AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Macross

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-07-04, 20:07   Link #561
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Something tells me that Sheryl will:

1. End up very lonely
2. End up losing the status of Galactic Fairy
3. End up losing her career to Ranka
4. Poisoned to the point where she is no longer able to sing
5. Suffering from depression and contemplating suicide

To resolve these issues however, there is an obvious cure. . .

- Tak
Open up a Nyan Nyan chain?
Westlo is offline  
Old 2008-07-04, 20:08   Link #562
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
I don't think Sheryl's the type to try and commit suicide.
__________________
God is on the side with the biggest cannon.

http://sining83.blogspot.com
evil|plushie is offline  
Old 2008-07-04, 20:08   Link #563
Tak
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Neu Herzogtum Zeon
Quote:
Originally Posted by evil|plushie View Post
I don't think Sheryl's the type to try and commit suicide.
She only has her willpower. When that is gone, who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Open up a Nyan Nyan chain?
With Sheryl as the dancing mascot? That I would love to see.

- Tak
Tak is offline  
Old 2008-07-04, 20:14   Link #564
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
She only has her willpower. When that is gone, who knows.
And there is a difference between contemplating and trying to commit suicide, I wonder how she will react to Grace's "death" in the next few episodes once things calm down... more of interest is how she will react to Grace's reappearance in whatever form that may be. Grace will emotional uppercut Sheryl when she reveals Sheryl's past, her childhood memories are so obviously fake.
Westlo is offline  
Old 2008-07-04, 20:19   Link #565
Wesley84
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
And there is a difference between contemplating and trying to commit suicide, I wonder how she will react to Grace's "death" in the next few episodes once things calm down... more of interest is how she will react to Grace's reappearance in whatever form that may be. Grace will emotional uppercut Sheryl than when she reveals Sheryl's past, her childhood memories are so obviously fake.
I honestly don't expect Sheryl's past to amount to much of anything. No big mindfucks for Sheryl I'm afraid.
Wesley84 is offline  
Old 2008-07-04, 20:45   Link #566
Darial
Otaku in disguise
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Somewhere in Cyberspace
I think Sheryl has a rough ride ahead in the next couple episodes. Tak has it at least partly right on the woes that might/will befall her in the near future (I don't buy the suicide part, but some of the other ones are quite plausable). By the look of it, Sheryl's only half way down to the bottom so far (courtesy of Grace). I think she's probably going to get smacked around a bit more in the next few episodes (episode 15's synopsis definitely paints it that way). So the question is how will Sheryl perform in the face of adversity?

So far in every tough situation, Sheryl has deal with it through her supreme self-confidence and willpower. The interesting question is when she hit rock bottom (i.e. see Tak's hypothesis above), how will she react. There are three possibilities IMHO:

1. The unbreakable Sheryl - she crawl out of whatever tough situations she's in through sheer force of will and spunk like she always did.

2. Alto-Hime to the rescue - Sheryl cracks under the strain and lose it. Alto picks her up emotionally and cares for her.

3. Some combination of above, such as Sheryl only needed a little jump-start from Alto, etc.

It will be interesting to see how the writers plot this out. Whatever happens, I hope Sheryl comes out stronger and happier for it.
Darial is offline  
Old 2008-07-04, 20:51   Link #567
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
I'd prefer it if she picked herself up through her own will, although Alto-hime could try to rescue her only to realise that she's stronger than him.
__________________
God is on the side with the biggest cannon.

http://sining83.blogspot.com
evil|plushie is offline  
Old 2008-07-04, 21:03   Link #568
Wesley84
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
As long as Sheryl has her music, and now apparently and probably flying, I don't really think she's as bad off as you all seem to think she is. Sheryl losing Grace means she'll have to find someone, possibly several someones, to handle her affairs. If she finds out she was being manipulated by Grace, she'd probably just shrug it off like. Was there really all that much to indicate they were somehow close?

Sheryl losing her monopoly on Alto, well, why should that especially bother her? Unless she literally thinks of him as her property, in which case, she seriously needs to get bent and die.
Wesley84 is offline  
Old 2008-07-04, 21:09   Link #569
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Considering Grace was pretty much the only other person we've seen in Sheryls' life so far, it's unlikely that she'll just shrug off Grace trying to KILL her. I mean, she may shrug off her manager leaving her or dying, but trying to kill her? That's on another scale entirely.

And I don't think anyone has mentioned that Sheryl has a monopoly on Alto.
__________________
God is on the side with the biggest cannon.

http://sining83.blogspot.com
evil|plushie is offline  
Old 2008-07-04, 21:15   Link #570
CaptGloval
New Macross soon
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Macross 30 Emigration Fleet
Well on thing worth knowing is how far back had Grace been in Sheryl's life. If Grace had actually raised her up, that would be very interesting (there had been speculations on Grace's purpose for doing so). For instance why would she give Sheryl the Nome surname?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymphonicRain View Post
But to see Alto together with a loli character just feels so wrong wrong wrong wrong to me. Its like a pedophile which turns me off completely as well as ruin the image and impression.

Unless Alto is a loli himself, I am having great difficulty accepting a picture of Alto and Ranka in a lovey lovey image.
Well, in ep 13 we now have a picture of Ranka when she was younger. We also had one for Alto in ep 11, and he's a loli in there so with some fanart magic...
CaptGloval is offline  
Old 2008-07-04, 21:24   Link #571
Wesley84
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by evil|plushie View Post
Considering Grace was pretty much the only other person we've seen in Sheryls' life so far, it's unlikely that she'll just shrug off Grace trying to KILL her. I mean, she may shrug off her manager leaving her or dying, but trying to kill her? That's on another scale entirely.
So you think Sheryl would try to get some kind of revenge? It's either that or shrug it off as far I can see. And personally, I don't think they were that close so Grace dying or betraying her wouldn't be a particular burdeon on her mind. Now, if Grace pops up and gloats over how she/he played Sheryl, then all bets are off.

Quote:
And I don't think anyone has mentioned that Sheryl has a monopoly on Alto.
So why is this a low point for Sheryl then? She screwed up the relief mission and Alto's birthday. Does Ranka coming in to salvage the situation make things somehow worse for Sheryl?
Wesley84 is offline  
Old 2008-07-04, 21:30   Link #572
Darial
Otaku in disguise
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Somewhere in Cyberspace
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptGloval View Post
Well, in ep 13 we now have a picture of Ranka when she was younger. We also had one for Alto in ep 11, and he's a loli in there so with some fanart magic...
Chibi-Alto + Chibi-Ranka = major facepalm
Darial is offline  
Old 2008-07-04, 21:32   Link #573
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darial View Post
Chibi-Alto + Chibi-Ranka = major facepalm
Ehhh, not really, that'll be kind of cute! Ranka and Alto's kid shots are so adorable, kid-Ranka makes you want to cuddle her so badly... makes me sad that I couldn't support Alto/Ranka given how the pairing formed the way it did.
cheesie is offline  
Old 2008-07-04, 21:36   Link #574
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Please, when did I say Sheryl would try to get some sort of revenge? Please try and at least comprehend what I'm saying without trying to twist it. I was saying that Sheryl wouldn't just shrug off Grace's attempted assassination of her like that. She'd probably feel down about it because one of the few people she seems to know for any period of time just tried to kill her. I can't say whether they were very close, but the truth of the matter is that Grace is one of the few people that is constantly around Sheryl. Not to mention she's also Sheryls manager, which seems to indicate that they probably did spend a fair bit of time together and Sheryl didn't dislike her. It's like if you had a working partner whom you got along decently enough with and thought the feeling was mutual but then suddenly it turns out this working partner has been poisoning you and wants to kill you. Nobody is going to just shrug off this revelation.

Also, when did anyone mention that Sheryl has a monopoly on Alto? Or is this just your own personal opinion?

And I would think why it's obviously a low point for Sheryl. She likes Alto. Alto seems to like Ranka. Relationship 101, people get disappointed when the people they like seem to like other people instead. There's nothing to indicate that Sheryl had a monopoly on Alto or that she views him as a possession.
__________________
God is on the side with the biggest cannon.

http://sining83.blogspot.com
evil|plushie is offline  
Old 2008-07-04, 21:53   Link #575
Wesley84
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by evil|plushie View Post
Please, when did I say Sheryl would try to get some sort of revenge? Please try and at least comprehend what I'm saying without trying to twist it. I was saying that Sheryl wouldn't just shrug off Grace's attempted assassination of her like that. She'd probably feel down about it because one of the few people she seems to know for any period of time just tried to kill her. I can't say whether they were very close, but the truth of the matter is that Grace is one of the few people that is constantly around Sheryl. Not to mention she's also Sheryls manager, which seems to indicate that they probably did spend a fair bit of time together and Sheryl didn't dislike her. It's like if you had a working partner whom you got along decently enough with and thought the feeling was mutual but then suddenly it turns out this working partner has been poisoning you and wants to kill you. Nobody is going to just shrug off this revelation.
The series hasn't really attempted to portray Sheryl and Grace as close. Grace has appeared bemused and seems to know Sheryl's needs fairly well, but that can be seen as a person enjoying their job while also being very good at it. At the most that I can think of is the note Sheryl left behind on the mirror for Grace to find, but that's not all that good an indicator is it?

So you think she'll be depressed because Sheryl had a close association with Grace, where I think she'll either be angry or shrug it off because there's nothing she can do about it.

Quote:
And I would think why it's obviously a low point for Sheryl. She likes Alto. Alto seems to like Ranka. Relationship 101, people get disappointed when the people they like seem to like other people instead. There's nothing to indicate that Sheryl had a monopoly on Alto or that she views him as a possession.
When has Alto ever given Sheryl the impression that he especially liked Ranka? Hell, when has Ranka ever given Sheryl the impression that she especially liked Alto? We as viewers seem to be projecting our perspective onto Sheryl. The low point has nothing to do with Alto liking someone other than Sheryl. It's the fact she screwed up the relief mission and his birthday.

As for monopoly and possession, who was it Sheryl called slave and repeatedly called on to help her with her PR work?
Wesley84 is offline  
Old 2008-07-04, 22:09   Link #576
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
She'll probably be depressed, hurt AND angry. But will she want revenge? I don't think so. But either way, she definitely won't just shrug it off like you initially claimed.

And right now we're talking about how Sheryl seems to perceive Alto's feelings. I didn't bring up any mention about Ranka giving Sheryl the impression she liked Alto (though she does seem to) but right now, with the events of ep 12 and 13, it's easy to see how Sheryl gets the impression that Alto likes Ranka. More than her anyway. -_-

And again, you're the one who seems to think that her screwing up her relief mission and Altos birthday is the cause of the low point. Because I don't think that Sheryl will be too directly upset by those events in the long run. But perhaps because of the consequences of those events, such as any potential loss of fame or the shift in Altos relationship to Ranka.

Let's look at the context of the 'slave' calling. That was cause Alto had lost her earring hence he had to be her slave to repay it. But was it meant in the context that indicated that Alto was her possession? I don't really think so since in the end of that episode, she forgave him anyway. And repeatedly calling upon him for her work is hardly a sign of a monopoly. Is the fact that Ranka calls upon Alto repeatedly for advice/encouragement/attending concerts/etc a sign of a monopoly?I don't think so either.
__________________
God is on the side with the biggest cannon.

http://sining83.blogspot.com
evil|plushie is offline  
Old 2008-07-04, 22:25   Link #577
Wesley84
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by evil|plushie View Post
She'll probably be depressed, hurt AND angry. But will she want revenge? I don't think so. But either way, she definitely won't just shrug it off like you initially claimed.
Sheryl has shrugged things off before though. Like with the earring. And the fact that Grace will be presumed dead means that the betrayal will be revealed at a later time, if ever. With events long since past, an emotional response to the news will likely be one of anger, and the rational response will likely be one of revenge or indifference depending upon Sheryl's ability to enact the former.

Quote:
And right now we're talking about how Sheryl seems to perceive Alto's feelings. I didn't bring up any mention about Ranka giving Sheryl the impression she liked Alto (though she does seem to) but right now, with the events of ep 12 and 13, it's easy to see how Sheryl gets the impression that Alto likes Ranka. More than her anyway. -_-
Why would Sheryl think Alto likes Ranka? Because he's flying her home? Because he's screaming "WE HAVE TO SAAAVVVEEE HEEERRR!" over and over again? It might make sense for Sheryl to think he especially likes Ranka because of the latter since he's never expressed that kind of passion to Sheryl, but there's nothing from Episode 12 that would make Sheryl think that. Nothing she'd be aware of anyway (being sick in bed and all that).

Quote:
And again, you're the one who seems to think that her screwing up her relief mission and Altos birthday is the cause of the low point. Because I don't think that Sheryl will be too directly upset by those events in the long run. But perhaps because of the consequences of those events, such as any potential loss of fame or the shift in Altos relationship to Ranka.
I agree. She'll get over it, because it's not really a big deal in the long run. Hence the low point is not all that bad and won't require a Herculean effort to pull herself out of.

Quote:
Let's look at the context of the 'slave' calling. That was cause Alto had lost her earring hence he had to be her slave to repay it. But was it meant in the context that indicated that Alto was her possession? I don't really think so since in the end of that episode, she forgave him anyway. And repeatedly calling upon him for her work is hardly a sign of a monopoly. Is the fact that Ranka calls upon Alto repeatedly for advice/encouragement/attending concerts/etc a sign of a monopoly?I don't think so either.
Yes, I know the whole slave thing was made in jest. Fact still is he's been spending alot of time with Sheryl at her request, without all that much protest. Not that he's got much else to do when he's not at school or flying for the SMS (what the hell did he do with himself before working for them? He didn't seem to have a job before then, he's estranged from home and the family business. Did he go home everyday after school and fold planes til it was time for bed?)
Wesley84 is offline  
Old 2008-07-05, 01:37   Link #578
justinstrife
Queen Sheryl's Protector
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: John Galt Railroad
Age: 34
Send a message via AIM to justinstrife Send a message via Skype™ to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisis View Post
Ehhh, not really, that'll be kind of cute! Ranka and Alto's kid shots are so adorable, kid-Ranka makes you want to cuddle her so badly... makes me sad that I couldn't support Alto/Ranka given how the pairing formed the way it did.
Screw that. I want chibi-Sheryl.
__________________
justinstrife is offline  
Old 2008-07-05, 02:21   Link #579
CaptGloval
New Macross soon
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Macross 30 Emigration Fleet
^Actually IIRC chibi-Sheryl appeared in ep 6, so it's all good!
CaptGloval is offline  
Old 2008-07-05, 02:49   Link #580
justinstrife
Queen Sheryl's Protector
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: John Galt Railroad
Age: 34
Send a message via AIM to justinstrife Send a message via Skype™ to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptGloval View Post
^Actually IIRC chibi-Sheryl appeared in ep 6, so it's all good!
A half second flashback doesn't count. We need a full blown episode of her.
__________________
justinstrife is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
characters

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:14.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.