AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2003-12-21, 15:02   Link #1
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Fish-shape Paumanok
Age: 26
Question Excel Saga

Could Excel in Excel Saga be an American?

- She sometimes bursts into English for no apparent reason.
- She acts like a total ditz, which is a typical Japanese stereotype of Americans.
- Her hair is blonde, which is not a characteristic of Asians.

might be the wrong forum >_> sorry
__________________
Learn to define and spell mo
Shii (formerly known as ashibaka)
Shii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-21, 23:36   Link #2
microlith
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Folsom, CA
Age: 31
Send a message via AIM to microlith
No, she's Japanese.

They like having characters randomly shout english if they can for some reason.

This does not mean there are any communication difficulties, they go to america and have no trouble.
microlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-22, 00:01   Link #3
Fronzel
Schmuck
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Anime often doesn't bother justifying interesting pigmentation. Never mind it.
Fronzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-22, 01:29   Link #4
Tenkoy
That is a secret.
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Tenkoy Send a message via MSN to Tenkoy Send a message via Yahoo to Tenkoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashibaka
Could Excel in Excel Saga be an American?

- She sometimes bursts into English for no apparent reason.
- She acts like a total ditz, which is a typical Japanese stereotype of Americans.
- Her hair is blonde, which is not a characteristic of Asians.

might be the wrong forum >_> sorry
Also, remember that she went to America in one of the episodes and seemingly didn't fully understand what she was saying in English. Also, as hinted on before on a previous post, saying phrases in English seems to be a type of fad over there.
Tenkoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-22, 07:44   Link #5
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Somewhere in Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashibaka
typical Japanese stereotype of Americans.
- Her hair is blonde, which is not a characteristic of Asians.
Isn't Excels hair orangie in color and not blond?
__________________
Keitaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-22, 13:50   Link #6
Fronzel
Schmuck
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
I've always thought so.
Fronzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-12, 17:44   Link #7
Busaiku Chama
爆発
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
A few questions about Excel Saga.

I was thinking of purchasing Excel Saga, because I've heard from various people that it is a really good show with some really funny moments.
Since I'd never seen it before I was about to purchase it earlier today when I noticed some things.
For one I noticed that the DVDs have an age rating on 17+ (at least that's what I'm seeing online). So I'm simply pondering what objectionable content is placed within the series that would warrant such a rating?
Another thing is, I recently read on various sites that the voice actor for the main character (in the English dub) was changed before the conclusion of the show. Is the 2nd voice actor drastically noticeable from the 1st or are they similar and basically negligible?
Thanks for the help.
__________________
Busaiku Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-13, 02:49   Link #8
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busaiku Chama
I was thinking of purchasing Excel Saga, because I've heard from various people that it is a really good show with some really funny moments.
Since I'd never seen it before I was about to purchase it earlier today when I noticed some things.
For one I noticed that the DVDs have an age rating on 17+ (at least that's what I'm seeing online). So I'm simply pondering what objectionable content is placed within the series that would warrant such a rating?
Another thing is, I recently read on various sites that the voice actor for the main character (in the English dub) was changed before the conclusion of the show. Is the 2nd voice actor drastically noticeable from the 1st or are they similar and basically negligible?
Thanks for the help.
17+ because one person dies a lot, they are always trying to eat a dog, tons of bad language, and a low amount of nudity.

She did change, you probably won't notice it.
__________________
My Favorite Anime Quotes Courtesy of Answerman of ANN:

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-14, 02:13   Link #9
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, USA
Well, the last episode actually qualifies for that 17+ rating, but the rest of the show is basically what Forbin just described. Episode 26, titled "Going Too Far," has rivers of blood, sexual scenes and tons of ickiness. That's quite a disconnect from the rest, eh? Lets just say it is aptly titled and leave it at that.
__________________

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-21, 12:35   Link #10
Tsukasa27
Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Age: 31
I just finished this wacky show and it was quite okay i guess

I feel like a lot of references will be missed by us North Americans aside from the obvious ones of course, but what we may understand certainly warrants some serious laughing. This is the show's strong point because there is not much else and I don't think it was meant to be anything else but a crazy ride filled with tongue-in-cheek humor and parodies.

There is no major flaws with this show but some minor grips:

-The characters don't have much depth, they always seem to go back to their old-self by the end of the episode and so the things that happen have no impact on them.

-The music is forgettable (aside from the very nice OP and enjoyable ED). Then again, there is so much dialog involved, notably with the hyperactive Excel, that it's certainly a choice made by the director to not focus on BGM.

So overall, i would give it a 7.4/10 and would recommend it only if you are hungry for some hyperactive, crazy, WTF humor
Tsukasa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-21, 16:46   Link #11
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Go watch the other Nabeshin productions like Wallflower , Puni Puni Poemi, and Nerima Diakon Bros.
__________________
My Favorite Anime Quotes Courtesy of Answerman of ANN:

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-21, 18:32   Link #12
Tsukasa27
Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbin View Post
Go watch the other Nabeshin productions like Wallflower , Puni Puni Poemi, and Nerima Diakon Bros.
Yup, I am currently watching Puni Puni Poemy and it's as crazy as Excel Saga
Tsukasa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-21, 18:56   Link #13
Asrialys
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: California
Age: 26
Did you watch either of them in English? Just curious. I found it quite enjoyable in English. lol And my thinking was that I wouldn't be able to understand most Japanese jokes anyway and I don't care enough to be bothered by ADV's mass amounts of screen-covering pop-up notes. And the subs move way too fast for me to read.
__________________
Asrialys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-22, 12:22   Link #14
Tsukasa27
Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asrialys View Post
Did you watch either of them in English? Just curious. I found it quite enjoyable in English. lol And my thinking was that I wouldn't be able to understand most Japanese jokes anyway and I don't care enough to be bothered by ADV's mass amounts of screen-covering pop-up notes. And the subs move way too fast for me to read.
No, i watched it subbed cause i tend to stay away from most dubs, but it's funny you say that, because all throughout the show, i kept thinking that this is one of the few series that could be better watched dubbed because of those references that we nay not understand and the fact that pausing everytime to read the sub kinda kills the effect of the jokes...if you say the dub is good, i may try it to see how it is
Tsukasa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-16, 13:51   Link #15
Pineapple_Split
Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
As far as the dub goes, know that Jason Douglas voices Il Palazzo. The same guy who voiced Louie in Rune Soldier. It makes it hundreds of times funnier every time Il Palazzo says something.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic99504_1.gif
Pineapple_Split is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
comedy, parody

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:18.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.