AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Macross

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier - Episode 08 Rating
Perfect 10 24 18.05%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 28 21.05%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 29 21.80%
7 out of 10 : Good 31 23.31%
6 out of 10 : Average 13 9.77%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.50%
4 out of 10 : Poor 3 2.26%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 2 1.50%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.75%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-05-29, 03:00   Link #241
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
I don't think you entirely got my point. The reason why Sheryl is 'perfect' to me and to characters like Ranka is that she is adaptable. Nothing ever gets her down for long and she is always on the move whether it's her potential love life, making new friends, getting familiar with Frontier or dealing with war, loss, stress, etc. Compare that to Ranka just going into a shell and going by a small-time producer doing meager jobs to get by. Everything Sheryl does is at mach speed in comparison. I think a lot of it is credited to her personality.
The jobs disparity is normal, considering the fact that Ranka is just getting started.

As for the personality disparity, yeah, it's there. So? Not every female has to be insecure. Sheryl is the type that just goes forward, and worry about the consequences later.


Quote:
I'm not arguing against that, but does the characters have to go out of their way and outright say it? I don't think they do. Their actions speaks louder than their words and the way Alto is fixated on how it may be his 'destiny' just sounds like it's setting himself for some sort of downfall as far as his 'destiny' of fighting a war is concerned. Again, I just think it's like they just jinxed themselves a bit by getting so open about the whole destiny thing. Also, if he is so darn fixated on not being the 'princess' and all, how about cutting his uber-girly hair? I think he does hold onto the past in ways that hasn't been fully explored yet. And the OP seems to hint that he has done the whole Kabuki princess thing before and it may just as well be in his blood as much as he believes flying is.
Alto and Ranka both needed verbal reassurance, when they heard the speech.

Quote:
I would think Ranka would start getting really popular once people realizes it's her voice that is doing the actual saving of Frontier and not anyone else's. I really wouldn't mind a more open contest between Ranka and Sheryl because like you said, the characters weaknesses can make things just that much more interesting. As of now, it's like Ranka and Sheryl are still arm's length away from eachother. I suppose Sheryl transfering to Miboshi Academy is the obvious way for them to interact with one another.
What a shitty reason to succeed. "I may not be much of a singer, but my magical voice controls giant space bugs. So buy my records, or be ready for a bug infestation." For her sake, I'd rather she succeeds on her talent as a singer than as a Space Hameln's Piper.
Anh_Minh is offline  
Old 2008-05-29, 03:13   Link #242
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 29
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Macross Frontier Episode 08 is up for what it's worth.

I haven't been disappointed in an episode of a series I've been following in a long time and it feels like a sucker punch even more since I've been enjoying the series despite some of it's shortcoming up till now. This episode just takes the cake though and I come away from it feeling empty and worried about the path it lays out for rest of the series. At this point it seems like Macross Frontier's civilian side is wobbling dangerously on the edge between Space Opera and Cliched High School Harem Comedy. I hope that if the latter is to be a part of the series that it's a really small one (Like 1 minute per 5 episodes in the future) as I don't want to see the character relationship between Alto, Ranka and Sheryl that has been built on a solid foundation of three seperate lives coming together by chance in a somewhat more realistic (for anime) romance triangle regress to the level of To Love-Ru (Which while a favourite of mine isn't exactly deep).

Seriously this episode seems like a step back from everything that has been established before it with one simple gesture of putting both Ranka and Sheryl in the same school as Alto. Why anyone thought this was a good idea is beyond me.
Kaioshin Sama is offline  
Old 2008-05-29, 03:55   Link #243
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
What a shitty reason to succeed. "I may not be much of a singer, but my magical voice controls giant space bugs. So buy my records, or be ready for a bug infestation." For her sake, I'd rather she succeeds on her talent as a singer than as a Space Hameln's Piper.
It's not a bad reason at all in the history of Macross, topping it off with Ranka's cute factor. Minmay was hailed as a savior on top of being the superstar and so was Basara in the end. I don't see why she can't continue on the tradition since she IS being covered up by the government a bit. You can just imagine the explosion of popularity once people find out that she is of the Minmay fold.

Really, look at the situation right now: Sheryl is already at her prime. Ranka's stock can only go up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymphonicRain View Post
Its not fair comparing to someone who is already an established idol to another who is in the making of becoming one. Just because Ranka is having difficulty and tough bumps becoming a singer now doesn't mean Sheryl did not face the same thing in her youth.

It is hinted in episode 5 and 6 that Sheryl's path to stardom is not perfect at all and in some ways, she may envy the support Ranka has that she may not had.

Its simply going through the stages of stardom that one finally finds the stability. I'm sure if Ranka succeeds in reaching Sheryl's present footsteps, she is no less than the definition of your 'perfectness'.
I have to still disagree. Because with all her melancholies that goes with the job, what does she do? She deals with it in stride and almost thrives upon it. I agree, Ranka is new at it but she obviously must feel jealous at the high point Sheryl is in. To me, perfection isn't an apex. It's what you mold out of even the toughest of situations. Again, it seems that Sheryl is a master of handling her job by now. I mean, most real life music superstars can't handle that kind of pressure the way Sheryl can.

I guess that is sort of ironic coming from me since I thought Sheryl was an empty shell of a superstar. All the subsequent episodes basically proved me wrong.
SuperKnuckles is offline  
Old 2008-05-29, 04:29   Link #244
Wesley84
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
Really, look at the situation right now: Sheryl is already at her prime. Ranka's stock can only go up.
Or stagnate. Most performers and artists that don't catch a major break, tend to flonder in obscurity for years, if not indefiniently. More and more, I think it's simply impossible for Ranka to become something comparable to Sheryl, simply because Sheryl exists, and is injecting herself into everyone's daily lives.

There's fewer than a million people on Frontier, Sheryl's face is plastered everywhere, and the colony has welcomed her indefinently with open arms. I'm loathed to think of Ranka doing what it'd take to win the same level of recognition Sheryl's managed, and that's the expectation; beat Sheryl at her own game.

The moment Ranka is compared to Sheryl in the minds of Frontier's colonists, it's over for Ranka forever.
Wesley84 is offline  
Old 2008-05-29, 06:23   Link #245
ipernorris
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
The moment Ranka is compared to Sheryl in the minds of Frontier's colonists, it's over for Ranka forever.
Not to mention Ranka has the military after her...
ipernorris is offline  
Old 2008-05-31, 18:17   Link #246
thirdlc
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Macross Frontier Episode 08 is up for what it's worth.
Just say you didn't like the faces of the characters, then I wouldn't complain. You guys always go quality, art, consistency and such. I'm pretty sure that you would have given rave review with enthusiasm if only the character designer have just touched up the faces. Am I wrong? On top of that, if you've mentioned the preview as a sign to be getting better the next week I would have had to go hit you to wake up. Don't get me wrong. I don't intend to get at you.
thirdlc is offline  
Old 2008-05-31, 20:37   Link #247
Haesslich
Go to DMC! Go to DMC!
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
cerrian: No, that was meant to reinforce the point, not counter. We've seen her obviously playing people, and we've seen her when she's sincere.. and while she may have exaggerated things during the concert, those bits of breakdown may have been genuine, although like a showman she carried on and worked it into the concert in the process.

As for Ranka's stardom... Leon's probably doing his best to kill it before it really starts, lest people start keeping closer tabs on Ranka for being a Big Idol rather than just some schoolgirl who can vanish without being missed.
Haesslich is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
high school

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:22.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.