AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2008-05-19, 18:44   Link #161
Happy_Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtipbrit92 View Post
I could list maybe 100 series that will never be licensed, but that would be a waste of time.
I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that during the many decades of the 20th century, Japan produced hundreds or even thousands of of anime tv shows and movies (not to mention j-pop anime music videos, anime short clips, and japanese animated tv commercials) and only a tiny fraction of them will ever see the light of a region 1 DVD release.

This is IMHO why fansubs exist, and will continue to serve an audience regardless of how successful the region 1 distributions are.
Happy_Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-19, 19:09   Link #162
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtipbrit92 View Post
Yeah, I was pretty sure it's licensed.
And maybe you meant "the best least popular show ever/in existence." or "the least popular best show ever/in existence."

And yes, most anime will never be licensed.
Take Da Capo, which is pretty popular in Japan and hasn't been licensed after five years.
I could list maybe 100 series that will never be licensed, but that would be a waste of time.
Actually, Da Capo was at one point nearly licensed. Something then happened and it never came to fruition. Most likely, whoever was about to buy it discovered they would never make back what they paid for it in those market conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy_Chip View Post
I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that during the many decades of the 20th century, Japan produced hundreds or even thousands of of anime tv shows and movies (not to mention j-pop anime music videos, anime short clips, and japanese animated tv commercials) and only a tiny fraction of them will ever see the light of a region 1 DVD release.

This is IMHO why fansubs exist, and will continue to serve an audience regardless of how successful the region 1 distributions are.
I'll ignore all the other problems with this statement and just say the irony of all of this is, many aren't coming out because people are using fansubs as a replacement for buying things.

Statistically, around 4 in 10 titles are licensed per year.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-19, 19:10   Link #163
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Yeah, I would probably put the number at more than a thousand (maybe much more than a thousand) anime series/standalone OVA's (not those that are just omakes or extra episodes) that will never be licensed in any region, let alone R1.
Quote:
Actually, fansubs don't always cover every anime. More often than not, it's the more popular ones that have several groups subbing it, and these more popular ones are more likely to be licensed anyway, so there might always be those series that are left in limbo forever.
Old 2008-05-19, 19:13   Link #164
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I think its kind of interesting to scan back through the thread and check off the "Never Will Be Licensed" since they were, in fact, later licensed.

I dispute that many "aren't coming out because people are using fansubs as a replacement for buying". True for some folks - but I don't think you can count those as "lost sales" because they'd never buy in the first place. They're rabble in the peanut gallery.
Much of anime isn't coming over because the distributors simply refuse to believe something like H&C would sell.... distributors LIKE blockbusters rather than niche - its less work and they don't have to think so hard. Also, the Japanese producers simply don't bother for a variety of complex stuck-in-a-mental-rut reasons.

If things like AIR, Kanon, and now ARIA sell - maybe some small company will take up some of the "niche" titles (Sketchbook, Petopetosan, even binchotan), but it isn't likely to happen until the anime producers share more of the distribution risk: small up-front fee and assume a return spread over more time.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-19, 19:14   Link #165
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Is Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei a good candidate to answer the OP?
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-19, 19:23   Link #166
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

I doubt Gundam ZZ will ever be liscensed in North America. I still have feeling it might be, but as more years pass by without that happening I'll start to doubt it even more.
Old 2008-05-19, 19:27   Link #167
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post

Statistically, around 4 in 10 titles are licensed per year.
Even if this is true, 60% of the titles are not licensed.
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-19, 20:13   Link #168
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Going through the unlicensed shows in my sig....

Oh! Edo Rocket - never; too much about Japanese history and culture; too off-beat
Hataraki Man - never; too josei; no R1 audience for a show about women in the Japanese workplace
Mononoke - maybe; the parent series Ayakashi - Samurai Horror Tales was surprisingly licensed
Baccano! - another maybe; it is about American gangsters and demons after all
Nodame Cantabile - probably not; see Hataraki Man
Moyashimon - another maybe, but only because they can sell the sex and ignore the microbiology
Monster - beats me, but if it hasn't been licensed by now, I'd be surprised if it ever gets licensed
Dennou Coil - another maybe, but it might be seen as "too childish" and "too Japanese;" doesn't have the action of, say, Noein
Bartender - if the AS age distribution is representative of the market, never

Current shows:
Chi's Sweet Home - despite how much fun this show is, with three-minute episodes and story about a kitty, probably never
Daughter of Twenty Faces - it has Hirano Aya, if that matters, and an intriguing plot; a solid maybe
Kure-nai - another maybe, though I'm not sure who the DVD audience would be; not really a harem and not really an action show either
Shion no Ou - probably never even though Hikaru no Go is licensed and Shion has a murder mystery as well
Saiunkoku Monogatari II - never; see below

Shows in my sig that probably shouldn't have been licensed
Saiunkoku Monogatari - too josei, see Nodame Cantabile and Hataraki Man; one of Geneon's mistakes
Seirei no Moribito - the jury's out on this one; another Geneon orphan, but picked up by Media Blasters and already licensed to run on Cartoon Network (?)

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2008-05-19 at 21:12.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-19, 20:45   Link #169
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Meh, I should know better than to try and see if it is on Wikipedia. My bad, although I'm surprised a show like this is licensed when other certain shows that are popular in Japan are not.

@qtipbrit92

Yea you caught me on my wording .
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-19, 22:20   Link #170
ellifeedn
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I think its kind of interesting to scan back through the thread and check off the "Never Will Be Licensed" since they were, in fact, later licensed.
Talk about irony.

Other example that probably don't have futures in America that I came up with are as follows: Sexy Commando Gaiden: Sugoiyo!! Masarusan, Okusama wa Joshikosei, Moetan, Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto, Amaenaideyo and its second season, Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan and its second season, Cosmopolitan Prayers and the two other related series, and Futakoi Alternative.

*Note concerning Dokuro-chan* If any company is brave enough to attempt this one I will give them props for having the balls for considering it.
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-19, 22:27   Link #171
cicido
I'm so moe I kill myself
*Artist

R1 will eventually license 90% of the mainstream animes, they'll just be 5 years too late.

^ Touhoues for president. ^
Chinese Saimoe 08 Congradulations to C.C. and Shana for winning Chinese Saimoe 08
cicido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-19, 22:29   Link #172
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Meh, I should know better than to try and see if it is on Wikipedia. My bad, although I'm surprised a show like this is licensed when other certain shows that are popular in Japan are not.
Yeah, it's unusual. Why would you license Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru and not Maria-sama ga Miteru? (Though Marimite was recently licensed)
Some other licensing choices are pretty unusual, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
@qtipbrit92

Yea you caught me on my wording .
We all do it some time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
*Note concerning Dokuro-chan* If any company is brave enough to attempt this one I will give them props for having the balls for considering it.
Elfen Lied was licensed by ADV, and it's more gory and explicit than Dokuro-chan, and I'm pretty sure ecchi-type things are second to only action series in likeliness to be licensed.

EDIT: Yeah, the licensing of Air, Kanon 2006, and Shuffle! might mean a turnaround in terms of visual novel adaptation licensing (since Kimi ga Nozomu Eien was licensed a couple of years prior).
Old 2008-05-20, 00:15   Link #173
Siegel Clyne

A List of Japanese Animation Television Series

Richard's Animated Divots has a fairly comprehensive, ongoing List of Anime Television Series.
Siegel Clyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-20, 00:49   Link #174
Seditary
Ooooo what?!

Quote:
If things like AIR, Kanon, and now ARIA sell - maybe some small company will take up some of the "niche" titles (Sketchbook, Petopetosan, even binchotan), but it isn't likely to happen until the anime producers share more of the distribution risk: small up-front fee and assume a return spread over more time.
Watch me do all sorts of highly embrassing things if these titles ever get licensed.

Love SeijiSensei's list as well, much love to any company that licenses and delivers a quality release of those series.
Old 2008-05-20, 01:15   Link #175
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

^
Well, Kamichu did come to this side of the pacific. And considering I find Petopetosan and Kamichu to be of the same feather, I guess there is a light in the end of the tunnel for these kind of shows.

As for shows I predicted will never be licensed in R1, I guess I was wrong on all accounts apart from aibaby. Kind of odd, since Honey and Clover was really outdated by then.

Hopefully it would be a hit (Nana as well), so other shows like Nodame Cantabile and Hataraki Man can also come here. So yeah, depending on the success of H&C and Nana, these two shows have a pretty good chance of getting here.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-20, 02:44   Link #176
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Is Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei a good candidate to answer the OP?
Since Del Rey has picked up the manga, no. The first season has a decent chance to get licensed in the next couple years, especially if the manga sells well. Arguments that it is too filled with references are pretty vacuous.

Quote:
I dispute that many "aren't coming out because people are using fansubs as a replacement for buying". True for some folks - but I don't think you can count those as "lost sales" because they'd never buy in the first place. They're rabble in the peanut gallery.
While what you are saying is true, I was more arguing along the lines of "We had 70%+ licensing back in the day when titles were flying off the shelves since the void of anime was finally being filled." They could license anything back then because it would actually sell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Going through the unlicensed shows in my sig....
Moyashimon - another maybe, but only because they can sell the sex and ignore the microbiology
Monster - beats me, but if it hasn't been licensed by now, I'd be surprised if it ever gets licensed
Monster is likely coming. Viz has begun shopping it around. The only question is who and when.
Moyashimon will very likely get picked up when the manga gets picked up for R1 since it just won a bunch of awards.

Quote:
Daughter of Twenty Faces - it has Hirano Aya, if that matters, and an intriguing plot; a solid maybe
This is BONES. It is not if, if it is when.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-20, 15:47   Link #177
Echoes

Akagi, probably. Since it's about Mahjong and all.

I don't know about Kaiji, it should have a broader appeal, so maybe? Could be too niche/unusual for the general population, but I'd love to be able to buy the DVDs.
Old 2008-05-20, 16:35   Link #178
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
While what you are saying is true, I was more arguing along the lines of "We had 70%+ licensing back in the day when titles were flying off the shelves since the void of anime was finally being filled." They could license anything back then because it would actually sell.
No argument that with a flood of licensed anime comes the spectre of wins/losses in the profit column since average buyers don't spend all their entertainment budget on anime (and therefore the titles must actually compete for $$$).
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-21, 09:06   Link #179
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Actually, Da Capo was at one point nearly licensed. Something then happened and it never came to fruition. Most likely, whoever was about to buy it discovered they would never make back what they paid for it in those market conditions.
Really? That's interesting... There goes one of my entries here... Or not really, I still doubt that it'll ever be licensed.
So yeah, I just have two series to mention. Da Capo and Sailor Moon - Sailor Stars. (Didn't Toei specifically say that they were never going to release that in America? Not to mention how they pulled back the Sailor Moon-license from both ADV and Geneon, thus destroying any small chance the series might have had...)
Apart from those two, all the series I've seen have already been licensed, (I had my doubts as to wether Lucky Star was going to come out, but it did) so I can't think of any others.

Last edited by Vegard Aune; 2008-05-21 at 14:10.
Vegard Aune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-21, 12:28   Link #180
stelok
I My Me Strawberry Eggs

Send a message via ICQ to stelok Send a message via AIM to stelok Send a message via MSN to stelok Send a message via Yahoo to stelok
Kodomo no Jikan because the conservative idiots in power will never find the anime's sensitive context the least bit acceptable.
stelok is offline   Reply With Quote