AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-04-15, 13:34   Link #1
ReizoSan
Make Your Move
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Age: 24
Recomendations For PC

Im building a custom computer and i am wondering on your views on these parts.

* I need a HDD around 500/750 but i am wondering on if anyone has a blue-ray hd and also is it better???

* Any good RAMS ?? i want one with 4gb ddr2

Also any other recomendations, i have choosen my (Graphics Card, Processor) maybe a intercooler etc... thanks
__________________
Reizo San

Last edited by ReizoSan; 2008-04-15 at 13:45.
ReizoSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-15, 14:14   Link #2
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Not quite sure what you mean by a "blue-ray hd" .... did you actually mean a blu-ray capable optical drive for CD/DVD/Blu-ray?

My advice at the moment there is to just get a good CD/DVD dual layer optical burner (roughly $50 or less from the right places) and wait a bit. There are very few blu-ray reader/writers and they're several hundred dollars.

As far as RAM, Kingston is always a good choice (though Crucial also gets good marks).
You didn't say what speed your mobo could handle for memory (or what it was). You could spend as much as $273 for 4GB(2x2GB) DDR2 PC6400 800MHz Kingston ECC Fully Buffered, or $339 for 4GB DDR2 PC5300 667MHz Crucial ECC Registered, or as little as $99 for 4GB(2x2GB) DDR2 PC5300 667MHz Matched Pair Kingston.

If you have $580 to spare, you could get a 4GB(2x2GB) DDR3 PC8500 1066MHz Matched Pair Crucial though it'd be a waste if your mobo can't drive it that fast.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-15, 15:51   Link #3
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReizoSan View Post
Im building a custom computer and i am wondering on your views on these parts.

* I need a HDD around 500/750 but i am wondering on if anyone has a blue-ray hd and also is it better???

* Any good RAMS ?? i want one with 4gb ddr2

Also any other recomendations, i have choosen my (Graphics Card, Processor) maybe a intercooler etc... thanks
By HDD I assume you mean hard drive, and that has nothing to do with Blu-Ray drives (they're like really shiny DVDs that store more things, that's all).

Don't get a Blu-Ray drive. DVD burners are fine as they are. Blu-Ray drives can wait until you build your next computer.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-15, 16:14   Link #4
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Netherlands
Age: 35
Er, when building a computer I think you should make some more important decisions first, like whether to go for Intel or AMD, and which cpu model and motherboard to pick. Things like HDD choice are not terribly important at first.

Also, if you go for 4GB RAM, make sure you pick a 64-bit version of Windows or you may find you can't actually use all 4GB, due to addressing limitations in the 32-bit version of Windows.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-17, 14:51   Link #5
Mashda2k6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
I'd say go for Intel Processor...I myself got Intel Dual Core E6750 @2.66 and it is absolutely great! Though I don't know if you are a gamer..if you aren't then you won't probably need such a good processor, however if you are I'd suggest a nVIDIA graphic card, if you need a good one nVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT or GTS is quite good combination with Intel Processors.


And as for the ram I'd suggest 2 or 4gb ddr2 800mhz and as GHDpro said if you go for 4gb ram, get a 64 bit windows.
Mashda2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-17, 15:27   Link #6
Potatochobit
Certified Organic
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Lol, I like how you put choosing Intel or AMD brand as an important decision. Honestly, I would think processor speed is far more important. It really is a price 'vs' peformance issue ultimately.
How much are you willing to spend overall? you have to keep this in mind.

something to think about, you can probably find a stand alone blue ray player for cheaper than a computer drive blue ray player. on the up side, though, a computer drive might have a 'duo' combo for HD and Blue ray (not so releveant anymore unless u already have HD-DVDs)

you dont really need an intercooler for your graphics card. you can run something called 'SLI' configuration, that is, TWO graphic cards on the same mother board now.

KEEP IN MIND, you are asking for at least a 700$ investment if you choose to run an intercooler setup with a great graphics card (IN addition to all the other computer parts). If you can afford TWO 8800 GT's in SLI config, that is probably something you want to look into.
__________________
*Retired*
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-17, 21:58   Link #7
Ledgem
Love Yourself
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Northeast USA
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shine View Post
I'd say go for Intel Processor...I myself got Intel Dual Core E6750 @2.66 and it is absolutely great! Though I don't know if you are a gamer..if you aren't then you won't probably need such a good processor, however if you are I'd suggest a nVIDIA graphic card, if you need a good one nVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT or GTS is quite good combination with Intel Processors.


And as for the ram I'd suggest 2 or 4gb ddr2 800mhz and as GHDpro said if you go for 4gb ram, get a 64 bit windows.
I'll second Potatochobit - discussing brands and even specific products at this point is meaningless. (Consider a 64-bit operating system, not just 64-bit Windows, if you need over 4 GB of RAM.)

ReizoSan hasn't provided critical information about what s/he wants to use the computer for. It's never a good idea to start spending money and coming up with the goal for it later - decide what your goal is and build toward that. Do you want a gaming machine? A media machine? Just something to browse the web and watch anime? If you have an unlimited budget we can build you the most amazing computer on the planet, but there's a good chance that you're going to be pissing money away because you won't be utilizing the computer to its max potential. Get the components that'll fit your needs - it'll be cheaper that way.
__________________
Ledgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-21, 15:33   Link #8
ashesatdusk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: La La Land
Send a message via AIM to ashesatdusk
Quote:
lso, if you go for 4GB RAM, make sure you pick a 64-bit version of Windows or you may find you can't actually use all 4GB, due to addressing limitations in the 32-bit version of Windows.
32-bit windows has a 4GB physically adress, so usually 1/2GB or so is lost due to other components memory (Video card). So its questionable if most people will see a benifit even over 2GB which is what mosts applications in windows XP can adress at the most. Ram is cheap these days so theres nothing really wrong with going with 4GB and using a 32bit, just in preperation for a transition to 64.

However, I would strongly disagree with going with a 64bit OS unless one is prepared for it. It can mean abandoning any current software. Also drivers for 64 are still scarce, and or poorly coded. If you build a computer and plan to use 64bit one should design the computer for that purpose itself. Be prepared to abandon older programs, not reuse old hardware. If your not the experience can be a nightmare in it of itself. Even if one is using "common hardware".
__________________
Sig never posted, because the mods would remove it for exceeding the size limit.
ashesatdusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-22, 07:21   Link #9
Furuno
Fuwaaa~~~
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Indonesia
Age: 25
Send a message via Yahoo to Furuno
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashesatdusk View Post
32-bit windows has a 4GB physically adress, so usually 1/2GB or so is lost due to other components memory (Video card). So its questionable if most people will see a benifit even over 2GB which is what mosts applications in windows XP can adress at the most. Ram is cheap these days so theres nothing really wrong with going with 4GB and using a 32bit, just in preperation for a transition to 64.

However, I would strongly disagree with going with a 64bit OS unless one is prepared for it. It can mean abandoning any current software. Also drivers for 64 are still scarce, and or poorly coded. If you build a computer and plan to use 64bit one should design the computer for that purpose itself. Be prepared to abandon older programs, not reuse old hardware. If your not the experience can be a nightmare in it of itself. Even if one is using "common hardware".
My friend use XP 64-bit. Altough (almost) all software he had before works just like old time. There still issues like sudden crash. However, this shouldn't be a lot of problem since the world is already shifting to 64-bit.

And for intercooler :
HKS Intercooler Kits > Give your computers more bhp so you can drag faster...
Lol, JK...
__________________

Check my Blog / Thread / Twitter for some random stuffs...
Furuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:03.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.