AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Macross

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier - Episode 06 Rating
Perfect 10 56 39.44%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 48 33.80%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 23 16.20%
7 out of 10 : Good 13 9.15%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.70%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.70%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-05-11, 17:14   Link #101
Zekori
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Yeah. That damn Ozma is totally jinxing his squad, here.

OTOH, Alto's insured his own safety. (Not that he needs it, being the male lead.) I'm not talking about Sheryl's lucky charm. I'm talking about his lie to Ranka. No way is he dying before being confronted by her about it.
to be honest, he sorta had a good reason not too. While Ranka and Mikhail/Micheal know about Sheryl, I'm assuming the other two don't. Besides at a public place going "Yeah, I was cruising town with so-and-so idol" would only bring further problems, and I'm sure given the Alto's personality he would have avoided any further issues generated from answering.

Quote:
See that table Alto & gang were sitting at celebrating Ranka's signing? Need to get one of those tables for myself.
Ditto, I think I could tap that table for about a month before getting bored.
Zekori is offline  
Old 2008-05-11, 17:31   Link #102
Ashlotte
Clockwork
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerrian View Post
See that table Alto & gang were sitting at celebrating Ranka's signing? Need to get one of those tables for myself.
Heh yea perfect piece of furniture to have some low key fun with.

And damn this episode...I was supposed to be a Ranka fan, but the consecutive Sherly episodes coupled with the earring are seriously devastating my resolve...bah.

Still was a really great set-up episode...Waiting for the next ones gonna be painful...
__________________

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline  
Old 2008-05-11, 17:31   Link #103
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
He could have said he was sightseeing with a friend.
Anh_Minh is offline  
Old 2008-05-11, 17:53   Link #104
Wesley84
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Why did Alto lie? Because he was at the mall with Sheryl. THE Sheryl. Bad enough Michael was hazing him about it, he didn't want to compound the misunderstandings further with Ranka. He wanted to spare himself the grief of being in a celebrity's shadow.

And need I remind the reason he went to the mall in the first place was because he spotted Ranka getting on the train?

I thought the interview with Sheryl was pretty typical of what you'd get out of any celebrity's interview. The reporters asked her some dumb questions, questions that would have been better asked of a politician or someone knowledgeable, not a celebrity who had a personal attachment to the current crisis. And she answered them like you'd expect a celebrity to answer; inconsiderately.

She shouldn't have take any questions. She should have left it at thanks, maybe make a statement along the lines of only having eachother to depend upon while traveling through space, and that if it was the other way around, Galaxy would have come to Frontier's aid. She didn't need to act indignant and to declare her intention of committing an empty gesture of solidarity.

I think the earring thing was resolved too quickly. Sure, it was inserted in after the pilot episode to give Sheryl a reason to stalk Alto, but it ended up feeling forced, especially when Alto hanged the earring up in his cockpit. That seemed out of character of him, doubly so when he was smiling at the darn thing.

And her admitting to being alone on Galaxy and hating the place, I think that's the sort of thing you admit after you know for sure the place has been trashed. When you have a real reason to cry. Like "I'd always hated living there, but now that it's gone..." That kind of deal.

They're really massaging Ranka's character more than they are Sheryl's. That's what I think. I think this episode proves it, along with adding in the earring thing.
Wesley84 is offline  
Old 2008-05-11, 18:28   Link #105
Zekori
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
They're really massaging Ranka's character more than they are Sheryl's. That's what I think. I think this episode proves it, along with adding in the earring thing.
Well,

Spoiler for maybe, spoilers:

Last edited by Zekori; 2008-05-11 at 18:29. Reason: Meant original series, not first season oops.
Zekori is offline  
Old 2008-05-11, 18:52   Link #106
ickem
シェリルの為に!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
And need I remind the reason he went to the mall in the first place was because he spotted Ranka getting on the train?
I'm not entirely convinced this is the case. Although he does notice Ranka and Michel getting on the train, it may just be that he wanted to show her Island 3 because Sheryl was so excited by the fact that Frontier had so many natural elements unlike Galaxy.

Quote:
She shouldn't have take any questions. She should have left it at thanks, maybe make a statement along the lines of only having eachother to depend upon while traveling through space, and that if it was the other way around, Galaxy would have come to Frontier's aid. She didn't need to act indignant and to declare her intention of committing an empty gesture of solidarity.
Well, singers have a much more important role in the Macross universe than we have in real life so I think it is expected of her to have dialog with the press about important events. I don't think she was declaring her intention of continuing with the convert as an empty gesture of solidarity, but to emphasize the fact that she was a professional. She wasn't going to let even an event such as the likely destruction of homeland deter her from doing her job. This is similar to when she wanted to continue with the concert during even with the evacuation order in the first episode.

Quote:
I think the earring thing was resolved too quickly. Sure, it was inserted in after the pilot episode to give Sheryl a reason to stalk Alto, but it ended up feeling forced, especially when Alto hanged the earring up in his cockpit. That seemed out of character of him, doubly so when he was smiling at the darn thing.

And her admitting to being alone on Galaxy and hating the place, I think that's the sort of thing you admit after you know for sure the place has been trashed. When you have a real reason to cry. Like "I'd always hated living there, but now that it's gone..." That kind of deal.
I don't agree that the earing plot was resolved that quickly. I lasted 6 episodes after all. The earing in the cockpit thing seem very genuine to me since Sheryl was the catalyst for Alto actually becoming a pilot. Her speech about fate and opportunity in the shelter episode was the driving force for him to grab at his destiny. Before that he seemed to just mope around a lot and think about how he would like to fly, but, as he says near the end of episode 4, he saw his chance and he seized it.

As for Sheryl's depression when Alto brought the earing, again I felt it was very real. She may have put on a brave front about believing the Galaxy was still around in front of the press, but I think that she was almost certain that Galaxy was gone. The only reason that she reveals that stuff to Alto is because he is the only one that doesn't treat her as "Sheryl" in the least. Grace, who is probably the person she's closest to, still likely thinks of her as "Sheryl" even when they are alone. There's also the parallel with Alto hating Frontier. It may be that she wanted to point out that even though he hates Frontier, he would be hurt of it were destroyed.

I may be showing my Sheryl bias here, but I can't help it since she's such an awesome character.
ickem is offline  
Old 2008-05-11, 19:12   Link #107
Haesslich
Go to DMC! Go to DMC!
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
One note - Monica seems to hate the pretty boys (Alto), but doesn't mind the older, bearded guys to judge by how she blushed at the pat... as Ram Hoa pointed out when Mina Roshan commented on it.

Interesting how things are shaping up - even if they're starting to recycle footage again (the launch sequence for the NUNS) to save money. The concert, despite its animation values, went well... just as the first one did in Deculture.

That, and I find it nostalgic that a brown-haired woman who behaves in ways that later generations of otaku would call tsundere is ordering fighters to launch stations.
Haesslich is offline  
Old 2008-05-11, 19:19   Link #108
Wesley84
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ickem View Post
I'm not entirely convinced this is the case. Although he does notice Ranka and Michel getting on the train, it may just be that he wanted to show her Island 3 because Sheryl was so excited by the fact that Frontier had so many natural elements unlike Galaxy.
I say two birds with one stone. I seriously doubt he would have taken her to see a farm if he hadn't noticed Ranka getting on that train. Remember, she was the one leading him around until that point. Though I feel as if I should watch the episode again. It was better than this week's at least.

Quote:
Well, singers have a much more important role in the Macross universe than we have in real life so I think it is expected of her to have dialog with the press about important events. I don't think she was declaring her intention of continuing with the convert as an empty gesture of solidarity, but to emphasize the fact that she was a professional. She wasn't going to let even an event such as the likely destruction of homeland deter her from doing her job. This is similar to when she wanted to continue with the concert during even with the evacuation order in the first episode.
I meant her intention of going into a war zone. That's just a stupid and useless thing to say.

And I don't think singers in Macross have a more important role compared to ours. Simply that they are more influentional. Basically same job, more effective, but still just a celebritity when you get right down to it. And I really appreciated it when Leon doubted that singing would help at all against the Vajra. That gives me hope it'll be fighting and dying that wins the day.

Quote:
I don't agree that the earing plot was resolved that quickly. I lasted 6 episodes after all. The earing in the cockpit thing seem very genuine to me since Sheryl was the catalyst for Alto actually becoming a pilot. Her speech about fate and opportunity in the shelter episode was the driving force for him to grab at his destiny. Before that he seemed to just mope around a lot and think about how he would like to fly, but, as he says near the end of episode 4, he saw his chance and he seized it.
Sheryl's speech was bupkiss compared to everything else that was influencing him, which were a man being killed in front him, what happened to Ranka who was a life he personally saved by actually piloting, Ozma giving him a personal tour of the SOS, and Alto's old man dressing him up like a girl his whole life. It's flattery to say one little fate speech from even a charamastic individual like Sheryl was the biggest influence on him, despite whatever he might have said.

Quote:
As for Sheryl's depression when Alto brought the earing, again I felt it was very real. She may have put on a brave front about believing the Galaxy was still around in front of the press, but I think that she was almost certain that Galaxy was gone. The only reason that she reveals that stuff to Alto is because he is the only one that doesn't treat her as "Sheryl" in the least. Grace, who is probably the person she's closest to, still likely thinks of her as "Sheryl" even when they are alone. There's also the parallel with Alto hating Frontier. It may be that she wanted to point out that even though he hates Frontier, he would be hurt of it were destroyed.
Was she being vunerable or was she putting up a brave front? Alto at least had ambition for why he didn't like Frontier. Sheryl hated Galaxy for being a lonely dump. Makes her words about returning there seem all the more hollow.

Quote:
I may be showing my Sheryl bias here, but I can't help it since she's such an awesome character.
Yeah, she's great when she's being an artist or leading Alto around. I think she matters more to Ranka than to Alto though. At least she did, but now as Nanase said it's time to overthrow the Goddess!
Wesley84 is offline  
Old 2008-05-11, 19:32   Link #109
ReddyRedWolf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
And I don't think singers in Macross have a more important role compared to ours. Simply that they are more influentional. Basically same job, more effective, but still just a celebritity when you get right down to it. And I really appreciated it when Leon doubted that singing would help at all against the Vajra. That gives me hope it'll be fighting and dying that wins the day.
This is Macross, where weapons of mass destruction are either started or stopped by song.

That said the Frontier government has doubts pretty much like UN Spacy did with rogue Zentradi.

They did not have charismatic singing personalities like Lynn Minmei or Nekki Basara. (It's what they think.)
ReddyRedWolf is offline  
Old 2008-05-11, 20:25   Link #110
Wesley84
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
This is Macross, where weapons of mass destruction are either started or stopped by song.

That said the Frontier government has doubts pretty much like UN Spacy did with rogue Zentradi.

They did not have charismatic singing personalities like Lynn Minmei or Nekki Basara. (It's what they think.)
So basically everyone in the Macross Universe is an Idol-worshipper that thinks all policy decisions should be ran by whatever diva that happens to be hot that particular month? Does everyone seriously think what they believe or say matters?

Sheryl wasn't at all professional. A true professional would have known her place, said her piece, and gotten back to shake, shake, shakin' it.
Wesley84 is offline  
Old 2008-05-11, 20:34   Link #111
Cadorna
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Age: 32
Send a message via MSN to Cadorna
Sheryl is more woman than five ranka ^
__________________
Cadorna is offline  
Old 2008-05-11, 20:34   Link #112
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
... I think Sheryl is more of an artist rather than just a pro singer. Though not to the extent of a Basara. He would have flown into the combat zone singing

Last edited by squaresphere; 2008-05-11 at 20:45.
squaresphere is offline  
Old 2008-05-11, 20:37   Link #113
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: At your house fixing A/C
i almost cry toward the end when the concert started while they are deploying for battle.
kk2extreme is offline  
Old 2008-05-11, 20:39   Link #114
Wesley84
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadorna View Post
Sheryl is more woman than five ranka ^
Too bad her character developement rating is below par, and that's what really matters when you get right down to it.
Wesley84 is offline  
Old 2008-05-11, 20:53   Link #115
Zekori
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
Too bad her character developement rating is below par, and that's what really matters when you get right down to it.
Heh, I don't really care who ends up with who as long as its interesting. But curious, what makes you say that?
Zekori is offline  
Old 2008-05-11, 20:54   Link #116
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Sheryl wasn't at all professional. A true professional would have known her place, said her piece, and gotten back to shake, shake, shakin' it.
I wonder if you would behave like "a true professional" if you had just learned your country was under attack.

Quote:
Too bad her character developement rating is below par, and that's what really matters when you get right down to it.
Maybe but only if you considered Ranka's amnesia thrilling character development which I for one don't.
__________________
'The world we live in is always in darkness.'
'Yes, and that is why we seek light.'

Matrim is offline  
Old 2008-05-11, 21:17   Link #117
Wesley84
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim View Post
I wonder if you would behave like "a true professional" if you had just learned your country was under attack.
I already mentioned what she should have done. No questions, just a personal thank you, all in it together, and then good night.

Quote:
Maybe but only if you considered Ranka's amnesia thrilling character development which I for one don't.
It's better than that stupid cellphone gag.
Wesley84 is offline  
Old 2008-05-11, 21:23   Link #118
cerrian
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
I meant her intention of going into a war zone. That's just a stupid and useless thing to say.

And I don't think singers in Macross have a more important role compared to ours. Simply that they are more influentional. Basically same job, more effective, but still just a celebritity when you get right down to it. And I really appreciated it when Leon doubted that singing would help at all against the Vajra. That gives me hope it'll be fighting and dying that wins the day.
I think you mis-analyzed that interview. It was my understanding that not only was Sheryl declaring that she'll perform her concert, contrary to general assumption that she would cancel it, but also that she believes Frontier's rescue mission will be successful and that Galaxy will be safe to return to. Nothing in that interview indicated her intentions to put herself at risk by defying the military and traveling to Galaxy while it was a hostile area (good luck at finding a pilot willing to shuttle her in that situation).

You got to remember the scene with Leon and Cathy, the whole interview was a PR move by Frontier's government to build confidence and calm the fears of the general populace + military. As for her insistence to continue with the concert, that's just another point reinforcing the professionalism her character has displayed throughout the series.
cerrian is offline  
Old 2008-05-11, 21:23   Link #119
ReddyRedWolf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Did anybody caught the implication that the Vajra are from the Protoculture.

All protoculture derived cultures use space folding. (Well except space whales.)
ReddyRedWolf is offline  
Old 2008-05-11, 21:30   Link #120
Zekori
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
It's better than that stupid cellphone gag.
Like the constant cellphone being crushed and making noise?
Zekori is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:05.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.