AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-05-04, 14:20   Link #61
qtipbrit
Buddhajew
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Diego
Quote:
Originally Posted by wontaek View Post
I believe many of you misunderstood me. The 1,000+ Rabid Fan clubs are all purely Korean Fan Clubs. Hitman Reborn, Gintama, and Code Geass series are extremely popular with KOREAN FEMALE population. The problem is that these mostly-female fan clubs decided that they will support their favorite anime series by voting for any character from these in any moe tournament that appears in their radar. Since Japanese Saimoe is progenitor of these moe tournament, these fan clubs know about it well. The question is whether or not they decide to mobilize their immense MONETARY resources to vote in Japanese Saimoe. I know that if one of three fan club does decide to invest in the Saimoe, others will follow. It won't be more than an hour before Japanese Saimoe organizers will catch huge spike in voting for specific characters coming from Korea, and will decide to let it in unhindered if it is against someone they want to eliminate, or decide to ban all voting from Korea and some part of USA where these fan clubs have presence among Koreans residing in USA if it is against someone they hope to win. These fan clubs will become a perfect tool for the Saimoe organizer to manipulate the result in anyway they want to, IF they choose to do so.
Ah, I tend to group Korea and Japan together, since their SaiMoe tastes generally differ from ours (outside of Eastern Asia) so greatly.
But still, this does not bode well.
I don't see anyone voting for a Gintama character, and I'm told that Hitman Reborn isn't the moe'est of series, but 1000 votes in one direction could be a problem.

Still, Code Geass with its immense Japanese fanbase dropped early in Saimoe '07, so we're probabyly fine.
Spoiler for Code Geass characters in SaiMoe '07:

Holy crap, I was right!
Exactly ten characters from Code Geass!

And this was both a happy and sad day:
1位 1103票 Hinagiku @ Hayate no Gotoku!
2位 443票 Watarase Jun @ Happiness!
3位 321票 Byakudan Kagome @ Strawberry Panic
__________________
qtipbrit is offline  
Old 2008-05-04, 14:32   Link #62
Kagedanji
Doughy goodness. I think.
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Yomiko is not eligible because ROB is not eligible due to the fact that it was boardcast form 06/07 to 06/08.
So short animes just can't cut it? Those dates are incorrect anyway.
__________________
Kagedanji is offline  
Old 2008-05-04, 14:36   Link #63
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: uk, England
Age: 24
Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
@ qtipbrit92 ~ Well, the reason why I asked you to look into the bracket was to take a look at the tough line up the CG girls had. Popular as they I mean the series maybe, you have to measure that with the popularity with the other contestants in the bracket.

Using the info you linked up...

Quote:
Spoiler:
As you can see though, luck also plays a major role in this. The CG girls simply didn't have a chance with some of the opponents they were up against. But given that the series had time to grow, I believe that CG is now overall a stronger group than in the past.
__________________

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline  
Old 2008-05-04, 14:41   Link #64
Daniel E.
AniMexican!
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Monterrey N.L. Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtipbrit92 View Post
She wouldn't have if it wasn't for the foreign votes. Higurashi was and is still much more popular that Hayate outside of Japan.
A win is a win........ or so they say.

Either way, I wasn't trying to question your earlier comment, I was simply saying that series mojo helps out a lot of characters..... including the favorites around here.

So, I dont believe that C.C. only made it as far as she did on series mojo alone, just as I dont believe Shana making it as far on moe alone.
__________________
Daniel E. is offline  
Old 2008-05-04, 14:43   Link #65
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagedanji View Post
So short animes just can't cut it? Those dates are incorrect anyway.
oav/movies do qualify but to eligible that years Saimoe they need to have either been air or rls within the past year. which is form june to june. anything air afterward would qualify for next years saimoe and anything before would have qualify for last years saimoe.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline  
Old 2008-05-04, 14:51   Link #66
Ithekro
Space Battlecarrier
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 37
Quote:
And this was both a happy and sad day:
1位 1103票 Hinagiku @ Hayate no Gotoku!
2位 443票 Watarase Jun @ Happiness!
3位 321票 Byakudan Kagome @ Strawberry Panic
I'm going to assume happy because Hina won, and sad because Jun was knocked out of the contest. (Or is it sad because Jun got 443 votes more than he should have? I do wonder if I'd vote Jun, just as I question if I'd vote Mako-chan if he was in this sort of contest.)
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline  
Old 2008-05-04, 14:58   Link #67
qtipbrit
Buddhajew
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Diego
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagedanji View Post
So short animes just can't cut it? Those dates are incorrect anyway.
Yes, they have no chance. See Maria-sama ga Miteru.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
As you can see though, luck also plays a major role in this. The CG girls simply didn't have a chance with some of the opponents they were up against. But given that the series had time to grow, I believe that CG is now overall a stronger group than in the past.
My point exactly.

And if I recall correctly, Code Geass was being hailed the biggest thing since Gundam by the end of 2006, so it's clearly popular by now (not now, but then.)
Hopefully, the recent airing of Code Geass R2 won't change anything about that though.

Your point also works the other way:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
A win is a win........ or so they say.
Yeah, unfortunately, that's true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
Either way, I wasn't trying to question your earlier comment, I was simply saying that series mojo helps out a lot of characters..... including the favorites around here.

So, I dont believe that C.C. only made it as far as she did on series mojo alone, just as I dont believe Shana making it as far on moe alone.
Obviously .
If a character did well based on moe/GAR/loliness alone, Shana wouldn't have won SaiLoli, Souseiseki would have never been a runner up, and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann:SaiGAR::Code Geass:SaiMoe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I'm going to assume happy because Hina won, and sad because Jun was knocked out of the contest. (Or is it sad because Jun got 443 votes more than he should have? I do wonder if I'd vote Jun, just as I question if I'd vote Mako-chan if he was in this sort of contest.)
I'm happy because Hina sweeped, but I'm sad because the troll in me wants to see Jun progress.
__________________
qtipbrit is offline  
Old 2008-05-04, 15:03   Link #68
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtipbrit92 View Post
Eh, Negima is pretty popular, but it's safe to say that both tof the series and the two OVA's combined didn't sell half as well as Code Geass did.
Negima anime was not very popular but the Manga is extremely popular and still is. the negima characters got thier vote form the manga not the anime.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline  
Old 2008-05-04, 16:41   Link #69
Malkuth
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: London
Age: 34
Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
Let me fire things up, with some preliminary campaigning

All 104 eye-catches (high-res) + more images, my review and character synopsis for Hayate no Gotoku!

Mostly out of guilt for supporting Rika in the finals vs. Nagi

enjoy!
Malkuth is offline  
Old 2008-05-04, 17:01   Link #70
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: uk, England
Age: 24
Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
@qtipbrit92 ~ Well, measuring popularity is one thing but the genre is also something to be taken into context. I won't think that CG doesn't have any moe characters but it is just that their moeness is being outshone by other series (possibly ones which target moe traits, lots of romance series easily come into this if you compare it to a primary action series like CG). Like, even a CG fan could have voted against a CG character because they feel that their choice is more moe than the CG character, not to say that they don't feel that the CG isn't moe (I maybe a big fan of Nanali, but compared to Fate chan or Gin sama my choice is clear).
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtipbrit92 View Post
I'm happy because Hina sweeped, but I'm sad because the troll in me wants to see Jun progress.
Troll?

That is nonsense. We would have "all" wanted Jun to reach to the later rounds. She IS moe afterall
__________________

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline  
Old 2008-05-04, 17:20   Link #71
Kagedanji
Doughy goodness. I think.
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
oav/movies do qualify but to eligible that years Saimoe they need to have either been air or rls within the past year. which is form june to june. anything air afterward would qualify for next years saimoe and anything before would have qualify for last years saimoe.
So it can't qualify because it's old?
__________________
Kagedanji is offline  
Old 2008-05-04, 17:36   Link #72
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
One wonders how the Rozen Maiden factions will vote this year. They've had a notorious voting record so far. And last year their top three were defeated by: Louise (Gin), Tsukasa (Desu), and Rika (Shinku). (I doubt Sou's match was as highly rated even if she made it runner up in 2005).
The Gin faction can vote for Senko, as she is clone of Gin

Quote:

This will be Eva's first Saimoe showing. The NERV group may make itself a contender since some of their moe types have done well in past years.
2nd, Eva was part of the first Saimoe.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagedanji View Post
So it can't qualify because it's old?
yes
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline  
Old 2008-05-04, 17:58   Link #73
qtipbrit
Buddhajew
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Diego
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Let me fire things up, with some preliminary campaigning

All 104 eye-catches (high-res) + more images, my review and character synopsis for Hayate no Gotoku!

Mostly out of guilt for supporting Rika in the finals vs. Nagi

enjoy!
Oh my god, vote Klaus.

mm.. I actually hadn't seen Higurashi yet at the time, so I went with Nagi. haha, I was what... one of fifteen people?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
@qtipbrit92 ~ Well, measuring popularity is one thing but the genre is also something to be taken into context. I won't think that CG doesn't have any moe characters but it is just that their moeness is being outshone by other series (possibly ones which target moe traits, lots of romance series easily come into this if you compare it to a primary action series like CG). Like, even a CG fan could have voted against a CG character because they feel that their choice is more moe than the CG character, not to say that they don't feel that the CG isn't moe (I maybe a big fan of Nanali, but compared to Fate chan or Gin sama my choice is clear).
That's the truth. Every character can be moe in their own little way, it's just there are several characters that are widely moeful or even universally so (like Jun.)
Code Geass fans and KyoAni fans (outside of Japan) are usually positively rabid, but I'm a fan of KyoAni's stuff, and I hate vote their characters 80% of the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
Troll?

That is nonsense. We would have "all" wanted Jun to reach to the later rounds. She IS moe afterall
We can hope that Mako-chan will be included this year so we can rally behind it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagedanji View Post
So it can't qualify because it's old?
Why do you think people are so happy that Rozen Maiden is finally out?
__________________
qtipbrit is offline  
Old 2008-05-04, 18:34   Link #74
Kagedanji
Doughy goodness. I think.
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Well damn...

It's just that Readman's moe has seemed to go unnoticed and it needed praise. Of course people would cheer at RM's leave because there were too many fanboys who wouldn't walk away from it, making them suck up votes without losing suction.
__________________
Kagedanji is offline  
Old 2008-05-04, 20:21   Link #75
minhtam1638
Missing In Action
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bridgeport, CT
Age: 25
Send a message via AIM to minhtam1638 Send a message via Skype™ to minhtam1638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Yes, thank you for pointing this out, I don't know what I would do without your wisdom... My point is that because a contest is like this, it doesn't really make most people watch more anime. I only see it as something for fun, and hey I like to toss in my votes here and there in these things myself as it is fun. The reason I posted such a thing was because I once read a post by minhtam where he claimed that one big purpose of these tournaments was to promote anime that would otherwise not be watched. That is all.
Of course, it's just for fun, and that's the real reason I started that thing. But in order to explain why I spend almost six to twelve hours a day on running this thing, "just for fun" isn't really a valid statement, especially when you're trying to impress those who are not interested in anime at all (example: 95% of my family relatives). Hence why I came up with an essay of how running International Saimoe is beneficial to all parties more than "satisfying our anime primitive needs".

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtipbrit92 View Post
You're listening to Minhtam Nguyen, who hasn't seen about half of the series in which the characters of SaiMoe appear. As KholdSecks says, he is a "bad asian."
Um, thank you, Quan Tran, for revealing my identity to the rest of the world.

Also, while I admit that I haven't seen about half the anime titles that ISML currently represents, that doesn't mean I still won't have all of them in my head by the time it is over. While anime plays a big part of my life, I really wouldn't consider it as the most important factor in my life, and I try to focus as much as I can on my education and real life. Still, since I have started ISML, I've made an effort to watch as many of these titles as I can - I've finished Hayate no Gotoku just recently, and whoever ends up winning Topaz or gets a higher standing on it will probably be my next target after the conclusion of finals, the exception being Clannad, since I've got that down and am merely waiting on the final episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wontaek View Post
The biggest variable is how much banning will there be in Saimoe2008. I know that there is a fan club of Hitman Reborn that boosts of more than 1,000 member which became very active in various moe tournaments recently, and another fan club of similar number for the Gintama that became arch-rival of the Hitman group in these moe tournaments in Korea. There also is a smaller, but just as rabid fan club for Code Geass as well. These groups have openly vowed to dominate any moe tournament they can find, which would mean hundreds of votes for any character that appeared in REborn, Code Geass, or Gintama series coming from Korea, which translates to Saimoe actively banning most outside-Japan votes almost from the start. How the ban will be handled will decide majority of the matches as they could easily ban any region not voting the way they want, while allowing the votes from region that have the preference they desire.
Now that you mention it, there is a way that Japan can attempt to avoid counting international votes almost entirely. Simply put - get a list of Japan IP addresses, code it so that only those IP addresses will be registered upon voting, and release the results in that manner. Although the world who wants to participate in AST (I now use Anime Saimoe Tournament to refer to "Saimoe", as ISML could cause confusion) will be against it in general, as you say - votes can be skewered, and Saimoe will continue to actively ban votes.

If I were 2ch, I'd just accept all votes so long as they don't translate to suspected proxy banning and multi-voting. It takes me hours to figure out who is actually cheating, not factoring figuring out where each vote is coming from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
If ISML is any indication of the amount of "foriegn" voters in Saimoe, we are looking at 600+ voters from outside Japan verses about 3,000+ Japanese voters. 1:5 isn't all that much as it stands now, but it is enough to tip the balance in tight matches. Now if the more rabid 1,000+ fans groups start voting as well, then the equation will be vastly different.

At least the KyoAni factions seem more randomly scattered. While there may be some orginized fan groups, most encountered KyoAni fans so far have been on their own. That and there are several that cross fan lines for whatever reason and don't blindly vote for a single faction. They also seem to be the one faction that likes to have fun with their matches (Yuki vs. Mikuru (also vs. Haruhi, vs. everyone else and the cricket). The only other character I've seen that is about as fun to vote with or for is Rena Ryugu. And that's only because the "Take Home" mentality works great for Saimoe. "So many cute things....I'm going to take them home!"
Which translates to whoever is doing well in ISML is expected to get more than 10%, maximum 16.7%, of the vote. This is also the reason why I try to do as much as I can to increase interest so that at some point, a Japanese translator who understands English comes by, and I will be able to ask to translate various parts of the website, which is currently three months behind schedule, thanks in part to schoolwork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wontaek View Post
I believe many of you misunderstood me. The 1,000+ Rabid Fan clubs are all purely Korean Fan Clubs. Hitman Reborn, Gintama, and Code Geass series are extremely popular with KOREAN FEMALE population. The problem is that these mostly-female fan clubs decided that they will support their favorite anime series by voting for any character from these in any moe tournament that appears in their radar. Since Japanese Saimoe is progenitor of these moe tournament, these fan clubs know about it well. The question is whether or not they decide to mobilize their immense MONETARY resources to vote in Japanese Saimoe. I know that if one of three fan club does decide to invest in the Saimoe, others will follow. It won't be more than an hour before Japanese Saimoe organizers will catch huge spike in voting for specific characters coming from Korea, and will decide to let it in unhindered if it is against someone they want to eliminate, or decide to ban all voting from Korea and some part of USA where these fan clubs have presence among Koreans residing in USA if it is against someone they hope to win. These fan clubs will become a perfect tool for the Saimoe organizer to manipulate the result in anyway they want to, IF they choose to do so.
Don't worry, as the International Saimoe administrator who opens just about anybody with open arms, the only way I manipulate results is by programming codes and equations, which translates to data and statistics. Otherwise, I would purposely eliminate votes to end up having a Tomoyo vs. Shana overtime match in an attempt to boost the amount of visitors on the website.
minhtam1638 is offline  
Old 2008-05-04, 20:39   Link #76
Ithekro
Space Battlecarrier
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 37
What years was Readman on the air (or is it only an OVA)? I don't see her in the 2006 or 2007 Saimoes...so either she is from before that, or she didn't make it past the nomination (or however they do it) phase.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline  
Old 2008-05-05, 00:08   Link #77
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtipbrit92 View Post
Ah, I tend to group Korea and Japan together, since their SaiMoe tastes generally differ from ours (outside of Eastern Asia)
you will fine moe taste differ especially among easter asian country.

And a piece of advise, don't ever say to someone form japan or Korea or China that. Japanese and korean are the same or Japanese or Chinese are the same. If they are polite you will only receive a dirty look if they are not polite you will get a punch in the face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
What years was Readman on the air (or is it only an OVA)? I don't see her in the 2006 or 2007 Saimoes...so either she is from before that, or she didn't make it past the nomination (or however they do it) phase.
Read or Die OAV was late 90s (98 or 99) and tv series was 01 or 02.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline  
Old 2008-05-05, 00:28   Link #78
qtipbrit
Buddhajew
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Diego
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
you will fine moe taste differ especially among easter asian country.

And a piece of advise, don't ever say to someone form japan or Korea or China that. Japanese and korean are the same or Japanese or Chinese are the same. If they are polite you will only receive a dirty look if they are not polite you will get a punch in the face.
I'm Asian, and I'm not Chinese, Korean, or Japanese, so what would I do? :
Quote:
Originally Posted by minhtam2448 View Post
Um, thank you, Quan Tran, for revealing my identity to the rest of the world.
And you're welcome.

I also was mostly noting that Korea and Japan both seemed to support Hayate, Nanoha (to some extent), and Rozen Maiden among others, while people outside tend to vote KyoAni, Higurashi, and others.
Of course, Korean voters and Japanese voters vote very differently as well, especially regarding KyoAni. Haruhi gets too much hate in Japan, and Lucky Star doesn't do quite as well in Korea.
__________________
qtipbrit is offline  
Old 2008-05-05, 04:27   Link #79
EternalNite
Devil Of The Nite
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Send a message via MSN to EternalNite
I jus hope the nanoha gals make it to top 10 like last year(jus any one of them). Since this is their last year here. Without the dolls around, competition might b ezier. N who knows, with so many new anime airing this year, some of them might pwn the oldies. We will nv know the result until the real thing. Even if popularity might win over age, i still don think its predictable for the result right now.
EternalNite is offline  
Old 2008-05-05, 04:48   Link #80
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: uk, England
Age: 24
Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtipbrit92 View Post
Of course, Korean voters and Japanese voters vote very differently as well, especially regarding KyoAni. Haruhi gets too much hate in Japan, and Lucky Star doesn't do quite as well in Korea.
I'm surprised to hear you say that Haruhi gets hate in Japan. Even if that were true there will always be a "faction" of loyalists
But Korea's tastes can flux around so I'm not surprised if L*S isn't doing well there
__________________

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
saimoe

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:23.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.