AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-09-24, 01:26   Link #1
ashesatdusk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: La La Land
Send a message via AIM to ashesatdusk
One Piece Funimation Dubbed discussion

Anyone else see the dub premiere at AWA this sunday? They showed the first three edits of the TV dub. I'm not a big fan of dubbed anime, but I thought the quality of Dub voice acting improved. The TV edits are as minor as possible... but they didn't change the names back to normal for the TV Dub, but did with the uncut dub. (Ace is still Trace, and Zoro is Zolo for the english version, but the uncut english version uses zoro and ace). The TV edit as far as animation, is edited for a toonami slot, but basically the edits are as minor as possible.

I went, and hung around for the impromptu Q&A with Mike Mcfarland who I think is directing this since the event went over. Most of the stuff has been anounced at other places. I think what was rather interesting is the voice cast had to be approved by Toei and Oda. any one else have any thoughts.
__________________
Sig never posted, because the mods would remove it for exceeding the size limit.
ashesatdusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-24, 02:55   Link #2
xris
Just call me Ojisan
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: U.K. Hampshire
Was there any mention of the DVD releases, like when and with what episode the DVD release will start with? What about the TV, are they going to continue from where 4Kids left off or will they start at ep 1?
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-24, 09:17   Link #3
Takeo
Jetsetter
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by xris View Post
Was there any mention of the DVD releases, like when and with what episode the DVD release will start with? What about the TV, are they going to continue from where 4Kids left off or will they start at ep 1?
They're starting where 4kids left off - the start of Jaya/Skypiea. They did mention, however, that if there were time and enough of a demand, that they could possibly go back and re-dub the beginning after Viz/4kids' rights to eps. 1-143 expire

As for DVDS, from Funimation One Piece FAQ

#5: What about DVD releases? Will they be the TV version, or uncut?
Answer: Uncut DVD's are on the way. By uncut, they mean completely unedited or altered. All of the original content that Toei Animation created for the show will be available in its true form on DVD's. Funi DVD's will be released to the public in 13-episode volumes for $49.99, starting at Japanese episode 144, and will be released in a time period ranging from November of this year to February 2008.
__________________
Takeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-24, 14:08   Link #4
ashesatdusk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: La La Land
Send a message via AIM to ashesatdusk
Quote:
They're starting where 4kids left off - the start of Jaya/Skypiea. They did mention, however, that if there were time and enough of a demand, that they could possibly go back and re-dub the beginning after Viz/4kids' rights to eps. 1-143 expire
Right on, they showed the first three of the redub beginning at 144. They also said directly that essentially the decision to redub or not rests in pretty much dvd sales of the redub.

Quote:
What about the TV, are they going to continue from where 4Kids left off or will they start at ep 1?
Cartoon Network is set to premiere the Funimation dub some time next week, which starts at 144, though the represntitive didn't know the time slot. The date I believe september 29th.

Quote:
Was there any mention of the DVD releases, like when
From what Mcfarland said it seems closer to 2008 than 2007. Though they have the first 26 episodes pretty much completly dubbed. From the most part it seems everything is as promised. Unedited Animation, the unedited version restores the names, ect.

There are somethings for anyone who wants to nit pick that are retained from 4kidz practices and mainly translations where there is gray area as to how an object can be translated. Devils Fruits are translated as cursed fruits in the sub, and Log Pose is often translated as grand compass, though if log pose appears in a title its translated as log pose. Funimation has also taken a general idea that a dub is a complete dub, so the songs have been redone in english. However, there english versions songs, with as close as possible translation to the original songs. From whats indicated... basically the DVD has an interchangeable language track, so when one is listening to the subs, the songs will revert to the japanese singer.
__________________
Sig never posted, because the mods would remove it for exceeding the size limit.
ashesatdusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-07, 05:25   Link #5
Nuzzles
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
General consensus on the Funimation dub?

I've just been watching some clips on youtube (Clips) and I've gotta say it's not too bad. I probably wouldn't mind watching it on the tele, just don't know when/if it'll come over here.

Personally, it did exceed my expectations and my favourite dubbed voice is definitely Buggy's. Fits so well.
Nuzzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-07, 10:05   Link #6
MihawkXGP
Master of The Sword
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
I've not seen it to be honest. Although i've seen a clip of Ace when he's on Buggy's ship. Can't say i liked his voice too much. It doesn't fit him at all Other voices are good though...
MihawkXGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-27, 22:56   Link #7
AdventSleeper
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
ive only watched an ep of it..... like when they are about to go to skypeia i think or something, the voices are alright but i dont like choppers, sounds too.. kiddy.
AdventSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-29, 16:58   Link #8
yaluckyboy
NaruHina Maniac
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Konoha
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmIaNeRd View Post
ive only watched an ep of it..... like when they are about to go to skypeia i think or something, the voices are alright but i dont like choppers, sounds too.. kiddy.
you still have to admit that he mostly sounded like that in the original too

i personally watched all of the released episodes so far on veoh.com and i love the new voices (i noticed that there were alot of voice actors from DragonBall Z/GT, one of Oda's favorite anime)
__________________
---------------------------------------------------------------------
(\_/) Copy this bunny to your sigature
(Oo) to help him acheive world domination!
( W)
---------------------------------------------------------------------
yaluckyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-30, 00:05   Link #9
AdventSleeper
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaluckyboy View Post
i personally watched all of the released episodes so far on veoh.com and i love the new voices (i noticed that there were alot of voice actors from DragonBall Z/GT, one of Oda's favorite anime)
yeah.. i heard that ussops is krillins i think, dont know about the rest though
AdventSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-30, 09:59   Link #10
yaluckyboy
NaruHina Maniac
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Konoha
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmIaNeRd View Post
yeah.. i heard that ussops is krillins i think, dont know about the rest though
yup ussop is krillin, luffy is kid goku, zoro is a calm yamcha and nami is young bulma
__________________
---------------------------------------------------------------------
(\_/) Copy this bunny to your sigature
(Oo) to help him acheive world domination!
( W)
---------------------------------------------------------------------
yaluckyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-10, 18:16   Link #11
Blackbeard D. Kuma
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaluckyboy View Post
yup ussop is krillin, luffy is kid goku, zoro is a calm yamcha and nami is young bulma
Actually the voice actress of kid goku does not do Luffy's voice. And I sure am glad that this is the case. I do not like kid goku's english voice. He sounds like he always has a soar throat. If I am correct, I am also quite sure that Nami's voice actress is different than Young Bulma's.

So far, I am loving Funimation's One Piece dub. I haven't had a problem with any of the voices. As a matter of fact, quite a few of them even surpass their japanese counterparts for me. For example, so far I find the voices of Mihawk, Donflamingo, Sengoku the Buddha, Whitebeard, and Bellamy to all be superior to the original japanese ones. These voice actors really brought their characters to life and they sound like how they really would sound. I still need a bit more time to accustom myself to the strawhats voices, because I know the japanese ones so well, but they sure are putting on a wonderful performance. In time I may like some of them better than the japanese ones as well. I can't wait to see Water 7 in english!
__________________
A new age of piracy is at hand, and emperor Blackbeard is at the helm of it.
Blackbeard D. Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-21, 20:06   Link #12
Mr. DJ
Schwing!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Central Texas
Age: 30
I watched the movie that came out for the Alabasta arc remake...

I say, YAY! Nico Robin isn't a southern bell!

and from the sticker that was on the dvd "Watch for One Piece TV Series UNCUT on DVD May 2008"

Overall, I'm happy w/ the new voices though Luffy can be a bit iffy at times, his is still pretty good.

They still kept the whole "Gum-Gum" thing...I guess cause I'm still used to the "Gomo-Gomo" saying
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-20, 18:42   Link #13
Blackbeard D. Kuma
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Has anyone here bought the newly released Season 1 set of Funimation's One Piece? If anyone has, how is it so far? How are the voices for characters like Coby, Captain Kuro, and Jango?
__________________
A new age of piracy is at hand, and emperor Blackbeard is at the helm of it.
Blackbeard D. Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-21, 22:09   Link #14
I love waffles!
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjTrizz View Post
They still kept the whole "Gum-Gum" thing...I guess cause I'm still used to the "Gomo-Gomo" saying
"gomu gomu" is the Japaneses pronunciation of "gum gum".
I love waffles! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-22, 11:40   Link #15
Vegard Aune
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: In the middle of nowhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
Has anyone here bought the newly released Season 1 set of Funimation's One Piece? If anyone has, how is it so far? How are the voices for characters like Coby, Captain Kuro, and Jango?
Actually, it's not out yet. It'll come out in May.
Vegard Aune is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-22, 12:08   Link #16
Blackbeard D. Kuma
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegard Aune View Post
Actually, it's not out yet. It'll come out in May.
Oh, I see. I thought it was coming out in March for some reason because I saw an advertisement online with March the 18th, but I guess this was false. Thank you for the correction.
__________________
A new age of piracy is at hand, and emperor Blackbeard is at the helm of it.
Blackbeard D. Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-22, 12:39   Link #17
xris
Just call me Ojisan
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: U.K. Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
Oh, I see. I thought it was coming out in March for some reason because I saw an advertisement online with March the 18th, but I guess this was false. Thank you for the correction.
Release date appears to be 27th May.

One Piece: Season 1 - First Voyage $28.21 from DVDPacific.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-23, 11:15   Link #18
Blackbeard D. Kuma
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by xris View Post
Release date appears to be 27th May.

One Piece: Season 1 - First Voyage $28.21 from DVDPacific.
Thanks a lot for the info xris . I can't wait until these sets come out. Now that we have a good quality dub from Funimation, hopefully this series will attract a lot more attention from general anime fans so that they can give it a chance. One Piece is pretty much considered to be the successor to Dragon Ball Z in Japan; I hope Funimation can achieve the same popularity phenomenon in North America and Europe.
__________________
A new age of piracy is at hand, and emperor Blackbeard is at the helm of it.
Blackbeard D. Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-30, 23:44   Link #19
CrowKenobi
Moderator
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: there... just there.
I got my copy of One Piece: Season 1 - First Voyage from RightStuf today and I really enjoyed it! I give my props to Funi for staying true to the show with their dub... and the only real thing I can ding them for is putting too many episodes on one disc; during some of the action scenes, I could see lines and other stuff around the characters as they moved.

A great start to redeeming a great show!



I recommend this and hope that they use three discs for the second half of season one.
__________________



CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-01, 01:52   Link #20
Blackbeard D. Kuma
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
I got my copy of One Piece: Season 1 - First Voyage from RightStuf today and I really enjoyed it! I give my props to Funi for staying true to the show with their dub... and the only real thing I can ding them for is putting too many episodes on one disc; during some of the action scenes, I could see lines and other stuff around the characters as they moved.

A great start to redeeming a great show!



I recommend this and hope that they use three discs for the second half of season one.
This is great news to hear. Since you have this set already, do you mind telling me how the voices for Coby, Helmeppo, Morgan, and Kuro are? Thanks.
__________________
A new age of piracy is at hand, and emperor Blackbeard is at the helm of it.
Blackbeard D. Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:21.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.