AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Old 2008-04-01, 05:27   Link #1
Skane
Anime Snark

Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars: Kane's Wrath

Just acquired this expansion recently, and campaign aside, I got some technical questions to ask.

What the heck do all the different Graphic Options mean? The manual doesn't explain it, the official site doesn't explain it; and Google has no unified answer for it. I try tweaking some of the options above medium and the game slows to a crawl.

I really would like to know what each option does so that I can play the game with the best possible graphics, based on my PC's specs.

WinXP Professional Ver2002 SP2
Intel Core2Duo E8200 2.66GHz
Kingston 1Gb PC2-6400 RAM x2
GigaByte GeForce 8500 GT 512Mb

Cheers.
Old 2008-04-01, 08:02   Link #2
Fynal_Fyre
Sanae moe over 9000

Send a message via MSN to Fynal_Fyre
I'll try and help, but so far all I've played is CnC3: Tiberium Wars, they should share the core settings though.

Resolution-wise, that affects gameplay a lot, the game SHOULD detect the monitor's native resolution though.

One thing I encounter with the Command and Conquer series, with a setup like yours, keep textures to....medium, I'd say, textures is one thing that can hit performance, textures, IIRC, is the texture detail on every unit/building/tiberium field...etc.

Water effects-wise, you can go up to high, this affects water flow, etc....

Shader detail should go to...medium, toggle between that and low. I'm not exactly sure what this does.

Shadows, do not boost above medium, I'd say, this is every unit's individual shadow, building shadows, etc.

Um, have you put AA on? 'Cause frankly I heard that can really hit performance hard.

But Command and Conquer 3 had an auto-detect tool for optimum IIRC, have you used that?

If I was not mistaken, Command and Conquer 3, just like the series that preceded it, have tabs for animations and effects (correct me here if I'm wrong, or they may go by different names). You can try to turn off unit animations, so they won't move when Idle, grassy plains won't sway, etc.., as for effects, this includes stuff like...moving patches of sunlight, dust in the wind, this CAN impact performance, especially when it comes to light.

It's not sad anymore| Insanity and rants

Fynal_Fyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-01, 09:42   Link #3
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fynal_Fyre View Post
Shader detail should go to...medium, toggle between that and low. I'm not exactly sure what this does.
As the name implies it has to do with shading, the tint of the rendered material as it were.

@Skane stuff like this is pretty basic and I suppose the developers presume you can google or wiki it if you don't know already what they mean.
Old 2008-04-01, 10:34   Link #4
Fynal_Fyre
Sanae moe over 9000

Send a message via MSN to Fynal_Fyre
Ah, so that's what it does.

Anyways, stuff like this IS pretty basic..

And yes, you CAN google or Wiki some of this stuff, BUT some of it can't be wiki'ed or google'd, at least with a clear explanation.

For example, you won't know much about the individual water effects till you actually toy around with them, that's actually the best way to go, use CNC3's auto detect function, then tweak your settings individually, run a skirmish game, feel how it is, then repeat, it may be tedious, but it works.

It's not sad anymore| Insanity and rants

Fynal_Fyre is offline   Reply With Quote