AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-03-19, 16:25   Link #81
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 29
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
B-but I want my yuri endings
If you use Gameshark you can set male characters to be wed to male characters and likewise female characters to female characters. This however has some seriously odd effects in the second half such as Celes starting as a Red Enemy unit and the game hanging when he gets into a battle with someone.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-19, 16:47   Link #82
serenade_beta
マジ天使
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
B-but I want my yuri endings
(>_<)

How about Ilyana and Mia? If I remember correctly, Illyana ate Mia's shoes (tried to), after all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
If you use Gameshark you can set male characters to be wed to male characters and likewise female characters to female characters. This however has some seriously odd effects in the second half such as Celes starting as a Red Enemy unit and the game hanging when he gets into a battle with someone.
As fearsome as ever, those things are...



How is the voice acting in Radiant Dawn? I still remember Mist's voice from Path of Radiance... My ears...!
__________________

-Tried to start a blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-20, 11:09   Link #83
krisslanza
Sleep beneath the flowers
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lording above all of humanity >;3
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
If you use Gameshark you can set male characters to be wed to male characters and likewise female characters to female characters. This however has some seriously odd effects in the second half such as Celes starting as a Red Enemy unit and the game hanging when he gets into a battle with someone.
And that my friends is the danger in using a GameShark
I once ruined my Pokemon Red's saving by abusing MissingNo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta
(>_<)

How about Ilyana and Mia? If I remember correctly, Illyana ate Mia's shoes (tried to), after all...
Oh I have tons of yuri in RD... xP
IllyanaxMia... ElinciaxLucia... NepheneexHeather... To name a few.
And Illyana tries to eat anything
__________________
krisslanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-20, 13:53   Link #84
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 29
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
(>_<)

How about Ilyana and Mia? If I remember correctly, Illyana ate Mia's shoes (tried to), after all...



As fearsome as ever, those things are...



How is the voice acting in Radiant Dawn? I still remember Mist's voice from Path of Radiance... My ears...!
Atrociously bad. Nobody sounds like they look they should, there's no emotion at all in the acting and everybody is slurring their words. If I didn't no better I'd say it was a Japanese VA's speaking English job like Capcom is famous for. By far the worst is Zelgius though who sounds like he's got some sort of speach disorder with his slurring and his voice fluctuates between gravelly and soft sounding every other sentence. Rolf, Mia and Yune are also pretty bad with the former sounding like a girl, Mia saying her lines in a manner that is horribly out of context given the scene and Yune being a loli, but sounding like a 16 year old girl with throat cancer. Mist is arguably even worse now. Your typical mid 90's older woman trying to sound like a cutesy teenager. The only people that sound decent are Ike and Shinon.

In short it's a total phone in job of the worst kind, like nobody really cares and are just cold reading their lines from a piece of paper.

If you are really brave here is a compilation of all the english cutscenes along with a couple of their Japanese counterparts:

English:

Part 1 Part 2

Japanese:

Intro

Ike Mercenaries Return

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2008-03-20 at 14:04.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-20, 13:59   Link #85
serenade_beta
マジ天使
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
And Illyana tries to eat anything
Thinnest glutton I've ever encountered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Atrociously bad. Nobody sounds like they look they should, there's no emotion at all in the acting and everybody is slurring their words. If I didn't no better I'd say it was a Japanese VA's speaking English job like Capcom is famous for. By far the worst is Zelgius though who sounds like he's got some sort of speach disorder with his slurring and his voice flucuates between gravelling and soft sounding every other sentence. Rolf, Mia and Yune are also pretty bad with the former sounding like a girl, Mia saying her lines in a manner that is horribly out of context given the scene and Yune being a loli, but sounding like a 16 year old girl with throat cancer. Mist is arguably even worse now. Your typical mid 90's older woman trying to sound like a cutesy teenager. The only people that sound decent are Ike and Shinon.

In short it's a total phone in job of the worst kind, like nobody really cares and are just cold reading their lines from a piece of paper.
As I feared...
Truly cruel to the actual characters...

Thanks for the information.
__________________

-Tried to start a blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-20, 15:34   Link #86
TurinTurambar200
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Somewhere on the borders of introspection
Age: 26
Geneology of the Holy War feels a lot like a different creature compared to other FE games. Well, not as much as FE2 Gaiden, but that was the only game that had such incredibly long and huge chapters along with infinitely repairable items as well as multiple castles on a map (unless 1 and 3 had them too. I never played those two). What made me really like FE4 was probably the 2nd generation skills system. Its a great thing to try to mix and match and just have alot of fun with. I forget who was it that you pair with Lex (Axe Knight), but it resulted in a mage child with both Wrath and Ambush. The child didn't have have a good mag growth as a result but it was still fun playing around with various combinations. I think pairing your two swordmasters in the first generation gave you a son that had both Lunar Sword and Meteor Sword (Astra) as well, which is AWESOME.

All in all though, I still like FE10 better. Ike is a far better lord than Celice (better than Sigurd as well despite the fact that the latter is pretty awesome in his own right). The story line simply feels much better as well. Lastly, as awesome as the divine weapons were, they basically turned into pure and utter win buttons except for the final boss. I'm looking at you Holsety, you and your +20 spd. (I'm not saying they made the game too easy. Anyone that tried to recruit Hannibal knows that was one giant nightmare of a scenario). FE10 is really lacking in the Support Convo department though...

On the topic of Thracia 776, alot of it is really...weird. For example, iirc, Leaf is presented as 15 in the game, but for the game to take place at 776, Leaf could only be 13 (correct me if I'm mistaken). That and the fact that the stats all cap at 20 feels really weird to anyone playing the game right after FE4. (Again, Holsety with +20 spd)
TurinTurambar200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-20, 17:10   Link #87
ZXValaRevan
Optomist
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: BC, Canada
Send a message via MSN to ZXValaRevan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Atrociously bad. Nobody sounds like they look they should, there's no emotion at all in the acting and everybody is slurring their words. If I didn't no better I'd say it was a Japanese VA's speaking English job like Capcom is famous for. By far the worst is Zelgius though who sounds like he's got some sort of speach disorder with his slurring and his voice fluctuates between gravelly and soft sounding every other sentence. Rolf, Mia and Yune are also pretty bad with the former sounding like a girl, Mia saying her lines in a manner that is horribly out of context given the scene and Yune being a loli, but sounding like a 16 year old girl with throat cancer. Mist is arguably even worse now. Your typical mid 90's older woman trying to sound like a cutesy teenager. The only people that sound decent are Ike and Shinon.

In short it's a total phone in job of the worst kind, like nobody really cares and are just cold reading their lines from a piece of paper.

If you are really brave here is a compilation of all the english cutscenes along with a couple of their Japanese counterparts:

English:

Part 1 Part 2

Japanese:

Intro

Ike Mercenaries Return
Is that any surprise? They're English voice actors. In a video game. Sadly, that basically guarantees them to be awful.
__________________
I'm really quite a nice person!
ZXValaRevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-20, 18:19   Link #88
TurinTurambar200
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Somewhere on the borders of introspection
Age: 26
Well lets not go that far XD. I think Persona 3's VAs were pretty good (Ken Amada and Fuuka aside). Fire Emblem gives very few lines as well so its not exactly a big priority. The narrator was decent imo.
TurinTurambar200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-20, 20:46   Link #89
ZXValaRevan
Optomist
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: BC, Canada
Send a message via MSN to ZXValaRevan
True. I just wish that the producers would realize that they could just use Japanese VA's with English subs. I'd prefer it infinitely.
__________________
I'm really quite a nice person!
ZXValaRevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-21, 11:49   Link #90
Keruri
Like a falling star
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: A snowy town from 7 years ago....
Age: 22
These games don't get enough love. Fire Emblem is one of my favourite series of all time.

The characters are so wonderful and loveable! I agree with the fact that subtitles would work best, though.

Just a random question. I've been seeing a lot of pictures that involve Ike and meat. Is there something I've missed?
Keruri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-21, 18:15   Link #91
TurinTurambar200
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Somewhere on the borders of introspection
Age: 26
Ike loves to eat. Almost as much as Ilyana. Almost.

(there's a base convo at the beginning of Part 3 that talks about it, iirc)
TurinTurambar200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-21, 22:51   Link #92
Keruri
Like a falling star
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: A snowy town from 7 years ago....
Age: 22
Ah, I know. XD I was just wondering if there was any significance with the meat. I might have missed something in the game, or there's some sort of meme that I don't know of. *shrug*
Stupid question. Sorry~
Keruri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-22, 00:41   Link #93
ZXValaRevan
Optomist
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: BC, Canada
Send a message via MSN to ZXValaRevan
They were talking about how they "had to feed an army of laguz. And Ike"
Whereupon Titania states that "Ike is a beorc, he couldn't possibly eat as much as a laguz. No wait, maybe he could. Make that he definitely could, especially the ribs and steak."
__________________
I'm really quite a nice person!
ZXValaRevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-22, 19:38   Link #94
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurinTurambar200 View Post
On the topic of Thracia 776, alot of it is really...weird. For example, iirc, Leaf is presented as 15 in the game, but for the game to take place at 776, Leaf could only be 13 (correct me if I'm mistaken). That and the fact that the stats all cap at 20 feels really weird to anyone playing the game right after FE4. (Again, Holsety with +20 spd)
Generally Thracia 776 is considered the most balanced FE game of all, also deeper than FE9 and 10 in some respects and also the darkest in terms of story. Sety isn't quite as indestructible as you'd think in Thracia 776. Also you have to realise that FE1 and FE3 also capped stats at 20.

Also theres no mistake regarding ages there, hes 14 at the start of the game, 15 for bulk of FE5 and 16 when he meets Celice than 17 by the end events of FE5. You probably forgot to take into account of the year he was born making you think he was 13.

Main problem with Seisen no Keifu is the bulk of the juicy story isn't in game (entire backgrounds and histories and bloodlines for the families) and was only elaborated in the accompanying artbook for the game.
__________________
I'M IN DESPAIR~~!

Last edited by Sety; 2008-03-22 at 19:52.
Sety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-23, 12:15   Link #95
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 29
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sety View Post
Generally Thracia 776 is considered the most balanced FE game of all, also deeper than FE9 and 10 in some respects and also the darkest in terms of story. Sety isn't quite as indestructible as you'd think in Thracia 776. Also you have to realise that FE1 and FE3 also capped stats at 20.

Also theres no mistake regarding ages there, hes 14 at the start of the game, 15 for bulk of FE5 and 16 when he meets Celice than 17 by the end events of FE5. You probably forgot to take into account of the year he was born making you think he was 13.

Main problem with Seisen no Keifu is the bulk of the juicy story isn't in game (entire backgrounds and histories and bloodlines for the families) and was only elaborated in the accompanying artbook for the game.
Nobody is indestructible in the game once it introduces the Hell spell. Later levels border on impossible without the utmost of stat capped characters and a little bit of luck. I'd argue they screwed up the balance of the game as opposed to did it well. I even tried some gameshark codes on the final stage such as HP=80 at the end of a battle and people wouldn't believe how hard the game was even then. It's the kind of game where you really aren't going to beat some of the later stages on your first try, or second, or maybe even 10th until you can start to use trial and error to predict enemy behaviour and how to deal with it. I still think it's a great game (and I beat it for the first time legitimately about a month ago to prove to myself that I could really do it now that I have the appropriate experience), just unbalanced against the player.

Seisen No Keifu can be pretty hard to (although nowhere near the level of Thracia 776) in some of it's bosses like Alvis and the gauntlet that is the epilogue. If I had to rank them in terms of balance towards easy and hard I would go like this.

Thracia 776 (Horribly unbalanced against player)
Seisen No Keifu (Slightly unbalanced against player)
Monshou No Nazo (Balanced)
Fuuin No Tsurugi (Most Balanced)
Rekka No Ken (Slightly unbalanced in favour of player)
Path of Radiance (Unbalanced against computer)
Goddess of Dawn (Very unbalanced against computer)
Sacred Stones (Horribly unbalanced against computer)
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-23, 13:18   Link #96
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: UK
Quote:
Nobody is indestructible in the game once it introduces the Hell spell. Later levels border on impossible without the utmost of stat capped characters and a little bit of luck.
Or planning in advance and very careful usuage of every item at your disposal.

Take it from me, I've beaten that game legitimately with an S rank before. Once you take advantage of every last bonus it offers, the incredibly powerful staves and support options. You can get through quite safely, theres at least several ways to beat each chapter.

In all fairness thats what I enjoy most about Thracia 776, most chapters are memorable because you have to think quite abit and the CPU sometimes shows genuine signs of good play. I can't even remember half the chapters in FE8/9/10 because they just had so many throwaway missions and lack of variety. Almost all the time I could rush in gung ho and finish a mission without really doing anything.

I actually agree on Fuuin no Tsurugi being most balanced. Despite the fact its the most basic of the recent games it somehow manages to hit a fine balance between difficult and playable. You rarely ever see maxed stats on anything in that game.

Also interesting fact about Thracia 776, if you try cheating by upping your stats too high. The game actually resets them to zero.
__________________
I'M IN DESPAIR~~!
Sety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-23, 13:43   Link #97
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 29
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sety View Post
Or planning in advance and very careful usuage of every item at your disposal.

Take it from me, I've beaten that game legitimately with an S rank before. Once you take advantage of every last bonus it offers, the incredibly powerful staves and support options. You can get through quite safely, theres at least several ways to beat each chapter.

In all fairness thats what I enjoy most about Thracia 776, most chapters are memorable because you have to think quite abit and the CPU sometimes shows genuine signs of good play. I can't even remember half the chapters in FE8/9/10 because they just had so many throwaway missions and lack of variety. Almost all the time I could rush in gung ho and finish a mission without really doing anything.

I actually agree on Fuuin no Tsurugi being most balanced. Despite the fact its the most basic of the recent games it somehow manages to hit a fine balance between difficult and playable. You rarely ever see maxed stats on anything in that game.

Also interesting fact about Thracia 776, if you try cheating by upping your stats too high. The game actually resets them to zero.
Well Thracia 776 also had a lot of those Escape The Map missions before a possy had the chance to tear you limb from limb. Still running from Galzius was one of the things I remember most about the game. The prison escape mission in Thracia was also required you to be really quick and delicate with how you handled it. The thing to remember when playing is that if there is even the slighest possibility that something is lurking behind the next locked door or the next enemy turn that could possibly kill you....then there probably is. If there's a wide open section of the map in an open area stage then there's likely going to be a row of enemies spawning there for a good few turns and if there's a locked area that is obscured from view until you open the door, expect it to be packed with armor knights with poison axes, mages with Jormungand and bishops with a heal staff you are going to want to take.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-24, 06:44   Link #98
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: UK
The infamous Cyas chapter is also quite memorable. For me it wasn't so much the dreaded leadership bonus, but if you were a first timer your instinct was to rush those soldiers on the bridge. Little did you know if you did, they'd run away and collapse the bridges on you. Another nice example of the finer touches in that game.
__________________
I'M IN DESPAIR~~!
Sety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-24, 16:01   Link #99
ZXValaRevan
Optomist
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: BC, Canada
Send a message via MSN to ZXValaRevan
Sounds pretty hard.

Luckily, because you can mod/hack the games, it is possible to make a challenging (or impossible) Sacred Stones.

I find with the most recent games, you mainly makes some small/stupid error and end up losing a healer or dancer/bard/heron, or other weaker character. That's really the only thing making them that challenging. But I don't mind terribly, because it still is enjoyable (for me at least).
__________________
I'm really quite a nice person!
ZXValaRevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-25, 07:32   Link #100
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXValaRevan View Post
Sounds pretty hard.

Luckily, because you can mod/hack the games, it is possible to make a challenging (or impossible) Sacred Stones.
Thats been done and it was more impossible than challenging since all they did was max all the enemies stats. This is not a good idea when you have things like Zombie Dragons running around with their 40 stat caps and staves have no use on them. It wasn't hard, just plain cheap.

FE5 had an interesting capturing system where your units could get captured but you could rescue them back in a late game chapter. Actually one common tactic I use in Thracia 776 was if one of my units was almost dead I'd just have them surrender and get captured. It keeps them alive. Although later games kept the rescue ability they completely omitted the capture system.
__________________
I'M IN DESPAIR~~!
Sety is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:14.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.