AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Macross

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-03-22, 07:13   Link #1021
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England, UK
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Moon is just an amazing song period.
Indeed it is, though it's a piece of music that means a lot to be because of it's involvement with the series. Especially two of the scenes it's used for.
__________________
Shiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-22, 07:32   Link #1022
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Leeds, UK
Age: 31
Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO Send a message via Skype™ to Onizuka-GTO
ARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHH!!

This is Gun-filth-dam!

*kicks everyone off a cliff*

NO.THIS IS MACROSS!

RRAAAWWRR!!
__________________
Onizuka-GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-22, 07:55   Link #1023
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Macross Plus Inserts (Not counting Information High) > SEED Inserts (Not Counting Meteor, ZIPS the T.M Revolution song from the Special Edition is tight as fuck btw)
To me they were around equal quality. Macross Plus had a few great ones but many of them just sounded like background themery (in that beautiful way), Kanno style. While Seed seemed to want to blast it out as frontrunning songs. Both great for what they were.

As for Moon, I agree it was one of Kanno's stronger song efforts, though I think the general opinion is actually a bit split compared to some of her other works such as Macross Plus or Escaflowne songs (then again, Turn A was largely a love it or a hate it thing with Gundam fans due to its incredible uniqueness. Even the way the OST was composed by Kanno was a bit unconventional in its light tone compared to the more militaristic tone of just about all the other Gundam or Macross show).

As for the whole 'hearing the music with the series', I have to disagree with that personally. I listened to the Turn A tracks way before watching it whole and I thought it stood for itself. Ditto to a lot of Kajiura/Toshihiko stuff (I never even knew what Seed was until after listening to an OST. Then catching it all up).

Of course, I watched Macross Plus and was introduced to the music that way. Just different eras in terms of watching anime and fansubs I guess. Downloading OSTs via torrent was just that much easier and let me be introduced to the music quicker instead of actively searching it out I guess.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-22, 08:45   Link #1024
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England, UK
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
As for the whole 'hearing the music with the series', I have to disagree with that personally. I listened to the Turn A tracks way before watching it whole and I thought it stood for itself. Ditto to a lot of Kajiura/Toshihiko stuff (I never even knew what Seed was until after listening to an OST. Then catching it all up).
Sure, listening to the musical score can be one of the best reasons for checking out a series. I know a lot of times i end up checking out a series for who the composer was --- i'm just saying that going from personal experiences, listening to the score within the series first works out better in the end.
__________________
Shiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-25, 09:23   Link #1025
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Has anyone found any good fanart of Sheryl or Ranka Lee lately?
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-25, 09:27   Link #1026
D a m i e n
permanentely bored
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: France
Age: 34
Send a message via ICQ to D a m i e n
when is eps 2 (or 1.1) supposed to go on TV?
did they blew the whole serie budget on eps1? was eps1 just the staff having fun and the real serie will drop in visual quality?
__________________
Outside of a dog reading is man's best friend, inside it s too dark to read...
D a m i e n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-25, 09:33   Link #1027
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
They have had at least 3 months to work on the next couple of episodes and that is if we assume that episode 1 was the only completed one at the time it premiered. For all we know at december 26h they could've had 6 episodes already done and since than now have 15 finished. IIRC and even if I do I can't confirm it I.G had 12 episodes of GITS SAC already animated when the first episode was shown, or so I read I have no confirmation on that so if I'm flat out wrong someone please let me know. One of the biggest I.G fans I know (haven't seen him on the forum I knew him from in over a year) online said that so that's the only reason I even mentioned it.

Anyway the scenes from episode 2 I saw in PV 2 look just as good.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-25, 12:11   Link #1028
lixuelai
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
What I'm waiting for is Ranka's version of Ai Oboete Imasu ka?.
Isnt the ending theme sang by Ranka aka Megumi Nakajima?

I thought it sounded quite good (if it is indeed by her and ANN seems to confirm that). Im curious how Nakamjima will live up to Iijima's precedence. All the songs by Iijima in the original SD is legendary. I doubt she will be surpassed but I hope Nakajima can do a good job. Hopefully Ranka will have some songs like Ai wa Nagareru Part I and II. Amazing stuff, really showed what what Minmay was about. Hopefully Ranka doesnt end up like Minmay though, Minmay was such a tragic character.

p.s. My favorite Yoko Kanno song will have to be Tsuki no Mayu. The best Gundam track since the original IMO.
lixuelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-25, 12:31   Link #1029
lixuelai
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO View Post
ignore Thohell, he just doesn't appreciate the religious devotion i have to this series.

While 4Trans & Superknuckle more or less explained it to you, the one major factor you will appreciate in Macross is that while it's an mecha anime and therefore feature a lot of technology. The emphasis is not on the "amazing" and "powerful" weapons one side has over the other, but the celebration of standard issued or simply a better weapon model that can only be enhanced by the skill of the pilots.

In Gundam, there is something similiar in that while the technology mix in experimental with mass-production the focus is on those special "units" who are more or less equally matched, so it drops down to the skill of the pilots.

in macross it is more less the reverse, the units the pilots used are all related and more or less have the equal, no one unit stands above the rest, nor have any real advantages.

It more less drops down to the skill and courage of the pilots.

Another difference is that in Macross universe,

MENTALLY UNSTABLE TEENAGERS DO NOT HAVE A RIGHT TO PILOT MULTI-BILLION WORTH OF MILITARY EQUIPMENT.


Level headed and sometimes hot headed, but always qualified.

The fact is that Macross is pretty much anti-war in it's ethics, that cultural theme is the best way to settle disputes and worlds.

But they don't lack the courage to fight for their survival in this hostile universe.

Gundam always looks within the conflict and flaws of the human race always presenting a pessimistic view on our species

Macross sees the BEST in humans, it is the optimist of the space drama.

Humans are strong when we are united, when we are against the rest of the universe.

That's not to say the internal conflict did not happen, you have only to look to Macross Zero, and the beginning of the first series to know that the humans of the Macross universe have suffered at another global and unifying war, and even GENOCIDE!
Culture specifically Proto-culture saved the human race, and it is a means to a civilized existences the battles we see are merely the icing on the cake as they reach out to progress to a greater goal!!

*gasp*

MACROSS HALLOW BY THY NAME!!!

*sprinkle holy lubricant oil everywhere*

Lol excellent points. I just love how people finishes all the Gundams and look for more mecha and finds Macross. I dont consider Macross a mecha anime. It is more of the space drama type, more comparable to Sekai no Senki. The mecha in Macross serve a purpose. Unlike Gundams which makes you scratch your head thinking why it is needed, Macross mecha (the variable fighter namely) makes perfect sense from their history.
lixuelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-25, 19:33   Link #1030
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by lixuelai View Post
Isnt the ending theme sang by Ranka aka Megumi Nakajima?

I thought it sounded quite good (if it is indeed by her and ANN seems to confirm that).
ANN is correct.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-25, 22:18   Link #1031
4Tran
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by lixuelai View Post
Isnt the ending theme sang by Ranka aka Megumi Nakajima?
Yes, and I believe that the last phrase was sang by Iijima Mari herself (either taken from an old vocal track, or as a new recording).

Quote:
Originally Posted by lixuelai View Post
Lol excellent points. I just love how people finishes all the Gundams and look for more mecha and finds Macross. I dont consider Macross a mecha anime. It is more of the space drama type, more comparable to Sekai no Senki. The mecha in Macross serve a purpose. Unlike Gundams which makes you scratch your head thinking why it is needed, Macross mecha (the variable fighter namely) makes perfect sense from their history.
I'm not sure that I'd go that far. Variable fighters are less plausible than their Gundam counterparts since they tend to be both more complex and more advanced (in general). However, they truly are treated like plain war machines in a way that's rather unusual to most mecha anime. And in fact, they could have been replaced by regular fighters without changing a whole lot in terms of the story.
__________________
The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won...
4Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-26, 00:24   Link #1032
lixuelai
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
I'm not sure that I'd go that far. Variable fighters are less plausible than their Gundam counterparts since they tend to be both more complex and more advanced (in general). However, they truly are treated like plain war machines in a way that's rather unusual to most mecha anime. And in fact, they could have been replaced by regular fighters without changing a whole lot in terms of the story.
In the original SD it was stated that the variable fighters were designed after Macross crash landed on earth and humans became aware of the existence of giants in space. The humanoid form is to enable "miclones" to fight on the same level as a giant. IMO its a better reason than Gundams. Im not talking about technical difficulty.
lixuelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-26, 03:14   Link #1033
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
To me, the only difference between a Gundam and a Variable Fighter is that the VFs more resemble our technology and what the apparent need for a transformable fighter would entail if it ever comes to that. But I wouldn't rule out the plausibility of a Gundam type mobile suit if it performs in such high capacity as it tends to do (especially when it concerns atmospheric and highly maneuverable space flight. That and the staple of Gundams: the apparently much superior-than-ballistics beam sabers and beam guns).

Speaking of the whole 'humanoid battroids built to combat giants' thing, you would think they could have built something like Gundams instead of having them transform all the time if they could have.

Then again, I just love both franchises on an almost equal terms so..

Last edited by SuperKnuckles; 2008-03-26 at 03:28.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-26, 08:28   Link #1034
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
I prefer the way that variable fighters are used compared to Gundams, as cool as hand to hand combat is it's not what you would consider somewhat realistic. I mean c'mon as "cool" as episode 22 of 00 was the last scene reminded me of DBZ for a sec with the super speed melee unit zipping all over the place hitting its opponent.

Like 4tran said you could replace the variable fighters with regular ones and much wouldn't be changed though it would of course lose it's coolness factor. I'm trying to recall any intense hand to hand fighting in Macross and all I can think of is a short section of the Macross Plus fight in episode 4 between Isamu and Guld. And really I liked how they portrayed that and it didn't focus on it, made the section so much better since it rarely happened in Macross before.

Also 4tran is correct about Iijima Mari signing the last phrase, I got a chuckle talking to someone IRL who said it sucked compared to the Iijima Mari version. Me- "Even the last line", Friend "Yep", Me "But Iijima Mari did that line herself" Friend "...."

Quote:
Then again, I just love both franchises on an almost equal terms so..
I prefer Macross but when it comes to mecha franchises Gundam is a close second, I don't get how some people can love one and hate the other but whatever.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-26, 10:55   Link #1035
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
I prefer the way that variable fighters are used compared to Gundams, as cool as hand to hand combat is it's not what you would consider somewhat realistic. I mean c'mon as "cool" as episode 22 of 00 was the last scene reminded me of DBZ for a sec with the super speed melee unit zipping all over the place hitting its opponent.
You're missing the point I was trying to make: because how would you know how applicable these types of machines will be in the future? Is there some rule that says all piloted warmachines have to look like conventional 20th century planes? Obviously not. Different universes, different rules. It doesn't matter how realistic it looks to us. It's science fiction. Other than that, I agree with you on the cool factor of the Battroid modes and all. Again, the conventional wisdom doesn't and IMO, shouldn't dictate the actual mecha designs of a show. Let's face it: both Macross and Gundam have far too many fantastical 'sci fi' elements for it to be realistic for our world or anything in the next probable 200-300 years.

Really, it irks me when people put 'realism' as the sticking point for mecha. If it's anything like Gundam/Patlabor/Ghost in the Shell/Macross level, I'm fine with it. We can basically nitpick how unrealistic any single element is forever. To me, that's just plain not fun. I've gone through that discussion at least for a thousand posts in other forums. In the end, I think it's all about selling the action and the cool factor most of all. Does those Macross VFs really need the dozens of reactive warheads to fire all at once? No, but does it matter? No, it looks cool.

Quote:
Also 4tran is correct about Iijima Mari signing the last phrase, I got a chuckle talking to someone IRL who said it sucked compared to the Iijima Mari version. Me- "Even the last line", Friend "Yep", Me "But Iijima Mari did that line herself" Friend "...."
Sorta hard to tell without a closer analysis though. I wouldn't blame 'em.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-26, 11:10   Link #1036
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Well on one level I find the concept of humanoid mechas absurd but I really have no problems with it, I grew up watching the americanized versions of Macross and Mazinger Z along with Transformers, mecha was my main anime staple along with sci-fi and fantasy until last year.

Anyway I just finished watch the movie edition of Plus and I liked a lot of the additions to it, I'm going to have to watch the ovas again to see what got removed and than decide which version I prefer. Also if I had a dollar for every time I've been asked if it's okay to watch Frontier without having seen any other Macross I would have over $20 by now...
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-26, 11:18   Link #1037
lixuelai
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
To me, the only difference between a Gundam and a Variable Fighter is that the VFs more resemble our technology and what the apparent need for a transformable fighter would entail if it ever comes to that. But I wouldn't rule out the plausibility of a Gundam type mobile suit if it performs in such high capacity as it tends to do (especially when it concerns atmospheric and highly maneuverable space flight. That and the staple of Gundams: the apparently much superior-than-ballistics beam sabers and beam guns).

Speaking of the whole 'humanoid battroids built to combat giants' thing, you would think they could have built something like Gundams instead of having them transform all the time if they could have.

Then again, I just love both franchises on an almost equal terms so..
The variable fighters were built for combat in the atmosphere. It makes more sense for it to transform.
lixuelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-26, 21:22   Link #1038
psme
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Like 4tran said you could replace the variable fighters with regular ones and much wouldn't be changed though it would of course lose it's coolness factor. I'm trying to recall any intense hand to hand fighting in Macross and all I can think of is a short section of the Macross Plus fight in episode 4 between Isamu and Guld. And really I liked how they portrayed that and it didn't focus on it, made the section so much better since it rarely happened in Macross before.
I think there are many hand fighting scenes in the original Macross TV series. After that the need for hand fighting seems much reduced as there is much less gaint to fight with!

regards,

Li On
psme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-26, 22:03   Link #1039
4Tran
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
Really, it irks me when people put 'realism' as the sticking point for mecha. If it's anything like Gundam/Patlabor/Ghost in the Shell/Macross level, I'm fine with it. We can basically nitpick how unrealistic any single element is forever. To me, that's just plain not fun. I've gone through that discussion at least for a thousand posts in other forums. In the end, I think it's all about selling the action and the cool factor most of all. Does those Macross VFs really need the dozens of reactive warheads to fire all at once? No, but does it matter? No, it looks cool.
That's true to a point, but keep in mind that it's common for certain people to constantly praise their favorite show for it's realism, even when it's completely unwarranted. And there comes a point when the excesses of the plot or writing or designs or choreography overwhelm its fun factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lixuelai View Post
The variable fighters were built for combat in the atmosphere. It makes more sense for it to transform.
It makes sense for the fighters to have a "Fighter" form, but the Battroid and Gerwalk forms are still sort of superfluous from a realism standpoint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psme View Post
I think there are many hand fighting scenes in the original Macross TV series. After that the need for hand fighting seems much reduced as there is much less gaint to fight with!
There wasn't all that much hand to hand combat in SDF Macross - maybe four or five occurrences in the whole show. And of those times, most of them were due to desperation measures as opposed to the melee > ranged combat rule that's so prevalent in most mecha shows.
__________________
The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won...
4Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-26, 22:22   Link #1040
psme
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
There weren't all that much hand to hand combat in SDF Macross - maybe four or five occurrences in the whole show. And of those times, most of them were due to desperation measures as opposed to the melee > ranged combat rule that's so prevalent in most mecha shows.
That few? Maybe it's time to rewatch the DVD boxset before the new series starts! Besides actual hand combat, I think there are some scenes in Battroid and Gerwalk mode in order to move around in the battleship. Also the Battroid and Gerwalk mode works in urban fighting too. All in all, the transformable mecha is designed for a reason and need.

regards,

Li On
psme is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, romance

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:04.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.