AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Closed Thread

Old 2008-06-20, 11:18   Link #21
mdauben

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
If you try Ai Yori Aoshi, you might want to get the manga. Be warned: It's rated due to nudity.
I would second that. I think the anime actually does a very good job of adapting the manga (particularly the first season) but the manga carries the story well past the end of the second season to a true conclusion.

Of course, if the OP enjoyed Love Hina, he may want to check out that manga, too. The anime tends to get kind of rushed at the end, so the manga is a nice way to get the full story.
Old 2008-06-20, 20:10   Link #22
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Not to mention that the talented Yukino Satsuki also voices a character in AYA.

RIP, Oba-chan (1935-2008)
Old 2008-06-24, 11:52   Link #23
supremanade

Phooey! I heard about a MAJOR plot difference about the ending in the manga and anime. I've seen the anime and it sucked. Really. But then this fellow told me about something that sounds über-big change in the ending that has to do something with Naru and Keitaro. So tell me, the people who whave read the manga, is it really better than the anime? Is there really that big change of the ending?! Because i just gotta read the manga if its so!
Old 2008-06-24, 13:52   Link #24
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremanade View Post
Phooey! I heard about a MAJOR plot difference about the ending in the manga and anime. I've seen the anime and it sucked. Really. But then this fellow told me about something that sounds über-big change in the ending that has to do something with Naru and Keitaro. So tell me, the people who whave read the manga, is it really better than the anime? Is there really that big change of the ending?! Because i just gotta read the manga if its so!
Spoiler for Major Spoilers:
Old 2008-06-24, 20:55   Link #25
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Kanako's the "sister" (voiced by the often over-looked Kuwatani Natsuko).

The prof's name is Noriyasu Seta (voiced by the dependable Matsumoto Yasunori).

Old 2008-06-25, 01:35   Link #26
Phlaw
Romance Anime Demi-God

Send a message via AIM to Phlaw
normally, you read the book, and then watch the movie. stuff like lord of the rings, catch 22, Avengers movies (Spiderman, Iron man, Hulk) however with anime i do it completly opposite. I tend the watch the anime first, and then if i truly truly enjoy it, will read the manga.

mostly because I have access to dubs faster then i have access to translated manga.

/enough of my life story

Love Hina and Ai Yori Aoshi are both excellent animes, its no wonder they call Ai Yori Aoshi "the Japanese Love Hina" Since it has the same heart felt love, but expresses it more in a "traditional" Japanese style (think Ziabatsu, Kimonos, Tea Ceremonies, Betrothals)

IS the manga a lot different then the Anime? To answer your question supremanade, yes. There are Very big differences, from mannerism's to the way Keitaro is treated, the last scenes with Naru. everything

The same with AI Yori Aoshi

in the end
Spoiler for AI ending:

however, if u really think that Love Hina "sucked" don't bother. The Plot is somewhat different yes. but to say it sucked irritates me to a great extent...

Last edited by Phlaw; 2008-06-26 at 05:38. Reason: flaming
Old 2008-06-25, 07:30   Link #27
Esyrja

I think I understand exactly what you mean about non dramatic romance. It's wierd to me but it seems that a lot of people think that drama/angst=romance...makes you wonder what kinds of relationships they've had or seen, but I'm getting off track.

The question about Love Hina's been answered, so I'll focus on the second part of your post since its something I look for in anime as well:

Mamoru-kun ni Megami no Shukufuku wo: If you can get past the main male lead's model, this show's great for heartwarming romance. It starts out strong, and I personally think that the female lead's one of the cuter one's I've seen in an anime. Ironically while the main male lead looks to be about 9 years old in some scenes, he tends to act far more maturely than about 90% of male leads in romance anime.

Seconding Oh! My Goddess: One of my all time favourites, althou its not perfect, but it is heartwarming and does not have any serious relationship drama. Obviously the way that Keichi acts sometimes is enough to make you want to pull out your hair, but still I definetly consider this one worth watching.

Crest/Banner of the stars: Both seasons of both shows are terrific. It's by no means a pure romance, but it does have some wonderful character and relationship development. The two main characters span the whole series, and the relationship they share grows the whole time, and amazingly enough they almost seem to be....mature.

Seto no Hanayome: While this is definetly a comedy show, if you can see past all the jokes and look at the way the two main characters interact and grow, you can definetly see the romantic aspect of this show. Althou don't really expect any overt episodes of romance as such, but still definetly not dramatic, and a great show.

Onegai Teacher: Some small drama but not a heartbreaker by any means, definetly a worthwile show to watch.

Narue no Sekai/World of Narue: A rather short show at 12 episodes, and the last episode made me feel that there should have been a lot more to tell about the story, but nonetheless, a rather sweet, nondramatic story, definetly worth watching. By the way, the manga's still ongoing, at least according to wikipedia.

As far as the manga/anime goes, from what I've seen, no anime ever comes close to finishing the story, most of the time because the manga is still being written when they make the last episode, this leads to one of two things: 1. They make up a different ending for the anime, or 2. They just leave the story unfinished.

For me, I like to finish the story of the characters with reading the manga after watching the anime, just to get a sense of...closure I suppose. I find it hard to just leave the story halfway finished after spending so many hours with the characters, if you know what I mean.
Old 2008-06-26, 13:02   Link #28
supremanade

Yeah i know what you mean. Ive always hated Love Hina (althu now you have convinced me that the manga actually might be worth reading ), but when i watched three episodes, i didnt stop. Its not like i got hooked or anything, i just wanted to get a full image of it.

Oh and about the drama/angst you mentioned. Im not talking about that kind of stuff, i just think that the anime Love Hina didnt have any kind of romancy in it. At least, anything interesting or touching. Only the Shinobu's "impossible" love towards Keitaro was pretty :P But it wasnt anything special, and kinda useless.
Im watching Ah! My Goddess right now and i know what you mean by that warmness. Its great, romance doesnt NEED anything dramatic, but clearly mr-director-of-the-love-hina-anime cant create anything beatiful and/or romantic between two characters, so adding some drama-love couldve maybe saved the series -.- at least, thats my opinion.
Old 2008-06-26, 14:06   Link #29
Phlaw
Romance Anime Demi-God

sighh i hate you for so many reasons.

Love Hina wasn't supposed to be touching anime, that made you cry. it is a romance/harem/comedy. Just because the series wasn't emotionally deep enough has no bearing on the anime "sucking". to say that is a biased and unfounded comment. The awards and acclaim it has won, as well as being known as one of the original love animes, it certiantly would seem as tho millions of others disagree with you. If you don't like it fine, i don't agree, but i'll accept that. as For Ken Akamatsu, the creator, the guy is one of my Heros, and his Manga work is unlike anything you will ever read. Love Hina, Negima, and AI love you, are all original masterpeices and his work continues to inspire new Mangakas.
Old 2008-06-26, 19:53   Link #30
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlaw View Post
sighh i hate you for so many reasons.

Love Hina wasn't supposed to be touching anime, that made you cry. it is a romance/harem/comedy. Just because the series wasn't emotionally deep enough has no bearing on the anime "sucking". to say that is a biased and unfounded comment. The awards and acclaim it has won, as well as being known as one of the original love animes, it certiantly would seem as tho millions of others disagree with you. If you don't like it fine, i don't agree, but i'll accept that. as For Ken Akamatsu, the creator, the guy is one of my Heros, and his Manga work is unlike anything you will ever read. Love Hina, Negima, and AI love you, are all original masterpeices and his work continues to inspire new Mangakas.
I am not an avid Akamatsu supporter, simply because he has moved from "underdog" to the "500 pound gorilla" in Shounen Magazine. See the Negima manga thread for his perks and income.

Old 2008-06-27, 01:42   Link #31
Phlaw
Romance Anime Demi-God

an underdog that achieves is no longer an underdog, hes a winner. An underdog that doesn't, becomes a loser.

I'm a republican (lets not get into politics) but being said that, I believe that someone who can go from nothing to greatness, deserves every bit of greatness they acquire. Yes Akamatsu was a nobody, and now hes a (anime/manga) household name. This wasn't by chance, it was by an amazing talent and knowing what the reader wanted and provided as such.

Quote:
Akamatsu had added elements of his own life experiences to the story, and this was said to have induced a unique feeling to the manga especially for Western readers, whose lack of familiarity with Japanese culture for the most part added to the effect. The series, published in America in 2002, was especially well received in many overseas countries - Akamatsu was surprised that even foreign readers found Love Hina to be "cute" and to their liking.
"taken from - Wiki "

BTW Negima 2 inc? sexy
Old 2008-06-27, 04:17   Link #32
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
an underdog that achieves is no longer an underdog, hes a winner. An underdog that doesn't, becomes a loser.

I'm a republican (lets not get into politics) but being said that, I believe that someone who can go from nothing to greatness, deserves every bit of greatness they acquire. Yes Akamatsu was a nobody, and now hes a (anime/manga) household name. This wasn't by chance, it was by an amazing talent and knowing what the reader wanted and provided as such.

"taken from - Wiki "

BTW Negima 2 inc? sexy
Household name he's definitely not (Anyone who never reads Shounen Magazine has never heard of him). Once his works becomes as diverse as CLAMP's, let me know. Also, to add, "500 pound gorilla" in SM is very different from "500 pound gorilla" in SJ.

SM needs a money roller series, so they chose him, since his story has the setting for such a possibility.

Last edited by yezhanquan; 2008-06-27 at 05:48.
Old 2008-06-27, 15:13   Link #33
Phlaw
Romance Anime Demi-God

CLAMP is a super group tho. its like saying You remember Ted Nugent for The Amboy Dukes. Whereas most people will know the Nug For the band, "Damn Yankees" when you have a superstar cast that can offer many diverse ideas, it can be possible for them to be way more popular then a single writer. Bottom line. you used a bad example. ALSO i've never read an Issue of Shounen Magazine, Yet i seem to be a pretty hard core Akamatsu Fan.... weird
Old 2008-06-27, 16:34   Link #34
james0246

Quote:
CLAMP is a super group tho. its like saying You remember Ted Nugent for The Amboy Dukes. Whereas most people will know the Nug For the band, "Damn Yankees" when you have a superstar cast that can offer many diverse ideas, it can be possible for them to be way more popular then a single writer. Bottom line. you used a bad example. ALSO i've never read an Issue of Shounen Magazine, Yet i seem to be a pretty hard core Akamatsu Fan.... weird
Shounen Magazine has put out, Hajime no Ippo (still running since 1989), GTO (and its various prequels), Rave Master, Suzuka, Samurai Deeper Kyo, GetBackers, all of Akamatsu's works, Air Gear, Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle , School Rumble and various other hit manga projects. Shounen Magazine is the current second leading manga publication magazine in Japan, and recently (after Slam Dunk and DBZ ended in Shounen Jump) has been number 1 many times in the past (around 1997 to 2002).

I believe that Mahou Sensei Negima is the current flagship title, but I think it only gained that position in the past year or two. Akamatsu is big, there is no doubt about that, and he has worked his ass off to get where he is. I have a great deal of respect for the man, and his work is still continuing to evolve and grow to this day (ask any critic and they will say that each of his work is better than the previous).

Last edited by james0246; 2008-06-27 at 18:34.
Old 2008-06-27, 19:20   Link #35
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by james3wk View Post
Shounen Magazine has put out, Hajime no Ippo (still running since 1989), GTO (and its various prequels), Rave Master, Suzuka, Samurai Deeper Kyo, GetBackers, all of Akamatsu's works, Air Gear, Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle , School Rumble and various other hit manga projects. Shounen Magazine is the current second leading manga publication magazine in Japan, and recently (after Slam Dunk and DBZ ended in Shounen Jump) has been number 1 many times in the past (around 1997 to 2002).

I believe that Mahou Sensei Negima is the current flagship title, but I think it only gained that position in the past year or two. Akamatsu is big, there is no doubt about that, and he has worked his ass off to get where he is. I have a great deal of respect for the man, and his work is still continuing to evolve and grow to this day (ask any critic and they will say that each of his work is better than the previous).
... Thanks for the heads-up. Now, I understand why the editors @WSJ are so caught up with the DBZ formula (because it bloody worked with the current 3 Kings of WSJ).

Well, I shall continue to see Negima's progression. My personal favourite was GetBackers, but I'll admit that I don't read any WSM titles seriously now. With selective watching, I must admit that I've become partial to Bleach, and DGM is definitely on my radar, which reminds me...

Edit: I can't believe you left out Agi Tadashi, who under his many pen-names contributed the stories of Kindaichi, Getbackers and Psychometer Eiji (He worked with the mangaka for most of his works), among others.

Old 2008-06-28, 07:06   Link #36
supremanade

So tell me, what exactly is Love Hina supposed to be? As long as i remember, it didn't make me laugh. It didn't make me think. It didn't make me smarter. It didn't make me happy or sad. Maybe i just don't like it? Maybe, but im going to start reading the manga tomorrow. After im done reading, i'll tell you my new opinion. Who knows, maybe i'll like it ^^

P.S. Please don't hate me, Phlaw im sure you don't like every single manga/anime i like, so i don't need to like every manga/anime you like <3
Old 2008-06-28, 07:39   Link #37
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Read the manga. The anime also did nothing to me. If anything, I learnt how to cringe from it.

Old 2008-06-28, 11:16   Link #38
Phlaw
Romance Anime Demi-God

nah i don't hate you. it was a joke more then anything.

Love Hina is a Comedy/Romance/Harem/Fan-Service/Slice of Life/School Anime.

was it the best of every genre? nah there is no way.

Amaenaideyo was probably a better Harem.
Love Love was probably a better fan service.
I thought School Days was a great school anime
Da Capo is probably one of my favorite romance animes.
and i thought welcome to the NHK was hilarious.

But What Love Hina did was. it took all those elements. and used them together to bring more people into anime. It was funny. but compared to many other animes. i could see why you could say it wasn't. it wasn't as funny as many others. IT did have romance. But it wasn't something that made your heart hurt when it went wrong. It was many things, but most of all. it's over all collaboration of all the elements i like, is what made it a great anime for me. It allowed for westerners who had yet get into anime, find an anime that they could some what relate to. I can't think of many American Cartoons that were a Harem. but as for subtle romance, School types, and comedy's there are a ton. it helped you relate to what you knew, while breaking you into a new genre as well.
Old 2008-06-30, 06:16   Link #39
supremanade

Well that actually DOES make sense...
Closed Thread