AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-04-03, 19:08   Link #1
Kakashi Sensei
LstSrvvngSskeFnGrl

Folklore Anime

This is a rather strange request, but I want to start a new anime that has something like dragons or vampires in it. Dragons, perferably. Maybe elves? I've seen some of the mecha ones, but I'm not too keen on those.

One of my favorite would-be animes is Record of Lodoss War, which unforunately I've only seen a few of because it's quite old and such. Anyway, I also have seen Juuni Kokki. The creatures, though you don't see them very often, are entirely unique and interesting at that. Shingetsutan Tsukime was also dark and intriguing, and I've done Gilgamesh also. Since Gilgamesh relates to the ancient story I also found that interesting.

I also love Wolf's Rain and Escaflowne (which kind of relate to this topic), and I've tried Ninja Scroll, but that was much too gory for me.

I've seen: (prepare for my long list....)
Inuyasha, Hana Yori Dango, Kenshin, Wolf's Rain, Scrapped Princess, Juuni Kokki, Naruto, DN Angel, Stellvia, Shingetsutan Tsukime, Gilgamesh, Lodoss War, Avenger, and Fullmetal Alchemist. (And a few others.)

Any ideas as to what I should start on next?
Old 2004-04-03, 19:54   Link #2
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Cool

you can try Hanada Shounen Shi which is a truly wonderful anime series and deals with Japanese folklore.

Hundred Stories/Kousetsu Hyaku Monogatari is also a fantastic series based on Japanese folklore.

Full Moon o Sagashite could also be said somewhat related to Japanese folklore...

If you want anime based on medieval fantasy settings, there's Berserk. Also if you love Scrapped Princess, I guess you will definitely like The Slayers series, and maybe Those Who Hunt Elves.

If you want Vampires, Hellsing is a superb action series featuring vampires.

There's also the great Kino no Tabi which is somewhat related to certain folklore stories but no mythical creatures.

Princess Tutu is a very nice series with a truly unique touch to various fairy-tales.

Oh, and there's Fushigi Yuugi, which is somewhat similar to 12 kokuki I think...
Old 2004-04-03, 19:54   Link #3
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Stuff to try next:

- Condor Hero - background setting similiar like Juni Koki in ancient China, romance, martial arts, good guys vs bad guys. Good story line. ^^

- Hundred Stories - background setting is ancient Japan where ghost and evil spirits rampage the land, horror genre.

- Matantei Loki Ragnarok - the character are based on Norse Gods, Loki, Thor, Heimdal, etc.

- Princess Tutu - mix of fairy tale and folk lore, a tale about a duck who became a human girl so she can be with her prince. Very classic and well done anime. recomended to see. ^^
Old 2004-04-04, 19:02   Link #4
Yamano667
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Yamano667
Vampire princess miyu
Old 2004-04-05, 04:33   Link #5
TDKNL
GIF genin

Send a message via MSN to TDKNL
My recommendations seeing your list:

- Those Who Hunt Elves 1 + 2 (Hunting elves are they crazy?)
- Hellsing (bloody good)
- Matantei Loki Ragnarok (about Norse Gods)

I would start with Hellsing