AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2008-02-18, 07:11   Link #41
Doughnuts

Hmm. Looking through my whole font collection, I only have a couple of sans-serif fonts that make the difference between I and l, and most of them appear to be forced monospace (ie, BitStream Vera Mono/DejaVu Mono), italic, or over-eccentric for a plain sub etc.
Trebuchet and Tiresias are the only exceptions I appear to have.
Doughnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-18, 11:51   Link #42
pichu
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughnuts View Post
Hmm. Looking through my whole font collection, I only have a couple of sans-serif fonts that make the difference between I and l, and most of them appear to be forced monospace (ie, BitStream Vera Mono/DejaVu Mono), italic, or over-eccentric for a plain sub etc.
Trebuchet and Tiresias are the only exceptions I appear to have.
Hehe... I don't really mind ;p I can tell from the context when it's Ill and when it's III.

Add Tahoma and Verdana to your list too, unelss you don't run Windows or use Microsoft font pack in Linux.

Segoe UI is another Microsoft font that poses this characteristic. But seriously, it's very difficult to separate the difference apart from the Sans (San Serif) fonts, so I'd say you can just use one font for any of your subs. heh
Old 2008-02-29, 17:47   Link #43
Billkwando
Fanschlubber?

Send a message via AIM to Billkwando Send a message via Yahoo to Billkwando
Hi Guys,

I'm finalizing my project I mentioned before. I have the DVD and I'm finishing the Subbing/Typesetting/QC. Sadly, I went back to Arial. Feel free to point and laugh:

(sorry if there's a size restriction on images...if so, please edit)

I took the screen in Aegisub. The font size is 30. As you can see, I went over and under with the romanji/english, which is what I intended all along.

Fansubbers usually put their names on things right? Is there a protocol for that? Should I use my real nick? Should I do a "beta" release and ask some more experienced translators to have a look? Also, do you capitalize the beginning of every line even if it's mid-sentence/phrase? I can't decide. It would be nice to know if there's a standard.

Any suggestions are still welcome (fonts included....didn't like Calibri). Let me know what you think, please.
Billkwando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-01, 07:00   Link #44
Tofusensei

Send a message via AIM to Tofusensei
It's perfectly functional. If you like the way it looks, I think you should go with it.

And yes, having someone else looking it over before releasing is a good idea. The rest of the things you mentioned are all style decisions and there is no standard even in professional subbing (despite what same may tell you). Some people capitalize them all, some don't, some use ellipses to connect the lines. Use what works for you!

If you want me to look over the translation before you're done, I'd be happy to. I'm a bit of a L'arc fan myself. I actually met Hyde and Ken once!

-Tofu
Tofusensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-02, 15:54   Link #45
Billkwando
Fanschlubber?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofusensei View Post
It's perfectly functional. If you like the way it looks, I think you should go with it.

And yes, having someone else looking it over before releasing is a good idea. The rest of the things you mentioned are all style decisions and there is no standard even in professional subbing (despite what same may tell you). Some people capitalize them all, some don't, some use ellipses to connect the lines. Use what works for you!

If you want me to look over the translation before you're done, I'd be happy to. I'm a bit of a L'arc fan myself. I actually met Hyde and Ken once!

-Tofu
You met Hyde and lived to tell about it? :P Would love to hear that story.

On the video, yeah, I'd love your help! How do we do this? Do you want to see an encode or what?

Let me know.
Old 2008-03-15, 10:55   Link #46
Billkwando
Fanschlubber?

I finally finished my project. I ended up using Calibri for the DVD version.

My only problem now is that I can't get MaestroSBT to do 2 different colored subs.

Even though I have my Romanji style set to green, they all came out white anyway. It shows green under Styles, but when you do Edit and Preview, all the subs are white. What's weird is I had one line that I'd forgotten to add the translation for and that one showed green, but as soon as I added the English line underneath, it turned both lines white.

Is the problem related to the fact that I have 2 different styles timed simultaneously? I'm about ready to poke myself in the eye.

Oh and Tofu's help in reviewing the translation would be helpful. It's not done til it's done!

Anybody got any suggestions on how/where I'd distribute it? I know not here obviously.
Old 2008-03-15, 11:45   Link #47
jfs
Aegisub dev

Remember that DVD subtitles are very limited, you only have 4 possible colours. One of those has to be 100% transparency for the area outside the subtitles, one should be used for the border (usually black) and then there's two left, which you can use for two different fill colours. I haven't worked with MaestroSBT myself, but I assume there's some way to set up which colours to use for what.

Aegisub developer [ Forum | Manual | Feature requests | Bug reports | IRC ]
Don't ask for: More VSFilter changes (I won't), karaoke effects, help in PM's
jfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-15, 13:52   Link #48
Once and Current Subber

If you're setting it up for a DVD project, you may have to manually change the color palette in the navigation file. How to do this varies a LOT by what DVD authoring program you're using (and can be a colossal pain in the ass, mind.) Which authoring suite are you using?
Old 2008-03-16, 06:50   Link #49
Billkwando
Fanschlubber?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar_notADV View Post
If you're setting it up for a DVD project, you may have to manually change the color palette in the navigation file. How to do this varies a LOT by what DVD authoring program you're using (and can be a colossal pain in the ass, mind.) Which authoring suite are you using?
I have DVDSubEdit to edit the CLUT info, the problem is that it's changing the colors for both styles. I'm using black, white, gray(for antialias), and green.

The problem is that it MaestroSBT isn't "seeing" the 2nd style, as it only shows the green romanji style when I have nothing timed simutaneously using the default white style.

I'm following this guide and the posts from this thread:
http://www.omni-forums.com/viewtopic...st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfs View Post
Remember that DVD subtitles are very limited, you only have 4 possible colours. One of those has to be 100% transparency for the area outside the subtitles, one should be used for the border (usually black) and then there's two left, which you can use for two different fill colours. I haven't worked with MaestroSBT myself, but I assume there's some way to set up which colours to use for what.

Only 4 including the transparency? That means I'd have to choose 2 color mode (per sub) and forget about the antialiasing. Interesting.

EDIT: That's EXACTLY what the problem was! Had to drop the antialias for it to work. Thanks jfs!!!

Dunno if I'm gonna DO it or not (lest I have ugly subs) but it's nice to solve the mystery.

How do people have DVD subs in white and signs in yellow like this?:

Last edited by Billkwando; 2008-03-16 at 07:16.
Old 2008-03-16, 20:05   Link #50
Once and Current Subber

Drop the anti-aliasing if you're looking to make a DVD (and thus, display it on NTSC televisions). There's just not enough resolution to make it worthwhile anyway.

Basically, if you have two different colors of text in your subtitle picture, plus black outline, then you can display two colors on the DVD at the same time. Usually one color is red, the other is blue, and then you tell the DVD authoring software what to render those colors as.

If you're doing it for TVs, -use the yellow for the dialogue subtitles-. It's superior to white subtitles for NTSC display (also because white backgrounds are a lot more common than yellow ones!)

Can't help with your specific software - used to Spruce here, heh.
Old 2008-03-16, 22:55   Link #51
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar_notADV View Post
It's superior to white subtitles for NTSC display
I've always wondered, why?
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-17, 09:53   Link #52
exedore
Zentradi Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
I've always wondered, why?
Because NTSC has issues with what bright whites - it traditionally causes video burn-in. For that purpose, official "white" is 210/210/210 instead of 255/255/255...or at least it was in 2000 when I was doing professional credits and titling.
exedore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-17, 16:00   Link #53
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Are you referring to the standard BT.601 levels (luma range 16-235, chroma 16-240)? I don't see how those can stop you from using white subtitles since you can pick any color you want; just set it to be within the TV levels (i.e. 235) and you'll get something that looks like perfect white on a TV screen (and on a computer too since most video renderers scale 16-235 to 0-255).
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-28, 23:36   Link #54
Suikun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billkwando View Post
How do people have DVD subs in white and signs in yellow like this?:

...and on a completely unrelated, off-topic tangent, what DVD is that, and does anybody know what font is being used there?
Suikun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-29, 04:37   Link #55
Billkwando
Fanschlubber?

Here's where I got the screen from:

http://www.omni-forums.com/viewtopic.php?p=94679#p94679

No idea about the font. It reminds me of He-Man for some reason.
Old 2008-03-29, 05:33   Link #56
DontAsk

Hard to tell the font, but my best guess is Trebuchet MS. You should get similar results with that anyway.
DontAsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-30, 16:21   Link #57
pichu
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suikun View Post
...and on a completely unrelated, off-topic tangent, what DVD is that, and does anybody know what font is being used there?
It looks like Trebuchet MS Bold font... You can recognize it by "g", "l", and "i." (most sans fonts are quite distinguishable by those letters)

And the license to use that font is free (it's been bundled with Microsoft products)... which is why it's been used, or should we say, widely abused.
Old 2008-04-03, 18:17   Link #58
Suikun

Quote:
Originally Posted by pichus View Post
It looks like Trebuchet MS Bold font... You can recognize it by "g", "l", and "i." (most sans fonts are quite distinguishable by those letters)
Yeah, I suppose it is rather obvious, now. I always get thrown by the smaller resolution on DVDs with fonts, though - the jaggies add a certain extra curvature at certain sizes and weights that give me a hard time identifying them. Thanks alot for the help!
Suikun is offline   Reply With Quote