AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2008-05-27, 18:34   Link #201
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Maybe I'm an exception, but I like the tags exactly where they are.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-27, 19:16   Link #202
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
The problem is that when you post a message back in your own profile, the other person gets no indication that you've replied to them...
Yea, I see that as a problem too. I wouldn't want to hunt for nor want people to hunt for my replies. I agree with the hybrid method for it to work bothways. Depending on the convo it maybe easier to reply using the function or just to my own profile. The thing that is annoying though is that you can't hold a group multi convo using that function as you can't "butt into" another's chat log.

And it's great that the bookmark bar has been nuked XD

@ Vexx, I wondered where you were >.>

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-27, 23:46   Link #203
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

It's been a while since I visited the forum (a while as in "a day" Dang, classic shoujo manga is incredible. Go Maya! Show me you're the real Crimson Goddess! ~_~), but I noticed a few differences, so:

1) Thanks for removing those bookmarks! They're an eyesore. I don't even know what the hell is the site del.icio.us; and I don't think I really get the concept of "Diggin' it" either.

2) Cats' suggestion above sounds good. I don't mind the tags where they are (honestly, until things settle down and the tags take the "form" they'll take, I'll not be taking them very seriously) but I realize that I often miss them when I surf, as the Quick Reply box is a lot more...prominent, for lack of a better word.

I think it would be a lot more noticeable below the Quick Reply box than above it, at least that's how my eye movements went personally. Then again, this is far from an "issue" so much as an aesthetic preference.

3) For the first minute of surfing, until I refreshed and it disappeared without a trace, I've got a redundant (as in wtf was that for?) marking saying "multi-page thread" after the thread title of each, well, multi-page thread. Was that a bug or did you guys remove a feature right as I came in?
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-28, 00:42   Link #204
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
I agree. I personally think that it should be below the Quick Reply box and above the Currently Active Users box.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-28, 02:06   Link #205
NeoSam

Great, you can also add attachments to the thread
Is this feature only available to admins/mods?

I would love to be able to add a text file attachment to the New Announced Anime thread, I want to put in it the "upcoming anime list" (and be able to update it from time to time). is that possible?
Old 2008-05-28, 02:19   Link #206
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Atachments are only available to moderators and admins.

It would be tough to enable you to add an atachment without changing your usergroup. I don't think I want to create a unique usergroup just for you so you can add attachments.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-28, 02:25   Link #207
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSam View Post
Great, you can also add attachments to the thread
Is this feature only available to admins/mods?
.. I'm part of the reason the attachment exist in this thread :x
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-28, 02:26   Link #208
NeoSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
Atachments are only available to moderators and admins.

It would be tough to enable you to add an atachment without changing your usergroup. I don't think I want to create a unique usergroup just for you so you can add attachments.
I see, my excitement was killed >_<
Old 2008-05-28, 13:20   Link #209
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

A member pointed out an interesting bug.

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=37807

Why does the percentages from the poll add over 100%?

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Old 2008-05-28, 13:32   Link #210
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

It is a "Multiple Choice Poll", you should not sum each of the percentages because they are independent of each other. Each represents the percentage of the total voters who voted for a given category. This has not changed since polls were first added to the forum software many version ago Each value (e.g. Suigintou, 56.29%) is calculated by taking the vote count (255) and dividing it by the total voters (453), not votes.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-28, 13:32   Link #211
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
A member pointed out an interesting bug.

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=37807

Why does the percentages from the poll add over 100%?
Hmmmm. ..because it's multiple choice and the number of votes is not equal to the number of voters?

EDIT:

Beaten to the puch!
Old 2008-05-28, 14:07   Link #212
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Ah thanks for that *feels really dumb*

I really didn't notice the difference until he pointed it out either

Old 2008-05-28, 14:41   Link #213
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

I'm not sure if this has been said over on this thread yet, but you can now search for multiple tags by adding a comma between each tags. This is probably one of my favorite new additions, so kudos.

And I do realize that we're offering constructive criticism here, but I just want to say "good work" to the staff and that I am liking most of the changes.
Old 2008-05-28, 14:50   Link #214
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
I'm not sure if this has been said over on this thread yet, but you can now search for multiple tags by adding a comma between each tags.
Not yet, I made a subdued announcement on the Tag Discussion thread with a link to the FAQ entry; but it got buried by yet more debate over what makes a good tag and what tags shouldn't be used.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-28, 23:04   Link #215
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
That's true Ledgem, but then how does one handle a conversation when two or more people join in?
Well now, that's a problem. I've never really seen that occur on Facebook, but the trouble is that here at AnimeSuki we're so used to talking to each other that it's more likely to happen (hell, this is a message forum after all). There's no way to do it publicly, really, but then again a group conversation does extend beyond the purpose of the feature, I presume.

Next reply is to the following two:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
If somebody were to ask me about my next trace, I will obviously want the answer to be visible to all the people checking my profile and not just to the person that made the question in the first place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
Yea, I see that as a problem too. I wouldn't want to hunt for nor want people to hunt for my replies.
If you use the system as it's intended, nobody has to hunt for anything, actually. Let's say someone leaves a message on Daniel E.'s wall asking about a trace, for example. If I'm interested, I just need to click "view conversation" and it'll show me the entire series of exchanges between that person and Daniel E. (assuming that he replied to that person's conversation area). Thus I can easily find Daniel E.'s answer, and the person who asked the question will see that Daniel E. replied.

Replying to your own conversation area is not what this system was designed for. In addition to the point that I raised before (which is that the person who originally wrote to your conversation area won't be able to tell when you've replied unless they check back regularly), it isn't cleaner - that is, it's harder to follow conversations and know what you're replying to. This is especially true if you happen to have a high-traffic conversation area. Going with the example above, what if someone leaves Daniel E. a question about his trace, and then there are three, four, or even ten more people who write on his conversation area before he responds? If I'm browsing his conversations I may find that question and want the answer, but I'll have to hunt for his reply and slog through it. It's normally not that much effort, but when you compare it to the fact that I could have just clicked "view conversation" and seen the messages between Daniel E. and the other person exclusively... well, it's a lot better because the system was probably set up for that usage.

Another potential problem that could arise from not using the system as intended is that people who expect everyone to comply will miss those replies. For example, if I try to view the conversation between Daniel E. and the other person, I won't see Daniel E.'s replies that were made on his own profile. If you're not expecting that people are replying on their own profile, that could doubly defeat your intentions.

Basically, the amount of messaging between two people is likely to be less than the amount of messaging to a single person's wall even over time. Thus it's easier to sort through questions/answers and discussions when you can use the "view conversation" feature, as opposed to having to manually look for the person's replies on their conversation area. ... Have I convinced you of the merits of the system yet?

Greetings from Los Angeles International Airport! (stealing wifi, heheh )

Last edited by Ledgem; 2008-05-29 at 00:30.
Ledgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-29, 00:34   Link #216
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Thats where the system fail.. the 3rd person cant butt in the convo but have to create another conversation. And if he made a convo to the 1st person, there's no way of informing the 2nd guy that this conversation is extension to the 1st and 2nd conversation >.<

For someone who used to have a group chat on msn on daily basis, ask DK, Sephi, Riker and Icey, its troublesome to say the least.
Old 2008-05-29, 00:38   Link #217
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Well yes, but that is why we shouldn't treat this feature like a full-pledged messenger. It's just there to be more convenient, so it can't create inconvenience. If you want to join in the conversation, then just remember that you would have had nothing to join in a week ago.
Old 2008-05-29, 00:43   Link #218
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

^ True that, but just because we have something today doesnt mean we cant ask for a better things tomorrow. Its called wishing for improvement
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Old 2008-05-29, 00:48   Link #219
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Replying to your own conversation area is not what this system was designed for. In addition to the point that I raised before (which is that the person who originally wrote to your conversation area won't be able to tell when you've replied unless they check back regularly), it isn't cleaner - that is, it's harder to follow conversations and know what you're replying to. This is especially true if you happen to have a high-traffic conversation area. Going with the example above, what if someone leaves Daniel E. a question about his trace, and then there are three, four, or even ten more people who write on his conversation area before he responds? If I'm browsing his conversations I may find that question and want the answer, but I'll have to hunt for his reply and slog through it. It's normally not that much effort, but when you compare it to the fact that I could have just clicked "view conversation" and seen the messages between Daniel E. and the other person exclusively... well, it's a lot better because the system was probably set up for that usage.
Hmmmm, I can see where you are going with this. Though, I still think that many people (myself included) will still see this as another extension of the forum threads and will treat them in a similar way (at least for now).

I'll probably end up following if everyone adapts the new style quickly, but for now, I think I can make do leaving direct replies on my profile.
Old 2008-05-29, 02:49   Link #220
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Ideally, if someone wants to ask Daniel a question about his trace they'll send a private message or post in his thread, something you can't do on Facebook or Myspace. However, I don't think any of our profiles are so busy that messages are difficult to keep track of. Rather, it's the poorly designed friends interface and lack of options regarding notifications that create restrictions on how conversations flow.

I don't see anything wrong with posting to your own profile and I still think treating it as a hybrid system will be what most people settle on. Honestly the system should have been designed under the concept that people do have three other methods of discussion besides the profile system and that the likelihood of more than one person involved in a conversation at a time would be rather high.

Tags
feedback, forum upgrade, tags