AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2008-04-13, 23:33   Link #1
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Graphics Tablet help

After "finally" getting my biggie Federal income tax back I decided to finally the tablet I've wanted. And i've narrowed down to 2 after reading on them a bunch but I would like some opinion from the users who have used tablets before.

WACOM Intuos3 PTZ631W 6" x 11"

Or

WACOM Intuos3 PTZ930 9" x 12"

I would prefer the 6x11 but it seem the vertical area seems quite small from the picture from About.com which I dislike but I like the widescreen aspect of it. The price difference isn't that much between the two too.

From those that have used it before, I would like an opinion or two ^^

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-14, 20:48   Link #2
kayos
RETIRED

I can't talk for the smaller tablets but I own the Intuos3 9x12 and I wish I had gotten the smaller one. Because of it's size, it's a little awkward to handle at times. It's good if you have enough room on your desk to lay it flat but my desk was pretty average so most of the time I had to use my lap... it's just awkward.

Whichever one you choose I recommend using amazon, it's much cheaper than newegg. Newegg Wacom April Special 6x11 ($399), and 9x12 ($449), I don't know... doesn't sound like a deal to me. Check the spoiler for amazon prices.

Spoiler:
kayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-15, 21:53   Link #3
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

I know that. Newegg just happen to sell these at retail prices, which I will not be buying from them, but using them as a reference, that's all ^^.

The only thing I wondered about was the applicable size of the drawing area. Since the 9x12 is a bit bigger than the loose leaf paper I draw on will that be more comfortable than a 6x8 which seems to be the most popular size.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Old 2008-04-16, 01:45   Link #4
kayos
RETIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai View Post
Since the 9x12 is a bit bigger than the loose leaf paper I draw on will that be more comfortable than a 6x8 which seems to be the most popular size.
If I'm not mistaken, do you intend to use all of the drawing space that 9x12 have to offer? If so, you pretty much answered your own question... which is yes. Moving from 8.5x11 to 9x12 is not much of a big difference, so you'll feel right at home.

But just to let you know the actual overall dimension (including non-drawing spaces) of the 9x12 tablet is 13x17. That's the reason why I addressed it earlier, because of it's size it's a bit awkward to handle. Even though I love the concept of having more drawing space, it's not worth sacrificing the comfortability of it for. I myself prefer something smaller and easily maneuverable, so I do regret purchasing such a large pizza box size tablet.

As for the favoritism of the 6x8 (I thought you wanted 6x11), it's mainly because it's much more portable (travel wise) compare to 9x12 and least expensive. You can easily hold it in one hand and draw on it comfortably (a friend of mine has one, tried it... loved it), where as the 9x12 is either on your desk or your lap.

Last edited by kayos; 2008-04-16 at 02:09.
kayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-16, 03:31   Link #5
wao
OK.

I've only used the 6x8 one in school (standard-size monitor), but I was very pleased with that - I don't work on very large projects (only max A4 size) so it's been more than good enough for me. It picks up the input really well... judging by the size, I would think a 6x11 is good enough and while a 9x12 would be droolsome, I agree about the space constriction.
My problem with the Intuos3 tablets is the huge amount of non-working space they take up, I don't really see it as having any ergonomic benefit or anything...

This coming from someone who has never even touched anything larger than a 6x8 (and that for only about less than 20 days in school) and has been using a 4x5 for everything all this while I would dearly love a bigger one, except I'm so rough with my use I probably can't resell this or even give it away... and I had to borrow from my parents to buy the 4x5 as it is. orz

Well, you were worried about the 6x11 being "small" - depends on what size you've been used to, it looks nice and large enough for someone like me but if you've only been working on A4 paper all this while and must have a similar size tablet then well... pick the larger one I guess, but I get the feeling that what erally matters is not the dimensions you're comfortable with but what level of drawing area-screen mapping you're used to.
Old 2008-04-17, 22:08   Link #6
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayos View Post
If I'm not mistaken, do you intend to use all of the drawing space that 9x12 have to offer? If so, you pretty much answered your own question... which is yes. Moving from 8.5x11 to 9x12 is not much of a big difference, so you'll feel right at home.

But just to let you know the actual overall dimension (including non-drawing spaces) of the 9x12 tablet is 13x17. That's the reason why I addressed it earlier, because of it's size it's a bit awkward to handle. Even though I love the concept of having more drawing space, it's not worth sacrificing the comfortability of it for. I myself prefer something smaller and easily maneuverable, so I do regret purchasing such a large pizza box size tablet.

As for the favoritism of the 6x8 (I thought you wanted 6x11), it's mainly because it's much more portable (travel wise) compare to 9x12 and least expensive. You can easily hold it in one hand and draw on it comfortably (a friend of mine has one, tried it... loved it), where as the 9x12 is either on your desk or your lap.
I did but you mistakenly didn't remember what i said about it too. "The vertical height might not be enough for me"

That aside. I think i'll go buy one retail and test it out. I'll be going to Fry's this Saturday to get one since they are the only retail that even sells tablets. I'll test the 6x8 and maybe think about the 6x11 if I see it over there.

Old 2008-04-20, 04:46   Link #7
Asamidori
ボカロ廃

What kind of monitor do you have?

Grab the 6x11 if you're on widescreen or dual moni, 9x12 otherwise.

Incorrect-sized tablet means you either have to force proportion the tablet into fitting your monitor or let it run at default, which may make your strokes different than what you would do outside the computer. (Forced proportion render part of your tablet useless.)

You really don't have to worry about the dimension of the tablet when it comes to drawing. I originally thought mine, a 6x8, will be a bit small to me, but it turns out just fine. (And makes me abuses zooming in and out like hell, but that's another story.)

PS: Driver 4.95-6 since it's the "newest" one that will actually work for my machine, but all drivers should be around the same. (Probably more options for the more expensive/newer tablets. >>; ← Using Graphire from a few years ago.)

Last edited by Asamidori; 2008-04-20 at 05:08.
Asamidori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-21, 02:17   Link #8
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

I am using 15" CRT. But i've gotten the 6x8 so far and it seems to be perfect. Not too big not too small, I'm afraid to get the 9x12 now >.<