AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-05-20, 06:10   Link #621
LiberLibri
(`◉◞౪◟◉)
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Akihabara, Tokyo, Japan
Send a message via AIM to LiberLibri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
Umm ... what? Never heard of that explanation. "Gesundheit" means "health" as in "I wish you good health." because that's an appropriate wish for somebody who's not 100 percent healthy. Just like "bon appetite" is an appropriate wish for somebody sitting in front of a plate full of food. That's all I think.

Googling the all-knowing trash heap tells me that the idea that the soul leaves the body through the nose(!) is an ancient Greek notion. So if this was ever believed here then this belief probably arrived with Christianity. Occam's Razor speaks against this theory though.
Ja, ich weiss die Bedeutung des Wortes (weil ich die Deutsche Sprache fuer zwei Jahren gelernt). However there should be a certain reason to say the word only in the case of sneezing; zum Beispiel, not when coughing. I read the article on the origin of the custom 10 years ago so my memory is not sure enough. Sorry if I was incorrect.

As for the bloomers... It was once a symbol of feminism and women liberation (my mother's theory, not mine). In the Tokyo Olympic, female players wearing short pants impressed Japanese girls how active and free women could be. Leg-binding long skirts and kimonos were regarded as obstacles to gender equality. Thence every school adopted bloomers as sportswares. However, in the 80's, schoolgirls began to expose themselves to media as sex symbols. Everything concerning school (sailor-fuku, bloomers, etc.) became the targets of sexual feticism. Therefore most schools ceased to employ bloomers in gym classes in the 90's.
LiberLibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-20, 06:22   Link #622
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiberLibri View Post
As for the bloomers... It was once a symbol of feminism and women liberation (my mother's theory, not mine). In the Tokyo Olympic, female players wearing short pants impressed Japanese girls how active and free women could be. Leg-binding long skirts and kimonos were regarded as obstacles to gender equality. Thence every school adopted bloomers as sportswares. However, in the 80's, schoolgirls began to expose themselves to media as sex symbols. Everything concerning school (sailor-fuku, bloomers, etc.) became the targets of sexual feticism. Therefore most schools ceased to employ bloomers in gym classes in the 90's.
there goes my random japanese trivia IQ level up 1 point, i was so off, and feminism!?
Could they make those shorts any skimpier, it's practically underwear x.x

but thanks for the explanation
__________________

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-20, 13:06   Link #623
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
The sad thing is that the bloomers *should* be symbolic of freedom - dropping them is foolish because almost *any* article of clothing or area of skin can be turned into a sex fetish.

I'm rapidly arriving at the notion that the "think of the children!" meme is the most corrosive, damaging thing to modern civilization we're facing.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-20, 18:40   Link #624
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The sad thing is that the bloomers *should* be symbolic of freedom - dropping them is foolish because almost *any* article of clothing or area of skin can be turned into a sex fetish.

I'm rapidly arriving at the notion that the "think of the children!" meme is the most corrosive, damaging thing to modern civilization we're facing.
What's interesting is that in the past (before the 19th century), there is no such thing as childhood. Kids were thought of as little adults.

There should be moderation. Too much control is as bad as too little.
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-20, 21:28   Link #625
Rembr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Eh, the girls are the ones that hate to wear it, so why force it upon them?
And bloomers are hot stuff. I can see why they'd be uncomfortable wearing it.
Rembr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-21, 00:12   Link #626
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
That may be true *now* but when they were initially adopted, it was the girls who wanted them. Fashions change, eh?
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-21, 00:14   Link #627
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Korea
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Fashions change, eh?
How true.....
__________________
Kang Seung Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-06, 10:23   Link #628
naoya
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Please give me question about japan

Hello,I'm japanese and my name is naoya.

I'm interested in the foreinger's puestion about japn(akiba, manga,games,anime,culture,etc・・・)

Now I live in Yokohama and I'm from Miyazaki in Japan.I'm a University student.

I want to reply your question and lern Engrish this time around.

I'm poor at English but forgive me.


By the way,if you'll come to around Tokyo,for example akiba, I'll guide. And if you hope, never mind using my room.
naoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-06, 11:05   Link #629
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
OK, i will ask you some silly questions then, if you're willing to answer: ^^

-How much does it cost you per month to live in Miyazaki? (you can answer it in Yen or in US dollars)

... and do you and your friends want to go to Europe or America for studying? Or have you been satisfied with Japanese education system?

Final question: I found it's strange that my Japanese friend in high school often walked away after a conversation without any gestures to say good bye. Then I found many anime characters did the same thing. Is it normal in Japan?


PS: My first language is not English also xD
You should use "if you want" instead of "if you hope" in the final sentence
__________________
risingstar3110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-06, 11:12   Link #630
TinyRedLeaf
. . .
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 39
Welcome to AnimeSuki!

Thanks for the offer. It's a shame you've posted over a year late though, as I could have used a guide (and a free bed) when I visited Tokyo last February.

Just kidding. Anyway, you might like to know we have several "About Japan" threads here, such as:

Questions about Japan pop up in there from time to time. Alternatively, you can start a social group. In fact, that may be a better idea. It will be a good place to consolidate questions about the Land of Anime - Japan's got more than anime, of course, but frankly, anime is what most of us here are interested in.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-06, 11:27   Link #631
Happy_Chip
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by naoya View Post
Hello,I'm japanese and my name is naoya.

I'm interested in the foreinger's puestion about japn(akiba, manga,games,anime,culture,etc・・・)

Now I live in Yokohama and I'm from Miyazaki in Japan.I'm a University student.

I want to reply your question and lern Engrish this time around.

I'm poor at English but forgive me.


By the way,if you'll come to around Tokyo,for example akiba, I'll guide. And if you hope, never mind using my room.
Hello Naoya-san, konnichi-wa ...

(oh, wait, you want to speak english ...)

Hi! How are you? Good to hear from you.

Some questions:

-Do they still have Cucumber Pepsi in Japan? (I read about this but I think they don't have it anymore...).

-I read that there was a butter shortage in Japan (and some japanese businessmen I had dinner with at work, about two weeks ago, confirmed this). Is there still a butter shortage? Do people use margerine instead? (do they even have margerine in japan?)

-Is it hot today where you are? Where I am in N. America today, it's 29C (with the humidity it feels like 39C). I'm inside now with air conditioning but I'm still sweating. I'm not going to like having to ride my bicycle home (and yes I'm using AS at work ...)

thanks!
Happy_Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-06, 15:32   Link #632
naoya
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
I'm sorry to ansew the questions.I'm slowish to read and writeEngrish.


>>risingstar3110

Uh,Miyazaki is not high about earnings, so it costs around 1000$.

My friends and Idon't think to go to America or Europe for studying. But I want to go to them every chance I get. By way of parenthesis, I'm not satysfied Japanese educating system, because it doesn't teach available academic.

Nn・・・ in this case we wave our hands to him,or salute him.


>>TinyRedLeaf

That's a pity. Our schedule has crossed litlle.

Well・・・you don't have any questions especially? I'm sorry if I misslead your sentence. Let's fact it, please forgive my needy Engrish ability.


>>Happy_Chip

Wait wait wait! I never hear the Cucumber Pepsi. Mmm・・・now I'm 21 years old, potentialy,it may be more than 21 years ago.

Butter shortage was rigeht. But it just rise butter's price. That issue isn't so important.

Today isn't so hot, about 20C. Well you live in N. America, dont you? I ever think N. America is cool.


Thank you to give me good questions.
naoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-06, 18:46   Link #633
LiberLibri
(`◉◞౪◟◉)
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Akihabara, Tokyo, Japan
Send a message via AIM to LiberLibri
Welcome, naoya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naoya View Post
Wait wait wait! I never hear the Cucumber Pepsi. Mmm・・・now I'm 21 years old, potentialy,it may be more than 21 years ago.
It came to the market just last year. See the article.

Regrettably, the cucumber flavour thing was sold only for a limited period. However, they will introduce another charming product this year again (Blue Hawaii).
LiberLibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-06, 21:24   Link #634
Circular Logic
土は幻に
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Speaking of drinks, I find that there aren't too many odd flavours (though melon fanta is one I can think of, and is rather good, and plum mitsuya cider is too), but they have a very odd selection of jelly drinks. That is to say, something halfway between a drink and jelly. I still can't understand the point, since it doesn't quench your thirst OR satiate your hunger. :x
Circular Logic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-06, 23:38   Link #635
Rembr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
They're good, though. What's not to understand?
Rembr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-07, 01:36   Link #636
TinyRedLeaf
. . .
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by naoya
My friends and Idon't think to go to America or Europe for studying. But I want to go to them every chance I get. By way of parenthesis, I'm not satysfied Japanese educating system, because it doesn't teach available academic.

>>TinyRedLeaf
That's a pity. Our schedule has crossed litlle.
Well・・・you don't have any questions especially? I'm sorry if I misslead your sentence. Let's fact it, please forgive my needy Engrish ability.
I am sorry for causing any confusion.

Here are a few actual questions:
1) How easy or difficult is it to get a job in Japan today?

2) How much is the average Japanese worker paid? Can you estimate how much an unmarried Japanese, between 20- to 30-years-old, would spend a month?

3) When you say you are unsatisfied with the Japanese education system, are you referring to high schools or universities? Why do you feel more academic content is required?


Don't worry about your English - my Japanese is worse! It takes time to learn and practise makes perfect. Keep it up!
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-07, 04:17   Link #637
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
>>naoya

1. Do you actually tell your coworkers/classmates/professors that you are an otaku? (are you an otaku?)

2. How does this affect your social life and studies?

3. What do you usually do at Akibahara?

After watching 電車男, I'm curious to see if people think of otaku differently from before. If you can't understand any of these questions, I'll try to rewrite them in Japanese for you.

I only wish my Japanese was as good as your English. So, don't worry about it.
__________________
tripperazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-07, 04:54   Link #638
naoya
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
>>LiberLibri

I do not want to drink the one of the cucumber flavor so much.

As for the thing that wants to say as one consumer, I want company to stop the mass production of such a strange drink slowly.



>>Circular Logic

To tell the truth, I can't also understand who like the odd drinks.

By the way, I like that halfway between a drink and jelly.The name of that commodity is [ふるふるシェイカー: Huru-huru-shaker]. To interest, when you translate this into English, the name is shke-shake-shaker.


>>TinyRedLeaf

>1 If you don't select jobs, it is comparatively easy, and unemployment rate
is low(I think that it was about the certainty 4%. ).But, Japanese companys have a tendency to want to emply Japanese.The foreign company is recommended if you will work at Japan.


>2 well・・・ my seinors get about 2,400~3,200$, normally.But most of companys provides biannual bonus. The amount of money is a salary of roughly 4 month.


>3 Of course. At that time, I'm interested in Business Administration. But most of national universities don't have department of Business Administration, though they have department of Economics nomarly. Now I'm belong to the National university's department of Business Administration.

Now I want to study that can be used by actually going into the workforce.
naoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-07, 05:14   Link #639
naoya
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
>>tripperazn

>1 Yes, most of people around me know taht I'm a otaku.

>2 The issue isn't so important. Ceratainly, a lot of Japanese otakus aren't so good at Communications, so otakus like conversation or comunication is misleaded. In short, it depends on an individual character.

>3 Well ...one.. twice a month, and when my friends come Tokyo, we go to the Akihabara.



No problem. I can understand your sentence.

Thank you only for here and giving me good questions.
naoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-07, 05:28   Link #640
Circular Logic
土は幻に
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
A question to Naoya:

Have you been to Osaka's Den Den Town (日本橋)?

If so, how similar is it to Akihabara?

Also, TinyRedLeaf, a worker at 7-11 or a similar combini gets about 800 yen an hour. But that's not a proper job.
Circular Logic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
culture, discussion, japan, japanese culture

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:09.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.