AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Macross

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-05-10, 02:10   Link #21
Burner of Anime
Illegal Additives
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
In addition, A Zentradi vessel that's transformed to micro-sized crew would have much more room to work with, less food and other support requirements, and the crew can access areas that the giants couldn't before.
Food is unlikely to be an issue when all zentradi ships come equiped with a near 1:1 ratio biochemical converter they call a miclone chamber.

Not sure how the end result would taste though. One of the biggest reasons for mass scale zentradi revolt is the many thousand of years they've had to deal with nutritious but crap tasting junk
Burner of Anime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-10, 02:25   Link #22
ReddyRedWolf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Standard MRE's huh? (meals rejected by the enemy)

Speaking of food. It has come to my attention the restaurants and franchises in the Macross fleets.

Macross 7 had those classy 5 star restaurants and bars.

Macross Frontier has chinese food franchise of Minmei's parents. From a single restaurant in Macross city to interstellar franchising. Minmei's little brother must be filthy rich.

Not to mention those Starbucks like coffee shops.

I'm still waiting for visual confirmation that Pizza Hut managed to survive Earth's destruction.
ReddyRedWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-10, 03:27   Link #23
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
That may be true, but that means reconfiguring some millions of vessels in UN SPACY, as they were all configured for giants. Not an economically feasible matter, if you ask me.

- Tak
Just reconfigure the ones you need for space exploration and colonisation. And if you really need need a giant body, you can use a giant mech. Or macronize again - but having a leisure industry for giants makes little sense.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-10, 07:00   Link #24
Inquisidor
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mexico, D. F.
Send a message via MSN to Inquisidor
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
YF-22 Strumvogell
Err it's YF-21, and Sturmvogel II. But, as far as I remember the YF-19 and YF-21 didn't have any nicknames, just project Super Nova. The official nicknames were given to their mass production versions, the VF-19 Excalibur and VF-22 Sturmvogel II. A lot of the stuff in Macross parallels real aeronautical stuff because of Kawamori, you can compare it to the YF-22 vs YF-23 turned into the F-22 Raptor or the X-32 vs X-35 JSF for the F-35 Lightning II.
Inquisidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-10, 09:34   Link #25
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Neu Herzogtum Zeon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Just reconfigure the ones you need for space exploration and colonisation. And if you really need need a giant body, you can use a giant mech. Or macronize again - but having a leisure industry for giants makes little sense.
They do this, absolutely, but even those 'reconfigured' vessels require a large hose of Zent battleships as escort, usually numbering in the hundreds, if not thousands, and would be troublesome to covert them all.

Moreover, the Zents were born as giants. They like being giants and they prefer the right of being giants despite now part of the UN SPACY. A lot of Zents tend to feel offended if they were forced to miclone forever. With the sole exception to Earth, every colony and planet of the UN SPACY have facilities for both Zents and humans.

Not to mention a lot of Zents find it inconvenient to convert, and since most vessels, and I mean, an overwhelming number of ships in UN SPACY are of Zent origin, configured to house giants, there just wasn't much of a reason to miclone themselves. You raised the point about putting giant mechs in these vessels, but I doubt the economic feasibility of that once it goes beyond single digits of ships.

It might not look like it, but humans, us miclones, are actually a MINORITY in the Macross world, and within UN SPACY, even.

- Tak
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-10, 10:09   Link #26
Zekori
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Standard MRE's huh? (meals rejected by the enemy)
Don't you mean "Meal's Ready-to-Eat" ?
Zekori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-10, 10:34   Link #27
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
They do this, absolutely, but even those 'reconfigured' vessels require a large hose of Zent battleships as escort, usually numbering in the hundreds, if not thousands, and would be troublesome to covert them all.

Moreover, the Zents were born as giants. They like being giants and they prefer the right of being giants despite now part of the UN SPACY. A lot of Zents tend to feel offended if they were forced to miclone forever. With the sole exception to Earth, every colony and planet of the UN SPACY have facilities for both Zents and humans.

Not to mention a lot of Zents find it inconvenient to convert, and since most vessels, and I mean, an overwhelming number of ships in UN SPACY are of Zent origin, configured to house giants, there just wasn't much of a reason to miclone themselves. You raised the point about putting giant mechs in these vessels, but I doubt the economic feasibility of that once it goes beyond single digits of ships.

It might not look like it, but humans, us miclones, are actually a MINORITY in the Macross world, and within UN SPACY, even.

- Tak
Maybe working Zentrady vessels does require giants (I'm not totally convinced of that, but whatever.), but, well, when it comes to things outside of work... Like eating. A Zentrady sized sandwich would have to be reinforced with steel, or it'd fall apart. And clothes, which have already been mentioned. And movie theaters places. Or real estate. Everything would be much more expansive.

It'd be different if going back and forth was difficult and they had to choose once and for all, but Klan seems to show it isn't so (her lolification notwithstanding.)
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-10, 11:45   Link #28
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Neu Herzogtum Zeon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
A Zentrady sized sandwich would have to be reinforced with steel, or it'd fall apart. And clothes, which have already been mentioned. And movie theaters places. Or real estate. Everything would be much more expansive.

It'd be different if going back and forth was difficult and they had to choose once and for all, but Klan seems to show it isn't so (her lolification notwithstanding.)
I think there had been an undocumented agreement that Zents should miclone in certain areas of the colonies. Giants however, are obviously banned from Earth save for probably one certain supreme commander of the UN SPACY.

Obviously due to what you stated about simple economics. As for food consumption, fortunately, I've not spotted one Zent eating in Town Folmo, because imagine what'd happen if the food drops on ya. I'd imagine they miclone if they wish to consume human food. Back in the good ol' days, Zents probably get food 'stuffs' pipped down their throats. It wasn't until the Zents micloned themselves did they first tasted human food. So I would imagine them having to miclone before eating a proper meal. Ie. Quran Quran.

Still, its a pride issue. A lot of Zents felt their pride being stripped away for having to miclone themselves, and that pride is often the source of many rebellions occurring around territories occupied by the UN SPACY. After all, the Zents had conquered many worlds, and with each world they've never micloned themselves. We also cannot assume that every inhabitable planet is specifically tailored for humans. Obviously the need for giants still exist.

- Tak
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-11, 00:30   Link #29
ReddyRedWolf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
While we are discussing economics of human-Zentradi colonies.

I have noticed I haven't seen from Macross Plus to Macross 7 and in Macross Frontier of anybody using cash.

Assuming that physical tender is obsolete then they may in fact use a electronic currency system.
ReddyRedWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-11, 01:37   Link #30
Wesley84
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
While we are discussing economics of human-Zentradi colonies.

I have noticed I haven't seen from Macross Plus to Macross 7 and in Macross Frontier of anybody using cash.

Assuming that physical tender is obsolete then they may in fact use a electronic currency system.
There's one reason an electronic system wouldn't be preferable; foreginers. Sheryl would be broke as soon as she left Galaxy if all her wealth was filed away electronically. That is assuming they can't update credit information real-time between the colonies, which I don't know if there's any evidence of them being able to do so.

It's really kind of hard to say since Macross is more culture centric, rather concerning itself with economic sense. Like a popular restaurant chain seen in the first Macross series is seen on a colony in a later one. Is this evidence of a small buisiness expanding itself or a cultural icon moving with it's people?

The fact that many giant Zentradi are accomdated for, and not just small goods and merchandise, but an entire humongous mall built to their size, indicates that on Frontier at least, they prefer cultured living.
Wesley84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-11, 01:44   Link #31
ReddyRedWolf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Well ther is such a thing as the Galaxy Network.

So I'm assuming it sends more than just TV signals.

In fact fold communications can be done real time as seen in Macross 7.

Also there is such a thing as smart cards.
ReddyRedWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-11, 03:32   Link #32
Wesley84
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Well ther is such a thing as the Galaxy Network.

So I'm assuming it sends more than just TV signals.

In fact fold communications can be done real time as seen in Macross 7.

Also there is such a thing as smart cards.
And the courier sent by Galaxy? That's why I assumed there was no such thing. Even accounting for jamming, no signal at all would indicate a problem, though I guess it remains to be seen if they knew something was wrong, and the courier fills in the details.

What's a "smart card"?
Wesley84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-11, 03:44   Link #33
ReddyRedWolf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Smart cards or ICC or integrated circuit cards. Those chips you find in credit cards, phone cards, ID cards etc.

Smart cards are also be utilized as reloadable wallets.
ReddyRedWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-11, 04:26   Link #34
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Communications don't have to be instantaneous for banks to work together.

At worst, banking information can be hand carried at regular intervals. I don't see what the problem is.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-11, 07:41   Link #35
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Leeds, UK
Age: 31
Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO Send a message via Skype™ to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
There's one reason an electronic system wouldn't be preferable; foreginers. Sheryl would be broke as soon as she left Galaxy if all her wealth was filed away electronically. That is assuming they can't update credit information real-time between the colonies, which I don't know if there's any evidence of them being able to do so.

It's really kind of hard to say since Macross is more culture centric, rather concerning itself with economic sense. Like a popular restaurant chain seen in the first Macross series is seen on a colony in a later one. Is this evidence of a small buisiness expanding itself or a cultural icon moving with it's people?

The fact that many giant Zentradi are accomdated for, and not just small goods and merchandise, but an entire humongous mall built to their size, indicates that on Frontier at least, they prefer cultured living.
There is such a thing as decentralized banking, I'm certain that the basic banking information for clients, especially ones as famous as Sheryl, will have off fleet accounts, preferably with reliable on-planet banking facilities, perhaps Eden or even Earth.

It makes sense, that if you can do it here on earth then no doubt they would think in the Macross Universe the concept of "backing up" is probably one of the most religiously followed proceedure for any thing, just in case some aliens crash your pad and exterminates everyone and everything...

....yeeeaah unlikely. but you know those Macross humans, so paranoid

__________________
Onizuka-GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-11, 23:29   Link #36
stormy001_M1A2
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
I do wonder how they manage Zentran waste though. That city ship has to be damn big, at least size of Singapore or more.
__________________
stormy001_M1A2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-11, 23:36   Link #37
Haesslich
Go to DMC! Go to DMC!
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy001_M1A2 View Post
I do wonder how they manage Zentran waste though. That city ship has to be damn big, at least size of Singapore or more.
That's easy - they recycle everything, including the dead. Given that the technology to do so exists with the micloning chambers, biological wastes aren't as much of an issue, and they're pretty much a complete closed system with regards to organics. Plus the Zentradi had food manufacturing tech which created sustenance from chemical components, IIRC, which was part of why human restaurants were such a shock to people who were probably used to drinking three meals a day.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-12, 07:23   Link #38
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Leeds, UK
Age: 31
Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO Send a message via Skype™ to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
IIRC, which was part of why human restaurants were such a shock to people who were probably used to drinking three meals a day.

what? we drink meals now? MRE?!!!!!

__________________
Onizuka-GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-12, 07:26   Link #39
Tabris
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Age: 26
Get dinner. Throw in a blender, and enjoy your meat&veg smoothie
Tabris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-12, 08:49   Link #40
zetsubou-san
suicidal self-flagellator
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
This reminds me of a certain episode of a particular series where strawberry short cake became strawberry smoothie
zetsubou-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:56.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.