AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Gundam

Notices

View Poll Results: Mobile Suit Gundam 00 - Episode 25 Rating
Perfect 10 242 59.46%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 109 26.78%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 28 6.88%
7 out of 10 : Good 13 3.19%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 1.72%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 0.74%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 0.49%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.25%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 0.49%
Voters: 407. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-04-04, 11:34   Link #1001
Owaranai Destiny
Nick of Time~
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Guze no Sekai
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to Owaranai Destiny Send a message via MSN to Owaranai Destiny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Not because it can; because it wants to. And CB will follow its ideal even if it means charging straight into a trap set by the world powers, because they don't want terrorists to get their hands on nuclear material.

On the other hand, the world powers, greedy for technology, deliberately did nothing while terrorists try to steal uranium under their nose. How is THAT for social responsibility?
I'm kind of convinced that the world powers actually played that information out. For one thing, I wouldn't entirely rule out the possibility that the world powers would actually cut in to intervene and destroy their own 'baits' if the key purpose of letting them do this-to lure and trap the Gundams-failed.

Of course, there is no real basis for this, but if the press ever got hold of this and speculated upon it, it may well cause an internal upheaval in their respective societies.
__________________
Owaranai Destiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-04, 12:34   Link #1002
Derringer
Bluefin Distribution
*Scanlator
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
When we say world powers, we mean only the leaders.

Sergei and his men were shocked when they discovered the terrorists were actually the bait to lure the gundams into that desert.
Derringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-04, 13:09   Link #1003
plant
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
A lot of people have been calling the EF a ridiculous proposal. Something that would lever happen in the real world. I don't think that its all that far fetched.

I actually found it a bit odd that the three coalitions were formed around the elevators in the fist place. People hate the idea of a unified military because it interferes with any traditional notions of sovereignty. Despite the extreme dependency on the solar elevators I don't see why the countries dissolved there boundaries to that degree. Perhaps the Asians coalesced first and the Americans/Europeans jumped into suit out of fear.

Either way after the unions formed, those individuals who resisted the change, may have been disenfranchised. At this point, and the people in power would be the ones most likely to support Unity between the nations.

I think it still leaves us with an unanswered question. What was the catalyst for the shift into the EF? People in high-power political positions rarely push change especially the kind that creates an authority that they have to answer to.

As for CB they i can't see them as having had too much of an effect. The joint military operations aren't going to cause any real political headway. At best their message of ending war could cause people to try to create a peace keeping force; however, that seems a bit contrived to me.

Whatever happened i hope the writers elaborate heavily on the events of the four year hiatus.
plant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-04, 13:21   Link #1004
plant
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
anybody notice that livonze's team isn't 6 people, it's made up of three sets of clones?

I really doubt that isn't with tierria's situation.

I mean the only diffrences between all these charachters is there hair! (anime lol)

I hope there connected through some kind of wireless telepathy thing, it would be pretty cool if they could even 2 person pilot mobile suits
plant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-04, 14:47   Link #1005
dom33
Pat:TAISAAAAA!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongod86 View Post

But frankly, I think I'd be happy if they started with a clean slate of new Meisters and left the original survivors as mentors/higher powers and did what GSD tried to do but utterly failed (since Shinn utterly phailed as a main character)
GSD gave up despite the new cast having something most of old cast lacked depth! on second thought forget it you've admitted the show is joke and you've also claimed it's great. say is suzaku your favorite code geass character?

by the way how did shinn fail?did he fail cause he wasn't yet another accidental pilot? or was it because she gave cagalli the shouting she deserved?


my thoughts on the episode.

for starters

at first i was worried this would be like code geass but fortunetlty I was wrong, and yes I know I
can't stop bashing code geass at least I'm aware of it.

alejandro

when he started to act he was an interesting traitor villian but soon he became boring fortunetly in this episode he's interesting again. he clearly had a god complex which works well with his MA's/MS's design.finally the manipulator revealed to be a pawn was sheer genius.

the sergei,soma, and h/allelujah sub plot

well the season 1 "conclusion" to this sub plot was far different from what I expected, h/allelujah's relation with each other has changed from the beginning now they're pulling off a Gotenks fusion! as for hallelujah's apparent death as I mention in their character disscusion thread this will likely means allelujah will take on some of hallelujah's character traits since hallelujah existed to do what allelujah wanted to do but couldn't due to his nature. as sergei and soma, well soma got the knock down she needed and segei isn't dead and heis reminded that soma is human.(don't know what to make of the whole soma/mary thing)

tieria

not much to say, his change is the most obvious out of all the 4 er 3. he was a cold hearted bastard at the start but then lockon and the other miesters changed him. I do wonder if he's really dead, that person with louise looks alot like him. by the way if the person that looks like tieria has been said to be a women then why does she look more manly then tieria?

Graham

I was quite pleased with his scenes, i enjoy any character that knows the "score"probably why I liked lloyd from code geass. in the beginning his feelings towards gundam could once be called love but it evolved into hatred. he's a man who's been mocked, failed as a commander and had his freinds killed. his interaction with setsuna was the best part of the episode but more on that later. Graham's mask is awsome. Also on a final note I plan on writing a fanfic on him that's about his changes through out the series.

the battles

it's been a long time since I've seen mech battles that epic. it was nice to see good old mobile suit (and "fighter") vs mobile armor. the sergei and soma vs HAllelujah was full of suspense and action. setsuna finishing off alejandro with all 7 swords was one of the best moments in the episode. while GN flag vs exia battle last only around 3 minutes it was the best battle in the episode. another thing i liked is the character interactions that occur during the battles.

setsuna and marinna

setsuna is a unique main character not sure why. setsuna has changed from the beginning, he's alot more open. setsuna dosen't understand the world, he doesn't understand evil or why people fight pointlessly something he shares incommon with marinna which is probably why I don't have problem with their relationship.

status quo

what annoys most about code geass( besides suzaku,strong anti-american vibes, how it treats women ,inconsitancies, unoriginal plot, du ex machinas,lack of real plot and character development, and nina) is that after 25 episode they essentially go right back to episode 1, fortunetly that's not what happened here. an earth federation is formed, if U.C. taught me one thing it's don't trust the E.F. ribbonz has his own faction, some characters have changed, as for patrick his survival is explained with the revelation that the gnx cockpit is located at the *cough* lower region, honestly his survival surprised me more than ali's. i believe setsuna,tieria and allejulah to be alive.

man I meant to post this 4 days ago,I'm must be the world's biggest procastinator. if this episode told anything it was me my decision to drop code geass was as good as val kilmer's decision to drop out of batman and robin.(he never made a better decision in his life.)
__________________
d33:"the only ones allowed to bash should be those who are prepared to be bashed!"
Onizuka-GTO:yeah, great post WD, but also puzzled. if it's a race you see, okay then. but at the moment it's a one man race, with Suzuku doing timed laps against his personal best....
WhiteWings:To this day I don't know what the insanity behind the decision to release the first GSD ending. My God that was without a doubt the worst ending I had ever seen in my life in a anime series.
Blizzer: He already has special powers called super pheromone powers which makes him irresistable to Sekirei's in heat.

Last edited by dom33; 2008-04-04 at 14:48. Reason: forgot a word
dom33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-04, 19:58   Link #1006
Vorenus
Angsty Newtype
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
I understand your subjective longing, but I like these traditional elements and while you may look at it as eating the same food over and over, my grandmother makes pancakes much different from my mom's...Her's are crispy, almost like funnel cakes, while my mom's are fluffy and fat...Both still taste good^^...My point, aside from idle hunger, is that many different directors and writers have taken these same elements and cooked them in their own way providing completely different atmospheres when viewing...That's the great challenge of making Gundam...Gundam has always been about universal themes...No show in the history of the franchise (Even SD GUNDAM FORCE ) has ever neglected simple universal themes...It's just how you tell it
I liked your pancakes analogy... it is not a bad one.
These traditional elements will of course not prevent me to watch a Gundam series if it the rest is good enough, but I don't want these traditional elements to be used as templates of characters or stories, else it is just stereotypes and it is what may kill a saga as long as Gundam.

I honestly think that some directors thought that putting a mask on their characters and give them blond hairs would automatically allow them to rip off some of Char's charisma (and Graham was charismatic enough right from the start to not even need that) and make their characters/villains popular.

Now, it will perhaps sound a bit contradictory, but maybe I would have been happier with Graham being masked right from the start...
Now that Graham has a mask, it means the writers will have to force his own personality to fit into the mold of the masked man (in at least all or some of the most important aspects : revenge, mystery, hidden past and connections, etc).
I can see creating a character from a template and make him develop over the time to drift away from this template and become his own character, but doing it the other way around seems risky.

The masked man is a not only a traditional element but also a symbol which should follow some codes : if they gave a masked man the personality of Judau Ashta, it would definitely feel weird and we know it can't happen because of the meaning of the mask.
Being a masked man in Gundam implies you have to do certain things and act a certain way or there is no point wearing a mask in the first place : that's what I'm afraid of, but after all, like with most things in 00, I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt and see how it turns out...

Many other traditional elements in Gundam, though do not disturb me : as I said, I have no problem with Haro, and no problems with the main Gundam being blue and in general having a V-Fin : Turn-A tried to be innovative here and I don't think it has really done it much good )

Quote:
I mean, hell, GSD just aired a couple of years ago and Gundam 00 examined almost every single theme GSD tried to examine and did it better in just 25 episodes (Doing it in a vastly different style)...You can do the same thing over and over and tell it differently over and over...Only Gundam SEED (In an effort to re-energize the franchise after Tomino purposely wanted to conclude it), really just ripped a G-story from the roots, which it it did for the first half pretty good (I'm not even commenting on GSD which everyone knows is the one exception in all of Gundam History for unlimited ripping)...But to capsulize my feelings here, same don't equal same in Gundam all the time...

As for Tomino trying to close the Gundam history with Turn A...It was a great effort...Turn A is an amazing anime, period...However I don't see in the slightest while that makes Gundam 00's attempt at a prequel of sorts invalid...The minute another Gundam show came out, that absolute was vaporized and the franchise was re-open for business...
Yeah, and it is precisely why he was quite pissed when it happened.
And to be honest, I'm rather happy it didn't end after Turn A, and it is not like Tomino Gundams were flawless either and other directors are free to give it a try and some didn't do worse than him.
What I mean when I said that Gundam didn't really need a prequel was that effort was made to close it at the end, with Turn A (as illegitimate as it may be in this role) supposed to be the end of Gundam with Tomino having to carry the weight of a legacy he didn't request nor want for most) so do we need an effort to "close" the beginning as well ?

Besides, if by prequel we mean "what happened before the colonies were built and space migration started", then 00 may not be the best candidate to fill that role.
The reason for space migration in UC was overpopulaton and world pollution (the one having more or less caused the second). However, this subject has not even been brushed at all in 00.
For all we know so far, people not at war are living happily and do not necessarily die of starvation (third-world probably still exists there, but nothing implies it is worse than today except maybe for countries having based their whole economy on Petrol like Azadistan).
Gundam 00 so far has not shown much people living in space (aside from CB and that HRL super-soldiers colony) and currently lacks any valid reason to send people off to space and start building colonies...
Vorenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-04, 20:23   Link #1007
Terra
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: UK
Age: 34
Quote:
I honestly think that some directors thought that putting a mask on their characters and give them blond hairs would automatically allow them to rip off some of Char's charisma (and Graham was charismatic enough right from the start to not even need that) and make their characters/villains popular.

Now, it will perhaps sound a bit contradictory, but maybe I would have been happier with Graham being masked right from the start...
Now that Graham has a mask, it means the writers will have to force his own personality to fit into the mold of the masked man (in at least all or some of the most important aspects : revenge, mystery, hidden past and connections, etc).
I can see creating a character from a template and make him develop over the time to drift away from this template and become his own character, but doing it the other way around seems risky.

The masked man is a not only a traditional element but also a symbol which should follow some codes : if they gave a masked man the personality of Judau Ashta, it would definitely feel weird and we know it can't happen because of the meaning of the mask.
Being a masked man in Gundam implies you have to do certain things and act a certain way or there is no point wearing a mask in the first place : that's what I'm afraid of, but after all, like with most things in 00, I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt and see how it turns out...
If the mask was meant to be to hide something then yes, I can see Graham only becoming masked half way through the series would be out of place. But as far as we can tell, the mask seems to be because of injuries sustained whilst fighting Exia. It isn't meant to hide a past. I can't see a reason for the mask to be because of any other reason. The mask is a traditional element, but it is being used in a different way to before as far as we can tell with what little info we have atm.
__________________
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-04, 20:32   Link #1008
Vorenus
Angsty Newtype
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkatron View Post
Here is a thought: If Alejandro had survived, he probably wouldn't have been made world leader per se, but he would have been the leader of the EF world military. He was the man who advanced the military of the 3 power blocs, practically handing CB to them on a silver platter. He would have been the perfect man for the job.
It is what most people seem to believe (that the 3 power blocs were going to be thankful and keep him on board and give him a very important position), but once CB would have been out of picture, Alejandro would have had to actually answer some questions from them.
Ali could get away with "It would be a corporate secret" when asked how he managed to gundamjack Zwei, because a was a mere soldier and there were more urgent matters to take care of, but how a UN diplomat was able to get access to such a technology should raise some serious questions inside the ranks of the power blocs...
What would he answer ? He was a member of CB and was working for them ? Would you trust a former spy/double-agent at a major and sensitive position when he betrayed already ?

Alejandro didn't understand his life ended with the demise of the Gundam : as things stand, I think the plan was to replace CB with his own army of GN-Units maybe piloted by Innovators to threaten the power blocs and rule the world with an iron first through his superior technology... Alejandro was useless at his point to both Livonze and the World powers : as Livonze said : his arrogance is precisely what made him a small man because he was too self-centered to see what was going to happen next.
I'm still curious how he he was planning to face an army of potentialy hundreds of GN-Units at once. He could have threatened to destroy the orbital elevators (*insert his evil laughter here*), but as 4tran says, we don't know enough about his plans after all and we may never know ever since S2 will have a lot to cover to go back to old events with many details.
Vorenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-04, 20:44   Link #1009
Vorenus
Angsty Newtype
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra View Post
If the mask was meant to be to hide something then yes, I can see Graham only becoming masked half way through the series would be out of place. But as far as we can tell, the mask seems to be because of injuries sustained whilst fighting Exia. It isn't meant to hide a past. I can't see a reason for the mask to be because of any other reason. The mask is a traditional element, but it is being used in a different way to before as far as we can tell with what little info we have atm.
The mask has been used with different main purposes for the different characters (I won't speak about Zechs since I didn't saw enough of Wing to really comment) :

Char : hide past + revenge
Quattro Bajeena (do sunglasses count ? ) : hide past.
Rau : hide wounds/monstruous face + hide past + revenge (complete collection !).
Neo : hide past (prevent people from recognizing him)
Graham : hide wounds/monstrous face + revenge.

Except Rau, no masked character assume all the three aspects of the mask, which is why I said "in at least all or some of the most important aspects".
Graham has two reasons that made him eligible for a mask, which is more than Neo, who had a single one and the least charismatic of them all.
Vorenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-04, 21:26   Link #1010
brightman
Ancient Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorenus View Post
Char : hide past + revenge
Quattro Bajeena (do sunglasses count ? ) : hide past.
Rau : hide wounds/monstruous face + hide past + revenge (complete collection !).
Neo : hide past (prevent people from recognizing him)
Graham : hide wounds/monstrous face + revenge.
Rau had a perfectly fine face, actually. Neo didn't really had any reason to wear a mask since he no reason to hide his face or past or anything (he didn't even know his real identity). Maybe it was to hide his scar?

To complete the cycle of reasons for wearing a mask:
Karozzo - to hide himself from himself
Cronicle - to hide himself from allergy due to the Earth's dust
Schwarz - to hide identity
Ulube - to hide wounds
Zechs - to hide past & identity
Jamil - to hide past
Harry Ord - to hide the fact that other than his visors he only has his ugly thick-framed glasses to wear

I think Neo's reason really ain't that bad compared to a few others, of course, if he had a reason at all.
__________________
Copyright 2014 Brightman
brightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-04, 21:42   Link #1011
wingdarkness
Retweet Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ニュー・オーリンズ、LA
Don't forget the glasses guys...


Harry Ord
Jamil Neate
Quattro Bajeena^^

They are part of the masked guy theme...Even Chronicle Asner with his breath mask, Corrozo with the iron-mask, and Schawrz from G Gundam aswell...

Sorry I'm about to hit up the club, I'll respond to the rest in kind later...Brace for it, I'm gonna get deep on the mask $hit next post...

EDIT:
Damn you again brightman! That's twice in a week I think...
__________________
Fly since ...
wingdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-04, 22:30   Link #1012
Wesley84
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Not because it can; because it wants to. And CB will follow its ideal even if it means charging straight into a trap set by the world powers, because they don't want terrorists to get their hands on nuclear material.

On the other hand, the world powers, greedy for technology, deliberately did nothing while terrorists try to steal uranium under their nose. How is THAT for social responsibility?
Right. It's not like they had hundreds of mobile suits waiting in the area, and a communication network that would detect not only the presence of but the abscense of any Gundam that entered the area. They had plenty of advance warning if Celestial Being decided to not intervene and more than enough forces in the area to secure the site.

It was a calculated risk and stopping the Gundams and their ramapage, with the probable boon of aquiring their unique method of energy generation were well worth the risk, which was actually very small. Practically non-existent.
Wesley84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-04, 23:23   Link #1013
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
Right. It's not like they had hundreds of mobile suits waiting in the area, and a communication network that would detect not only the presence of but the abscense of any Gundam that entered the area. They had plenty of advance warning if Celestial Being decided to not intervene and more than enough forces in the area to secure the site.

It was a calculated risk and stopping the Gundams and their ramapage, with the probable boon of aquiring their unique method of energy generation were well worth the risk, which was actually very small. Practically non-existent.
If stopping the Gundams was a priority, they could very easily have just nuked them in the desert and be done with it. The highway robbery is the priority and nothing else, that's why the mission objective is hidden from the populous.

And of course, the trap made the point that they are taking advantage of CB willing to risk their own lives going into a trap to stop terrorists. Does that sound like noble behavior to you? They KNOW CB will stop terrorists at all costs.

What would you think if in Gotham City, cops wanting to capture Batman for his vigilante ways, leave a bank robbery alone so they can charge in when Batman is done saving the people?
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-05, 01:16   Link #1014
monster
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
Maybe it was to hide his scar?
More like to hide his real identity, along with the name change. (Though I'm still hoping the movie will declare him a clone.)

As for Graham, I hope his mask is somehow being used to help with an injured face besides merely hiding it. Otherwise, I would be disappointed. With his pride and obsession for the gundams, I would think he'd want to show the battle scar he got from battling Exia. That is, assuming he has any facial injury (it would suck if he doesn't and still wear a mask.)
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-05, 02:05   Link #1015
Dean_the_Young
Has a life IRL
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Somewhere in the Anglo-Saxon Sphere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
If stopping the Gundams was a priority, they could very easily have just nuked them in the desert and be done with it. The highway robbery is the priority and nothing else, that's why the mission objective is hidden from the populous.
It's kind of hard to reverse-engineer nuclear slag for the purpose of getting a decisive edge above your foes. Which was the other purpose of stopping CB; if any of the other powers gets their hands upon a Gundam, you're screwed. Therefor, you must grab the gundam yourself, even as you destroy CB.

Just mentioning.
Quote:
And of course, the trap made the point that they are taking advantage of CB willing to risk their own lives going into a trap to stop terrorists. Does that sound like noble behavior to you? They KNOW CB will stop terrorists at all costs.
Whether the Powers are noble or not really is irrelevant to whether Celestial Being was a threat to their sovereignty. You're falling into a logical fallacy, as well as assuming that two wrongs excuse unprovoked ideological attacks.

They don't.
Dean_the_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-05, 02:30   Link #1016
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean_the_Young View Post
Whether the Powers are noble or not really is irrelevant to whether Celestial Being was a threat to their sovereignty. You're falling into a logical fallacy, as well as assuming that two wrongs excuse unprovoked ideological attacks.

They don't.
As I kept saying, unprovoked ideological attacks are quite acceptable in world politics. Everyone does it.

I keep mentioning how President Brian never got offended by CB's actions, and describes them as doing Union's duties for them. There simply wasn't any evidence that there was any outrage or anger on the part of the Union government concerning CB, up to the point when the Thrones start to blow up military bases indiscriminately.

Union didn't try to steal the Gundams because CB was "wrong", Union never gave a damn if CB was wrong or not. Morality was only an issue to CB itself, all three world powers were only interested in politics and increasing military might.

There was a split down the middle in public opinion concerning CB's legitimacy. It simply wasn't as cut-and-dry as you claim it was.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-05, 06:52   Link #1017
Vorenus
Angsty Newtype
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
Rau had a perfectly fine face, actually. Neo didn't really had any reason to wear a mask since he no reason to hide his face or past or anything (he didn't even know his real identity). Maybe it was to hide his scar?

I think Neo's reason really ain't that bad compared to a few others, of course, if he had a reason at all.
Didn't Rau have a body aging faster than usual due to the fact he is a clone with short-telomeres ? Mwu and Kira were quite shocked when his face was revealed. He might have had a nice face in the non-masked flashbacks we had from him, but it was several years before Seed, and Rey was going to end up the same.

As for Neo, Mwu being the sort of living legend he should be as "The Hawk of Endymion", I would bet his face is pretty well known by a lot of people in the OMNI Military he was originally from and was back as Neo.
The risk of people recognizing him and shouting "You're a MWU !" was too high...
And it just looks fearsome for the commander of a black-squad like Phantom Pain to wear a mask, a mask always adding to the character charisma in Gundam (by actually borrowing Char's).

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
Don't forget the glasses guys...
Harry Ord
Jamil Neate
Quattro Bajeena^^

They are part of the masked guy theme...Even Chronicle Asner with his breath mask, Corrozo with the iron-mask, and Schawrz from G Gundam aswell...

Sorry I'm about to hit up the club, I'll respond to the rest in kind later...Brace for it, I'm gonna get deep on the mask $hit next post...
Jamil while wearing a sunglasses to hide his past (from others and especially to himself since he was badly traumatized by war) doesn't act at all like the other masked characters in Gundam and doesn't have so much mystery about him since his whole past is revealed by the 5 first episodes.
Besides, Gundam X being an "as if" of what may have happened if the One Year War ended for the worst, Jamil stands as the equivalent of Amuro rather than Char's.
So while Jamil indeed wears glasses which is a toned-down version of the mask, he managed to not follow the masked-man codes, so I guess there is hope for Graham.

Last edited by Vorenus; 2008-04-05 at 07:11.
Vorenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-05, 07:16   Link #1018
Renegade334
Exitus Acta Probat
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Permanent retirement from raws-hunting
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorenus View Post
Didn't Rau have a body aging faster than usual due to the fact he is a clone with short-telomeres ? Mwu and Kira were quite shocked when his face was revealed. He might have had a nice face in the non-masked flashbacks we had from him, but it was several years before Seed, and Rey was going to end up the same.
His face was shown in the SEED Special Edition - and there was no deformity to behold.

Here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:M...mages-raww.jpg
__________________
<< -- Click to enter my GFX thread.

-- Permanently retired from the raw-hunting business --
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-05, 07:30   Link #1019
Wesley84
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
If stopping the Gundams was a priority, they could very easily have just nuked them in the desert and be done with it. The highway robbery is the priority and nothing else, that's why the mission objective is hidden from the populous.

And of course, the trap made the point that they are taking advantage of CB willing to risk their own lives going into a trap to stop terrorists. Does that sound like noble behavior to you? They KNOW CB will stop terrorists at all costs.

What would you think if in Gotham City, cops wanting to capture Batman for his vigilante ways, leave a bank robbery alone so they can charge in when Batman is done saving the people?
They didn't have any nukes, hence the dump. And soverign nations are allowed their military secrets.

And they don't know what Celestial Being will do. That's the whole point. They can make a guess based upon their previous behavior, but since they don't know anything about their leaders or organization, only that they use Gundams they have no idea what really makes them tick. Of course they didn't really explain that in the series since it'd make Celestial Being look bad.

It probably wouldn't be a popular move on the cops part, and the nuclear bait move wouldn't have been a popular move on the pols part if people had been aware of it. That doesn't matter though.

Quote:
As I kept saying, unprovoked ideological attacks are quite acceptable in world politics. Everyone does it.
Usually they use words, not weapons of mass destruction.

Quote:
I keep mentioning how President Brian never got offended by CB's actions, and describes them as doing Union's duties for them. There simply wasn't any evidence that there was any outrage or anger on the part of the Union government concerning CB, up to the point when the Thrones start to blow up military bases indiscriminately.
They were fools. Incompetent, complacent, and arrogant fools. The series chose not to show anyone being outraged by Celestial Being, a most disappointing fact since there's plenty of reason for people to hate/fear them.

Quote:
Union didn't try to steal the Gundams because CB was "wrong", Union never gave a damn if CB was wrong or not. Morality was only an issue to CB itself, all three world powers were only interested in politics and increasing military might.
And stopping the threat to their national security.

Quote:
There was a split down the middle in public opinion concerning CB's legitimacy. It simply wasn't as cut-and-dry as you claim it was.
That's something that was never explored in the series. We got a handful of protest shots and people waving little signs around condemning Celestial Being. No named character EVER criticised what Celestial Being was doing, and that's what's really important.
Wesley84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-05, 08:02   Link #1020
mougrim
Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Age: 29
Send a message via ICQ to mougrim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorenus View Post
The mask has been used with different main purposes for the different characters (I won't speak about Zechs since I didn't saw enough of Wing to really comment) :

Char : hide past + revenge
Quattro Bajeena (do sunglasses count ? ) : hide past.
Rau : hide wounds/monstruous face + hide past + revenge (complete collection !).
Neo : hide past (prevent people from recognizing him)
Graham : hide wounds/monstrous face + revenge.
Zechs - hide past + revenge + guilty (he thought the his sister is dead and he can't prevent her death)
mougrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:56.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.