AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2008-06-16, 17:55   Link #1
manganime

Slow speeds with wireless router

Hi, I am experiencing very slow speeds on any torrent, I am using utorrent, when I was hard wired I had no problems.

I am aware about portfowarding and that ports need to be opened and links are given in the FAQ but I have already attempted to open ports following step by step instructions from other forums but my speed hasn't changed I am using a netgear DG834GT wireless router and have opened ports from 6881 to 6999 but made no difference. COuld somebod please plase please help me out??

Thanx alot in advance
manganime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-16, 20:16   Link #2
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Set your torrent client and router to use some random port above 30000 or so. Ports in the 6881 to 6999 range are often throttled by ISPs because these are the well-known BT ports. All decent BT clients nowadays allow you to pick any port you want (above 1023; those below are reserved). You just need to make sure that the port you pick is the one your BT client uses, and the one your router is configured to pass through.

You really only need one port configured to pass through "TCP" packets.
Old 2008-06-16, 21:20   Link #3
Ledgem
Love Yourself

When you were hard-wired were you connecting through the same router? Is your wireless reception good?
Old 2008-06-17, 18:20   Link #4
manganime

Thanx for the replies so far,

I have got a yellow exclaimation mark at the bottom of the screen and when my mouse is over it a message read 'No incoming Connections. Unless the icon turns green, it could indicate a problem with your network configuration'.

I've tried opening ports between 30000-30200 and set the port as 30100 but hasn't seemed to do the trick. I have also tried enabling the protocol encryption and my max number of connections is quite high already.

I was connected by LAN cable at another house with another router, at home now with wireless getting terrible upload and download speed, my internet connection is okay otherwise just sluggish with torrents so don't really think it's anything to do with interferece or a problem with the internet connection itself.
Old 2008-06-17, 20:40   Link #5
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Is there a software firewall on the machine running the torrent client? If so, you'll need to disable it or open the port you specified.

Also you need to actually forward the ports back to the torrent machine. Just opening the port isn't enough. You have to tell the router to take all inbound traffic to port 30100 and direct it to the torrent machine on the same port. Perhaps that's what you've done, but opening the port just means the router won't reject traffic intended for that port. Unless there's a port forwarding rule the router still won't know what to do with those packets.
Old 2008-06-21, 07:47   Link #6
manganime

I have zonealarm running which controls all my programs but I have utorrent as a trusted program but don't believe that is a problem since it didn't cause any probelms when I was hardwired.

Okay what I have done is opened ports between 30000-30200 and set utorrent to use port 30100 for incoming connections, is there something additional I need to do in order for the inbound traffic to be directed to my client??

I am getting inconsistency with my client, sometimes I get the yellow exclaimation mark below,but I also get the red one and at times also get the green tick telling me my network connection is working like it should. I also get speeds up to 40ish kB/s but I know I should still be getting over 100kB/s, so I don't know what's causing this inconsistency now.
Old 2008-06-21, 10:59   Link #7
Antares
Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by manganime View Post
I am getting inconsistency with my client, sometimes I get the yellow exclaimation mark below,but I also get the red one and at times also get the green tick telling me my network connection is working like it should. I also get speeds up to 40ish kB/s but I know I should still be getting over 100kB/s, so I don't know what's causing this inconsistency now.
Does the inconsistency happen during a single session or whenever you disconnect and reconnect to your router?

Make sure your router is forwarding to the correct IP address. Whenever you reconnect, Windows might assign a different IP address if you don't have static IP enable. Some router does not update the new address for port forwarding.
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-21, 13:56   Link #8
manganime

Yeah I think so, like usually on different days, I have been connected pretty much all day today and its stayed green. Do I have to enable static IP through my client or router?
Old 2008-06-21, 14:52   Link #9
Antares
Haruhiist

Quote:
Yeah I think so, like usually on different days, I have been connected pretty much all day today and its stayed green. Do I have to enable static IP through my client or router?
http://portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm
http://portforward.com/english/route...T/Utorrent.htm

Hope that will help.
Old 2008-06-21, 15:49   Link #10
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Some consumer routers, like my Linksys WRT54GS, won't support static IP addressing unless you install third-party firmware. Not having static addressing can be a pain in the neck if you're forwarding ports. Just the other night I had to change all the destination addresses in the router because I'd gotten a different IP address at boot.

If your router allows you to assign a specific IP address to a specific "MAC" address, that's the method you should adopt. The router should be able to tell you the MAC address of your computer's wireless card, then just tell the router to always assign a specific IP address to that MAC address. If you can't find the MAC address in the router, Windows will show it to you in the "Network Connections" part of the Control Panel. If you're not averse to typing in a couple of commands, the best method to learn about your computer's networking status is to use the "ipconfig" command in Windows. Start > Run > type cmd in the box > OK. Then type "ipconfig /all" at the prompt that follows, and Windows will spit back the settings for every network adapter in the machine.
Old 2008-06-22, 01:24   Link #11
Ledgem
Love Yourself

You can force your machine to take a certain IP from the router in most cases. Instead of having your computer set to use DHCP (the default), give it an IP yourself (but make sure that the gateway IP is your router's IP). Even if the router is set to run as a DHCP server it will likely allow your computer to use the IP that you assigned it, as long as it is within the DHCP range. I've done this trick with a Linksys WRT54G and it worked flawlessly.

A few notes about that method: first, I recommend assigning your computer an IP that is at the end of the DHCP range. For example, if your range is 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.149, give your computer the IP of 192.168.1.149. Unlike routers that will allow you to reserve IP addresses for MAC addresses, this method does not reserve your IP with the router. For example, suppose you take the first IP (192.168.1.100) and then disconnect. Once the DHCP lease expires (usually less than 24 hours after your system connected), the router will assign that IP to the next computer that connect. If that happens and then you reconnect your computer to the router, an IP collision will occur, knocking both computers offline. Taking an IP near the end of the range ensures that you won't likely have any conflicts, unless you routinely have 50 devices requesting IPs from your router.

The second note is that it's a bit of a pain to do this, because most networks are designed with the expectation that you'll use DHCP. It's possible that you'll have to toggle this on and off each time you come to your home network and then leave it for another network. Windows XP does allow you to enter two network configurations, but I'm not how it determines which one to use. I'd recommend setting up the static IP as the "alternate configuration" but I don't know that it'll take priority on its own when it's on your home network, or that it won't activate on other networks.
Old 2008-06-22, 14:04   Link #12
loonygamer
Metal-head. Rock Artist.
*Graphic Designer

Wireless connections usually slow down your transfer speeds because it is wireless. KEYWORD: USUALLY. The connection itself is done on your modem, then transferred to the router, and then to your wireless connection on your PC. Over distance, the signal weakens, and thus your transfer rate decreases.

This is why I love wired connections. It outweighs the cons, which is just having a bunch o' wires and limited connections per router, max is 16 I do believe.

loonygamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-22, 15:20   Link #13
manganime

Thank you guys very much for everyone's input-

I went on port foward and followed step by step the method shown which was specific for my router and for my client, I even set up the static IP but it didn't seem to help, I used the ipconfig method to get information about my netwrok settings.

But when I logged into my router setup (Default Gateway address) there are 2 IP addresses, subnet masks etc. One for ADSL settings and one for LAN settings, it seesm the information I got from ipconfig was for LAN. So I setup the static IP using the details for LAN, should I try setting it up using the info for ADSL????

And even though I mentioned an inconsistency it just seems that the icon at the bottom starts off yellow for a bit but soon turns green anyway

EDIT: Using utorrent port checker it does say the port I am using is open and accepting connections. Using DSL reports for speed tests shows my download speed over 1000Kb/s and upload usually 200Kb/s-300Kb/s. Although its giving me different results from different servers, using the LA one tells me 'ISP upload compression was detected. Your upload speeds may be inaccurate' and shows me a lower upload speed.

Last edited by manganime; 2008-06-22 at 15:54.
Old 2008-06-23, 03:33   Link #14
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:

I went on port foward and followed step by step the method shown which was specific for my router and for my client, I even set up the static IP but it didn't seem to help, I used the ipconfig method to get information about my netwrok settings.

But when I logged into my router setup (Default Gateway address) there are 2 IP addresses, subnet masks etc. One for ADSL settings and one for LAN settings, it seesm the information I got from ipconfig was for LAN. So I setup the static IP using the details for LAN, should I try setting it up using the info for ADSL????

And even though I mentioned an inconsistency it just seems that the icon at the bottom starts off yellow for a bit but soon turns green anyway

EDIT: Using utorrent port checker it does say the port I am using is open and accepting connections. Using DSL reports for speed tests shows my download speed over 1000Kb/s and upload usually 200Kb/s-300Kb/s. Although its giving me different results from different servers, using the LA one tells me 'ISP upload compression was detected. Your upload speeds may be inaccurate' and shows me a lower upload speed.

when I had this problem, though not through wireless connection but splitter someone adviced me to port forward as well, though that didn't work instead the guy who brought me the pc (who fixed my mistakes made through the portforwarding steps, cause if you do soemthing wrong its bye bye internet) well he installed another bittorrent program and removed the one I was previously using, I was first using bittornado now just standard bittorrent and it fixed the problem for me
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-23, 10:27   Link #15
Antares
Haruhiist

Quote:

Use the LAN information since you're connecting to your router and not directly to the Internet company.

Quote:
This is normal behavior. When you first start your client, obviously it hasn't made any connections so the icon starts off yellow. The icon turns green once it has received incoming connections. uTorrent tests your connection by seeing if it is actually receiving data from other peers. It doesn't read settings from your laptop or router so the result isn't always instantaneous. If you see it instantaneously turns green at times, that just mean someone is connecting to you at the time you started your client.

As far as I can tell, you're connection is working properly. Your slow speed might be caused by your ISP throttling your BT connections or none of your peers are uploading at high speed. Were you using a different ISP when you were at the other house? Have you tried connecting directly to your modem and bypass the router (remember to disable static ip if you're going to try that)?
Old 2008-06-28, 11:36   Link #16
manganime

Thx for everyone's help, seems everything is ok, as i am getting a speed of 500kB/s atm