AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2004-03-27, 19:57   Link #81
nh1
KAWAIII-III!!!! >^_^ >
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Magical land! (Magica-ru land!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raikage
Shikamaru's geinus-ness isn't book oriented, but rather in tactics. He has a good sense of how people will react, can judge strengths and weaknesses, and can formulate battle plans
I can agree with that, because it's mainly what I said about reasoning and such..
Quote:
of which none really have to do with geometry, chemistry, lingustics, etc.
but I can't agree with this... They said his IQ was 200, not that he's just a good strategist... Now, a person with 200 IQ would be very good at reasoning and thinking far ahead, just like Shikamaru does in his fights.. This, however goes for mathematic questions too... In order to solve a mathematic question (without formulaes or explanations) it is required that you grasp the answer, and then decide which factors do what.. This should be easier with high IQ..

About the physics.. I stated earlier that I'm a bit uncertain about that one, because he'd have to know some facts.. Like, he doesn't need to know that there is gravity, however, he'd have to know how strong the gravity is (for the shuriken question)...
__________________
nh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-27, 20:11   Link #82
Sethi
StormRider
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Portugal
Quote:
Originally Posted by raikage
The question(s) Sakura answered - she said that the question involved both a high level of book smarts AND experience, which almost no one at the Genin level had. If you haven't studied physics, you can't piece together what's going on no matter what your IQ is.
I think that pretty much says everything no? it doesn't matter if your IQ is 500 if you never heard of it how are you going to resolve it? And it is said by Ibiki that those questions are Chunnin Level, Sakura was only able to answer them because she is a book nerd, now Shika is a lazy ass with the hobby of looking at clouds do you guys really think he studies anything?

EDIT: nh1 i wasn't answering you i was giving my opinion, if i was answering you, you would notice because i would quote you
__________________
-------- Child's Of The Street Ride With Death Wish ---------

----------------- Your Wings Are Weeping -----------------
Sethi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-27, 20:13   Link #83
nh1
KAWAIII-III!!!! >^_^ >
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Magical land! (Magica-ru land!)
... read... posts...
__________________
nh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-28, 00:51   Link #84
Kamui4356
Aria Company
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethi
now Shika is a lazy ass with the hobby of looking at clouds do you guys really think he studies anything?
The thing about being a genius is you don't have to study as much. One tends to grasp concepts more easily than a normal person would. As such, a genius will often have poor study habits, which is obviously true in Shikamaru's case.
__________________
Kamui4356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-28, 03:03   Link #85
fenikkusu
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 810
Age: 31
Send a message via AIM to fenikkusu
shikamaru had a normal I Q test from his teacher... his teacher disquesed it as a game , but it was a real I Q test.. and shikamaru came out with 200 ... do u know how good 200 really is .. that is increidably high IQ score, and i bleieve the his instructor said it was over 200. the answers to Shikamaru would of most likely been incredably easy... but i'm positive that hinata did infact cheat... she wasnt in the 1st row ..but even if she did her byukugan does a 360 degrees. so she coulda red it from about anywhere... she wouldnt have to turn her eyes on and off she coulda left them on and copied from sum1 the hole time. Also to hide it more acuratly she could of tilted her head down a bit .. let her hair hang in her eyes to hide it more. and even if they did see her cheat that is only 1 point. i'm sure that she did cheat ... and i know they didnt show it but ... i dont think she would of been able to answer the questions.. she doenst study ..she fallows naruto around all day .. watching him from behind buildings and trees
fenikkusu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-28, 05:50   Link #86
Jaz
omgwtf?!
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: below sea level
Age: 29
Send a message via MSN to Jaz
Are we talking about Shikamaru now? Troublesome...

Quote:
but i'm positive that hinata did infact cheat
Indeed, thnx.

Quote:
Hey! What're you trying to pull? "Most likely" ?? She could have done either, but I don't think she has the personality to cheat... How do you think she would be if she got caught 5 times and be responsible for Kiba and Shino failing? Her eyes would pop out due to the massive amount of tears she'd cry...
Ik said 'most likely' because there's no proof that she did, like lot of people whined about. (Not you of course.. nh1 )

edit: double quote went wrong
Jaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-28, 15:05   Link #87
aquamist
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
I think Hinata cheated, cuz it was never said anywhere in the manga that Hinata is smart. It seems unlikely, given her personality, that she cheated, but under such conditions (like determining if your entire team fails) I think she would have given in and cheated.
aquamist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-28, 16:49   Link #88
OhJustSomeRandomGuy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Totally in Japan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethi
I think that pretty much says everything no? it doesn't matter if your IQ is 500 if you never heard of it how are you going to resolve it? And it is said by Ibiki that those questions are Chunnin Level, Sakura was only able to answer them because she is a book nerd, now Shika is a lazy ass with the hobby of looking at clouds do you guys really think he studies anything?

EDIT: nh1 i wasn't answering you i was giving my opinion, if i was answering you, you would notice because i would quote you
IQ is a measure of general intelligence. It tests for logic that applies to those areas.

As nh1 said, he would have had all the basics covered in the material during class. Not to compare, but in high school, and in college, I never used/bought my books. Everything you were tested on was covered in lecture...the books are only necessary to help people who don't get it the first time around.

But Shika would have probably had all the info he needed. I hadn't studied Physics, I knew that gravity accelerates an object at 9.8m/sec^2 since I was like 10. I knew what pi was to 10 digits.

Plus, you're also forgetting an important part of Shika's life. His mom. She gets on his ass all the time. He'd have to prove that he was just intelligent enough to get her off his case. That would involve SOME study.
OhJustSomeRandomGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-28, 16:55   Link #89
Muad'Dib
The Burninator
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Arrakis
The IQ (Intelligence Quotient) score is not based solely upon an innate "genius" factor. It is a combination of reasoning, logic, and knowledge. In order for Shikamaru to have an IQ of over 200, (a ridiculous number, this would put him on the order of the world's greatest minds--smarter than Einstein, Newton, Mozart) he would have to have great tactics, logic, and reasoning, and also a broad knowledge base greater than perhaps everyone in the Fire Country, and perhaps all of the other countries.

Hinata obviously "cheated." She would have no moral qualms because in the case of this test, actual cheating had the prerequisite of being caught. As long as Hinata was not caught attaining the answers to the test, she was behaving as a "proud shinobi" ought to.

They didn't show her cheating because A) they had already shown Neji cheating, and B) it would be ridiculous to show every single genin in the room showing off his/her skills when there'd be plenty of time for that in the second part of the examination.
Muad'Dib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-28, 17:13   Link #90
7thMethuselah
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Antwerp area, Belgium, Europa
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muad'Dib
Hinata obviously "cheated." She would have no moral qualms because in the case of this test, actual cheating had the prerequisite of being caught. As long as Hinata was not caught attaining the answers to the test, she was behaving as a "proud shinobi" ought to.
.
Considering she is Hyuuga clan can't we just assumed she used her Byukagan eyes just as Neeji did?
__________________

7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-28, 17:26   Link #91
Hisoka44
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Age: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhJustSomeRandomGuy
As nh1 said, he would have had all the basics covered in the material during class. Not to compare, but in high school, and in college, I never used/bought my books. Everything you were tested on was covered in lecture...the books are only necessary to help people who don't get it the first time around.
what kind of college or university did you go to and where? and what did you study? to understand advanced math and advanced physics is very hard without reading examples and other stuff in books and then practice.. but maybe you didn't study anything remotly hard.

or maybe you are just extremly smart that understand everything the first time just read it then ace the test.. not likely but absolutly not impossible.
Hisoka44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-28, 17:27   Link #92
Sethi
StormRider
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Portugal
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhJustSomeRandomGuy
IQ is a measure of general intelligence. It tests for logic that applies to those areas.

As nh1 said, he would have had all the basics covered in the material during class. Not to compare, but in high school, and in college, I never used/bought my books. Everything you were tested on was covered in lecture...the books are only necessary to help people who don't get it the first time around.

But Shika would have probably had all the info he needed. I hadn't studied Physics, I knew that gravity accelerates an object at 9.8m/sec^2 since I was like 10. I knew what pi was to 10 digits.
The question is what if he didn't had all the info, all those questions were Chunnin level, which means that probably all the info about how to resolve them was in books that no genin read because they didn't need to, only those that study real hard read them, like i said Shika is a lazy bum so i don't think he read anything like that at all.
By the way you say that you know the speed gravity accelerates an object since you were 10 years? that's really rare, most 10 year old i know i ask them "what's the speed of gravity" and they answer "What's gravity?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhJustSomeRandomGuy
Plus, you're also forgetting an important part of Shika's life. His mom. She gets on his ass all the time. He'd have to prove that he was just intelligent enough to get her off his case. That would involve SOME study.
Well according to Kurenai, Shika had pretty much the same grades as Naruto so i don't think that classifies as intelligent enough , the guy is the total extreme of lazyness do you really think he would even lift the pencil to answer anything in the chunnin exam? he most likely laid back and waited for Ino to enter his body and put all the answers down
__________________
-------- Child's Of The Street Ride With Death Wish ---------

----------------- Your Wings Are Weeping -----------------
Sethi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-28, 17:37   Link #93
Muad'Dib
The Burninator
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Arrakis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thMethuselah
Considering she is Hyuuga clan can't we just assumed she used her Byukagan eyes just as Neeji did?
Um, well, that was sort of part of the point of my post.
Muad'Dib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-28, 22:21   Link #94
uzmynem
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: holland MI and geneve Suisse
Age: 29
Send a message via MSN to uzmynem Send a message via Yahoo to uzmynem
Oh yeh just wondering I dont know if anyone else had this posted but how did kankuro pass the test, the head of the exam knew he was using a puppet
uzmynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-28, 23:06   Link #95
raikage
日本語を食べません!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: San Francisco
Age: 32
Doesn't matter. Answers are answers. The objective is NOT to not be caught, but rather to be caught a limited number of times.

Thsi particular IQ test Asuma gave Shikamaru was NOT a knowledge test. It was (from what we can see) a test to see how quickly Shikamaru can identify patterns and (possibly) predict ahead, not to see how well he can spell or how many electrons are in the first shell, how astrophysicists prove the Big Bang theory, how much French he can speak, etc. etc. etc.

If he doesn't know that gravity accelerates an object at ~10 m/sē, or that the speed of light is 300,000 km/s, how's he going to figure it out during the test?
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-29, 00:29   Link #96
fenikkusu
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 810
Age: 31
Send a message via AIM to fenikkusu
Quote:
Originally Posted by uzmynem
Oh yeh just wondering I dont know if anyone else had this posted but how did kankuro pass the test, the head of the exam knew he was using a puppet
they could not get caught cheating more then 3 times.. using the puppet would only be being caught once. And the head examiner knew how pretty much everybody cheated. the test was as stated ... to see how eveybody's spying ability is ... how theree information gathering skills are with out being caught, thats what the test was... they showed the head examiner watching every1 cheat. its just if u where not good at cheating then u wher basically disqualified
fenikkusu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-29, 03:19   Link #97
OhJustSomeRandomGuy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Totally in Japan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisoka44
what kind of college or university did you go to and where? and what did you study? to understand advanced math and advanced physics is very hard without reading examples and other stuff in books and then practice.. but maybe you didn't study anything remotly hard.

or maybe you are just extremly smart that understand everything the first time just read it then ace the test.. not likely but absolutly not impossible.
UC Irvine...Computer Science graduate. I think that counts as "something remotely hard" seeing as how we had Biology people coming over to our major because, "they wanted something challenging."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethi
The question is what if he didn't had all the info, all those questions were Chunnin level, which means that probably all the info about how to resolve them was in books that no genin read because they didn't need to, only those that study real hard read them, like i said Shika is a lazy bum so i don't think he read anything like that at all.

By the way you say that you know the speed gravity accelerates an object since you were 10 years? that's really rare, most 10 year old i know i ask them "what's the speed of gravity" and they answer "What's gravity?"
Put those two things together and you have your answer right there. Sakura assumes the test questions are Chuunin level because she knows the people she is in class with and how well they test...she knows their knowledge level, and doesn't know any of them that she thinks will have those answers.

However, you have people like me...people who have an exceptional memory, or people who latch onto knowledge very rapidly when it's presented to them in a particular format. I'd assume Shika falls into the same category of child...an exceptionally fast learner, who just can't bother to pay attention when he's heard the material already.
OhJustSomeRandomGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-29, 08:16   Link #98
Sethi
StormRider
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Portugal
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhJustSomeRandomGuy
Put those two things together and you have your answer right there. Sakura assumes the test questions are Chuunin level because she knows the people she is in class with and how well they test...she knows their knowledge level, and doesn't know any of them that she thinks will have those answers.
Sakura doesn't assume that, she assumes that no one in there except her and a few people would be able to answer the questions, the one who says the questions are Chunnin level is Ibiki himself so if the examiner that made the test says it, must be true no?

Quote:
However, you have people like me...people who have an exceptional memory, or people who latch onto knowledge very rapidly when it's presented to them in a particular format. I'd assume Shika falls into the same category of child...an exceptionally fast learner, who just can't bother to pay attention when he's heard the material already.
That i agree Shika must learn very fast and since he has 200 IQ he must probably also have photo memory, however the problem is that Shika most probably didn't ever saw that type of questions or have that type of knowledge, because like i said since they are Chunnin they didn't even began to talk about in academy, and given Shika character i really don't think he would read any book like that at all.
__________________
-------- Child's Of The Street Ride With Death Wish ---------

----------------- Your Wings Are Weeping -----------------
Sethi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-30, 02:21   Link #99
h3lldiver
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: sydney
Send a message via ICQ to h3lldiver Send a message via MSN to h3lldiver
hahahah cant imagine if there are nobody who is smart enough to answer the question but all of them good at cheating, maybe all of them would have walk out
h3lldiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-30, 10:15   Link #100
Muad'Dib
The Burninator
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Arrakis
If the only 'IQ' test that Asuma gave Shikamaru dealt with recognizing patterns (i.e. that game they were playing) then the results are not accurate whatsoever. Speaking as someone who has actually taken a real IQ test (not the kind on emode,) it is much more involved. Knowledge is a factor.

The questions on the Chuunin exam were basically high school level math/science related questions. They didn't seem terribly hard for me when I read them. You have to realize that over 200 is a ridiculous number. If that were truly Shikamaru's IQ, there is a good chance he is the smartest character on whatever world the Naruto manga/anime takes place. His intelligence would be the kind that rivals the geniuses of the ages. He would be operating at a higher level of reasoning and knowledge than -anyone- else. If he actually wanted to get a perfect on the test, (assuming his IQ is really what Asuma said it was) he would have no problem.

After all, it is just a test one level higher than genin that even -that- Sakura got the answers to.
Muad'Dib is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:30.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.