AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2008-06-02, 23:20   Link #1
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Puzzling avatar problem

I uploaded a new animated gif to use as an avatar. The gif is identical to this file in my personal gallery area. Unfortunately as an avatar it's not animated.

If I right-click on my avatar and select View Image, Firefox tells me it is a JPEG. Like the file in my gallery, though, the original uploaded file had a .gif extension. I tried deleting the avatar and uploading it again and got the same result. I also tried closing Firefox to clear everything and uploading again to no avail.

If I apply the same procedure to Solace's avatar a bit further down the page, Firefox tells me this one is a GIF.

I've made quite a few animated gif avatars by now, and I've never encountered this problem before. I'd attribute it to error on my side if the copy I uploaded to the gallery were static, but that's not the case. The same file produces different results depending on the location. I've got to assume I've done something wrong, but I can't for the life of me figure out what it is.

Any suggestions?
Old 2008-06-02, 23:28   Link #2
Seditary
Ooooo what?!

I rightclick on your avatar and go properties it tells me its a gif.

And at only 2796 byte size even, so no chance its animated, something is rather odd.

In comparison, the version in your link is 82011 bytes big. (and 1x1 size bigger?)

I'm guessing you've somehow only uploaded one frame to your avatar. Since when I use the save picture option I get your avie as a jpeg file named quarter-frames-avatar-90, but the linked one as a gif named user50982_pic1495_1212465115_thumb

Tried hosting it elsewhere and linking to it for your avie instead of uploading it to AS?
Seditary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-02, 23:40   Link #3
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Hmm. It looks as though rather than telling me that the file is above the 50K limit, it just grabbed a frame. I seem to recall in the past the uploader would simply balk if the file was too big, but my memory isn't as good as it once was.

I thought I had pushed the file down to 48K or so. I'll have to look again. Thanks for the help, Seditary.
Old 2008-06-02, 23:40   Link #4
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Experiment time. Brb.

Edit 1 - Ok, that's odd. The uploader should be catching the extra size and refusing to accept it. But it's not giving that message and only grabbing the first frame with a very terrible reduction in quality to boot.

Edit 2 - Confirmed, file size as the problem. Original was 81k, optimized to 48k and it worked like a charm. However, that suggest there's a problem with the uploader...or an new "feature".

Edit 3 - Cute girl, but not my avy.

Last edited by Solace; 2008-06-02 at 23:54.
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-03, 00:00   Link #5
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Experiment time. Brb.

Edit 1 - Ok, that's odd. The uploader should be catching the extra size and refusing to accept it. But it's not giving that message and only grabbing the first frame with a very terrible reduction in quality to boot.

Edit 2 - Confirmed, file size as the problem. Original was 81k, optimized to 48k and it worked like a charm. However, that suggest there's a problem with the uploader...or an new "feature".
I went back to the original 720x720 file, played with reductions to get it under 50K, and now she's a-spinnin' as intended.

Quote:
Edit 3 - Cute girl, but not my avy.
She's the heroine of Kurenai. She's got a terrific 16-yo seiyuu as well.

Thanks, folks!
Old 2008-06-03, 00:04   Link #6
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Glad to see it worked for you. Haven't been able to view Kure-nai yet, still working on catching up from last season (I'm currently watching Baccano!). I'll add it to the list. ^^
Old 2008-06-03, 00:06   Link #7
Seditary
Ooooo what?!

Ah, I totally forgot about the filesize restriction, but its all good now
Old 2008-06-03, 07:03   Link #8
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

The server has an Resize Image option, currently enabled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forum Help
This option will attempt to automatically resize image attachments that exceed the set dimensions for that specific image type. The image will be proportionately resized to the maximum dimensions for that image type. Resized images will be converted to JPG images to conserve space. Image types that can be resized depends on your server configuration. Resizing is as follows:
JPEG => JPEG
PNG => JPEG
GIF => JPEG
Unfortunately this setting does not appear to be avatar specific, so switching it off would disable all other image resizing (such as in the gallery and possibly other places). While disabling it might not be a bad idea, it is not something I am willing to change without some careful thought to the ramifications. For now, if the avatar looks different after you've uploaded it, check the file size, make sure it is within the limits and upload a new version if it is not.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-03, 17:31   Link #9
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Oh dear. I forsee a lot of questions from people whose avatars are "fixed" without their knowlege. Others will have the same problem.

Is there any way to add a note saying, "This image has been altered to fit with the forum's limits. If you are displeased with the results, then please reduce the image size yourself and upload it again." At least that way he'd have had a clue what was wrong.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote