AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Lucky Star

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-05-05, 12:40   Link #1
NeoSam
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Age: 33
The moe 4-panel manga Lucky☆Star (らき☆すた) by Yoshimizu Kagami will be getting an OVA adaptation.

The OVA adaptaion will be announced in the June 2008 issue of the bishoujo magazine Comptiq (which will be officially released on May 10, 2008).

==========

らき☆すた
Lucky☆Star

The Lucky☆Star manga is currently serialized in the bishoujo magazine Comptiq.
Currently there are 5 volumes released of the manga.

Covers of available manga volumes can be seen here.

Genre: Shounen/Seinen, Comedy

==========

Source: MoonPhase diary

Wiki entry:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucky_Star_(manga)
__________________
NeoSam is offline  
Old 2008-05-05, 16:10   Link #2
xris
Just call me Ojisan
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: U.K. Hampshire
This thread is to discuss your expectations of the new Lucky Star OVA and to speculate as to what story elements will be used.

Source: MoonPhase Diary.

A discussion thread will be created when the OVA is about to be released (at this time AnimeSuki will consider it unlicensed) so please use this thread to discuss your expectations of the announced OVA.
xris is offline  
Old 2008-05-05, 16:30   Link #3
Rembr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
If it's true, it'll probably be more of the same of the later episodes as opposed to the earlier ones, where they fiddled with character interaction and personal situations.
Rembr is offline  
Old 2008-05-05, 21:14   Link #4
Lucky_Day
Living Lucky Legend
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: United States
The later episodes offer a greater character selection than the earlier ones because more characters were introduced in the second half of the series. All of the character will probably be featured but I expect it to remain focused on Konata, Kagami, Tsukasa, and Miyuki. For the Lucky Channel segment, I expect Minoru, and maybe even Akira, to become part of the regular show. They will not be main characters, but part of the show nevertheless.

I would love to see a teenaged boy, possibly Minoru, call one of the main characters, probably Konata, over the phone pretending to be a girl about Yutaka's age. During the call he sets her up on a date with himself. What Minoru did not count on is she has genuine feelings for the "girl who never was". Realizing he can not hide what he has done, Minoru confesses and discovers that he is a "lucky star". This is what I would like to see but I sincerely doubt it will happen. The idea might make a good Lucky Star fanfic if I decide to take the time and effort to write one.
Lucky_Day is offline  
Old 2008-05-06, 00:12   Link #5
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
I'd be perfectly fine with no Lucky*Channel (or an abbreviated bit with Akira just ranting about the time and then running out of time).

I'd really rather *not* see any anime-only material (I got plenty of that during the series). I'd like to see elements of and sketches from volume 4 or 5 animated at least.
Vexx is offline  
Old 2008-05-06, 00:23   Link #6
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 29
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I'd be perfectly fine with no Lucky*Channel (or an abbreviated bit with Akira just ranting about the time and then running out of time).

I'd really rather *not* see any anime-only material (I got plenty of that during the series). I'd like to see elements of and sketches from volume 4 or 5 animated at least.
Magic 8-Ball says...........................

Spoiler:


I guess I could theoretically blog this, I'm just not expecting terribly much beyond what the TV Series had to offer, which started off interesting and then just.....well....................
Kaioshin Sama is offline  
Old 2008-05-06, 07:37   Link #7
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hawaii
Age: 27
I'm just wondering if this OVA will take place after their graduation or shift focus to the underclassmen of Lucky*Star (frick, I have forgotten their names!!!0_0).
It would be cool to see what they're up to after high school...I might be a bit disappointed if its set somewhere in between any of the series episode.

So this may be obvious already, but Kyoto Animations will be doing this project right?
just checking....
__________________
Ultima_Rasengan05 is offline  
Old 2008-05-06, 10:22   Link #8
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultima_Rasengan05 View Post
So this may be obvious already, but Kyoto Animations will be doing this project right?
just checking....
That is the most important question. Most probably. If not, then it's possible our friend Kaioshin might finally give his two thumbs up. (Nah just kidding KS, I still love ya. )

Anyway, OVAs are probably the best way to keep the franchise suitably milked and keep LS fans happily sedated without having to suffer from withdrawal symptoms as the Haruhiists are suffering already.

Already from the anime series, LS's 4-koma style and "slice of life" theme has allowed the writers to adapt things freely at their own pace without being too constrained by the pace of the original by Yoshimizu.
__________________
哀莫大於心死。
我對這裡的管理員的霸道與毫無準則的執法行為感到徹底失望﹗

It was fun while it lasted.
Kinny Riddle is offline  
Old 2008-05-06, 12:43   Link #9
Dee Eon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boulder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky_Day View Post
The later episodes offer a greater character selection than the earlier ones because more characters were introduced in the second half of the series. All of the character will probably be featured but I expect it to remain focused on Konata, Kagami, Tsukasa, and Miyuki. For the Lucky Channel segment, I expect Minoru, and maybe even Akira, to become part of the regular show. They will not be main characters, but part of the show nevertheless.

I would love to see a teenaged boy, possibly Minoru, call one of the main characters, probably Konata, over the phone pretending to be a girl about Yutaka's age. During the call he sets her up on a date with himself. What Minoru did not count on is she has genuine feelings for the "girl who never was". Realizing he can not hide what he has done, Minoru confesses and discovers that he is a "lucky star". This is what I would like to see but I sincerely doubt it will happen. The idea might make a good Lucky Star fanfic if I decide to take the time and effort to write one.

Greetings!

You pop an interesting question: for any anime series past or present, has fanfiction/doujinshi ever been tapped as original resource material? The slightest hint I heard is a fanfiction writer was contacted by an animation house was for Ramna 1/2. My dad recalls that one or two fans actually had their scripts produced for the old Star Trek show, so I guess it's not impossible. I'm just a babe in the woods, but my best guess with L*S is that the OVA is a season 2 surrogate, especially what the American market. IMO L*S's humor is far too sublime for action/blood&guts driven anime America (even the PPG was like that), and I regret L*S would have as much chance here as the few romance anime there is. From what I hear on-line, outfits as the Cartoon Network weren't exactly hopping up and down over L*S at the NY Comics show. I think we might have to rest content with L*S continuing on as DVDS instead of a season two.

IF a season two, how to "adapt" L*S for America? I agree with Vexx: prune out the heavy anime and Jap product/TV references for starters. Maybe if you substituted such with American counterparts it might work, but the work involved would probably be prohibitive. So, back to basics; drill the manga itself as source material. If we go that route, then how far could that original material get you? I haven't seen any L*S mangas past volume one so I don't know roughly how many mangas packs one episode, but judging from volume one you might be able to put away what two or three per episode? Also remember the series stuffed a lot of scenes that weren't in the manga too, like the beach thing. Can you exhaust all L*S manga source material before you finish a full second season? I dunno. (If it does, then it begs the wild imagination of what a latter second or even a wistful third season might be like; almost all non-Yoshimizu material? That might even be good thing!) I think the OVA route avoids all this via drips and dabs of manga on a DVD and maybe that's how L*S will continue on (at least for Americans).

Maybe another thing going against a season two (here) is unless you make it a literal extension of season one, you either have to frequently flash over to the antics of the original quad in college or hope the "new group" can win over the hearts and minds of their fans, but I don't see that (unless they do a "Dallas" with season two with the original crew). Many fans have their faves welded to the first girls, and outside some yori teases, this new group to me doesn't feel all that unique or interesting (except perhaps Hiyori and one-foot-in-the-grave Yu-chan) to really grab a fandom. It might be necessary to go the Twilight Zone route a'la Yamato to really make a pure high school L*S season two interesting (hey, it sounds crazy, but those in the know would know that even "serious" and earthy daytime soap operas used to dip some pretty freaky and weird stuff to spice up the series!). Neither is trapping the quad in high school for another run (as "super seniors"?) out of the question after all, we never got to their graduation! My stop's coming up so gotta close up.

Well, IMHO. Then I could be like Tsukasa ALL wrong!!

Take care burning all!

Dee
("Miyuki's Spaced-Out Secret," "Kanata's Dream," "Kanata Thawed.")
Dee Eon is offline  
Old 2008-05-06, 15:47   Link #10
FireChick
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
A Lucky Star OVA!? Are you SERIOUS!? What the flip!? I wanna see this!! When does it comes out!?
FireChick is offline  
Old 2008-05-06, 20:02   Link #11
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hawaii
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
That is the most important question. Most probably. If not, then it's possible our friend Kaioshin might finally give his two thumbs up. (Nah just kidding KS, I still love ya. )
I guess we'll all find out who will be doing this project when that issue of Comptiq comes out. I think for sure, Kyoto Animations will be taking in this project, but who knows.
I enjoyed Lucky*Star, but I hope the story of this OVA will be after episode 24.
__________________
Ultima_Rasengan05 is offline  
Old 2008-05-06, 22:07   Link #12
klowny
OH NO
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: New York
Age: 23
i heard about this but isn't this a spin off on kagami?
klowny is offline  
Old 2008-05-06, 22:44   Link #13
Magedark
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Well it's speculation for now as the Comptiq magazine with all the information isn't out yet.
Magedark is offline  
Old 2008-05-07, 11:40   Link #14
g0o
d(*⌒▽⌒*)b
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Moenila
Age: 24
I read somewhere on the net that according to Moonphase Diary, (http://d.hatena.ne.jp/moonphase/), the release of the OVA is scheduled already this summer.

I can't read japanese so I'm not sure if this is official or not... Anyways, if this turned out to be true then 2 of my favorite Slice of life shows (Hidamari Sketch and Lucky Star) will be airing at the same time!!

I am really looking forward to this year's summer season!!
g0o is offline  
Old 2008-05-07, 18:23   Link #15
nanafan
horo fan
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: missouri, usa
Age: 29
i heard about a possible ova, but didn't know that it would happen. i wonder if it will be a retelling of lucky star or continue where the series left off.
__________________

All my little plans and schemes, lost like some forgotten dreams, seems like all i really was doing was waiting for you..-Real Love
nanafan is offline  
Old 2008-05-07, 18:40   Link #16
Mecha_Trueno
餓鬼に興味ない、俺の好みは年上の美女だ
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Shitty old London. They must've been on drugs when they built this place, WTF were they smoking!!!
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Eon View Post
Maybe another thing going against a season two (here) is unless you make it a literal extension of season one, you either have to frequently flash over to the antics of the original quad in college or hope the "new group" can win over the hearts and minds of their fans, but I don't see that (unless they do a "Dallas" with season two with the original crew). Many fans have their faves welded to the first girls, and outside some yori teases, this new group to me doesn't feel all that unique or interesting (except perhaps Hiyori and one-foot-in-the-grave Yu-chan) to really grab a fandom. It might be necessary to go the Twilight Zone route a'la Yamato to really make a pure high school L*S season two interesting (hey, it sounds crazy, but those in the know would know that even "serious" and earthy daytime soap operas used to dip some pretty freaky and weird stuff to spice up the series!). Neither is trapping the quad in high school for another run (as "super seniors"?) out of the question – after all, we never got to their graduation! My stop's coming up so gotta close up.
are you saying that the focus will move away from the original four (since they will graduate) and concentrate on yuu-chan's group?
amai.... the REAL problem: you really think konata and tsukasa will manage to graduate? they're gonna end up repeating lol
__________________

禁則事項です
Mecha_Trueno is offline  
Old 2008-05-08, 00:42   Link #17
Lucky_Day
Living Lucky Legend
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: United States
If Konata and Tsukasa failing was the only way to keep them in the OAV, it would definitely happen. I would say they might end up in summer school, but the Japanese school year is different. Do they even have a way to repeat a failed course without repeating the entire year?
__________________
Lucky_Day is offline  
Old 2008-05-08, 01:13   Link #18
Narumi
Senior Member
*Fansubber
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultima_Rasengan05 View Post
So this may be obvious already, but Kyoto Animations will be doing this project right?
just checking....
Yes, they are.
__________________
Fate is something you don't toy with.
Narumi is offline  
Old 2008-05-08, 02:04   Link #19
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 29
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narumi View Post
Yes, they are.
Source please?
Kaioshin Sama is offline  
Old 2008-05-08, 02:20   Link #20
Jin and Toanic
Vide supra
*Fansubber
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Source please?
Narumi is lying because an inside source has told me that Deen is doing it.

Spoiler:
Jin and Toanic is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
comedy, kadokawa, kyoto animation, moe, otaku, ova, school life, seinen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:09.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.