AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Gundam

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-06-24, 15:37   Link #661
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 29
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
That's only because none of the 1990's Gundams were not nearly as popular as Seed was. Victory and Turn A never had a chance due to their low viewership. G's main female characters were of archtypes not popular in Japan. Wing and X were overshadowed by Eva. The fact that relatively minor characters like Four and Elpeo Ple made the list shows how wrong that statement is.

No surprise that Lacus was the most popular female in the last few years, but as shown in the recent monthly polls, she's not likely to remain there for long. Look for C.C. to take that spot soon (if she hasn't already).

EDIT: BTW, what did you mean by non-Japanese? I see quite a few Japanese names on your lists...?
And yet Victory is on the Animedia poll in a healthy spot no less. Man I think U.C's popularity might be on the rise again judging by the ranking of Deikun siblings and the shows and mecha themselves. Perhaps Bandai/Sunrise might want to look into something more then just MS Igloo, like say a new U.C TV Series.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-25, 14:13   Link #662
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: At your house fixing A/C
hmm... i think in terms of story goes, the original is still the best, in terms of originality, turn A would be the top one (it actually has a very solid plot and all the gundam fans can pick out the classic ms/ma in this series), but in terms of popularity, seed is the most popular by far (at least in America), but it should say thanks to wing
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-25, 15:06   Link #663
brightman
Ancient Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
And yet Victory is on the Animedia poll in a healthy spot no less. Man I think U.C's popularity might be on the rise again judging by the ranking of Deikun siblings and the shows and mecha themselves. Perhaps Bandai/Sunrise might want to look into something more then just MS Igloo, like say a new U.C TV Series.
Yeah, that was a bit strange. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that it was the first Gundam that most contemporary otakus in Japan saw (ie people in their late teens and 20's). Considering how poorly its DVD box set fared though, I doubt that means that much.

But anyway, Sunrise has already stated that UC wasn't going away anytime soon, but as the Bandai CEO said, UC isn't going to have the mainstream appeal a TV series needs (unless they decide to finally do a late-night anime ala Macross Frontier).
__________________
Copyright © 2014 Brightman
brightman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-26, 21:21   Link #664
4Tran
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
It seems that Gundam 00 just doesn't have all that much staying power unless it's on the air. I expect that their numbers will jump up come November. While the sample sizes are awfully small, their consistency over time suggests that it's fairly accurate for the readership of those magazines.

Bandai is almost certain to never make a late-night Gundam show unless a primetime show becomes impossible to negotiate. All that would do would be to dilute the Gundam brand, and that'd be the opposite of their moves in the last little while. The only UC animated works in the offing are probably going to be OVAs at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
EDIT: BTW, what did you mean by non-Japanese? I see quite a few Japanese names on your lists...?
The names Sigel Clyne highlighted are the ones that are non-Japanese.
__________________
The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won...
4Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-27, 06:39   Link #665
Siegel Clyne
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
No surprise that Lacus was the most popular female in the last few years, but as shown in the recent monthly polls, she's not likely to remain there for long. Look for C.C. to take that spot soon (if she hasn't already).

EDIT: BTW, what did you mean by non-Japanese? I see quite a few Japanese names on your lists...?
No one is likely to repeat Lacus's dominance. Not C.C., no one.

For example, Lacus Clyne won the annual Animage Anime Grand Prix female character popularity poll four times. No other female character has won it more than two times.
Siegel Clyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-27, 20:15   Link #666
brightman
Ancient Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegel Clyne View Post
For example, Lacus Clyne won the annual Animage Anime Grand Prix female character popularity poll four times. No other female character has won it more than two times.
That's more of a factor of Lacus being in both Gundam Seed and Gundam Seed Destiny more than anything IMO. Rei and Sakura for example were both in shows that aired within a one or two year time frame.

I think with the increasing commercialization and "sequalization" of anime in Japan, there will be another character with this type of longevity.

I agree that CC won't be that dominating though, but to say that no one will repeat this is a stretch.
__________________
Copyright © 2014 Brightman
brightman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-28, 06:43   Link #667
Siegel Clyne
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
That's more of a factor of Lacus being in both Gundam Seed and Gundam Seed Destiny more than anything IMO. Rei and Sakura for example were both in shows that aired within a one or two year time frame.

I think with the increasing commercialization and "sequalization" of anime in Japan, there will be another character with this type of longevity.

I agree that CC won't be that dominating though, but to say that no one will repeat this is a stretch.
It is not a stretch.

Kinomoto Sakura (Cardcaptor Sakura) and Ayanami Rei (Evangelion) won the Favorite Female Character Category only twice in the Animage Anime Grand Prix. Excluding Lacus Clyne who has won it four times, no other female character has won more than once.

Forget C.C. Female characters from Gundam 00 fared poorly in the Animage Anime Grand Prix in comparision with female characters from other anime shows which rated less popular than Gundam 00.

EDIT: Oops! Forgot about Nadia (Nadia), who also won the favorite female character poll in the annual Animage Anime Grand Prix twice.

Last edited by Siegel Clyne; 2008-06-28 at 13:11.
Siegel Clyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-28, 09:38   Link #668
brightman
Ancient Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegel Clyne View Post
Kinomoto Sakura (Cardcaptor Sakura) and Ayanami Rei (Evangelion) won the Favorite Female Character Category only twice in the Animage Anime Grand Prix. Excluding Lacus Clyne who has won it four times, no other female character has won more than once.
Did you even read what I said? Sakura and Rei only won two times because their shows were aired over a shorter period of time. Its a stretch to say that there will not be a future show that remains more or less in the air for four years and has a popular female character.

Quote:
Forget C.C. Female characters from Gundam 00 fared poorly in the Animage Anime Grand Prix in comparision with female characters from other anime shows which rated less popular than Gundam 00.
Female characters in Gundam 00 weren't exactly likeable and barely got any screentime or development, and Mizushima admitted to being crap at depicting female characters (also a problem in Fullmetal Alchemist). So its not a surprise.

And does it matter? By all counts, Lacus's fifteen minutes of fame is over, and more deserving characters are now on top of all the lists.
__________________
Copyright © 2014 Brightman
brightman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-28, 12:25   Link #669
Eagles
Char clone
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Canada
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
Female characters in Gundam 00 weren't exactly likeable and barely got any screentime or development, and Mizushima admitted to being crap at depicting female characters (also a problem in Fullmetal Alchemist). So its not a surprise.
Well to be fair, Lacus wasn't exactly a skillful depiction of a female character, or well, a human in general. If they were going for best written/portrayed, Flay would be topping the charts.
Eagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-28, 13:02   Link #670
Siegel Clyne
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
Did you even read what I said? Sakura and Rei only won two times because their shows were aired over a shorter period of time. Its a stretch to say that there will not be a future show that remains more or less in the air for four years and has a popular female character.


Female characters in Gundam 00 weren't exactly likeable and barely got any screentime or development, and Mizushima admitted to being crap at depicting female characters (also a problem in Fullmetal Alchemist). So its not a surprise.

And does it matter? By all counts, Lacus's fifteen minutes of fame is over, and more deserving characters are now on top of all the lists.
As opposed to the poor showing by Gundam 00 female characters, Fullmetal Alchemist female characters actually have done quite well in the the favorite female character category of the Animage Anime Grand Prix. Riza Hawkeye won it once, finishing #1 in the 26th Animage Grand Prix, with Winry Rockbell finishing #3. In the 27th Animage Grand Prix, Hawkeye finished #2, Rockbell finished #7.

Whatever excuse you have given and may give in the future, the fact of the matter remains that, excluding Lacus Clyne who won it four times, Gundam female characters generally do not win annual popularity polls in Animage (and in Newtype and in Animedia).

Last edited by Siegel Clyne; 2008-06-28 at 16:29. Reason: Added link to Animage Anime Grand Prix yearly results.
Siegel Clyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-28, 16:12   Link #671
brightman
Ancient Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagles View Post
Well to be fair, Lacus wasn't exactly a skillful depiction of a female character, or well, a human in general. If they were going for best written/portrayed, Flay would be topping the charts.
Note the keyword--"Likeable". Gundam 00's females all have flaws that turn off male fans without enough traits that appeal to fanboys. Lacus is depicted as the ideal girl with all the traits that these same fans salivate over. That's the key.

For the record, Gundam Seed Destiny's [new] female characters didn't fare well in popularity polls either, for the same reason that the 00 girls didn't (serious character flaws, not likeable enough, not enough screentime, and not enough development).
__________________
Copyright © 2014 Brightman
brightman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-28, 17:40   Link #672
Eagles
Char clone
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Canada
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
Note the keyword--"Likeable". Gundam 00's females all have flaws that turn off male fans without enough traits that appeal to fanboys. Lacus is depicted as the ideal girl with all the traits that these same fans salivate over. That's the key.

For the record, Gundam Seed Destiny's [new] female characters didn't fare well in popularity polls either, for the same reason that the 00 girls didn't (serious character flaws, not likeable enough, not enough screentime, and not enough development).
You know, I somehow completely missed the word 'likeable.' Although I will say that for a character to be likeable to me he/she needs to come off with some flaws/inner conflicts (if the tone of the show is serious that is), but I guess the target audience of gundam prefers their Mary Sues. In 00 for example, I personally liked Soma's arrogant attitude and thought Feldt fit into the 'cute' category, but I also wouldn't put either of them among my favorites.
Eagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-28, 19:18   Link #673
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: At your house fixing A/C
we really need a female pilot ace as the main protagonist in gundam. as i recall in gundam starting from seed, the female best pilot that is stellar from gsd imo,
Spoiler for just to be safe:
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-28, 19:34   Link #674
Sir Dearka
Inglourious Buster
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
I personally find it amusing that Lacus was so on the top. Seems that the target audience sure lacks the devoted caring "not-necessarily-sexy" girls in real life :P
Sir Dearka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-28, 20:53   Link #675
Eagles
Char clone
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Canada
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Dearka View Post
I personally find it amusing that Lacus was so on the top. Seems that the target audience sure lacks the devoted caring "not-necessarily-sexy" girls in real life :P
I imagine the target audience may be lacking girls in real life period.
Eagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-28, 21:15   Link #676
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: At your house fixing A/C
@eagles

you must like Kihel and dianna, cuz i just finish turn A, and i like them too as strong and independant main female leads, sochie is good too, but she could be quite emoish.
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-29, 00:32   Link #677
Eidolon Sniper
Tsubasa No Kami
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Returning to my Place as the QUEEN...XD
Send a message via Yahoo to Eidolon Sniper
And I daresay, as some anon in /m/ puts it, the polls usually reflect the tastes of the intended audience of the magazine. Take it as you all will.

I also like my Gundam females to be really developed characters as well too. It could probably seen in my avatar and sig. I agree with brightman though, saying that nobody would ever come close to defeating Lacus on her winning the most favorite female character polls is quite a stretch.
__________________

Ethereal Exiled Queen. NATCH~~~!!!
Eidolon Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-29, 03:36   Link #678
Sir Dearka
Inglourious Buster
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagles View Post
I imagine the target audience may be lacking girls in real life period.
Well, to balance things, I gotta admit that so they say about most of the people who watch anime
Sir Dearka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-02, 03:50   Link #679
Last_Hope
System/Web developer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Dearka View Post
Well, to balance things, I gotta admit that so they say about most of the people who watch anime
To tip it over on the other side. That´s what they say about pretty much everyone who has a hobby that takes up a lot of time.
__________________

Want to know who did this kickass sig? Just click it!
Last_Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-02, 08:32   Link #680
Sir Dearka
Inglourious Buster
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last_Hope View Post
To tip it over on the other side. That´s what they say about pretty much everyone who has a hobby that takes up a lot of time.
Not really. Take extreme sports, for instance. Or any kind of sports, to be consequent

The collectors of paintings and other things the so-called elite consider art are also usually rich people and never lack girls. It's just that cartoons and toys... it sounds childish already. And "childish" is never a turn-on word for girls when it actually describes a guy. But guess we all know that
Sir Dearka is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:29.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.