AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-06-07, 11:30   Link #1
raptured

Talking Romance + ACTION!

Howdy everyone!

I've been going crazy lately because I haven't watched any animes or read any mangas for a long time. And now, I WANT TO! ... Finally because I have time to.

Haha.

Well my preference is an Action or Mystery based anime or manga, with ROMANCE in it!

It doesn't have to be superduper tons of romance, just enough to get a girl by. Suggest me lots of different ANIMES and MANGAS (and if there is one with a version for both media, tell me which one was better) with different degrees of romance in it. But: the action or mystery is important.

Only romance kills. I've read and watched wayy to many of those.

Also, IF YOU CAN: please please suggest some that are completed or NEAR completion! And I will have a special place in my heart for you all forever, because I despise waiting for something good. ><

Already read or watched:

Manga: Bleach, Naruto, Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne, Basra, Meru Puri, Mekakushi No Kuni, Anatolia Story, Can't Lose You, Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle, Mars, Zettai Kerashi, Perfect Girl Evolution, Hot Gimmick, Tenshi Ja Nai, Pretty Face, Angel Dust, Dear Mine, Chobits, Red Lion, Hot Blooded Woman, Crimson Hero, Suzuka, Eternity, Ah! My Goddess, Hana Kimi, Full Moon Wo Sagashite, Pretear, Aisheteruze Baby, Pretty Face, Basara, Dramacon, Ultra Maniac, Samurai Baby, A Thousand Years of Snow, Ayashi No Ceres, Eternal Sabbath, Arcana Soul, Zettai Kerashi, Happy Hustle High, Hana Kimi, Fruits Basket, Shaman King, Girl Got Game! (Power), Anatolia Story, Death Note...

Anime: Blood +, Inu Yasha, Full Metal Alchemist, Full Metal Panic / Second Raid, Mai Hime, Eureka 7, Escaflowne, The Place Promised In Our Dreams, Spirited Away, Cardcaptor Sakura, Ouran High School Host Club, Good Witch of the West, Fate / Stay Night, RahXephon, Shakugan No Shana, Zero No Tsukaima, Elemetal Gerad, Fushigi Yuugi, Flame of Recca, Chrno Crusade, Gunparade March, Haruka Naru Toki No Naka De: Hachiyoushou, The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi, Elfen Lied...
Old 2008-06-07, 11:38   Link #2
Westlo
Lets be reality

Check out Macross, Macross Plus and Macross Zero, than by the time you get through them the currently airing Macross Frontier should be near completion. All of the Macross shows are stand alone though knowing the history of prior shows does help. All shows feature plenty of mecha action as well as romance, the guy in charge of Macross is Shouji Kawamori who was behind the Vision of Escaflowne which you've seen.
Old 2008-06-07, 14:18   Link #3
incube
Dango Master
*IT Support

I also love this kind of anime but i think i watched almost all of them already =(

Here are some you are missing:

Kaze no Stigma
Busou Renkin
Kekkaishi
Shounen Onmyouji
Rental Magica
Gundam Seed & Gundam Seed Destiny
Inukami
Chronicle of Tsubasa
Maburaho
Kenichi
Old 2008-06-08, 11:22   Link #4
Telmah

Send a message via AIM to Telmah Send a message via MSN to Telmah
Must Sees

Utawarerumono
is my all time favorite for fantasy/action/romance anime. There's plenty of fighting as the story develops both in mass combat and personal duels. I feel the romance is slow to develop...but more realistic and less repetitive/boring/predictable then the most pure "romantic" anime...that do the entire chain of, the main couple grows closer, they fight, then grow closer, repeat, routine. Definitely the anime over the manga...the manga seems short lived and side stories--like drawn fanfiction. The anime is what I consider the best of the best.

Voices of A Distant Star. This is a single 20 minute ova...that's it. I used to think that in such a tiny amount of time, you couldn't develop characters at all or have a meaningful story. It proved me wrong...completely. There's some slick mecha scenes but the action is clearly second fiddle to a show that questions what is the strongest force in the universe...poetic and a must see.

Air, Kanon, and Clannad all have mysterious elements and romantic ones (Air more than the other two though)--all are produced by the same studio. If you haven't seen them, then they are a treat, though the focus is more on comedy than the other two (without being coarse like many shows).

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni is a murder mystery with romance added in. I am still watching it myself but after 13 episodes, it's been a treat. It isn't the easiest story to follow though and there's ample voice and even to the point of being graphic. There's traces of romance, but only traces so far...

Finally I'll add in Princess Tutu. I was leery about watching it, because of the name and the first few episodes I struggled through because it seemed monster of the week...the only that kept me interested was the classic ballet the show was set to. It seems like a slightly above average magic girl show, akin to Cardcaptor Sakura. Then it decided to get really good. The characters became dynamic and the ending amazing, and you started to learn about the mysterious surrounding the town. The second season was nothing short of amazing..it didn't let me go, I couldn't break away from watching more and more. Even the ending was very decisive and strong and it rates among the best things I've seen.

Strong

Scrapped Princess admitted again the romance takes a second fiddle to the action, but this series also has a bit of mystery to it. It always makes me think of Full Metal Alchemist in terms of character likability.

Shion no Oh is an aspiring female prodigy shoujo player's rise to fame...with a crazy monkey wrench thrown in, that her parents were killed when she was a child and she's trying to unravel it...there's just a bit of romance...I think the story has finished but it's not been released in the states yet and the fan subs are still ongoing...I think I read the translator moved.

Magic Knights Rayearth is another Clamp anime (like Cardcaptor Sakura or Tsubasa Chronicles. It's about three girls that get teleported to a mystic land, akin to The Vision of Eschaflowne. It has one of most shocking endings I've seen in anime, for the first season. The romance isn't over done in the first season among the main characters which I liked, but the second season has insane amounts all over the place...and even is a bit too much. On a side note, Monoka originates in this series.

On a side note, I salute you for watching Good Witch of the West--Astraea Testament, no one seems to have seen or heard of it, but I thought it was decent.
Old 2008-06-08, 12:39   Link #5
Hayaku
Ecchi go Boom 0(^.^)0

Hayate No Gotoku - Not sure if it is your cup of tea, but it has action in it, and some (moronic, IDIOTIC) romance in it, mostly based on misinterpretations (from episode 01) but is really enjoyable ^.^

Shingetsutan Tsukihime - Ohh yes, Ohh yes, this is indeed mysterious, but the romance is also awesome ^-^ Sorry I can't go further
into details but that is only because I only have had time to watch 3 episodes, but I like it, even though it is horror.

Also, I second the Macross series. Really enjoyable ^.^

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Old 2008-06-09, 01:49   Link #6
cerrian

My personal favorite for the romance+action category is Crest/Banner of the Stars because it follows one of the great anime couples as they go through an intergalactic war.
Old 2008-06-19, 12:32   Link #7
raptured

Awesome thanks guys!
These should def keep me busy! XD
Old 2008-06-19, 12:57   Link #8
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

I'm terrible at listing stuff, so I'll just suggest a random one or two as a drive-by of sorts.

You listed TRS in your reading list; have you read its sister series xxxHolic? There's not as much action -- much less in fact -- but definitely a lot more mystery; and while the romance isn't as obvious as the Syaoran x Sakura pair, Watanuki does have a few relationships in his life that are sort of quasi-romantic in the famously ambiguous CLAMP tradition.

Read the manga or watch the anime; you can do either, or better, both. I.G. did a really good job adapting CLAMP's manga, but didn't really improve on it all that much.

You've also listed Full Metal Panic! TSR (lol: TSR, TRS; confusing acronyms). I'll assume you have seen the first series -- but did you see the spin-off Fumoffu yet?

It's not a straightforward action series like the first season and TSR, but rather a series of one-shot comedies. But seriously, it's FMP. There may be no mechas, except for Bonta-kun, but there's certainly movement and "action" galore. And since it's a slice-of-life spin-off of the main series, the romance sequences are kinda nicer too.

Oh, and your list is also missing the legendary Cowboy Bebop. Indisputably one of the coolest series ever made. Well, not indisputably, since there are always some ignorant barbarians who disagree, but we'll ignore that shall we?

One can argue whether "he" gets the girl or not in the end, considering what happened, but no one can argue that it's certainly an action-filled series, with a few tinges of mystery mixed in among the episodic adventures.
Old 2008-06-20, 15:17   Link #9
Niji

History's strongest deciple Kenichi you should check out too. At least if you do not mind that the hero starts out as a "weakling"
Closed Thread

Tags
action, romance, manga, anime