material if we maintain the spirit of the source material. It is better to be creative and work around an obstacle, then to stall and bang our heads needlessly on some technicalities.

Maintain the spirit. This is why I am disappointed in that comic of Asakura. Asakura is an entity that does not understand emotions. She knows the meaning of fun, but not understand it. By suddenly imparting this understanding into the male version of Asakura, the fanartist has severed the link between the original and the edited version. Neo-Asakura is no longer a male version of Asakura, but an unknown entity.

With all of that said, I propose the following suggestions for the Computer Club. Feel free to criticise. It has been a long time since I had to write a gender-bender fanfic, or any written fiction for that matter.
~~~~ ~~~~

- Make them female. If we compromise here now, we will have to compromise again in the future.

- Have them be female otakus (I forgot the female term for it). It will then make sense for them to have state-of-the-art computers to watch their latest HD-animes, or play their eroges.

- Have Neo-Haruhi grab Neo-Mikuru's hand to grope the Computer Club President(CCP) while Kyon-ko snaps photos. Extort the computer from her under the context that poor sweet innocent Neo-Mikuru (who the CCP does not know is an accomplice of Neo-Haruhi... yet) will be ruined for life if the photos spread. The CCP is initially resistant ("Why the heck should I care?!"), but after seeing Neo-Mikuru cry pitifully on his knees(being an otaku, it may be part of her fetish ), her heart softens and in a moment of weakness, surrenders the computer to the astonishment of her peers.

- During the DoS-III chapter... the CCP angrily challenges the SOS-dan to a game battle. The latest hot eroge (it can either be for girls or guys, but it would be more hilarious if it is for girls (note, not necessarily yaoi, just a reverse harem situation)) is about to be released and the competition is to see which club can complete the game the fastest. Details are as follows-
  • Both sides will have a copy of the demo to practice with.
  • On the day of release, both clubs will begin.
  • Each member will play the game individually using their own copy.
  • Neo-Haruhi gets frustrated because he keeps getting dumped by the game-girls/boys. On that note, it might be funnier if Neo-Taniguchi's recollection of Neo-Haruhi's dating were about his "constant rejections". A twist due to the gender-bender.
  • Proof of completion is to sent the bonus CG-art to the other club.
  • Neo-Yuki detects that the CC is cheating by using an online walkthrough. He requests permission from Kyon-ko to terminate their internet connection.
  • Neo-Yuki does not actually "play the game". He analyses the entire conversation tree structure from the game code and methodically picks the fastest choice everytime. Due to his "inhuman" ability to read fast ("Erm... Nagato? If you scroll that fast, you might hurt your eyes"), he is also able to answer the CC's questions flawlessly when they doubt him about actually reading the game-text (they suspect that he hacked the pictures out from the game files).
  • The CC-girls swoon over their perception that Neo-Yuki is a guy who totally understands how a girl thinks and deems him to be a keeper. Cue begging Neo-Haruhi to borrow him from time to time.
  • Neo-Yuki desires to visit the CC because he feels he might learn something from it (emotions), but does not directly tell Kyon-ko about it.
Cheers.
Old 2008-03-06, 12:35   Link #548
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via Skype™ to DJ_RockmanX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
I hope I am not too late to contribute my thoughts about the Computer Club.
It's never too late.

Quote:
First of all, some thoughts on the general scope of the project.

It is not critical for us to stick to the canon material faultlessly, and indeed, this project would not work at all if we have to. By the very nature of changing their gender, we have already changed the base material. We are not making a documentary here. We are making a parody.

That said, the one thing we have to maintain, is the sense of identity that this is SHnY. The so-called spirit of the series. Just like what KyoAni have done, it is okay to tweak the source material if we maintain the spirit of the source material. It is better to be creative and work around an obstacle, then to stall and bang our heads needlessly on some technicalities.

Maintain the spirit. This is why I am disappointed in that comic of Asakura. Asakura is an entity that does not understand emotions. She knows the meaning of fun, but not understand it. By suddenly imparting this understanding into the male version of Asakura, the fanartist has severed the link between the original and the edited version. Neo-Asakura is no longer a male version of Asakura, but an unknown entity.
I agree that we must maintain the spirit of the series above all else, and that working around obstacles in a creative manner is the best course of action in terms of writers' block.

That said, I believe that the characters we are creating are completely different people than the ones they are based on. So in the case of the male Asakura, he would have come to different conclusions and have a different scope of the situation at hand compared to the original female Asakura. Playfulness and flirting with a girl is something unique to his character, and something that distinguishes what he has experienced during his time as a humanoid interface in his interactions with others around him.

Quote:
With all of that said, I propose the following suggestions for the Computer Club. Feel free to criticise. It has been a long time since I had to write a gender-bender fanfic, or any written fiction for that matter.
~~~~ ~~~~

- Make them female. If we compromise here now, we will have to compromise again in the future.

- Have them be female otakus (I forgot the female term for it). It will then make sense for them to have state-of-the-art computers to watch their latest HD-animes, or play their eroges.

- Have Neo-Haruhi grab Neo-Mikuru's hand to grope the Computer Club President(CCP) while Kyon-ko snaps photos. Extort the computer from her under the context that poor sweet innocent Neo-Mikuru (who the CCP does not know is an accomplice of Neo-Haruhi... yet) will be ruined for life if the photos spread. The CCP is initially resistant ("Why the heck should I care?!"), but after seeing Neo-Mikuru cry pitifully on his knees(being an otaku, it may be part of her fetish ), her heart softens and in a moment of weakness, surrenders the computer to the astonishment of her peers.

- During the DoS-III chapter... the CCP angrily challenges the SOS-dan to a game battle. The latest hot eroge (it can either be for girls or guys, but it would be more hilarious if it is for girls (note, not necessarily yaoi, just a reverse harem situation)) is about to be released and the competition is to see which club can complete the game the fastest. Details are as follows-
  • Neo-Haruhi gets frustrated because he keeps getting dumped by the game-girls/boys. On that note, it might be funnier if Neo-Taniguchi's recollection of Neo-Haruhi's dating were about his "constant rejections". A twist due to the gender-bender.
  • Neo-Yuki detects that the CC is cheating by using an online walkthrough. He requests permission from Kyon-ko to terminate their internet connection.
  • Neo-Yuki does not actually "play the game". He analyses the entire conversation tree structure from the game code and methodically picks the fastest choice everytime. Due to his "inhuman" ability to read fast ("Erm... Nagato? If you scroll that fast, you might hurt your eyes"), he is also able to answer the CC's questions flawlessly when they doubt him about actually reading the game-text (they suspect that he hacked the pictures out from the game files).
  • The CC-girls swoon over their perception that Neo-Yuki is a guy who totally understands how a girl thinks and deems him to be a keeper. Cue begging Neo-Haruhi to borrow him from time to time.
  • Neo-Yuki desires to visit the CC because he feels he might learn something from it (emotions), but does not directly tell Kyon-ko about it.
Cheers.
I don't want to yield on complete genderbending, but at the same time I want my EPIC SPACE BATTLE with Haruki at the helm. Hmm...

Old 2008-03-06, 12:50   Link #549
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
~~~~ ~~~~

Cheers.
Even though I'm currently working on an example of a still-male Computer Club scenario, I'm not against genderbending them either. Like DJ, though, I would still like an epic space battle.
Old 2008-03-06, 13:11   Link #550
Skane
Anime Snark

Wink

You guys do realise that the "epic" space battle is an anime-original right? Is this project based on the anime or the novels? While I am a big fan of the anime, I am approaching this project based on the novels.

Cheers.
Old 2008-03-06, 13:12   Link #551
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Quote:
You guys do realise that the "epic" space battle is an anime-original right? Is this project based on the anime or the novels? While I am a big fan of the anime, I am approaching this project based on the novels.

Cheers.
Indeed it was. At least the portrayal was. The game concept was the same in the novels though.

http://www.baka-tsuki.net/project/in..._v05c02_01.jpg

I think KyoAni just wanted to have more fun with the scenario given to them, and they still stuck to the original pretty well. Plus where else are you gonna see Yuki CHARGING AND FIRING THE UBER SPACE LAZOR?

Edit: Wait a tick.

http://www.baka-tsuki.net/project/in...of_Sagittarius

The novel short story was interspersed with space scenes too.

Old 2008-03-06, 13:18   Link #552
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:

Cheers.
I've never read the novels, unfortunately. And living on the other end of the ocean makes it tricky for me to get them.

Edit: ... Question: Does baka-tsuki have all the novels translated in their entirety?
Old 2008-03-06, 13:20   Link #553
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
I've never read the novels, unfortunately. And living on the other end of the ocean makes it tricky for me to get them.

Edit: ... Question: Does baka-tsuki have all the novels translated in their entirety?
Uh yes.

Old 2008-03-06, 13:20   Link #554
Raijinken
Victoria's secret weapon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_RockmanX View Post
@Tangowr: You rock. Especially the pics of Yuuki. My god I might go gay for him.
YES! THANK YOU!

Seeeeeee Kaisos? I'm NOT the only one!

TAKE THAT! My fandom knows NO barriers!

Also... yeah people... I have to read through like five pages before I'm up to speed. Haruhi damn you all for taking advantage of my sleeping state. And my working state. And my EATING STATE, WTF.
Raijinken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-06, 13:21   Link #555
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raijinken View Post
YES! THANK YOU!

TAKE THAT!
Shh. I'm still straight until we see the second season of Haruhi genderbent.

Old 2008-03-06, 13:23   Link #556
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Uh yes.
*cracks knuckles* one problem solved, now I won't have to base my dialouge around the anime version and hope the two versions are alike. Thanks a lot.
Old 2008-03-06, 13:24   Link #557
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
*cracks knuckles* one problem solved, now I won't have to base my dialouge around the anime version and hope the two versions are alike. Thanks a lot.
Ganbaru yo. I look forward to your work. Maybe we'll put everything together after we hijack the SOS-dan wiki project page.

http://wiki.sos-dan.com/wiki/The_Gen...aruhi_Suzumiya

And Kaisos, keep at your pace too. Everything will come together soon.

*evil laugh*

Old 2008-03-06, 13:25   Link #558
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raijinken View Post
YES! THANK YOU!

TAKE THAT!

My fandom knows NO barriers!
Yes, but he doesn't loudly rhapsodise about his fantasies in front of other people.

Be careful or I will somehow get Minoru Shiraishi to come to your house and serenade you with WAWAWA.
Old 2008-03-06, 13:33   Link #559
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Indeed it was. At least the portrayal was. The game concept was the same in the novels though.

http://www.baka-tsuki.net/project/in..._v05c02_01.jpg

I think KyoAni just wanted to have more fun with the scenario given to them, and they still stuck to the original pretty well. Plus where else are you gonna see Yuki CHARGING AND FIRING THE UBER SPACE LAZOR?

Edit: Wait a tick.

http://www.baka-tsuki.net/project/in...of_Sagittarius

The novel short story was interspersed with space scenes too.
Only in the opening scene. The rest of the chapter basically only has running commentary (with game jargon, etc...) when talking about the game. If we apply the same format to my idea, the opening scene will basically be a parody of an eroge game gone horribly wrong.

KyoAni expanded much, much more on the space battle world, and this includes the type of weapons used. If KyoAni had followed the novels strictly, we would basically be watching the monitor screen after the OP (with Kyon explaining what the symbols mean), and that would have been hella boring visually.

Cheers.
Old 2008-03-06, 13:35   Link #560
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Quote:
Only in the opening scene. The rest of the chapter basically only has running commentary (with game jargon, etc...) when talking about the game. If we apply the same format to my idea, the opening scene will basically be a parody of an eroge game gone horribly wrong.

KyoAni expanded much, much more on the space battle world, and this includes the type of weapons used. If KyoAni had followed the novels strictly, we would basically be watching the monitor screen after the OP (with Kyon explaining what the symbols mean), and that would have been hella boring visually.

Cheers.
I interpreted the parts that begin with military time differently. Especially the part about a rain of lasers at 1615 hours and stuff like that.

Tags
genderbender, seitenkan