AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-03-15, 02:01   Link #2201
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: A town that has been showered by snow...
Age: 29
I just realized something.
In volume 4, if Asakura's gender is female instead of being male, the whole scenario with Kyonko would be rather interesting to behold... with Asakura caring about Nagato deeply, such a scene would be quite interesting! I can already picture this in my head...
__________________

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori


panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-15, 02:02   Link #2202
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Socal
Age: 24
Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via Skype™ to DJ_RockmanX
Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan View Post
I just realized something.
In volume 4, if Asakura's gender is female instead of being male, the whole scenario with Kyonko would be rather interesting to behold... with Asakura caring about Nagato deeply, such a scene would be quite interesting!
Uwaa. The fangirls will go nuts.
__________________

DJ_RockmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-15, 02:12   Link #2203
Puffendahl
Että koko kokkoko?
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: GMT+3 hours.
Oh... I knew I should have tried to make my pic look more like Noizi Ito's great work. But since she's pretty much my idol (or something like that), and I thought I would never be able to make a good look-alike (I don't want to use the word "copy") of her artwork, I just went with my "own style". Too bad

I guess I'll have to start over with the drawing

Anyway, here's the pic I was planning on posting in B-T.

It's not the final version, as I was pretty much in the middle of editing (I was trying to add screentones with my hardly-existing image editing programs... this computer I'm on is terrible). However, since I most likely won't post it (I need to start working on something more Noizi Ito-like), I think I'll leave it as it is. Mainly because messing around with it too much might ruin it, and I hate taking risks.

Oh well. It's not a terrible pic, so I thought I might as well show it. The only problem with it is the style... I'll have to be brave and see if I can create something that doesn't put Noizi Ito-sama into eternal shame
Puffendahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-15, 02:15   Link #2204
Riker
Peek a boo
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzCradle View Post


The 1st pic (of the last episode) is simply adorable ; would it be too much for me to expect that to be somehow integrated into the story (I mean, how many guys here wouldn't take advantage of that situtation?

Like this?
Spoiler:
__________________
Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-15, 02:26   Link #2205
cicero
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
As always, no way I can keep up with this thread.

Spoiler for Wandering Shadow Part 2:


I took a lot more liberties with the text this time. A lot of conversation in this one, so a lot more to change. I also tried my hand at changing the tone of various people talking and Kyon-ko's inner dialogue (Linguistics class finally pays off...) At best, it should subconsciously make sakanaka sound more male and Kyon-ko more female...at worst, it's unnoticeable.

Luckily, none of the new minor characters here have their personal names used, so I haven't had to decide on anything...do they get revealed in vol. 8 at some point? And if so, any opinions on gendermorphed names?

Rosseau is indeed an interesting name for a dog...considering that Rosseau the philosopher was male and the dog is female now...Anyone know of any good female philosophers that could cover for this?
cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-15, 02:36   Link #2206
Aaron008R
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philippines
1st part.
2nd part.
3ed part.

Spoiler for Day of Sagittarius: Genderbent: Part 4:


Sorry I was out for quite a bit. Got hit with sickness and extreme stress.

Anyway, awesome work on the edit job Jintor. Though I'm also not too sure about the part of who's who in to commander and first officer part as well...


@Tk: Welcome back! About time!
__________________

OC Profiles
Yagami Hayate: ver. GenerationS; Part 1, Part 2

Last edited by Aaron008R; 2008-03-15 at 03:19.
Aaron008R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-15, 02:46   Link #2207
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: In the XV-8A Spartan "00"
Age: 28
It took a better part of the day, but I've finally read up to speed. It's quite a challenge and loved every second of it.

*picks teeth of Cheese*



I wanted to post comments, but too bad it's either random (several pics) or does nothing to contribute to topic (I voted Minoru), or is ret-conned later (Kyon VS Mitsuru in t3h blackmail victim, and countless other times), so I didn't get to treat the GB Thread to the Cadia Special.

Ah well, tomorrow's another day of crack to tackle, if I got something good to say other than WIN and WINRAR.

Nevertheless, The Normandy of Haruki Suzumiya has begun... :3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tk3997 View Post
Hey, hey don't just go so casually including all of us in that GAR nonsense, and apparently not content with just one thread you lot are now determined to spread the poison around?
Tee-Kay! You're alive! WE MISSED YOU SOOO MUCH!!!

*hugs Tk emotionally while he squirms uncomfortably*

:3

And that's of course; good times must be shared, in the name of the Emperor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_RockmanX View Post
We've been doing pretty good at avoiding their madness though.

This thread is growing on its own merits.

And I salute your good work! Though I believe the days of sanity don't really last past the 10,000th page. Trust me, we were sane, once. :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riker View Post
Like this?
Spoiler:
I wonder when you guys catch up to the last episode of Melancholy, what's gonna happen here...
__________________
Kha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-15, 02:50   Link #2208
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Socal
Age: 24
Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via Skype™ to DJ_RockmanX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha View Post
And I salute your good work! Though I believe the days of sanity don't really last past the 10,000th page. Trust me, we were sane, once. :3
I'll do my best to keep this beast as a domesticated pet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha View Post
I wonder when you guys catch up to the last episode of Melancholy, what's gonna happen here...
Kaisos and I have a few ideas.
__________________

DJ_RockmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-15, 02:57   Link #2209
JediNight
キズランダム
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
So is it really decided upon to have the SOS-dan in this version aim for "manliness"? I forget, what is the SOS-dan line say in the original? That just seems like it wouldn't work IMHO. Seeing that Itsuko and Kyonko would be in the club.

I would vote more for something like guts/passion or something if it has to be something related to that.
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-15, 02:58   Link #2210
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Socal
Age: 24
Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via Skype™ to DJ_RockmanX
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight View Post
So is it really decided upon to have the SOS-dan in this version aim for "manliness"? I forget, what is the SOS-dan line say in the original? That just seems like it wouldn't work IMHO. Seeing that Itsuko and Kyonko would be in the club.

I would vote more for something like guts/passion or something if it has to be something related to that.
It's still tweakable...

The purpose in the original was pretty vague too. To befriend aliens, time travelers, espers, and other such weirdos. And stuff tangentially related to that.
__________________

DJ_RockmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-15, 03:03   Link #2211
JediNight
キズランダム
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Yeah, manliness just seems like a bad thing to use, because the club is supposed to be rather nebulous in what it actually does. (Which is basically a lot of effort into doing nothing constructive lol) And using any goals that were specifically tied to gender I think would be a bad idea to use. (Ironic, considering the nature of the project hehe)
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-15, 03:06   Link #2212
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Socal
Age: 24
Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via Skype™ to DJ_RockmanX
Well I guess guts and passion IS a lot more applicable to Kyon-chan and Itsuko than manliness.

That whole manliness thing was more of the excuse Haruki uses to kidnap Mitsuru and attempt to impart the traits of GAR to one he deems as "weak".

He will fail at this miserably time and time again though.
__________________

DJ_RockmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-15, 03:11   Link #2213
Puffendahl
Että koko kokkoko?
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: GMT+3 hours.
I actually like the whole manliness-thing, whether it works or not.
For some reason, it makes me go somewhat "LOL!!!111!" whenever I really think about it (well, not that extent, of course. Just making a point here ).

Maybe have Kyonko and Itsuko be in the brigade because Haruki wants some test-subjects to know how Mitsuuru's "increased manliness" will work with the general public?
Okay, maybe not...

I suppose it can't be helped. But I still think it's funny.
Puffendahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-15, 03:11   Link #2214
dkellis
illusion control
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Age: 32
Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Archive post updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
This was the first part written by someone before me. I hope I didn't butcher dkellis's stuff too much....
Minor note, to everyone who's editing as well: I'm used to using "sempai" (even though I've been trying to use "senpai", for the past few years), so you may need to search-and-replace all instances of "sempai" to "senpai". Habit is a hard thing to break.

As for the actual writing, well done. Added a lot more internal commentary, which fit very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
What I do is rewrite the novels, and what dkellis does is write directly from memory.

I think having him write some of the more difficult parts in advance so I can use them when I get there is working well so far.
That's pretty much correct: I read the B-T translations, fix them in my head, and then write my own version while using the original Japanese novels for reference in case I forget. (Which is why I'm irritated that I can't find anything other than volumes 1, 4, and 9. What the hell, Kinokuniya.)

The more difficult parts really are more difficult, and I've been jiggling my brain trying to figure out a way to make the events believable with Kyonko as a girl and Haruki as a guy. It's pretty amazing how many gender assumptions we (as a species subset of "urbanized humans") take for granted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
The main issue is, we can make Haruki appear to be queen gay (happy affectionate disposition while molesting), or macho gay (His raw power is overwhelming!).
I should mention for full disclosure that when I wrote (or rather, carefully did not write) the crotch-grabbing scene, my intent was to show that Haruki doesn't care that he may be seen as gay, and using present societal shorthand, he may well be bisexual.

It's like calling Tomoyo from Card Captor Sakura "lesbian" because she's attracted to Sakura; it's technically correct, but it's not the whole story, skipping over a lot of subtleties. In Haruki's case, it's more that Here is something he wants to prove, and This is a way to prove it, and even if This is seen to be "gay", he doesn't care. He's a very direct thinker: where the rest of us would hesitate to do something because of all sorts of factors, like whether it looks gay or whether it's humiliating or whether it's even possible, Haruki is unburdened by such doubts.

This, incidentally, is also how I rationalized (read: fanwanked) Haruhi's boob-grabbing in the canon. It may well be completely incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
POLL: Ryou or Ryouta?
"Ryou", for convenience, since we're using it anyway.

Also, once again, it's easy to change names after the fact: search-and-replace is a great help.

(I think I'm now incapable of operating at full efficiency when writing on paper, since I keep reaching for CTRL+F (and CTRL+S) every time.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintor View Post
While I'm here, I should probably note that I think that specific references can work, but only if they're well integrated and aren't just ridiculously gratitous. I threw in a few Star Trek references in my last editjob because, well, I thought they fitted. And nobody's bothered to complain yet.
I see Star Trek as something that has penetrated into general Japanese pop culture significantly enough to be referenced by Kyon(ko), so I have no real objections to it.

Mostly what I'm cautioning against is that if we're going to have Kyonko or Haruki (or anyone else) referencing something, it had better be plausible. For example, one reason I don't like the "Leeroy Jenkins" battlecry being inserted into the project is because if Haruki's going to make a reference to a MMORPG, it's likely to be a Japanese reference, and probably not WoW, but FFXI. (See: Naito, Gimp PLD.)

-

To address the points raised while I was previewing this post:

I see the Genderswap SOS Brigade to have the goals of meeting aliens/time-travellers/ESPers yadda yadda, but More So, in that it is to spread excitement all over the world through its members.

It's the difference between "Oh wow, aliens do exist, that's so cool!" and "Oh wow, aliens do exist! Hey, Mr. Alien, get over here! You have to meet these people, it's awesome! No, you're not allowed to say no, you have to come! Over here, right now!"

I'm blanking on the proper term for this, but it's kind of like the original SOS Brigade, plus GUTS. Canon Haruhi's passion, turned up to eleven.
__________________
Damien Kellis (LJ)(anime blog)
The Genderswap Archive Of Haruhi Suzumiya
The Seitenkan FAQ of Haruhi Suzumiya
"That was actually quite thought-provoking. Does that violate the forum rules?"
dkellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-15, 03:12   Link #2215
Tk3997
Loveable Jerk
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Age: 28
Send a message via ICQ to Tk3997 Send a message via AIM to Tk3997 Send a message via MSN to Tk3997
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_RockmanX View Post
I'll do my best to keep this beast as a domesticated pet.
A noble, but ultimately likely futile effort if the thread truly dose take off it will rapidly accelerate beyond anyone’s ability to effectively predicate or control. A sort of crack fueled "Fan-fic singularity” if you will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha View Post
It took a better part of the day, but I've finally read up to speed. It's quite a challenge and loved every second of it.

*picks teeth of Cheese*



I wanted to post comments, but too bad it's either random (several pics) or does nothing to contribute to topic (I voted Minoru), or is ret-conned later (Kyon VS Mitsuru in t3h blackmail victim, and countless other times), so I didn't get to treat the GB Thread to the Cadia Special.
I'm surprised it's not like a lack of useful content has ever stopped you spamming giant red lettered explanations of awesomeness and images before...

Quote:
:3Tee-Kay! You're alive! WE MISSED YOU SOOO MUCH!!!

*hugs Tk emotionally while he squirms uncomfortably*

:3
*bonks Kha on the skull with a pistol butt sending him sprawling to the ground in a heap with a band aid on his head* Oi, I don't swing that way buddy.

Quote:
And that's of course; good times must be shared, in the name of the Emperor!
Of course...

Quote:
And I salute your good work! Though I believe the days of sanity don't really last past the 10,000th page. Trust me, we were sane, once. :3
That's highly debatable; at least in your case.

Quote:
I wonder when you guys catch up to the last episode of Melancholy, what's gonna happen here...
Same thing that happened when we ran out of Strikers... Make crap up and wait for the next Season.
Tk3997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-15, 03:17   Link #2216
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Socal
Age: 24
Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via Skype™ to DJ_RockmanX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tk3997 View Post
A noble, but ultimately likely futile effort if the thread truly dose take off it will rapidly accelerate beyond anyone’s ability to effectively predicate or control. A sort of crack fueled "Fan-fic singularity” if you will.
That doesn't mean I can't try. >=D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tk3997 View Post
*snip*
I thought you were the one warning me about saying no to drugs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkellis View Post
To address the points raised while I was previewing this post:

I see the Genderswap SOS Brigade to have the goals of meeting aliens/time-travellers/ESPers yadda yadda, but More So, in that it is to spread excitement all over the world through its members.

It's the difference between "Oh wow, aliens do exist, that's so cool!" and "Oh wow, aliens do exist! Hey, Mr. Alien, get over here! You have to meet these people, it's awesome! No, you're not allowed to say no, you have to come! Over here, right now!"

I'm blanking on the proper term for this, but it's kind of like the original SOS Brigade, plus GUTS. Canon Haruhi's passion, turned up to eleven.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffendahl View Post
I actually like the whole manliness-thing, whether it works or not.
For some reason, it makes me go somewhat "LOL!!!111!" whenever I really think about it (well, not that extent, of course. Just making a point here ).

Maybe have Kyonko and Itsuko be in the brigade because Haruki wants some test-subjects to know how Mitsuuru's "increased manliness" will work with the general public?
Okay, maybe not...

I suppose it can't be helped. But I still think it's funny.
I think I've got something. The speech Haruki makes to Kyon-chan and the others about the purpose of the brigade will be a legendary rant about the spread of hot blooded guts and passion. Kyon-chan will ask how this applies to her, just as Kyon complained in the original universe. And Haruki will go on to say how such traits should transcend gender and epic stuff like that.

Can we go places with this?
__________________

DJ_RockmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-15, 03:28   Link #2217
Puffendahl
Että koko kokkoko?
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: GMT+3 hours.
I have no objection. There's no way for that scene not to be entertaining, whether or not Haruki has their goal to be quite simply overloading the world with manliness

In other words, works for me. It'll be fun either way.
Puffendahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-15, 03:31   Link #2218
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: In the XV-8A Spartan "00"
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_RockmanX View Post
I'll do my best to keep this beast as a domesticated pet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_RockmanX View Post
I thought you were the one warning me about saying no to drugs?
RESISTANCE IS FUTILE

Er... No that wasn't me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_RockmanX View Post
Kaisos and I have a few ideas.
Konata says:

We look forward to your great work! :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tk3997 View Post
A noble, but ultimately likely futile effort if the thread truly dose take off it will rapidly accelerate beyond anyone’s ability to effectively predicate or control. A sort of crack fueled "Fan-fic singularity” if you will.
The Power of OC Compels You
The Power of OC Compels You
The Power of OC Compels You
The Power of OC Compels You
The Power of OC Compels You
The Power of OC Compels You


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tk3997 View Post
I'm surprised it's not like a lack of useful content has ever stopped you spamming giant red letters and images before...
Then when somebody quote my post they'd see something like:
Spoiler for A piece of Kha's original post:
...but this might scar the GB Thread's denizens permanently. ...

*notices the thread shivering. Even Kyonko looks worse for wear.*

...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tk3997 View Post
*bonks Kha on the skull with a pistol butt sending him sprawling to the ground in a heap with a band aid on his head*

Oi, I don't swing that way buddy.
It...tai...

I-I was just happy to see you, Sir!!!


(At least you didn't give me a 1000-hit Tomoyo combo... )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tk3997 View Post
That's highly debatable; at least in your case.
Well er ahem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tk3997 View Post
Same thing that happened when we ran out of Strikers... Make crap up and wait for the next Season.
__________________
Kha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-15, 03:34   Link #2219
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Socal
Age: 24
Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via Skype™ to DJ_RockmanX
@Kha: Please control yourself. <.<;;

Image time.

This idea is still bad, and still lulz:



She smiles:



FIND THE PERSON BEHIND THIS ONE NOW:

__________________

DJ_RockmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-15, 03:34   Link #2220
JediNight
キズランダム
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Sounds better Rockman.
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
genderbender, seitenkan

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:13.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.