AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-03-03, 22:36   Link #21
wao
OK.

I was talking about this to a Japanese friend (probably my only one ) and at least according to her it seems like your average Japanese citizen isn't actually aware of the law being proposed this time around. There was something similar a few years ago except that it was extended to traditional mass media so there was a lot of uproar about it in the media and everyone knew.

Now, however, it isn't and it's primarily aimed at the internet which, according to her (and various things I've seen here and there) is seen as an enemy by most mass media, and something they'd like to have control over. Hence you see nothing about this in the media, and the average person wouldn't know unless they were knowledgeable users of the net.

Which is why the most noise you'll probably hear about this (as far as I understand) is going to be on the net, with people trying to spread it through mixi and so on. Well duh, it's the net that's going to suffer!

I'm guessing most people'll think "well hey, I don't do this stuff on the net (and most people who spend so much time on it must be losers anyway!)
so why not do it? It'll make the net a nicer place!"

And I'm not surprised that what they call the Net-rightwingers have been cautioning that this will totally be used by zainichi to stamp out any criticisms of Korea. (Another group of people who'd like to use it is Soka Gakkai, which has been known to get criticisms about them censored)

Zainichi or not, it's an awful law and I hope it doesn't get passed... if it can get passed though. I have no idea what the People Up There are really like, this is just all stuff I heard about.
Old 2008-03-03, 22:41   Link #22
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
but I can't really see a "Great Firewall of Japan" in that country's future. Or am I just a dreamy Western optimist?
The "Great" Firewall is as worthless as the "Great" Wall.
Old 2008-03-04, 10:37   Link #23
LiberLibri
(`◉◞౪◟◉)

Send a message via AIM to LiberLibri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
From what I've heard the Japanese may be open to people speaking on the topics that you mentioned, but they are extremely closed when it comes to saying anything that would be considered anti-Japan.
Correct. They love acts of self-criticism; newspapers and magazines, not to mention the Web, are full of articles blaming the govenment. At the same time, they are very sensitive to criticism from outside the Islands.

However, I believe it's quite common behaviour among other nations. I know some US citizens enjoy jeering at Mr. Bush's conducts, but how will they feel if I, not a US citizen nor a stakeholder, say something ridiculous on the dignity of him, while I have only superficial and shallow understanding on the country? Is a UK subject gentle to foreigners showing contempt to the Crown?

Though, I think the "patriotism" in Japan has been raised up to a dangerous zone these days... Mutually emotional reactions with Korea(s) and China have left detriment effect for all the parties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thentus View Post
Of course, considered by a group of people clearly biased.
Could you kindly think of the possibility that the criticisers might be more biased? Everyone easily believes he/she be objective, free from any bias.
LiberLibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-04, 19:49   Link #24
Thentus

Location: Might as well waste five seconds of your life; Pennsylvania
Send a message via MSN to Thentus
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiberLibri View Post
Could you kindly think of the possibility that the criticisers might be more biased?
I don't remember calling the criticizers a bunch of people with no bias, did I? How do you know if I did or didn't think the criticizers might be more biased? Did you think I implied it somewhere? Implications are so great, because you never truly LEARN anything. You get an idea but in the end, you do not completely know anything. Stop trying so hard to take away implications that are simply non-existent.

"Anti-Japan", might I add is undefined to me as I don't know what their culture is truly like. Of course I could act on things IMPLIED but that wouldn't be very useful would it? I take it simply as they want to send a better message than "you have no power" because it sounds a bit better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiberLibri View Post
Everyone easily believes he/she be objective, free from any bias.
This is besides the point, belief is not always reality.

Also, you have to be heavily in denial if you honestly think people will ever have NO bias.
Thentus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-05, 04:33   Link #25
LiberLibri
(`◉◞౪◟◉)

Quote:
Also, you have to be heavily in denial if you honestly think people will ever have NO bias.
Exactly. There is no tabula rasa (as far as we the human beings could reach). I, as well as you, might be also subjective and caught in bias. That is why criticism, couter-criticism, counter-counter-criticism... should be allowed.
Old 2008-03-05, 20:24   Link #26
Thentus

Dude, that didn't change anything at all. Did you read the rest of the post?
Old 2008-03-06, 06:28   Link #27
LiberLibri
(`◉◞౪◟◉)

Must I explain everything from alpha to omega?

Firstly, Ledgem wrote at #14;

>but they are extremely closed when it comes to saying anything that would be considered anti-Japan.

Then our dearest Thentus wrote at #16;

>Of course, considered by a group of people clearly biased.

Conjunctured intepretation:

>they are extremely closed when it comes to saying anything that would [be] considered by a group of people clearly biased.

I thought it was not always true. Your noble speech seemed to me (wrongly) as something insisting that criticisers were fully-informed and rational while the reactors were ignorant and biased. So I told at #23;

>Could you kindly think of the possibility that the criticisers might be more biased?

However, if you were already aware of such possibility and did not imply as above, then there exists no difference between us. I had nothing to say.
Old 2008-03-06, 20:17   Link #28
Thentus

Quote:
Did you think I implied it somewhere? Implications are so great, because you never truly LEARN anything. You get an idea but in the end, you do not completely know anything.
OK, since you need me to quote myself.
Old 2008-03-06, 21:40   Link #29
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Gentlemen, as the initial thread starter I think you should, as those Old West bartenders would say, "take it outside." This conversation has gone far off topic by now.
Old 2008-03-07, 16:36   Link #30
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Semantic tomfoolery derail ... ergh.

It *looks* like there was enough backfire that the politicians responsible have kind of done their "feel good" thing and the act is in the japanese equivalent of "back in committee". And, like the US govt is prone to.. .they'll try to slip it in later in some omnibus nonsense.
Old 2008-03-07, 22:04   Link #31
TigerII
Pilot in Training

^^^ Congress is notorious for this. By the time a bill passes it will have fifty parts that have nothing to do with the original bill.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-08, 15:31   Link #32
Thentus

I don't believe Japan operates on a presidential/congressional system.
Old 2008-03-08, 15:48   Link #33
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

No, it operates on a parlimentary system... but it still passes bills and the bills often contain a lot of cruft and favors like omnibus bills tend to have.