AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-06-20, 12:20   Link #61
DeotoxSlayer
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdra View Post
Demo now up on the Japanese marketplace. What language it downloads in will depend on your console, so if you have an English one the whole demo will be in English.

7mins of the English demo in HD:
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_6672_en.html

Nicovideo links for the Japanese demo:
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm3713081
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm3712891
...Why does it say Xbox 360, PS3 on Gamersyde...man every website is making this mistake now.
__________________
DeotoxSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-20, 12:40   Link #62
Varion
殲滅天使
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Send a message via AIM to Varion Send a message via MSN to Varion
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeotoxSlayer View Post
...Why does it say Xbox 360, PS3 on Gamersyde...man every website is making this mistake now.
Because they put that there originally, and it's less effort to leave it there for the inevitable PS3 port than take it out and put it back in again.
Varion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-20, 12:46   Link #63
DeotoxSlayer
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdra View Post
Because they put that there originally, and it's less effort to leave it there for the inevitable PS3 port than take it out and put it back in again.
too abd, the PS3 port will probably never reach Canada T_T
__________________
DeotoxSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-20, 13:45   Link #64
Asamidori
ボカロ廃
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Underground
Nico link to the demo playthrough, without the voice and video itself off-synch:

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm3711879

It'll jump you through all 3 parts.
__________________
MyList: Recommended Vocaloid Songs
VOCALOID | VOCALOID2
Asamidori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-21, 15:56   Link #65
Dingo
The polyphony
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
That was embarrassing, and hard to watch.You'd think after all these years of same game-different cast, remakes, spin offs, sequels, ports, adaptations, etc they would start to improve something other than the extreme anime-visuals, given how the Tales series has absolutely nothing else going for it, It might have been a good Idea.

But I guess they don't mind dishing out millions, and throwing these things at raging fans all over the world and hope for money to flow in.I mean, it has been working for the past 13 years.Not a lot of companies can do that, so props to them, and grats to microsoft on moneyhatting them, well at least for now.
Dingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-21, 22:08   Link #66
krisslanza
Sleep beneath the flowers
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lording above all of humanity >;3
Age: 24
I'm confused as to what Dingo is complaining about. Anyone else can make it out? Considering plenty of games have anime-visuals nowadays (in Japan).
__________________
krisslanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-22, 00:56   Link #67
Z3120
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo View Post
That was embarrassing, and hard to watch.You'd think after all these years of same game-different cast, remakes, spin offs, sequels, ports, adaptations, etc they would start to improve something other than the extreme anime-visuals, given how the Tales series has absolutely nothing else going for it, It might have been a good Idea.
I absolutely love the Tales of Destiny remake more than any other Tales of game ever. I wouldn't be a Tales of fan at all today if it weren't for that game...

And so what about sequels? Not like I would not have not wanted Tales of Destiny 2 considering the PS2 version of TOD was my first and most favorite Tales of game; and given its predecessor's roots and success in Japan (of course, fan following too), it was bound to have one.

I think I do realize the general gist of where you're going with your rant, but I'd have to disagree with what you're complaining about. It's not like the Tales of series hasn't improved their gameplay like the CC gauge in the Destiny remake and the 3-line Tactics & Formation system in Rebirth. And if you're going to complain about the visuals, you might as well point at the Disgaea games by Nippon Ichi at NOT improving their graphics and only concerning themselves with a few more, newer game elements and variations.

Personally, I ain't a fan at all of the 3D Tales of games (maybe except Symphonia, but still...) but if you're going to say Namco-Bandai only worries about presentation and nothing else in other areas has made improvements like gameplay (totally in love with the CC gauge in Destiny), you're wrong. Besides, while not having the most original story or most innovative - which rarely, very few games possess - games generally follow a standard formula present in such series like Final Fantasy. I've always found the Tales of games to have a great cast of characters to follow and some to love (and Motoi Sakuraba's amazing battle theme works). So until you elaborate just what exactly you're complaining about, beats me really.

Now, if you were utterly disappointed in Tales of the Abyss in terms of gameplay, I can see where you're going. Vesperia doesn't look more balanced than Abyss and it seems to have taken some Legendia roots too...
Z3120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-22, 01:44   Link #68
mandarb916
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
I'm confused as to what Dingo is complaining about. Anyone else can make it out? Considering plenty of games have anime-visuals nowadays (in Japan).
Just speculation, but i'm guessing he means that ToV is (for the most part) a jack of all trades but a master of none. Atleast from playing with the demo for a few hrs, there's really nothing that stands out about the game...it does most everything reasonably well but there was absolutely nothing memorable about it.

-The voice cast is decent, but nothing amazing (for a release this big, they should have used the same caliber of casting as Valkyria Chronicles)
-Event scenes, while full voice, are awkwardly done due to very short dialogue between pauses
-Character graphics are nice, map/backdrop graphics are nice, but they appear to almost be rendered using different graphics engines so they don't seem to mesh well with each other
-Estelle and Rita's voice acting was pretty solid, but Carol and Yuri's were substandard (see first entry)
-Battlesystem was pretty fun, but I lost interest in it rather quickly
-Crafting is instantaneous with no cutscenes for it...wish they had a small scene akin to what you might see in Ar Tonelico or Mana Khemia or what not...
-BGM/Music is lackluster...fits the mood but not much more than that...should have taken a page from Ar Tonelico/Venus&Braves (imho, the Venus Project team working on Fragile right now is probably the best game dev group BanNam has ever had...)

I might snag a copy once it hits the platinum collection used IF I grab a copy...I'm sure Tears to Tiara and Cross Edge will keep me happy with RPG's for a while though....
mandarb916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-22, 02:36   Link #69
Dingo
The polyphony
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3120 View Post
I absolutely love the Tales of Destiny remake more than any other Tales of game ever. I wouldn't be a Tales of fan at all today if it weren't for that game...

And so what about sequels? Not like I would not have not wanted Tales of Destiny 2 considering the PS2 version of TOD was my first and most favorite Tales of game; and given its predecessor's roots and success in Japan (of course, fan following too), it was bound to have one.

I think I do realize the general gist of where you're going with your rant, but I'd have to disagree with what you're complaining about. It's not like the Tales of series hasn't improved their gameplay like the CC gauge in the Destiny remake and the 3-line Tactics & Formation system in Rebirth. And if you're going to complain about the visuals, you might as well point at the Disgaea games by Nippon Ichi at NOT improving their graphics and only concerning themselves with a few more, newer game elements and variations.

Personally, I ain't a fan at all of the 3D Tales of games (maybe except Symphonia, but still...) but if you're going to say Namco-Bandai only worries about presentation and nothing else in other areas has made improvements like gameplay (totally in love with the CC gauge in Destiny), you're wrong. Besides, while not having the most original story or most innovative - which rarely, very few games possess - games generally follow a standard formula present in such series like Final Fantasy. I've always found the Tales of games to have a great cast of characters to follow and some to love (and Motoi Sakuraba's amazing battle theme works). So until you elaborate just what exactly you're complaining about, beats me really.

Now, if you were utterly disappointed in Tales of the Abyss in terms of gameplay, I can see where you're going. Vesperia doesn't look more balanced than Abyss and it seems to have taken some Legendia roots too...
I was talking about that demo walkthrough, I saw the exact same game they've been feeding people for the past decade.Ridiculous character designs, bland battle system with a new gimmick or two(the previewers seem to agree with me too?) and laughable story.Yes I realize video games aren't exactly known for their story, but there's a very fine line, between acceptable and utter mediocre trash.

And the Tales of series has repeatedly crossed that line throughout the years.Now that tells you something about this series.I wasn't complaining about the visuals, Vesperia graphics are great, very smooth and crisp.It IS one thing the Tales series is known for, that's what I said didn't I? Yes Disgaea is notorious for rehashing things, but how about you leave that for the disgaea thread.The music, I'm not a fan of the loud, jpop soundtrack the tales games often have.I think of it as rather annoying or just plain noise, so I often just mute out the BGM when possible.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is that they're not going to get me to buy their rehashes every other year.Of course there are people who don't mind, how else would the Tales series be alive?

Last edited by Dingo; 2008-06-22 at 08:03.
Dingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-22, 16:04   Link #70
Z3120
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo View Post
I was talking about that demo walkthrough, I saw the exact same game they've been feeding people for the past decade.Ridiculous character designs, bland battle system with a new gimmick or two(the previewers seem to agree with me too?) and laughable story.Yes I realize video games aren't exactly known for their story, but there's a very fine line, between acceptable and utter mediocre trash.
The thing about your argument is that it sounds like that type of criticism could be made for many countless other franchises/series for following their standard formula for games except you're focused on the Tales of games specifically for doing what other series are equally guilty of doing - more or less not going significantly past their traditional roots. That's why even though I understand what you're complaining about, it seems awkward... is the only word I can think of to describe my sentiments.

Honestly, I'm not trying to turn this into a "What's the best Tales of game", but if you're telling me some of the 2D Tales of games have bland battle systems like the Destiny remake and Rebirth, I've got something to say... Now, if you were disappointed in the 3D Tales of games so far, I wouldn't blame you; I haven't been impressed at all of what the 3D ones have offered gameplay-wise. I do see much potential in what Abyss' gameplay can offer, but it's a long way from being there even after Eternal Sonata put an interesting spin on how to balance the free-run except (different companies, I know, but there's an undeniable similarity gameplay-wise, imo) the pace is drastically slowed down with a timer, which isn't the right direction I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo
I wasn't complaining about the visuals, Vesperia graphics are great, very smooth and crisp.It IS one thing the Tales series is known for, that's what I said didn't I?
Bleh, not really for me considering Abyss wasn't exactly pleasing to the eyes. I always thought the Tales of series were more famously known more for their lively cast of characters and their unique battle system more than anything else. At least, those qualities are what I've come to know and love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo
I guess what I'm trying to get at is that they're not going to get me to buy their rehashes every other year.Of course there are people who don't mind, how else would the Tales series be alive?
The CC gauge in the Destiny remake definitely deserves to be in future developments. If you consider that a rehash, my God, how I wish it'll see future appearances. As far as I'm concerned, I'll forever be a 2D Tales of fan than the 3D ones in that case. What Destiny demonstrated to me was the delicate balance of difficulty and challenge yet ease of understanding the simple intricacies of the Weak Point and Reduce amplifiers along with the promotion of always variating your party members through each and every dungeon (or else easily fan obliteration...) is not what a simple rehash will do. Man, you need to appreciate Destiny more just like my friend who will never live without his TP points...


And sorry to always referring to Destiny remake, but it sounded like you're slighting every Tales of game made when the much better ones are Japanese exclusive imo.
Z3120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-22, 17:02   Link #71
Dingo
The polyphony
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
You are right about one thing, I am mostly talking about the 3D tales games, I haven't played much of the 2D ones, they might have been fine games, but now it's just getting old.

Quote:
The thing about your argument is that it sounds like that type of criticism could be made for many countless other franchises/series for following their standard formula for games
Maybe so, but it depends on what series we'd be talking about.There are a lot of big franchises who try a ton of new things with each new installment, but then you also have the lazy ones who will milk something for as long as it's humanly possible.

Either way, just disappointed to see so many mediocre jRPGs this gen.
Dingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-22, 17:42   Link #72
kujoe
from head to heel
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Age: 32
I kind of agree.

Personally, Tales of Vesperia reminds me of Tales of the Abyss... Sure, it's being made by the same team, but such comparisons go all the way up to character design. (The hero and the heroine look like a "reversed" Luke and Tear; there's a Guy lookalike who reminds me of Asch for some reason, etc.) But for a guy like me who loves Tales of the Abyss, this isn't bad at all.

But my expectations are higher now. I hope to be pleasantly surprised in this next (current) gen iteration, and it has to break new ground somewhere.

JRPGs are everywhere now, but I can't help feel that they lack that special something. Probably too many rehashed ideas here and there, but it has been the same more or less long ago. And yet, the best generations for JRPGs for me were the SNES and (especially) the PS1 days.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-22, 19:18   Link #73
krisslanza
Sleep beneath the flowers
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lording above all of humanity >;3
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo View Post
Maybe so, but it depends on what series we'd be talking about.There are a lot of big franchises who try a ton of new things with each new installment, but then you also have the lazy ones who will milk something for as long as it's humanly possible.

Either way, just disappointed to see so many mediocre jRPGs this gen.
Wait... Which? The biggest jRPGs that come to mind would be the "Tales of" series and Final Fantasy... And it took until FFXII (XI doesn't count as its an MMO) to even try something besides turn-based. Thats not counting the bazillion spin-offs either... Whats another big jRPG anyway?

There has to be more but they're eluding me for some reason...
__________________
krisslanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-22, 19:22   Link #74
Dingo
The polyphony
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Wasn't talking about just jRPGs.

But it's funny you ask that, I can't remember the last time I played a good jRPG.Big or small.
Dingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-22, 19:53   Link #75
Asamidori
ボカロ廃
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Underground
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
Wait... Which? The biggest jRPGs that come to mind would be the "Tales of" series and Final Fantasy... And it took until FFXII (XI doesn't count as its an MMO) to even try something besides turn-based. Thats not counting the bazillion spin-offs either... Whats another big jRPG anyway?

There has to be more but they're eluding me for some reason...
If you mean the one with the biggest fanbase... From what I remembered, in the order from the one with the most fans:

1. Dragon Quest
2. Final Fantasy
3. Tales
__________________
MyList: Recommended Vocaloid Songs
VOCALOID | VOCALOID2
Asamidori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-23, 09:27   Link #76
krisslanza
Sleep beneath the flowers
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lording above all of humanity >;3
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asamidori View Post
If you mean the one with the biggest fanbase... From what I remembered, in the order from the one with the most fans:

1. Dragon Quest
2. Final Fantasy
3. Tales
Dragon Quest! That was it! But yeah... I've never seen a jRPG series really change it up every sequal. Its usually always that same - after all why risk a good franchise by totally re-doing a game everytime?

Most games in general (series) won't break from their original formula. They know it works so why go and fiddle with it?
__________________
krisslanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-23, 11:49   Link #77
Dingo
The polyphony
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Mind numbingly mediocrity is all the rage nowadays why should the Tales Of series break away from the norm am I right or what? Come on now this entire franchise is a big fucking hack.Don't you try to put this crap on the same level as "most games" jRPGs are like the WW2 First person shooters of this new gen.Look at this, this(<--that's a male btw) is embarrassing to look at.

Last edited by Dingo; 2008-06-23 at 12:35.
Dingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-23, 18:38   Link #78
Asamidori
ボカロ廃
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Underground
Embarrassing to look at how? Why?

The anime-style graphic Tales is known for since 1995 was all I see off the two screenshots.

Or if you mean the second picture's quality...

ToS:KoR is on the Wii.
__________________
MyList: Recommended Vocaloid Songs
VOCALOID | VOCALOID2
Asamidori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-24, 03:11   Link #79
nadare
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Send a message via MSN to nadare
Feels so tales of world: Radiant Mythology. Which IMO sucked.

I love the 2d battle system than the 3d >.<
nadare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-24, 06:58   Link #80
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Belgium
Age: 28
If you think Emil looks like a female, wow, then you haven't seen much. I never thought he looked female at all.
__________________
SeaMonkey - surfing the net has never been so suite
Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rpg

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:26.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.