AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Macross

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-05-04, 02:04   Link #161
nutype
Future MD
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
ranka is actually the first loli character that's actually grown on me. Her voice person doing her voice is amazing and not in the league as the girl doing cheryl. I dont know how to put it.....her voice sounds sooo sweet that I actually enjoy listening to her pout and nag.
__________________
April 07 2009, accepted into medical school! Graduating in 2013!

You may call me Dr. Nutype from now on thanks!
nutype is offline  
Old 2008-05-04, 19:53   Link #162
SpaceDrake
This Is Part Of The Plan
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
I cannot believe I just noticed this.

Am I the only one who thinks that Ranka's eyes look very similar to the eyes that Sara and Mao have in Zero? HMMM.
SpaceDrake is offline  
Old 2008-05-04, 20:08   Link #163
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Leeds, UK
Age: 31
Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO Send a message via Skype™ to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutype View Post
ranka is actually the first loli character that's actually grown on me. Her voice person doing her voice is amazing and not in the league as the girl doing cheryl. I dont know how to put it.....her voice sounds sooo sweet that I actually enjoy listening to her pout and nag.
yeah me too.

I love her comparison with Minmay.



Minmay Pose!! Remember Love?



Ranka singing voice really does it for me too.

It's so fresh, its like we are seeing a contest between Macross 7 and Macross Plus singing style.

Who will win??!



Well, Ranka thinks she knows.



Victory!

:3


Who knows?

It's upon her staaaaaaar!



__________________
Onizuka-GTO is offline  
Old 2008-05-04, 20:37   Link #164
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Canada
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Felt like there was something special with Ranka singing. With the voice and poses really seems to come to life during those moments. Really is something when she gets singing and manages to step beyond that nervousness.
__________________
FlareKnight is offline  
Old 2008-05-04, 20:49   Link #165
ani_d
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 29
It all depends on the song they're singing. I admit, I didn't like Sheryl's voice when I first heard it, but after Diamond Crevasse, I appreciated her voice more. It fits her voice. When Sheryl's voice sang "What 'bout my star?", I thought it was a crappy song and didn't even recognize it as the same song Ranka sang at the mall. It's like Ranka gave life to it, and the song was really cute and fluffy lol It's one of those songs that you just can't get enough of.

And about Ranka's phone, she just turned it off, but it looked like it was KO'd. Other people don't like it, but I love that green thing. ^_^
ani_d is offline  
Old 2008-05-05, 18:05   Link #166
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post

As for surpassing Sheryl in any way would be a different matter altogether. She provides an excellent alternative, but comparing her to Sheryl is like comparing apples to oranges. I consider them both to be unique.

- Tak
Well unless Sheryl demonstrates the ability to bring the Vajra back from the dead, then Ranka has already surpassed her. That's going past Basara in ability.

Turning that cellphone off was too funny. I bet she wished that she could do that to Ozma.

Edit: I wonder if Ranka is not following in Mylene's footsteps. I mean Mylene has a CD coming out again of her singing Minmei tunes and Ranka's singing Minmei tunes and having similar gestures.
__________________

Last edited by orion; 2008-05-05 at 21:31.
orion is offline  
Old 2008-05-06, 00:29   Link #167
vision33r
Oldskool Otaku
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New York City
Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_d View Post
It all depends on the song they're singing. I admit, I didn't like Sheryl's voice when I first heard it, but after Diamond Crevasse, I appreciated her voice more. It fits her voice. When Sheryl's voice sang "What 'bout my star?", I thought it was a crappy song and didn't even recognize it as the same song Ranka sang at the mall. It's like Ranka gave life to it, and the song was really cute and fluffy lol It's one of those songs that you just can't get enough of.

And about Ranka's phone, she just turned it off, but it looked like it was KO'd. Other people don't like it, but I love that green thing. ^_^
I thought Sheryl's voice in "What 'bout my star?" was typical of those type of faster pace music. When you hear dance music on the radio, usually the vocal track is sped up to keep up with the tempo. The quality is not the same as just singing the song in Acappella.

Have you ever try holding a note while keeping up a 125bpm tempo? This is why dance music usually isn't about listening to the quality of each note being sung. You have to move as quickly as the melody shifts quickly as the tempo.

When Sheryl actually sings a normal tempo song, she is outstanding with Diamond Crevasse.

Her vocal range easily surpasses Ranka so far, I doubt Ranka can keep up with Sheryl in Diamond Crevasse.
vision33r is offline  
Old 2008-05-06, 01:04   Link #168
cerrian
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Her vocal range easily surpasses Ranka so far, I doubt Ranka can keep up with Sheryl in Diamond Crevasse.
Well to be fair with Ranka, so far we've only heard her sing 3 songs so far. They are "Aimo" in ep 2, "My Boyfriend is a Pilot" in ep 4, and "What About My Star" in ep 5.

Neither "Aimo" nor "My Boyfriend is a Pilot" required a significant vocal range from Ranka nor were either of them complex. Add to that the fact that the supporting music to both songs were "mild" and simplistic to say the least. "What 'bout My Star" is really the first time we've heard Ranka express a dynamic vocal range with a more complex melody.

Still, Sheryl's "Don't Be Late" and "Diamond Crevasse" blows Ranka's current performances out of the water. Let's hope that as Ranka matures into a more professional singer her songs will reflect that growth. As for Sheryl's "What 'bout My Star", it's been extremely difficult to make an opinion of it b/c it we haven't had a decent sample of it that hasn't been cut short or covered by chatter/sound effects.
cerrian is offline  
Old 2008-05-06, 01:50   Link #169
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Ranka probably could give Sheryl a run for her money and probably surpass her in the future. That would be why Sheryl wasn't looking too happy. (Revenge is a dish best served cold.) In that mall where Ranka was singing nobody noticed Sheryl's presence even with her sunglasses off. And the audience was fixated on Ranka's singing and actually was clapping to the song.

Up until now Ranka wasn't going at it in earnest and she was a little on the insecure side which got reflected in her singing. Ep. 5 is finally showing Ranka's true potential. (Michael's scheme backfired for a change.) Ranka is still at the starting gate and needs more performances under her belt to build up that confidence level.

"Diamond Crevasse" isn't that complicated either. Ranka prob could do it.
__________________
orion is offline  
Old 2008-05-06, 06:54   Link #170
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Why would Sheryl be unhappy with Ranka being popular? If anything her and Alto looked like proud parents (and Uncle Michael!) watching their daughter during that scene. Ranka wants to be like her, she went to Miss Macross inspired by her, she got a pep talk from her during Miss Macross and was told to follow in her footsteps. In addition to being the inspiration for it Sheryl's actually been the most supportive of Ranka musical career throughout the series so far.

I really don't know why you would take the following as being unhappy..

Sheryl "She finally came out of her shell. I said it before they come out on their own whim. *face changes* on their own whim..."

and than later on

"Heheh Ranka's becoming something too. Now I can go back to Galaxy without worrying".

Quote:
As for Sheryl's "What 'bout My Star", it's been extremely difficult to make an opinion of it b/c it we haven't had a decent sample of it that hasn't been cut short or covered by chatter/sound effects.
It's also sung in a completely different manner to the Ranka version.. as much as Rankas vocals wouldn't go with the Studio version of it (tempo/bpm of the studio version is way too fast) neither would Sheryl's go with the Live performance of it. Of course both singers would switch styles if they places were traded. Even though I like the Ranka version better I still really dig the Sharon Apple vibe of the Sheryl version.
Westlo is offline  
Old 2008-05-06, 10:07   Link #171
NoOneKnowS
Who am I?
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Babuyan Islands
Well its expected that Ranka's "What 'bout my star" version would be better than Sheryl's upbeat version. Ranaks version fits the mainstream listeners more. You know; the type of music thats very easy and light to hear. Unlike Sheryls' poppish ala Britney Spears version.
NoOneKnowS is offline  
Old 2008-05-06, 10:27   Link #172
cerrian
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
"Diamond Crevasse" isn't that complicated either. Ranka prob could do it.
It just occurred to me that I need to put up a disclaimer when I talk about Diamond Crevasse b/c I've been listening to the full version so my perception might be slightly warped in comparison to those that have only heard the ED version. BTW, the full version.....holy shit it's good...much more than just an extension of the ED version and it doesn't have any of those transition artifacts from ED to full mode that you notice with other OPs and EDs songs.

Back on topic with Ranka, I'm hoping that we get some original songs out of her soon now that it looks like she's going to be signed up.
cerrian is offline  
Old 2008-05-06, 12:03   Link #173
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
I want to see Ranka sing something original in a performance. At least we know that Sheryl writes her own stuff.
squaresphere is offline  
Old 2008-05-06, 21:31   Link #174
vision33r
Oldskool Otaku
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New York City
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerrian View Post
Well to be fair with Ranka, so far we've only heard her sing 3 songs so far. They are "Aimo" in ep 2, "My Boyfriend is a Pilot" in ep 4, and "What About My Star" in ep 5.

Neither "Aimo" nor "My Boyfriend is a Pilot" required a significant vocal range from Ranka nor were either of them complex. Add to that the fact that the supporting music to both songs were "mild" and simplistic to say the least. "What 'bout My Star" is really the first time we've heard Ranka express a dynamic vocal range with a more complex melody.

Still, Sheryl's "Don't Be Late" and "Diamond Crevasse" blows Ranka's current performances out of the water. Let's hope that as Ranka matures into a more professional singer her songs will reflect that growth. As for Sheryl's "What 'bout My Star", it's been extremely difficult to make an opinion of it b/c it we haven't had a decent sample of it that hasn't been cut short or covered by chatter/sound effects.
I believe the actual singer for Ranka is just acting amateurish for now. No question she still has range when you hear Ranka's version "What about my star" but it's still too premature to say Ranka's singing voice actress is weaker.

I do stress that if you listen closely to Sheryl and Ranka, Sheryl has several dimensions vocally than Ranka's teenage idol-ish voice.

One sounds like a lady and the other sounds like a girl.
vision33r is offline  
Old 2008-05-07, 08:05   Link #175
CaptGloval
New Macross soon
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Macross 30 Emigration Fleet
I think Ranka's the second one with Zentradi blood that seems to be prone to dissociative amnesia. I remember Guld in Macross plus having supressed memories as well. What could this imply? Dunno, maybe just that I'm thinking too much
CaptGloval is offline  
Old 2008-05-07, 08:47   Link #176
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Zentradis need to discover the culture of psychology?
__________________
God is on the side with the biggest cannon.

http://sining83.blogspot.com
evil|plushie is offline  
Old 2008-05-11, 20:53   Link #177
ani_d
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I believe the actual singer for Ranka is just acting amateurish for now. No question she still has range when you hear Ranka's version "What about my star" but it's still too premature to say Ranka's singing voice actress is weaker.

I do stress that if you listen closely to Sheryl and Ranka, Sheryl has several dimensions vocally than Ranka's teenage idol-ish voice.

One sounds like a lady and the other sounds like a girl.
Well, considering the fact that Ranka's VA won a National audition, of course she can do much better than what she's shown us so far. I'm pretty sure of it.

Ranka's dissociative amnesia is really intriguing though. I wonder if her personality will change if her old memories come back to her. I'm pretty interested to see some character development on her part.
ani_d is offline  
Old 2008-05-11, 22:21   Link #178
cerrian
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
You got to wonder though, if she regains her memories will it strengthen her or will she break first and then rebuild her resolve?
cerrian is offline  
Old 2008-05-11, 22:40   Link #179
ickem
シェリルの為に!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Why would Sheryl be unhappy with Ranka being popular? If anything her and Alto looked like proud parents (and Uncle Michael!) watching their daughter during that scene. Ranka wants to be like her, she went to Miss Macross inspired by her, she got a pep talk from her during Miss Macross and was told to follow in her footsteps. In addition to being the inspiration for it Sheryl's actually been the most supportive of Ranka musical career throughout the series so far.

I really don't know why you would take the following as being unhappy..

Sheryl "She finally came out of her shell. I said it before they come out on their own whim. *face changes* on their own whim..."

and than later on

"Heheh Ranka's becoming something too. Now I can go back to Galaxy without worrying".
What I got from her transition from being happy to being kind of melancholy was that she was remembering her own rise to fame. I figure that she didn't have the best childhood in the world.
ickem is offline  
Old 2008-05-11, 23:36   Link #180
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Yeah that's what I thought to as soon as I saw the subbed version, Sheryl was happy for Ranka and as episode 6 shows you're right about Sheryl's childhood.
Westlo is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:21.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.