AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Macross

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 98 56.32%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 46 26.44%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 20 11.49%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 1.15%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 1.72%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.15%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.57%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.15%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-06-06, 17:21   Link #141
Tak
☭ автомат Калашникова ☭
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Neu Herzogtum Zeon
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamzaOwns View Post
too bad they didnt put roy focker in the movie
Well, I was expecting to see Nora and co, or even a SV-51 prop!

But thats ok, I am just happy this episode was quality consistent with the other ones. I have no idea what the hell ever happened to episode 8, that was one weird experience.

- Tak (At least I saw Roy's ex!)
Tak is offline  
Old 2008-06-06, 17:43   Link #142
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
Just playing devil's advocate here.

ThoHell makes an interesting point. Though it can be reversed any time soon, Ranka so far has been set up to be the underdog, and stories usually has a bias for such characters, setting them up for something possibly rewarding or fulfilling in the end. Moreover, in this day and age where "moe" and "cuteness" pretty much rule over anything, it's hard to ignore the significance of Ranka's character design, which can be argued to be a form of marketing and typecasting all in one.

However, I also see your view as well. Kawamori's preferences still has to be taken into account, and he doesn't simply treat love triangles as a rivalry between opposites with the third person stuck in the middle. (Misa/Hikaru/Minmei, Isamu/Myung/Guld, etc.) It all boils down less on who is the "better" choice per se, but more on who ends up being the "right" one for that person in the end.

It's difficult to predict things at this point, and with those two main factors in place, I'd say it's 50-50 for both outcomes.
I just don't see Ranka being the underdog for episodes 5-23 though. I fully expect Ranka to take the lead very soon which would than cast Sheryl in the underdog role. And yes I know that in this day and age that Moe dominates, I'm just hoping Kawamori doesn't let us down. For Alto I'm at Sheryl 50%, Ranka Alive 25%, Ranka Dead 25% (bittersweet ending).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
I just want to bring up a little point here

Was it just me, or did anyone else think that Sara played by Miss Frontier was just... ugh?

She completely ruined my image of Sara.
I think that was the point and hence Ranka's Mao Nome just outshined Miss Macross's Sara Nome comprehensively.
Westlo is offline  
Old 2008-06-06, 17:53   Link #143
Delphin
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Tokyo
oh my...
The broadcasting time shifted.
I cant possible to record to the last minute.
Horrible shock. (>_<)


new op/ed song is decided.
op "Lion" ed "Northancross"

from Mayn's official8月6日発売!!
『ライオン』May'n/中島愛
“ライオン”
(マクロスF 新OPテーマ)
歌:May'n/中島愛

“ノーザンクロス”
(マクロスF 新EDテーマ)
歌:シェリルノーム starring May'n

Last edited by Delphin; 2008-06-06 at 18:23.
Delphin is offline  
Old 2008-06-06, 18:29   Link #144
xiangkc
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
chinese bootleg?

Am I watching chinese bootleg I mean... the fight theme is just terrible...
If we didn't see ranka kissing in action this episode would be pointless.
6!! for that poor quality theme
xiangkc is offline  
Old 2008-06-06, 18:31   Link #145
Tsuchiro
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphin View Post

new op/ed song is decided.
op "Lion" ed "Northancross"

from Mayn's official8月6日発売!!
『ライオン』May'n/中島愛
“ライオン”
(マクロスF 新OPテーマ)
歌:May'n/中島愛

“ノーザンクロス”
(マクロスF 新EDテーマ)
歌:シェリルノーム starring May'n
kinda late on that and btw the op is a duet
Tsuchiro is offline  
Old 2008-06-06, 19:01   Link #146
Ashlotte
Clockwork
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
I started out being a fan of RankaxAlto, but damnit they have just consistently fleshed out sheryl's character that I couldn't help but turn traitor...

Ranka just feels too shallow character depth wise and not a complete person...Whereas sheryl always comes off as her own unique being full of vibrant energy. Best way I can phrase it I guess is that Sheryl exhibits more qualities of a woman in love enjoying life, whereas ranka seems to be the silly schoolgirl with a crush...

Heres hoping the next episode is the start of a trend for ranka becoming alittle less two dimensional.
__________________

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline  
Old 2008-06-06, 19:16   Link #147
coroloro
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
I personally have no doubt in my mind that in the end, we'll see Ranka "winning out" over Sheryl. It just fits the 'vibe' I get from the show thus far and from my understanding of anime plots thus far. I'd bet money on it, if I had money to bet. :P

I think that Ranka's character is not necessarily any less than Sheryls, rather it is simply the fact that they are two VERY different characters at very different stages in their lives. Sheryl is, in her life now, where Ranka -could- be eventually... yet in other says, Sheryl is less mature than Ranka. Right now we see Sheryl being fleshed out a lot- because the character did indeed seem rather shallow. But we are seeing seeds planted for the future development of Ranka as well. It is pretty clear to me that Ranka is the "lead female" here- she will be the key to everything that unfolds from here on out, and in the end I have a feeling some special power or unique past/background will develop with things only she can do. Likely it will be up to Alto to rescue her and bond with her in some unique way, and Sheryl will have to let him go.

Or have you guys not seen enough Animes with that exact same kind of plot with similar types of characters to get the same 'feeling' I have on this one? :P I felt from the first episode, and the second, and then on that it was clear Ranka was being set up as the one who would win Alto. If they do anything else, it will be a very sharp break from previous plot trends in most anime and quite a surprise- I welcome it if so, nice to get something 'different'... though I do kind of like Ranka over Sheryl.

PS- I think anyone who has seen some of the original Macross series (I didn't see it all- couldn't STAND the old style American dub... ick), but what I saw of it leads me to see a very clear parallel between Ranka's journey from normality to fame with the journey of the lead female in the original. It is, of course, a far deeper and more realistic journey- and I don't know if Ranka will make some of the same poor choices the lead in the original did, or if perhaps Sheryl embodies a bit more of someone who made those choices.

Last edited by coroloro; 2008-06-06 at 19:19. Reason: Add a little more depth to comment
coroloro is offline  
Old 2008-06-06, 19:24   Link #148
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Somewhere in California
Age: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimichi View Post
I started out being a fan of RankaxAlto, but damnit they have just consistently fleshed out sheryl's character that I couldn't help but turn traitor...

Ranka just feels too shallow character depth wise and not a complete person...Whereas sheryl always comes off as her own unique being full of vibrant energy. Best way I can phrase it I guess is that Sheryl exhibits more qualities of a woman in love enjoying life, whereas ranka seems to be the silly schoolgirl with a crush...

Heres hoping the next episode is the start of a trend for ranka becoming alittle less two dimensional.
Actually I agree....LOL, it's odd to be posting in animesuki again when I used to be a regular in the Mai Hime section a LONG time ago.

But anyhow...I keep getting this KOR (Kimagure Orange Road) vibe with Sheryl as Madoka being the "good friend" and pushing and supporting Alto and Ranka when all this time she's been secretly pining her him as well. And for those who are familiar with KOR would know who won out in the end...

....but then again, that's just my take on things and may not necessarily be accurate.

I guess the thing that makes Sheryl so attractive is her intense drive and professionalism as others have stated. I LOVE the fact that she doesn't play this damsel in distress.

I'm completely sick of females portrayed in such a "needy" light....*shrugs*...perhaps I myself am living vicariously through Sheryl LOL....I just love that she doesn't take crap from anyone.

On a rather different note....I've never been into the whole"Moe/Cute" factor so Sheryl is VERY refreshing. It's like Tsundere Candy...hard on the outside and soft on the inside Hahaha!

But back on topic, I watched this episode yesterday and found it enlightening. I'm a bit intrigured with Brere at the moment and desire to know more about him...especially that jewel that Leon received...I just immediately thought of Sheryl.


I've been a Macross Head since 1982 but I admit there are a lot of details about the universe that I had forgotten...i think it's time for me to review a lot of stuff....LOL, I still have those original Macross clamshells lying around...maybe I should just invest in the DVD version.

I too had to rewatch some parts of Macross Zero to prepare for this episode and it was a hoot! Anyhow, this latest installment from Kawamori-san has exceeded my expectations so I'm definitely looking forward to more.

Oh well...sorry for spamming this side of the forum with my useless comments....just wanted to comment on how enamored I am with the series at the moment. I just feel that this is such an excellent homage to the original.

Perhaps I'll try to be a regular here from now on....the Mai Hime forum is pretty dead right now hence the reason why I haven't visited animesuki as much .



--Lone Wolf
一匹狼

===================
Lone Wolf's blog of NatShiz
http://ippikiookami.squarespace.com
lone_wolf is offline  
Old 2008-06-06, 19:26   Link #149
Haesslich
Go to DMC! Go to DMC!
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisidor
Grace is reminding me more and more of Motoko Kusanagi, starting with wireless comm, uber hacking skillz and now she seems to be able to use a matrix-like agent proxy body to exchange info with Leon. Why this conclusion? If you watch carefully while Leon was talking to his subordinate and watching the VF-27 video, he receives a Confidential Message from "G" right before the scene ends. Also Inoue Kikuko, Grace O'Connor's seiyuu is credited in this episode despite the character not appearing at all. Finally we could also conclude the voice commanding Brera is her too, since Brera has a cyborg body and might come from Galaxy and infiltrated Frontier at the same time Sheryl and her arrived. As for their agenda, we'll have to wait till they reveal more.
Nice to see that meme I've used elsewhere referenced at last. But yes, she seems to be more than just a manager now... especially with the hacking, and the way she may indeed be connected with Brera, and possibly what happened with Galaxy, given that the episode that both of them made their real debuts in their dual roles (Grace stealing the Fold Comm feed from the Frontier's systems, Brera as the cyborg pilot), and possibly with what actually happened with the Galaxy.

Also, Brera made me think of Miyu during that last bit, with the way he's... weaponized.

I suspect that Mao Nome may indeed have either had a descendant, in the form of Ranka or Sheryl (or both, even - as a mother in her forties, or as a grandmother)... or, like someone else suggested, had some other involvement with Ranka and the 117th Fleet, given that she had early contact with the Protoculture artifacts.

Spoiler:


And for all you pairing folks, I'm tempted to root for MikhailxAlto, KleinxAlto, or BobbyxAlto (this latter one has always admired Alto, charged in for the rescue with the cry of 'I'm coming to save you, Princess!' in episode 7, and may have been referring to Alto during that 'I'll kill you if you hurt Ranka' speech in episode 9), just to piss y'all off.

As far as I recall, Kawamori's stated he doesn't want the stories to be exact copies, which means that Sheryl and Alto may not be the 'end couple', just as Ranka and Alto may not be one. Or there may not even BE a couple, but just a mutual admiration society... there's certainly precedent for it, as Misa and Minmay made their peace and became good friends as well, enough so that all of them went off together in Megaroad 01 to create a legend.

P.S.: Am I the only one annoyed that all these 'shippers' are pairing Ranka and Brera up just as they're trying to pair up Sheryl and Alto because they 'look good together'? Isn't that what everyone said in-universe about Minmay and Kaifun? Especially if Brera does bear any relation to Ranka? Seriously, folks... not everything's about 'looking good' together - else Hollywood marriages would all have happy endings, and all those good-looking couples wouldn't be divorcing all over the place.
Haesslich is offline  
Old 2008-06-06, 19:31   Link #150
Manji Midou
Aimo ~ Tori no Hito
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
I just don't see Ranka being the underdog for episodes 5-23 though. I fully expect Ranka to take the lead very soon which would than cast Sheryl in the underdog role. And yes I know that in this day and age that Moe dominates, I'm just hoping Kawamori doesn't let us down. For Alto I'm at Sheryl 50%, Ranka Alive 25%, Ranka Dead 25% (bittersweet ending).

........
For Alto I'm at Ranka 30% and sheryl dead 70%....>_>;
In all seriousness now....Sheryl has the advantage so far...but from the macross I've seen...those with the lead at the start end up coming at the end limping with the lost....hopefully that formula doesn't change!!
Ranka looked so adorable...when she saw the kiss scene...
Manji Midou is offline  
Old 2008-06-06, 19:38   Link #151
1nakata
Akiraman
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Macross 10 Review / Impressions Screens and Video up at my site

screen walking Video: Dailymotion, Vimeo

When I saw the opening Scene looks just like a Macross Zero I knew this was going to be good. I do hope that Ranka and Alto get together in the end. They have yet to resolve Ranka's singing affecting the Vajra.
__________________
1nakata is offline  
Old 2008-06-06, 19:40   Link #152
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by coroloro View Post
Or have you guys not seen enough Animes with that exact same kind of plot with similar types of characters to get the same 'feeling' I have on this one? :P I felt from the first episode, and the second, and then on that it was clear Ranka was being set up as the one who would win Alto. If they do anything else, it will be a very sharp break from previous plot trends in most anime and quite a surprise- I welcome it if so, nice to get something 'different'... though I do kind of like Ranka over Sheryl.
Once again I think the Shouji Kawamori factor will come into play here, it would be utterly disappointing if he ends this in a conventional way. Personally I think people should ignore trends for shows like this, especially ones based on VN novels.. focus on who is more right for Alto because more than likely that will be the person who ends up winning, not the girl who fits the usual winners archetype more than the other.

Look at the stuff in episode 10 Ranka found out about Alto, him being with Sheryl a lot, his past acting, she doesn't really know much about him and at the moment it's closer to a high school girl crush. This isn't the formula for a winner in a Kawamori show I'll tell you now... though I expect things to change.

Sheryl otoh gets Alto on the "why do we fly/sing level" and her words about Destiny Alto mimicked when he told Ozma he wanted to join SMS. She also understands him on the acting part since she's been a star for a few years now while Ranka is just starting up right now.

Also while Ranka may be the lead female Sheryl isn't exactly her Siesta to Ranka's Louise, or her Yoshida compared to Ranka's Shana etc. I personally doubt whoever is more important to the plot is going to also win the romantic stakes. Ranka and Sheryl are both very even, every episode that has focused on the other more has had undertones for the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
As far as I recall, Kawamori's stated he doesn't want the stories to be exact copies, which means that Sheryl and Alto may not be the 'end couple', just as Ranka and Alto may not be one.
We're already way away from this being a direct copy of the relationship. Atm we're getting a reverse Minmei with Ranka/Alto and episode 5 Sheryl and Alto's date was rather similar to DYRL Minmei's date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone_wolf View Post
But anyhow...I keep getting this KOR (Kimagure Orange Road) vibe with Sheryl as Madoka being the "good friend" and pushing and supporting Alto and Ranka when all this time she's been secretly pining her him as well. And for those who are familiar with KOR would know who won out in the end...
Madoka is awesome like Sheryl, thankfully Ranka is nowhere near as annoying as KOR's Hikaru. Misa/Madoka/Sheryl > Minmei/Hikaru/Ranka
Westlo is offline  
Old 2008-06-06, 20:06   Link #153
Aquifina
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Look at the stuff in episode 10 Ranka found out about Alto, him being with Sheryl a lot, his past acting, she doesn't really know much about him and at the moment it's closer to a high school girl crush. This isn't the formula for a winner in a Kawamori show I'll tell you now... though I expect things to change.

Sheryl otoh gets Alto on the "why do we fly/sing level" and her words about Destiny Alto mimicked when he told Ozma he wanted to join SMS. She also understands him on the acting part since she's been a star for a few years now while Ranka is just starting up right now.

Also while Ranka may be the lead female Sheryl isn't exactly her Siesta to Ranka's Louise, or her Yoshida compared to Ranka's Shana etc. I personally doubt whoever is more important to the plot is going to also win the romantic stakes. Ranka and Sheryl are both very even, every episode that has focused on the other more has had undertones for the other.
All true, but Ranka also took Alto's acting advice to heart, and she ended up a natural at it. And Ranka's own purpose for singing--to be heard--is also similar to Alto's reason for piloting; both were also tightly linked with the observatory scene way back in the ep where Alto joined SMS. I also don't think Sheryl really knows that much *more* about Alto than Ranka; I don't think *anyone's* really all that emotionally close to Alto, especially when it comes to his past, which he talks about as little as possible. Earlier, Ranka talks about how Alto actually listens to her, unlike Ozma, and Alto despite being rough jagged-edged, *does* actually give pretty good advice and encourage her, so I think things go beyond a blind crush. There's also something to be said about how Ranka's song calmed Alto during the observatory scene before he finally decided on joining SMS--IIRC, he was pretty furious at Michel at the time, and we saw Alto actually being something other than contemptuously indifferent or downright angry. Sheryl sorta had a similar scene when he tried to give back the earring, but the Ranka vibe struck me as more important.

Finally, I don't agree with other comments that Ranka is a "shallow" character--she's not just a moeblob--her acting ability certainly showed as much. Alto's philosophy about acting all rests on emotional awareness and empathy, and Ranka absorbed that to such an extent she couldn't play Mao's role until she saw Sheryl steal that kiss. And once she started *acting*, she lost all the awkwardness and timidity that sometimes marks her character. That empathy may be important for a character like Alto, so beset by more adolescent angst than usual due to his family history. And we've seen her stand up to Ozma on the whole singing issue.

Anyhow, I do agree with you that both female characters are *very* even, which is why this is a very good triangle. There's real uncertainty about pretty much everything; I still find Ranka way too charming, but Sheryl's character certainly has its strong points. It'll be interesting to see how they do things in the next ep. My guess is that we'll start to see Ranka being much more assertive, although that may or may not mean her "winning" in the end. But I think she's admitted to herself what she feels for Alto (comparing herself to Mao indicates that), while strangely enough, Sheryl may NOT have done that--Sheryl denying the importance of that kiss may indicate that. And Alto of course is a complete meathead when it comes to this sort of thing.
Aquifina is offline  
Old 2008-06-06, 20:19   Link #154
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquifina View Post
All true, but Ranka also took Alto's acting advice to heart, and she ended up a natural at it. And Ranka's own purpose for singing--to be heard--is also similar to Alto's reason for piloting; both were also tightly linked with the observatory scene way back in the ep where Alto joined SMS.
The difference is that Alto asked that question and Sheryl answered it so ALto knows that Sheryl "gets" it. Minor thing really but these sort of things will add up over the course of the series for both girls.

Quote:
I also don't think Sheryl really knows that much *more* about Alto than Ranka; I don't think *anyone's* really all that emotionally close to Alto, especially when it comes to his past, which he talks about as little as possible. Earlier, Ranka talks about how Alto actually listens to her, unlike Ozma, and Alto despite being rough jagged-edged, *does* actually give pretty good advice and encourage her, so I think things go beyond a blind crush.
I still feel like she doesn't "get" Alto at the moment, compared to Sheryl. But like I said that will change.

Quote:
There's also something to be said about how Ranka's song calmed Alto during the observatory scene before he finally decided on joining SMS--IIRC, he was pretty furious at Michel at the time, and we saw Alto actually being something other than contemptuously indifferent or downright angry. Sheryl sorta had a similar scene when he tried to give back the earring, but the Ranka vibe struck me as more important.
I don't know how much importance to put into that scene since the manga skipped it completely. Went straight from the shelter to Ozma in hospital and he was accepted right there. They did make the Miss Macross part have a stronger AltoxRanka vibe though.

Quote:
Anyhow, I do agree with you that both female characters are *very* even, which is why this is a very good triangle. There's real uncertainty about pretty much everything; I still find Ranka way too charming, but Sheryl's character certainly has its strong points. It'll be interesting to see how they do things in the next ep.
Yes the best triangles leave you guessing and this is shaping up to be a good one in that regard.
Westlo is offline  
Old 2008-06-06, 20:22   Link #155
Haesslich
Go to DMC! Go to DMC!
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
We're already way away from this being a direct copy of the relationship. Atm we're getting a reverse Minmei with Ranka/Alto and episode 5 Sheryl and Alto's date was rather similar to DYRL Minmei's date.
We're far from it, yes, but at the same time all this shipping reminds me of it due to the way people are saying that Ranka will win because she's the underdog, just as people say Sheryl will 'win' as she's the Misa-type, older and more mature.

I hates it. We hates it like we hates Naruto. We hates it with a passion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquifina
All true, but Ranka also took Alto's acting advice to heart, and she ended up a natural at it. And Ranka's own purpose for singing--to be heard--is also similar to Alto's reason for piloting; both were also tightly linked with the observatory scene way back in the ep where Alto joined SMS. I also don't think Sheryl really knows that much *more* about Alto than Ranka; I don't think *anyone's* really all that emotionally close to Alto, especially when it comes to his past, which he talks about as little as possible. Earlier, Ranka talks about how Alto actually listens to her, unlike Ozma, and Alto despite being rough jagged-edged, *does* actually give pretty good advice and encourage her, so I think things go beyond a blind crush. There's also something to be said about how Ranka's song calmed Alto during the observatory scene before he finally decided on joining SMS--IIRC, he was pretty furious at Michel at the time, and we saw Alto actually being something other than contemptuously indifferent or downright angry. Sheryl sorta had a similar scene when he tried to give back the earring, but the Ranka vibe struck me as more important.
Ranka and Alto are certainly closer than 'just friends' - remembering back during episode 4, he stayed up in bed to read her messages and to respond. They're both trying to make their own marks in the world (Ranka wants to be heard, Alto wants to escape his father's shadow) outside of those formed by their relatives (or lack of). And initially, Alto's purpose was to protect Ranka - only later, after Sheryl pointed out some people did things 'because they wanted to, or were meant to' that he took on the role as much for himself as for 'another', just as Ranka's only now starting to escape the 'I'm doing this because Alto encouraged me to' one that showed up in earlier episodes (like the Mall performance in Ep 5 was triggered by seeing Alto's paper plane). She's starting to find herself, and like any adolescent, is having some difficulty doing so.

They're certainly close, although Sheryl's also catching up to some degree... but doing so with both of them. With Ranka, she's seemingly taken a proprietary interest in someone who either reminds her of herself... or someone that she wanted to be, and is actively encouraging that talent. The shocker of this episode may as much have to do with trying to goad Ranka on, as much as to tease Alto. Or because she really wanted to.

Besides, I suspect there will at LEAST be a solid friendship at the end between all three, if they survive. They started that back in episode 3 in the shelter, and things since then have continued it even if there's a possible rivalry due to their roles in one another's lives. Ranka's starting to become more conscious of the fact that she DOES like Alto, which is at least a step in developing any real feelings towards him beyond that of gratitude for saving her life... or for listening and being the encouraging friend without being presumptuous like Nanase can be at times.

In some ways, Alto's usurped Ozma's position as the most important male figure in Ranka's life... but Ozma did it to himself. I'm sure Lt. Glass will be most happy to tell him why he can't just be gruff with everyone... or Bobby might go GARby and end up doing so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo
I still feel like she doesn't "get" Alto at the moment, compared to Sheryl. But like I said that will change.
That's because Ranka's still a kid, emotionally.. and she's yet to really grasp the emotional undercurrents which drive a lot of adult relationships. She's starting to grow up, though - and that'll change everything. Right now, the dynamics of their interactions are confined by the fact that Alto's aware she's very young... and because Ranka's still in needy-child mode, since she's yet to move out of onii-chan's shadow. Ozma is, at least, recognizing he can't be her overbearing oniichan forever, which is why he let Elmo sign her in the first place, and gave her that speech in episode 7 about that.
Haesslich is offline  
Old 2008-06-06, 20:50   Link #156
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manji Midou View Post
........
For Alto I'm at Ranka 30% and sheryl dead 70%....>_>;
In all seriousness now....Sheryl has the advantage so far...but from the macross I've seen...those with the lead at the start end up coming at the end limping with the lost....hopefully that formula doesn't change!!
Ranka looked so adorable...when she saw the kiss scene...
I'm not saying I think Ranka might die because I want her out the way, I actually like her just nowhere near as much as I like Sheryl. In general I prefer Sheryl's archetype the most anyway and she's one of the better examples from it in years.

I do get some death vibes from Ranka due to her connection with the Varja and it's kinda increasing because unless I missed it (and it would've been a bad miss...) the last line from the 6 month old Frontier promo vid wasn't said in this episode.

Read and watch at your own risk, line #6 was said in episode 8. Line #5 and #7 have yet to be said.

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...&postcount=124

Notice how emotional that line is said too... great job by Megumi. It seems a lot of the voice acting was done a while ago or maybe that just did some key lines... and if that's the case than the last one is a very key line. Of course the line could be said in a

Spoiler:


Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich
That's because Ranka's still a kid, emotionally.. and she's yet to really grasp the emotional undercurrents which drive a lot of adult relationships. She's starting to grow up, though - and that'll change everything.
That's why I said it will change because I expect the same thing. Of course I don't expect Sheryl to stay static in regards to "getting" Alto while Ranka grows up.

Quote:
I do suspect, given Sheryl's rather formidable self-restraint, that this kiss was indeed deliberate... either to tease Alto, or to goad Ranka on with her role, since the latter admitted she wasn't sure how Mao felt, after Alto's advice on how to play the role. Teasing Alto may have been a side effect, or the way it goaded Ranka on was, but it seemed almost as deliberate as the talisman-drop-into-the-cleavage, or the 'oh, my lost earring' acts.

Now, the BLUSH on the other hand, may not be feigned. Whether she's embarassed by it, whether it's possibly her first kiss as well, or whether she just isn't as good an actress as she feels she is... that felt more real than the kiss did. Mind you, it had a pretty positive effect on Ranka, by crystalizing the disquieting feelings into something that let her take action later on, in her big scene.
Yes it was deliberate but I don't think it was to goad Ranka on, how was she to know that Ranka might look over in her direction for the short time she was kissing Alto. It's not like she made a scene beforehand to make sure Ranka would be looking over. She was definitely serious about the kiss though, notice her eyes, she put on an act afterwards with the "I can't believe you were serious thing" though.
Westlo is offline  
Old 2008-06-06, 20:54   Link #157
Tsuchiro
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Read and watch at your own risk, line #6 was said in episode 8. Line #5 and #7 have yet to be said.

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...&postcount=124

actually line #6 hasn't been said yet... its a bit different from the one in episode 8
Tsuchiro is offline  
Old 2008-06-06, 20:57   Link #158
Gsus
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Holland
Age: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroy0097 View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Gsus is offline  
Old 2008-06-06, 21:01   Link #159
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuchiro View Post
actually line #6 hasn't been said yet... its a bit different from the one in episode 8
Hmm she's dropped the slave thing though hasn't she... maybe that line was rerecorded?
Westlo is offline  
Old 2008-06-06, 21:04   Link #160
Tsuchiro
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Hmm she's dropped the slave thing though hasn't she... maybe that line was rerecorded?
still doesn't stop her from saying it again
Tsuchiro is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:39.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.